• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Movies from your country!

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years
In addiction to altemon's fun thread, I felt like creating this one too. That basically it, if you live in a lesser known country, or feel some movie from your country is way underrated, talk about and share it here!

So, lemme get started, brazilian movies I find brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTivdzpDqP0 Blindness, Fernando Meirelles' movie on José Saramago's nobel winner novel Ensaio sobre a Cegueira. Strong critics on society, in several ways simmilar to Clockwork Orange. Read the book, saw the movie, cried a river, thought buckets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUE_5wpg_E City of God, also a Fernando Meirelles' adaptation of a brilliant book (Paulo Lins' Cidade de Deus) about the violence in poor brazilian communities. Read the book, saw the movie, laughed a mile, thought buckets. "E quem falô que a boca é tua rapá?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syWH...610A4328&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=57 Os Sete Gatinhos (eng: The Seven Kitties), Neville d'Almeida's adaptation of a Nélson Rodrigues novel about a father who makes his own daughters work as prostitutes. Very insightful, also very intelligent humour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ako8metwlAY Central do Brasil (Central Station), a road movie by Walter Salles about a woman searching for redemption trying to find a young boy's family. Made me cry like a baby from beginning to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKI6uwZbxM Carandiru, Hector Babenko's film based on the novel by Drauzio Varella (a famous brazilian doctor) about the penitentiary named Carandiru, where 111 inmates died in a massacre, 102 of them where killed by the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90kBGBW4Ozw O Auto da Compadecida (aka The Dog's Will), film directed by Guel Arraes based on a play by writer Adriano Suassuna. It mixes elements from cordel literature, religious tradition and popular culture. Critic and loads of fun, reaaally.

So, what about you?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUE_5wpg_E City of God, also a Fernando Meirelles' adaptation of a brilliant book (Paulo Lins' Cidade de Deus) about the violence in poor brazilian communities. Read the book, saw the movie, laughed a mile, thought buckets. "E quem falô que a boca é tua rapá?"
^ is in my top five.

I live in the US, and there are some extraordinary films that are overlooked where I am located. (No one I know really watches movies, the following could be totally overrated elsewhere.) Out of all of Wes Anderson's works, Bottle Rocket (trailer does not do justice for this film :/) is the most neglected...and I personally think it was his second best, behind Rushmore. Jarmusch's Dead Man is a flat-out masterpiece, and probably the best film to grace the US in the 90's. Last of the Mohicans gives me chills while all of my friends hate how boring it was to watch in history class, and it probably had one of the best music scores ever invented.

Those are a few off the top of my head, I know there's thousands more.

Last edited:

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years
Hey Nood, I've been to Cidade de Deus last year, it's just chocking =o some things have a way of changing your perspective about so much.
Haven't seen Antichrist yet, but everyone I know is syched about it. Really liked Trier's Eternal Sunshine, Breaking the waves, the US trilogy and Dancer in the Dark (the film that most made me cry ever), so I'm really curious about his last work.
Deadman is astonishing. Really like Anderson's movies as well.
Right now I'm really high on Kubrick, Lynch and Mathew Barney's Cremaster Series (DR9 was some trip as well).
This summer (it's almost summer in br *0*) it's gonna run Hayao Miyazaki's last, Ponyo. Already seen it, cutest movie evaaaah *~* can't wait to see it on a big screen.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
Hey Nood, I've been to Cidade de Deus last year, it's just chocking =o some things have a way of changing your perspective about so much.
It really is, the lives of the characters are incredibly enthralling. It's sad what a vicious and inescapable cycle that kids born into gangs go through, this movie gave an excellent and realistic portrayal of that lifestyle. The cinematography was beautiful and innovative, I think it's safe to say that Cidade de Deus is one of the best movies of our time. Every aspect of that movie defined what great movies are really all about.

