• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Return of Contests, or Improved Musicals?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Ohh wow, when I saw this in the trailer I just thought it was Elesa's gym, but that guy sure ain't Elesa xD Hopefully contests will be back, I'd love to see that happen. They were one of the best things about Hoenn and Sinnoh :3 But I can't really see that happening based on the games/anime; contests seem to have no mention in Unova. It's possible that its just an extension of the Pokemon musicals but taking the anime slant on it? (Where one person performs there act with a team of their Pokemon and then the next person will afterwards) This is something that I'd like to see. Then it is almost like a contest :3 But I hope if they do have a musical feature again they make more of it/make it more important. The current musicals are very underwhelming D:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I think the pokeathalon was a good idea, it provided a level of interactivity that other contests did not.

Mario Party has a mini-game where you dance and stuff. Pokemon could at least do that much with Musicals to make them interactive.

The pokemon contests in the Pokemon Anime during Diamond and Pearl where just as exiting as the Gym Leader Battles. If they could capture some of that flavor in a video game, I think it would be more accepted by the fans. (p.s. contests in the Advanced era anime are similar, but not as well executed.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
I would like to see contests instead of musicals, the only time I ever participated in one of those 'contests' was in R/S/E, they were addicting. But from then on it wasn't to appealing for me.
I hope we'll get something like the Pokeathlon minigame in HG/SS that was really enjoyable.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Oh and just so you all know.

qJq33.png

Surprise, surprise! The Musical building is still there. :B So I'm guessing they will be the same or slightly improved.
Oh, blast... I just wish you could command your Fire Pokemon to set fire to that place. Nobody should have to suffer through the pure torture that are musicals.

I wish one of these mini-games would involve the trainer instead of just the Pokemon. I'm kinda fed up with the Pokemon getting the spotlight all of the time. Maybe B2/W2 can introduce the idea?

Contests are really the only minigame I've actually enjoyed. Pokeathlon didn't appeal to me all that much, and I've already ranted about the musicals, so 'nuff said.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I doubt Contests will appear in Unova because there is nothing about them in Unova's anime. Musical could be improved with ability to control your Pokemon, it would dance in the same way you move on touch screen. The goal would to be dance in the same way as other Pokemon. As for movies - I think movie shoots will be in one of those new buildings in the desert. Anime episode about making movie was between Castelia and Nimbasa, so that newly built buildings seem likely to have movie shoots.

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
I never really liked the contests much, and the musical was hard to get into. I just liked collecting all the accessories x3 I hope they come up with a new, more exciting event in BW2.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
I did not mind the contests much, I never really paid attention to the musicals, but if any why not just combine the two but keep 'em in separate rooms/competitions? I'd like to see something new though. Not sure what idea I could bring up here, but usually new introduces curiosity and that's what they should do. But I'm pretty sure they will keep the musicals.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I would really love it if they brought back Contests into B2/W2. When Black and White were first announced and they had mentioned Musicals as a replacement to Pokémon Contests, I was a bit skeptical. However, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and try it out when I got the games. Unfortunately, when I finally participated in one of them, I couldn't help but feel they were a complete waste of space. They simply didn't have the same appeal as Pokémon Contests and they definitely weren't as rewarding.

There's just something special about having a ribbon placed on your Pokémon, you know?

Anyway, seeing as Musicals will in fact be back, I can only hope that they work on improving it. Then again, it really wouldn't matter to me, because I probably won't end up participating in them anyway.

This new film-like building, however, has certainly peaked my interest. Assuming that the green room and stage are both within that building, I actually wouldn't object to this new idea. I won't lie though, somewhere inside of me I'm praying it's some new kind of revamped introduction to Pokémon Contests that in some way reflects the Anime-style Contests. Sadly, I don't have my hopes up too high for this (perhaps in the RS Remakes this wish shall be fulfilled).

I will say this though, one thing that this theater building has going for it, unlike the musicals did from the start, is my interest. I'm just curious to know what exactly it does, and if it does have something to do with theater or movies, how it'll all work.

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
Years
No contests :/

I really hated generation 4 and it's contests. However, I did like the musicals in Pokemon black/White. They were cute. I hope the return in Pokemon B/W 2/

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I know we have Pokewood but what will happen to the Musicals, is it possible that we might get both. If we do see the return of Musicals post game, or later in the game I hope they add more of a challenge spin to it like what the contests had.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I know we have Pokewood but what will happen to the Musicals, is it possible that we might get both. If we do see the return of Musicals post game, or later in the game I hope they add more of a challenge spin to it like what the contests had.

No Coro Coro said Pokewood replaces Musicals so those were taken out in place of Pokewood.

Serebii just updated the Screen shots for prerelease pictures and it shows Meloetta in a Musical...so maybe we still have them.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Ah, it's nice to see that they didn't totally eliminate them. I found them kind of fun, but simply in need of more a contest like atmosphere, and challenge, hopefully they'll fix that up in these games.
Meloetta and Musicals go hand in hand, how fitting.

Back