• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Effects of BW2 on the metagame?

Years
So, how do you all thing BW2 will effect the meta? Do you see Keldeo and Keldeo's Resolution Forme as being broken/worthy of a ban? What other ways do you see the game and the new formes, tutors and mechanics coming with it influencing the metagame?

Last edited by a moderator:

Anti

return of the king
Years
While I don't actually know anything about the changes, I would say on the subject of "will Pokemon X be worthy of a ban" that in a few cases in gen 4 things were theorymoned to be broken (usually stuff from higher tiers falling to lower ones or something like that) who turned out to be not so broken. I think theorymon is fine as long as people keep an open mind though.

At any rate, I'm not an enormous fan of BW OU so I'm looking forward to it being shaken up a bit, even if things do end up getting banned.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
How will the new move tutors affect the competitive scene?

This forum needs more discussion. >_>

Anyway, we've learned a ton of move tutors that will be in Black and White 2, and will hopefully be implemented soon enough.

Tutor 1
Gunk Shot, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Low Kick, Dual Chop, Seed Bomb, Uproar, Super Fang, Iron Head, Signal Beam, Bounce, Drill Run, Bug Bite & Covet

Tutor 2
Last Resort, Iron defense, Magnet Rise, Magic Coat, Block, Hyper Voice, Electroweb, Icy Wind, Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Foul Play, Superpower, Gravity, Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse

Tutor 3
Bind, Snore, Heal Bell, Knock Off, Synthesis, Roost, Sky Attack, Role Play, Heat Wave, Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Pain Split & Tailwind

Tutor 4
Magic Room, Wonder Room, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Skill Swap, Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Outrage, Helping Hand, After You, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Snatch

A couple of things that stand out to me are Ice Punch Mienshao (no more HP), Roost Poison Heal Gliscor (geez, recovering 5/8 of your HP every turn) and Superpower Hydreigon (enabling it to take out T-Tar, Blissey, Porygon2, and Chansey- all Pokemon that countered it)

EDIT: Apparently Shao doesn't get the elemental punches. Screw you GameFreak.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Here's what I think so far

Now that Poison Heal Gliscor got Roost and Stealth Rock back, it's harder to KO with physical moves and can provide support other than Toxic and Sub + Baton Pass respectively.

Serperior finally gets something to hit Steels with! (Aqua Tail) Dragon Pulse is also useful.

Golurk got more moves to abuse Iron Fist with (elemental punches, Drain Punch)

Haxorus didn't get Fire Punch, but it got the closest thing for dealing with Ferrothorn: Superpower. Aqua Tail is also useful in Rain teams

Durant finally has a reliable way for Steels (Superpower)

And I don't get why Kyurem didn't get Ice Punch, while Zekrom gained ThunderPunch.

Earth Power + Dark Pulse is finally legal on Hydreigon. The same can be said for Spikes + Stealth Rock + Leech Seed on Ferrothorn and Stealth Rock + Sucker Punch on Bisharp.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Not just the move tutors. The random Pokemon you find in the Hidden Hollow's around Unova, too. The Pokemon found all have their Dream World abilities. Breloom among them. Techloom is going to be floating around soon.

The move tutors are interesting. Especially for Gliscor who is basically going to be a ***** to kill. Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus didn't get the moves I thought they'd get. Tornadus does get Heat Wave & Superpower though, which is good. Thundurus didn't though. Landorus' only decent new move is Superpower, too. Shocked that both Zekrom and Reshiram got Roost but none of the genies did. x___x EVEN KYUREM DID. Excadrill gets Iron Head as a decent STAB. Although I don't think it needs it. Lmfao Reuniclus got a load of useless crap that it doesn't need. Superpower Reuniclus. B) Swoobat's been made a bit better, although it'll still be NU. Giga Drain, Heat Wave and Roost is a nice addition to its movepool. Honestly a lot of Unova Pokemon are going to be made better from this.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Most of the stuff i dont actually see making a huge difference. Keldeo got a new toy for its specs set allowing it 2hko checks like Celebi and Lati@s and outspeed the later on the next turn see: Icy Wind.

I do think Cofagrigus will see more use now it gets Pain Split as a nice alternative to Jellicent as a bulk anti spin which opens up some more options for stall.

Sleep Talk tutor is useless unless they fix that damn Rest mechanic that they effed up in BW. =/

Stealth Rock tutor is nice opening up some options like SR Offensive lead Terrakion and whatnot. Might even find room on its offensive sets since all Terrakion sets are CC/SE/Filler/Filler anyway lol.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Moxie Salamence can now have dragon dance and outrage. Watch out, OU.