Haven't seen Antichrist yet, but everyone I know is syched about it. Really liked Trier's Eternal Sunshine, Breaking the waves, the US trilogy and Dancer in the Dark (the film that most made me cry ever), so I'm really curious about his last work.
Trier has disappointed me before (i.e. Epidemic, The Idiots), so I wasn't particularly excited about Antichrist to begin with. (And he's pretty much ruined the idea of sex for me, haha.) He certainly is exciting, though...I like how he pushes conventionalism by experimenting with emotional extremity. I thought Antichrist was his worst, though...not because of the violence, but because it was kind of simplistic for someone who normally incorporates symbolism into shock value...I think he's running out of ideas. =x

Right now I'm really high on Kubrick, Lynch and Mathew Barney's Cremaster Series (DR9 was some trip as well).
Haha, I'm never not high on Kubrick, he provoked my interest in film. He is a god to me. I get a kick out of David Lynch; and omg the Cremaster Cycle is so. Long.

This summer (it's almost summer in br *0*) it's gonna run Hayao Miyazaki's last, Ponyo. Already seen it, cutest movie evaaaah *~* can't wait to see it on a big screen
I cannot believe I still haven't seen that movie. o3o I'm so behind

Years
I had a hard time finishing City of God because of the violence. I don't think I've ever seen anything so violent in my life. I was sickened and saddened and all sorts of other things I don't like feeling when I watched that and for a good while afterward.

I'm not enough of a film buff to remember all the good films I've watched or to know where they were made. There's lots of international mixing with English language films, too, and that makes it doubly difficult.

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years
The book is based on real facts(!). The movie also doesn't tell about a third of the story centered on criminals and faith. The worse thing is, when these kids are born in favelas without much to eat, without education or affection, they don't really have a choice other than turning into criminals.
The portrayal is really a masterpiece. Brazilian cinema to this day still tries to copy the formula of Cidade de Deus (with movies such as Tropa de Elite and Cidade dos Homens).
I now just feel like I gotta watch Antichrist to be able to say something. About brutality, how do you feel about Gaspar Noe's Irréversible? It's def on my top 5.
Watched John Waters' Pink Flamingoes last night with my girl and a couple friends, none of'em had ever seen it, they'd been talking about JW since Dirty Shame came out, it was just so much fun. Both their reactions most of the time and the hysterical jokes.
Two movies coming out soon I'm syched about are This is it and Avatar. Soooooon &____&.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
The portrayal is really a masterpiece. Brazilian cinema to this day still tries to copy the formula of Cidade de Deus (with movies such as Tropa de Elite and Cidade dos Homens).
I have seen Tropa de Elite, and some scenes did remind me a lot of Cidade de Deus. It was actually pretty engaging, made me really think about situations where police brutality can be justified. I haven't heard of Cidade dos Homens.

I now just feel like I gotta watch Antichrist to be able to say something. About brutality, how do you feel about Gaspar Noe's Irréversible? It's def on my top 5.
I encourage you to, I'd hate to sway your mind in the opposite direction. (That's why I hate reading reviews, I don't want to expect certain things before I actually see the movie.)
Irréversible really shook me, it was one of few movies that was actually quite difficult for me to watch, primarily for the emotional intensity--the empathy I felt for Alex; the strange feeling of not being able to do anything, simply recognizing that I was only a part of the audience made me feel like the men who sat in the club doing nothing to stop the murder. The movie still haunts me, and I haven't seen it in years. Noe is so deranged, which is why he's one of my favorite directors. I Stand Alone is my favorite work of his.

Have you seen Jarmusch's Limits of Control yet? I haven't and I've been wanting to...

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years
Irréversible is genius! You can't not feel empathetic towards Alex, and yet the atmosphere and rawness of it made me feel like I was the one being abused in all the scenes, wich I think was just what Noé tried to communicate (time ruins everything - time is everyone) - but that is just my take on it I'm sure.
I'm really excited for Limits of Control! The trailler makes it seem like a big one, and yet, critic slammed the cluck on it, what just makes me wanna watch it more!
Fun: Been to my friend's yesterday, and people were like "put some Jodorowski on" (Alejandro Jodorowski, who I find terrible :D). Then there we were, watching The Holy Mountain on a 5.1 after my friend struggled a little with his home theater. Weak metaphor comes and goes, something like one hour after the movie had started people were in a room talking, but there wasn't any voice. "-Hey André, ain't it the 5.1?" after struggling a little with VLC settings, the voices came out, with the line "My son, you are ****. You must turn yourself into gold." What a one-liner.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
I'm really excited for Limits of Control! The trailler makes it seem like a big one, and yet, critic slammed the cluck on it, what just makes me wanna watch it more!
I'm certainly looking forward to it, especially since Boris is doing the soundtrack. o_o

