• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Music in third generation

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
Perhaps I am just odd, but the instruments of the third generation are some of the best samples I think I've ever heard.
I first noticed this in Pokémon hacks, but this post is not about hacks.
After realizing how truly epic the instruments were, I re-listened to the already dearly beloved R/S/E/FR/LG soundtrack with even more love.
The tunes themselves are quite enjoyable, and, epic! Take the R/S/E Regi battle theme.
Take the FR/LG final battle VS Rival music. Epic? thought so. What is your opinion?
Isn't it just. Just beautiful?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Oh don't worry, you're not the only one that noticed haha. A lot of people point out the music in the 3rd gen by just yelling "OMG THE TRUMPETS!!!" In fact, last time we had this topic, the title was "TRUMPETS" haha. But yeah, the music in the 3rd generation is just so distinct because of this and it works so well with the game and the areas. It gives a really powerful feel and it was a big step up from the music we were used to in the previous games (not that they were bad of course!).

Years
Trumpets, trumpets everywhere in R/S/E, not that much in FR/LG. I'm still liking FR/LG soundtrack more, because of nostalgia.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
Just the trumpets? Admitedly the trumpets are awesome...but the french horns! The tubular bells! The strings for Arceus' sake! Even the accordian! Especially the Accordian!
It is all amazing. I'll name some more favorite tracks of mine. Team Aqua/Magma hideout (the one at lillicove with the teleporters and masterball.
Mount pyre/pire (can't remember)'s peak. Awesome. That has always been a favorite. And abandend ship? Ever heard it? Completely awesome. And don't even get me started on Deoxys. I actually didn't realize how many R/S/E/FR/LG tracks I actually love! So many! If I were to actually post them all, it would be a boring and long post!
I do wish to ask another question in addition to the opinion request above.
This question is, Do you prefer the styles and instruments better with, or without the additions FR/LG added?

Years
soooooo much brass in that music. I kinda loved it although I always got sick of the E4 music while i was using them to train so I just listened to my own iTunes during those times. But all other times i listen to the actual soundtrack and i love it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Without a doubt, the Deoxys theme is my favorite 3rd gen track. The sad thing though is that we never got that event here, so I never got to actually experience battling Deoxys with that music playing as a kid. I'm sure it would have been awesome.

I do prefer the music in RSE to FRLG, though. But FRLG has that thing going for it in that it's a remake, and idk...just not a big fan of how those songs came out and I prefer the RBY originals to those, but RBY music is another topic for another day haha. Although FRLG was missing the trumpets and the big booming brass that RSE had, it still had that...distinctive advance generation style.

Years
I think as a whole, R/S/E is probably my favorite soundtrack out of the games up until this point. While I did enjoy some of the updated themes that we got with HG/SS, I honestly can't think of one song in these games that I dislike.

Ruby and Sapphire also brought along my favorite individual theme in the games- that being the battle theme of Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza. The bells and percussion in the intro really give it the feel of an epic battle, and most times, that's exactly what you ended up getting.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Gotta love the brass sections in Hoenn. Route 104 just has such a sense of adventure because of it, heading towards your first gym also being part of it. Sootopolis is one of the few with no loud brass sections, and really works well with the location - its more chilled, which I take as representing how the calm has been restored post-Rayquaza.
In general though, I like the music in all pokémon games, even Black from what I remember. But RSE's definitely stands out against FrLg, DPPt, HgSs and BW due to the trumpets (and other factors, but mainly trumpets :D )

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I've talked about the music of this generation, specifically that of Hoenn so many times now, that I don't want to grind on too long about it. But man we they some wonderful and memorable tunes. I think the nostalgic aspect of them is also a huge plus. They really drag you back to your childhood.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2013
Yeah, I absolutely LOVE the 3rd Gen music, easily my favourite of any gen, instrumentally anyway. I'll always have a soft spot for the compositions in 1st and 2nd Gen.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2013
There is a plenty of orchestrated music. Route 120+ are just amazing tracks. I feel so sure when I'm walking through the grass. I even bought a pack of repels to avoid interupting music by grass pokemon :)
Also there are some nice jazzy themes like Rustboro/Mauville theme.

xGal

Mhm
Years
I might sound odd, but Drums. This, the guitars and the Choir Oohs are the only insturments I liked on FRLG.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
I like the music in r/s/e when you are on the moving truck. I downloaded it onto my ipod.

Nomine

サトセレ
Years
The music from the third generation was... epic. I think the brass made it stand out more for me than in other generations. I really loved the music on the rainy routes in Hoenn. Routes 118, 119, 120, and 121, I believe?

Back