• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashay

Faaaaaarfetch'd!
Years
Right, I have a glitch here, I just went to the Elite 4 to train my Charizard, and this is like the 70th time im there, then something happens... My rival comes when Im close to the stairs! And then he fights me! I mean thats only supposed to happen the first time ;_;

Prinny

Prinny Overlord
Years
It's not as much a glitch as much as an error caused by sharking, but i found it today in Pokemon Brown, though since it is a hack of red, i'll assume it works in as well.

make sure you have the face lv 99 (or whatever number) enemies gameshark code in.

Go into battle with the code off.

Defeat the enemy, as their health bar drains to zero, but before the game tells you that it faints (while the enemy is still on the screen), turn the code on.

When you recieve experience it will say you leveled up to 99, but when you check your pokemon in the pause menu, your level is the same, but your stats are suped up.

Haven't experimented with it much, nor did i continue the game after that (i restarted it without saving).

I guess its helpful, but use at your own discrecion doods.

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2008
i catched a level 128 huanter i then leveled it up to level 255 and back down to 0 for the long health thingy glitch ithen releveled it up to l68 i went and battled a tentacool, i thten used hypnios and then dream eater tentacool lost all life but he still stayed up huanter started losing HP and it wouldn't stop i put my SP on charge and left it for half an hour and it was still going!! i left it for another hour and it finally stoped

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2008
Yay!

luckily no glitches happen to my ds, they never have and i don't no why

Years
When somehow my Silver game's internal battery ran dry, i threw it on the ground and tried it again. To my surprise, the game was in black and white, not like in Red & Blue, but the whole backround except for the text and cut outs of the trainers and scenary was Black, and the things i just listed were white. Too bad i turned it off because it went back to normal after that.

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
Years
This is exactly what my friend just told me.

"something is totally wrong with my yellow version.
i was in victory road, when i climbed the ladder
once i got to the other floor, the start menu came up.
i thought it was a little strange, but ignored it.
but once i closed the menu
a Lv.7 staryu attacked, a staryu in victory road!"

~!~Miss Cow~!~

drewbermon

drewbermon
Years
  • Age 31
  • utah
  • Seen May 17, 2008
MEW GLITCH! HOW TO CATCH A MEW ON RBY!

heres how i caught mew (two of them actually) on blue version.

To acquire Mew at the earliest point possible in the game, one must not have defeated the Youngster with the Lv. 17 Slowpoke on Route 25 (The glitch also works with the Swimmer♂ in Cerulean Gym, meaning two Mews are avaliable) or the Junior Trainer (the one who says "I saw your feat from the grass" when you begin a battle with him) on Route 24 in the grass. It is prudent to save before doing this. Defeat Nugget Bridge as per the usual, battling your way to the Youngster but do not engage a battle with him.
Make sure you have lots of Pokéballs before attempting this glitch.
Return to Route 24 and catch or trade over an Abra. Place the Abra in your party if it isn't, then return to Route 24 if you were not there already. Stand in front of the Junior Trainer, but out of range of his sight. Move down until he sees you, but when he does, immediately press START. Then use Teleport with your new Abra. If done correctly, the trainer should get the indicative exclamation mark as you Teleport.
Notice your menu will not work. Head North towards Route 25 to the Youngster and battle him. Do not battle anything or anyone else or talk to anyone before you do. This includes the Youngster. You must engage in battle by him seeing you, not by walking towards him, as walking towards him will cause the game to freeze.
After defeating the Youngster, walk towards Cerulean City. After a small amount of steps, your start menu should appear. Press the B button and you should begin a battle against a Lv. 7 Mew, which is not difficult to catch.
If used on other trainers other than the Youngster It will often be a different Pokémon (depending on trainer's Pokémon's Special stat), e.g. the Lass below the Youngster will result in a Lapras, which is normally only avaliable at Silph Co.

i got this from bulbapedia.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2009
I once tried to do the Mew Glitch in Yellow, but since I already beat the youngster and the old guy in front of that house, so I tried other trainers. The game froze and crashed several times, and somehow, that caused one of the motors in my GBASP to ''die'', so I was only able to play GB/GBC games.

Three months later, I got pissed at my GBASP, and I smacked it into a wall. After that, it worked again.

Weird.

Last edited:

Meilynn

happy ice cream.
Years
I'm not sure if this is a real glitch, but today I restarted my pokemon red game. I caught a metapod and it made the sound of a gastly. When I turned the game back on it was normal again. Has this ever happened to any of you?

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
Years
I once tried to do the Mew Glitch in Yellow, but since I already beat the youngster and the old guy in front of that house, so I tried other trainers. The game froze and crashed several times, and somehow, that caused one of the motors in my GBASP to ''die'', so I was only able to play GB/GBC games.

Three months later, I got pissed at my GBASP, and I smacked it into a wall. After that, it worked again.

Weird.

One time my brother's gameboy SP wouldn't play GBA games and only GB and GBC games. He got a new SP about a year later, and then I found his old SP. I told him, and he told me that it didn't work, so I stuck my FireRed version in it, and it started working again.

I'm not sure if this is a real glitch, but today I restarted my pokemon red game. I caught a metapod and it made the sound of a gastly. When I turned the game back on it was normal again. Has this ever happened to any of you?

Maybe your game is just like that because it's old. My friend was playing her Yellow version, and a Level 7 Staryu appeared at Victory Road(see my previous post). Another time she was in Pallet Town in her Yellow version, and this person started sliding to the side (no, they didn't walk, they slid), so I'm guessing it's like that because it's old.
My cousin's Pokemon Silver and my friend's Pokemon Crystal would always delete any saved data whenever you turned the game off, but that's because it's old.

