• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has 3D changed your opinion of any old pokemon? (Part II)

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2014
A few pokemon (most notability the charizard family) look a bit too...grey? I understand it's the art style of the game itself but I would rather have seen some more bright vivid colors.

Although, I must say, back when Black & White came I took one look at Drudigon and just thought how bad he looked. Now in 3D, I am amazed at how cool he looks. Also his size, he's huge! I guess it's just a good feeling to see your giant dragon type actually seem significantly bigger than that little pidgy instead of being only a few pixels taller.

Years
I also found it frustrating that Typhlosion had no flames, not even when he attacks. It makes no sense... it'd be like giving Charmander a tail with no flame.

{D:} Omg. Typhlosion doesn't have flames? Okay, they messed up one of my favorite Pokemon ;-;

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
Venomoth looks deeply horrifying. It's eyes may be looking at the opposing Pokemon, but it looks like it's staring right at you.

Years
Vileplume is actually really huge, I thought it wasn't much bigger than Oddish/ Gloom.
The Ghastly family line looks nice in 3D.
Magikarp is hilarious..

I first saw Vileplume when watching a Marriland Pokemon X video (Part 48 of that series I believe) and my first reaction was "OMG that thing is really big" but I guess it fits with Vileplume being based on the rafflesia, which is one of the biggest species of flowers.

And yeah, Magikarp always cracks me up. It literally flops on its side!

Stunky and Skuntank turned out great as well, I love how their tan "stripes" are now actually the same as their Sugimori art colors and not some weird brown color. Definitely the best they've ever done to one of my fave 4th Gen Pokemon.

However, Manectric doesn't look great I have to admit. It's like, hunched over. Adding to the fact I found its Mega unappealing, it's so sad they ruined one of my faves from 3rd Gen. It was such an awesome-looking Pokemon and now they made it lame appearance-wise.

Miltank's jiggling udders also crack me up, but I love how great she looks nonetheless.

Years
I wouldn't say it really changed my opinion on them, but Zangoose looks a bit to calm.. if you've seen the one they used to have in the stadium games, you'll know exactly what I mean.

I don't like the Flying animations on most of the guys.. some look cool, like Tropius reminds me of a fruit-bearing cargo plane.. others look laughably silly.. like Xatu, and Skarmory. I kind of wished they had alternate animations only when they were in use in Flying Battles where it makes sense.. but it also kind of puts me into an awkward frame of mind thinking about all these fish pokemon swimming in thin air... except Magikarp.. these games are really stupid weird when you take a step back and think about it.

The one that kind of bugs me the most is actually Ferrothorn and Ferroseed. Ferroseed literally has no animations outside of attacking.. and Ferrothorn doesn't look right with his vines anchored to the ground.

Years
The one that kind of bugs me the most is actually Ferrothorn and Ferroseed. Ferroseed literally has no animations outside of attacking.. and Ferrothorn doesn't look right with his vines anchored to the ground.

Well, Ferrothorn poses like that in the anime so no surprise here.

However, I remember seeing Ferroseed's spinning animation in 5th Gen which was kinda cool. When I saw it in X/Y though I was literally disappointed because not only does it hardly move but it's like, embedded in the ground. What the heck Game Freak?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 4, 2016
I really dislike how Typhlosion doesn't have flames. It's my favorite Pokemon and the flames are one of it's defining features. I have no idea what Game Freak was thinking there.

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
Years
I was actually quite pleased and impressed with the overall 3D styling of the new games. In the past, when Nintendo would do a console Pokemon, they would really overwork the 3D renderings of the Pokemon and the environment (ugh, Pokemon Stadium >_< ). If you ask me, no matter how "3D" they make the future Pokemon games, they should always retain their illustrative quality. Part of what makes them so cool is the subtle black outlines and cartoony comfortability we all know and love.

So when looking at how they rendered the Pokemon in this game, I'd say I was very happy with the cross between 3D and 2D elements. I couldn't say there was one specific pokemon I was put-off by, but I, too, find it strange that Cyndaquil and its evolutions didn't have any flames coming out of its back.

Years
Well, Ferrothorn poses like that in the anime so no surprise here.

However, I remember seeing Ferroseed's spinning animation in 5th Gen which was kinda cool. When I saw it in X/Y though I was literally disappointed because not only does it hardly move but it's like, embedded in the ground. What the heck Game Freak?

Ahh, okay.. I was unaware of that. The anime tends to make my head hurt these days, so I tend to steer clear of that. Ferrothorn gets a pass then :)

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
Only one I can think of is this one:

stunfisk.gif

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2015
Till this iteration of pokemon I had no idea that one of Loudred's air holes was on his ass, can't look at it the same way any more lol. Good job that Exploud is my favourite pokemon :D

I just keep imagining it making fart noises all the time :P

Years
I was never a fan of Moltres previously but it actually looks really awesome in this game, its flames really look cool at night so yeah I guess picking Froakie as my starter gave me the best-looking bird model-wise.

pridekitty

A Kitty
Years
I never really cared about Sandile before, but when I first saw one appear in this game, the front view looked really cute, somehow.

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2014
I don't like the way Gengar swings it's hips, looks a little... odd?

Also Stunfisk has to be one of the ugliest designs in 3D i've seen yet

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
I don't like the way Gengar swings it's hips, looks a little... odd?

Also Stunfisk has to be one of the ugliest designs in 3D i've seen yet

You'd think that they'd finally make Gengar float, since it has Levitate as its only ability, but nope. Game Freak logic!

And Stunfisk has always been ugly.

Back