• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
Torchic and squirtle

On my second times I chose Treecko and bulbasaur

Seriously, I've never chosen charmander or mudkip

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
For some reason, its Bulbasaur and Treeko, I chose Bulbasaur because I wanted some kind of challenge in my LG game while for Treeko, I love Sceptile's design so I went with it.

Don Bastio

Banned
Years
i picked squirtle in leafgreen blastoise when the game came out, because it is my favorite fully evolved starter and my friend who lived two house houses away had the wireless adapter that came with the game and so did I and he had a charizard and we battled sometimes. guess you could say we were the real world pokemon rivals lol.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014
in pokemon leaf green: Squirtle or Bulbasuar: I think Charizard makes the game to easy

On the contrary, Charizard is actually the most challenging choice for starter. In the first generation, Charmander was horrible for the first two gyms. At least in FireRed and LeafGreen, Charmander learns Metal Claw just for the Pewter gym and Mount Moon. Still, battling Misty is total heck unless you caught a grass type such as a Paras in Mount Moon or a Oddish or Bellsprout in the field next to Nugget Bridge.

My favorite starters are Torchic and Mudkip, so it is a hard decision when trying to select only one. I tend to choose Torchic for its very awesome Fire/Fighting typing (well, not like that's anything special after Infernape and that pig Emboar). FireRed I like Bulbasaur, though I've played through with Charizard in the past and used to choose Squirtle in the originals.

Years
  • Seen Oct 11, 2013
Hmm, I'd have to go with torchic and Treeko in Hoenn, and in Kanto I usually use Squirtle and Bulbasaur, for son reason their just easier to battle with.

Hmm, I'd have to go with torchic or Treeko in Hoenn, and in Kanto I usually use Squirtle or Bulbasaur, for son reason their just easier to battle with.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Mudkip.
I admit, it was actually on SoulSilver but it's still my Gen III starter. Hopefully that counts. I'm still trying to get a hold of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald but I don't have a system to play it on that works yet.

Appaloosa

Rapidash will beat everything!
Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2012
My starter was a Treecko. I chose it because I love a lot of the grass types. In the beginnig of the game it helps with one of the gym leaders.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Torchic. Really a godsend when it came down to like half the gym leaders and elite four. And I already knew I was going to get Tropius, so I didn't pick Treecko.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Almost alwasy Treeko, I loed his design. Sceptile just looks so ninja. Torchic was pretty cool to. I would rareley pick Mudkip, Swampert looks to derpy.

Years
mine was the water types because i had it in my head the the first gyms were the hardest so i pwned with them untill they were lv. 30 and the rest were lv. 10 it wasnt good

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
This might be cliche but Mudkip. I liekz Mudkipz xD But in all seriousness, in Emerald, 2 teams. Magma (Treecko = Fail) and Aqua (Torchic = Fail) but Mudkip is cute, good stats and can take down Magma while being neutral to Aqua. He's just the best starter, in my opinion anyway.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
First time I played FireRed, I chose Charmander. The first time I played Ruby, I chose Torchic.

I don't know why, but those seemed to be the most appealing Pokemon to me at the time :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
My first of FRLG (and my first pokemon game at all) was Leaf Green, and I chose Bulbasaur. Then I played through Fire Red with Charmander. Then I traded the nice stuff out of Fire Red and replayed it with Squirtle.

My first of RSE was Sapphire, and I chose Mudkip. Then I played Ruby with Torchic, then finally Emerald with Treecko. That's one thing I loved about having three games to a set - three games and three starters equals one for each.

Back