Fun: Been to my friend's yesterday, and people were like "put some Jodorowski on" (Alejandro Jodorowski, who I find terrible :D). Then there we were, watching The Holy Mountain on a 5.1 after my friend struggled a little with his home theater. Weak metaphor comes and goes, something like one hour after the movie had started people were in a room talking, but there wasn't any voice. "-Hey André, ain't it the 5.1?" after struggling a little with VLC settings, the voices came out, with the line "My son, you are ****. You must turn yourself into gold." What a one-liner.
LOL. Ogawd, ooold stuff. The Holy Mountain was his definitive work...talk about an acid trip. It depends on how you interpret his work, I guess...it can be hard when you get caught up in his excessive surrealism.

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years
I really don't find Jodo any of the genius people claim he is. It's really just my opinion, and may I burn in Mexico, but The Holy Mountain is a way overrated movie, a collage about nothing. I find he's more concerned about making an impression rather than a statement. All half-metaphors without any intention or message, pure visual impact (gotta say, the sets and costuming were really amazing, but I refer to the explicity of it), critics on mysticism and religion (At most, why bother? For someone who believes in Tarot, ain't it pure cultural censorship) and "oh-I-get-that"s with tarot symbolism.
As for mate tea trips, Ron Fricke and Godfrey Reggio work wonders for me @_@ (Samsara - a sequel to Baraka - is currently in production, yaaay!)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
I really don't find Jodo any of the genius people claim he is. It's really just my opinion, and may I burn in Mexico, but The Holy Mountain is a way overrated movie, a collage about nothing. I find he's more concerned about making an impression rather than a statement. All half-metaphors without any intention or message, pure visual impact (gotta say, the sets and costuming were really amazing, but I refer to the explicity of it), critics on mysticism and religion (At most, why bother? For someone who believes in Tarot, ain't it pure cultural censorship) and "oh-I-get-that"s with tarot symbolism.
I think you can find cheap metaphors in most of his movies, a little real depth here and there, and his work does tend to come across as if he's just aiming for a reaction. I still thought it was a good movie, and like I said, it's all up to individual interpretation -- I didn't see it as just criticizing religion, but observing the rather pointless "journey to perfection" humanity seems to be focused on because of religion.

I will confidently say this: He is nothing compared to Luis Buñuel.

As for mate tea trips, Ron Fricke and Godfrey Reggio work wonders for me @_@ (Samsara - a sequel to Baraka - is currently in production, yaaay!)
Looking forward to that, that and Wong Kar-wai's The Lady from Shanghai.

You know, Leo DiCap and Ridley Scott are joining forces to make Brave New World, not sure how I feel about that. Actually, I feel pretty negative and judgmental about that.

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years
I didn't see it as just criticizing religion, but observing the rather pointless "journey to perfection" humanity seems to be focused on because of religion.

I will confidently say this: He is nothing compared to Luis Buñuel. Belle de Jour still gives me the chills!

The way I see it, Jodo aimed all his effort to unpurposedly whiplash christianism. And the end of the movie was just lazy(!) - ftr, when Lynch did the same thing on IE, I was astonished :knockedou. But well, Holy Mountain was way before post-modernism.
I actually don't know Kar-wai, introduce him! :D
And I mean, Leo for me was Who's Eating GG and Basketball Diaries. The recent 11th Hour was just lame, an undergrad would've done brighter with bibliographic research only and a cell phone camera.
Insanity: In 2010 we're having presidential elections here in Br. Our president is running a movie about the story of his life. Lula, Filho do Brasil (eng: Lula, Son of Brazil) will be on theatres by february. The coolest of it, is that the movie he's producing to bump his campaign is being paid partly by a culture incentive law he himself had created in 08. Tax money, yay. At least no one can say our president ain't smart (if I only got carried on talking how he uses the money of half the country that makes most of the money and doesn't vote for him to buy the votes of people from the poor nouthern part, geez...). And I can't even vote, haven't been dismissed from military service yet :pirate:.
48% of Antichrist downloaded. Damn this criminal with a slow connection life...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
-Sorry to not give much of an in depth response, my internet is lagging like hell and I'm trying to conquer multiple tasks at one time >_<-