MightyMightyena

<== Shiny Mightyena Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2014
I restarted my Emerald yesterday and when I got out of the truck at the beginning I was teleported to a house in Petalburg...might be because I had my AR on with the walk through walls thing (so I can get a custom starter..wee!) but I dont think that would teleport me to the same house over and over again would it?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 26, 2024
Found this one myself:

1. Deposit the key to the cinnabar gym.
2. Surf along the area between land and water on the right side of the island upwards 'til you reach the square before the gym.
3. Walk left until you are in front of the Gym door and when the locked door message comes up you will see an old man standing on the roof.
4. When the message window close and you step away from the door you will notice the old man back on the ground again.

Not able to confirm how this happens but whatever:
My sister occasionally caught pre-nicknamed pokemon in the power plant on her red version.

My cousin's Pokemon Silver and my friend's Pokemon Crystal would always delete any saved data whenever you turned the game off, but that's because it's old.
Sounds like they need new internal batteries.

i dont fell like reading this whole thing
but here is the SS ANNE glitch, how to get back on the SS ANNE

once the ss anne has set sail you actually CAN get back on it

1. try to enter the ss anne, the man will tell you it set sail and push you back.
2. move to the right facing the water and press START right away...i mean RIGHT AWAY.
3. now save and then restart your game
4. you will still be facing the water and now surf.
5. you will now be surfing on the man, surf down and now you can get on the ss anne
Another way is to never get the Cut HM and just trade over a pokemon that has Cut.

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Either that or just lose in the SS Anne after you get Cut. Unfortunately- it won't work in FRLG.

gameshark

CHEAT POWER!!!
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2008
Glitch city (not real ones tho!)

i found a glitch city without the use of the safari! you kinda need walk through walls...but oh well! fly to saffron with walk through walls on. at the pokecenter dont go in but go 2 spaces to the left. head downwards and dont change course. the first bit is a ghost town with 2 houses and a pokecenter. do not stop heading south! if you explore it the games crashes. keep heading south until you find a glitchy place. you cant explore but its quite cool. you can do the same thing in a few cities. go to the pokeleague in indigo platue and before moving move left twice and head down. (its a quite strange way of getting a glitch).

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I had caught a lot of LM4s on Pokemon Blue (one of them turned out to be a Rhydon that knew 'transform' ^^) and once I caught an 'M' before it resetted my game T____T but did you know that you can battle a Rocket Pokemon in the game?! :D

gameshark

CHEAT POWER!!!
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2008
Random glitches

sometimes in the older games glitches will happen at random. ive had item shuffling and bicycle dissapearing and a couple of different sprites and a couple of running pikachus. but there is a great glitch were the game goes upside down.

Years
Glitches make pokemon more fun than they are already are!
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
images%3Fq%3Dpokemon%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 17, 2011
Thats the MissingNo. glitch..
Well i saw a glitch about pokemon stats, i havent tried it though.. it was something about if you deposit your pokemon into your box its stats will be changed, based on how much EXP it has.

Yes, with this glitch you can make pokemon develop higher stats. I'm not precisley sure on the process of it now because it's been a while since I played. You have to go out into the wild and battle so many wild pokemon in a row with ONE pokemon less than level 100 as your starter, between 10-20, then deposit the pokemon into your pc and withdraw them again. Then when you check its stats, it will have one extra stat in each field. I used to do this, but it's tiring. So I didn't do it much... ;)

i just remembered, i think you have to turn off the game after youve saved, or during the save. i cant remember, but there was something there you had to do.

ok, she caught a pikachu and nicknamed it ASHACHU. (dunno why.) well, it was perfectly normal until it got to level 36. Then it had a hat. She paid no attention to this weird glitch for a while, and got used to it. Well, then "ASHACHU" started acting strangely. It attacked with strange attacks with even stranger animations (thunderbolt called itself "6kpo.tion.ba.ll and the animation was a dot spinning in circles.) and these had strange affects on her other pokemon, at least until she turned it off. (they were normal again thankfully) so everytime she fought with ASHACHU, she saved and turned it off. Then she caught 4 more and named them ASHACHU with the same effects. When the first one was KO'ed, it vanished. After a while, the remaining 2 were lv. infinity and one knew hyper beam (she didnt teach it) then one was KO'ed. Unusually, the last one was the original. Eventually, she was using a person to fight! It was an ASHACHU (actual species name!) named !KURbY?. When it was Ko'ed, there was a FUNERAL at Pokemon tower! She was SCARED!

Do Pokemon REALLY die from your party in-game? My friend told me one of his Pokemon died once, but I didn't believe him. I can't imagine this.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Do Pokemon REALLY die from your party in-game? My friend told me one of his Pokemon died once, but I didn't believe him. I can't imagine this.

Dying Pokemon... this reminds me of what happened on my Yellow Version once. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but it was something like this: I had caught another Pikachu on my Yellow Version & my original Pikachu became angry... so I decided to trade the other to my Red Version (which had a lot of MissingNo. on it). When I started playing my Yellow Version again, Pikachu wasn't following me! I had traded over the wrong Pikachu... It was a little while before I traded it back over (though I can't remember why I had to wait). When I finally did, Pikachu was behind me again, however, when I would look at it, a skull & cross-bones appeared over its head, and whenever I would talk to someone in a building and start walking around again, Pikachu would stay by the other person. As soon as I would leave the building, Pikachu would start following me again, up until I went into another building & talked to someone... I used to say that Pikachu died and was now a zombie, but I think the fact was that it just hated me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back