That's nice! I don't think it'd overly affect that much of OU (seeing as I can see like at least 4/5 that won't be really affected by this if they got it on the right switch) but might just make people use steels more than they already do, I guess.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Oh yeah forgot

Hydreigon @ life Orb
Mild/Hasty Nature
- SuperPower
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Hot.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Honestly a lot of Unova Pokemon are going to be made better from this.

Yeah, this is what I think. A lot of the Unova Pokemon's movepools were horrible, so now I guess they're just shoving moves that might fit onto Pokemon to improve them a bit. (Roost Kyurem? Superpower Reuniclus?)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Landorus-T is way overpowered. Like with Rock Polish it can practically kill most things that aren't dragons with an Adamant nature + LO which is kind of scary. I mean sure there's exceptions but it's p awesome. I guess things like Mamo w/ Ice Shard will be sent in to destroy? I like it so I kinda hope it stays OU. /lolwishing

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
But wouldn't that mean normal Landorus is overpowered also ? (which is really isnt lol) Sand Force normal Landorus stronger than Landorus-T in SS. :/

Years
Thundurus-T is by far the most overpowered of all the new forms. You can use it in OU ATM, and it destroys ****. 101 speed let it outspeed base 100's by like 3 speed points, and its special attack is just complete rape. For example, a choice specs thunder is a clean 2HKO against 252/0 Blissey. And here is the log of the first battle I had using Thundurus-T. I was just trying it out, and holy crap that thing is a total beast

Spoiler:

In the battle, Thundurus-T took down 5 pokes single-handedly without any boosts, and that's ridiculous.

For the move tutors, I don't think they changed the Metagame too much, at least not in NU. The most significant change in NU is probably the bulky fighting types, such as Throh, getting sleep talk xD. They can finally run a Guts Sleep Talk set with Bulk up and Circle Throw :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Well Mienshao not getting any of the elemental punches and no Body Slam on the list does make me a tad sad tbh but at the very least it will be easier for Metagross to have access to the elemental punches again along with Roost on Poison Heal Gliscor sounding very promising.

That and Superpower on both Hydreigon and Haxorus makes me squee.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Honestly I've been playing on Smogon all day and the teams were mostly the same, looks like the stuff hasn't affected them much. Yet. I've seen Keldeo quite a lot but that's it. I also decided to play in UU where it again hasn't changed much. I've been using a lot of DW/tutor Pokemon. X-Scissor/Stone Edge/Superpower/Hone Claws Durant isn't even funny. It's destroyed so many teams. Simple Swoobat isn't bad either. Swoobat is a bit hard to get a decent movepool for. Calm Mind is obviously a staple move for it. But then it has options from Psychic, Stored Power, Psyshock, Heat Wave, Hidden Power, Roost, Giga Drain, Air Slash, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball and Charge Beam. SWOOBAT WILL DOMINATE I'M TELLING U.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Syndrome wants to know what y'all think about this set. n_n

Haxorus @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Nature: Adamant ( +Atk -SpA) / Jolly ( +Spe -SpA)
Trait: Mold Breaker
EV's: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw
- Aqua Tail
- Superpower

Also @ DA I meant it's p awesome in general not in sandddd.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Though I don't play OU I'm interested to see people's opinion on how viable normal Kyurem is now that it packs Earth Power and can use Roost to heal off SR damage. Something like this?

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

It should be low OU now that it's movepool is not totally ass and it has a form of reliable recovery. 130/130 offenses are not bad and Ice/Dragon sucks as a defensive typing but offensively it's pretty damn good.

Cam Meekins

Banned
Years
Iron head stoutland is broken. Literally nothing stops it.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Iron Head
- Wild Charge
- Fire Fang / Ice Fang
- Frustration

This baby's a powerhouse, big attack and speed in sand. Soooo broken lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Iron head stoutland is broken. Literally nothing stops it.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Iron Head
- Wild Charge
- Fire Fang / Ice Fang
- Frustration

This baby's a powerhouse, big attack and speed in sand. Soooo broken lol.

Superpower > Iron Head. Fire Fang isn't enough to deal with Steels most of the time, though it can be used for Ferrothorn, Forretress and Scizor. Stoutland can also use Superpower for hitting Blissey, Chansey and Tyranitar hard. If the physical stat drops are a problem, Stoutland can always switch out, since Choice Pokemon are hit-and-run.

Back