.ftr, when Lynch did the same thing on IE, I was astonished .
O gawd, talk about a meaningless collage, Inland Empire is the definition, particularly compared to his other works. Terrible cinematography, too. (I'm not a serious Lynch fan, though, so I could just be talking out of my butt.) -Though I must admit I loved the rabbits.-

I actually don't know Kar-wai, introduce him!
Watch Chungking Express, which isn't his definitive work but my personal favorite. :3
And I mean, Leo for me was Who's Eating GG and Basketball Diaries. The recent 11th Hour was just lame, an undergrad would've done brighter with bibliographic research only and a cell phone camera.
lol @ What's Eating Gilbert Grape, that movie made me cry. xD Leo's become this self-indulgent, pseudo-intellectual who is hung up on "the cause," I'm not even going to try watching The 11th Hour.

Insanity: In 2010 we're having presidential elections here in Br. Our president is running a movie about the story of his life. Lula, Filho do Brasil (eng: Lula, Son of Brazil) will be on theatres by february. The coolest of it, is that the movie he's producing to bump his campaign is being paid partly by a culture incentive law he himself had created in 08. Tax money, yay. At least no one can say our president ain't smart (if I only got carried on talking how he uses the money of half the country that makes most of the money and doesn't vote for him to buy the votes of people from the poor nouthern part, geez...). And I can't even vote, haven't been dismissed from military service yet .
I just read an article on it that compared the upcoming movie to the Rocky Balboa story. xD Apparently he's got a pretty high approval rating, is this actually necessary?

Last edited:

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
Years

O gawd, talk about a meaningless collage, Inland Empire is the definition, particularly compared to his other works. Terrible cinematography, too. (I'm not a serious Lynch fan, though, so I could just be talking out of my butt.) -Though I must admit I loved the rabbits.-

I just read an article on it that compared the upcoming movie to the Rocky Balboa story. xD Apparently he's got a pretty high approval rating, is this actually necessary?

The thing is, IE has a much intricate story to sustent any superficial story or plot. I started to feel it only after the third view. But Lynch movies really require seeeeveral views. My Brazilian Literature teacher Maicon Tenfen recently wrote an essay about Mulholland Drive wich was sooooo good! I wish he had published it or something, I hadn't yet seen any review of MD on the web.
About Lula (it's Portuguese for squid. You know things are good and solid when people kindly refer to politicians as moluscles) I think I know what article you're talking about, it's the one in Times, isn't it?
The thing is, his approval rates are very high on the north and veeeery low in the south. There are even several movements and groups for separation of south from north here, and I do not doubt it can become a conflict. What his government does, is take money from the south where there's the industry and big cities and send it to people from north, where everything is more poor and there are waaay more people. But it does not build schools or create jobs, it simply sends money for people for anything (kid money - the more sons you have the more you get every month, gas money, food money, propane money and school money - wich doesn't take into account if the kid really is in school!). These people barely subsist on agriculture, you offer them benefits, of course they'll take it. Even worse, they're having more children only to benefit more - how much money should raising a baby properly take? These people barely have what to eat!
The movie is intended to improve a little his image here on southern and central Br, where there actually movie theatres for people to watch the movie.
-End of the endless rant.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
The thing is, IE has a much intricate story to sustent any superficial story or plot. I started to feel it only after the third view. But Lynch movies really require seeeeveral views. My Brazilian Literature teacher Maicon Tenfen recently wrote an essay about Mulholland Drive wich was sooooo good! I wish he had published it or something, I hadn't yet seen any review of MD on the web.
I know what you mean. Call me shallow, but sometimes I have a hard time telling whether or not some of his movies are sincerely substantial. Mulholland Drive is absolute GOLD. It's one of very few of his works I've watched more than once, and it hasn't ceased to surprise me each time. Blue Velvet was dazzling, too.

I VMed you about the election, so we don't drift completely off topic. x3

Back