• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Thoughts on new Pre-Evolutions/New Evolutions of older Pokémon?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
We've seen it all, Mr. Mime getting a pre-evolution, Rhydon getting an evolution. Some people say that making new evolutions and pre-evolutions of Pokémon from old games is a bad thing. Some people say it's a good thing. Personally, I'm sort of half and half. Without pre-evos and new evos of old generation Pokémon there wouldn't be Umbreon and Espeon, and all those Pokémon that people use in competitive battling, but, at the same time, why can't Nintendo/Gamefreak be creative enough to come up with new Pokémon instead of going back to old Pokémon?

Anyways, your thoughts, people?

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2009
I can agree with you on the originality part. Electivire wasn't that original. The only good thing about it was Motor Boost. Lickilily, albeit cool, was uneeded. Magmortor was okay, nothing special, but he didn't bother me much. Zone is awesome though.

I wish Pinsir got an evolution. Perhaps then it would be used a little like Heracross.

GKS

Retired Hacker
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
I don't like pre-evolutions that much, but I really like new evolutions of Pokemon. Pre-evolutions looks like the Pokemon it a weaker stage than it did in previous games where it was at the evolved stage.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
Years
Who cares if a pokemon is useless in competitive battling? What kind of game would they be making if every single pokemon they made had to be useful in competitive battling? The pokemon they add are geared toward people who don't care about all the competitive battling strategies out there, because that's what the majority of consumers of their product are.

To me, yeah maybe some of them aren't that original, but at the same time I think that whenever they add new evolutions/pre-evolutions it's really exciting, like a new twist on something we already know.

Besides, Magnezone is my favorite pokemon. And I love Mime Jr.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
Pre-evos drive me crazy. I HATE YOU, HAPPINY, WITH THE PASSION OF A MILLION FIERY SUNS AZSHFHDS. :| I wish they'd just invent new Pokémon -- I hate it when some old-school Pokémon that never had any evos -- especially the ones everyone forgets -- ends up with some stupid, arbitrary evolution. At this rate, the 5th gen will be entirely baby Pokémon.

Years
I like some i hate others like the person above me said HAPPINI MUST DIE i hate that little pink blob it ruined the whole chansy/ blissy family and i never liked them in the first place but know i hate them. But i like some like all the eevee elolutions but the pokemon i think need elolutions are:
MIME JR (girl mime Jr should become madem mine because a girl MR Mine makes no sense)
TOrkoal should get an evolve I have no clue what it would look like but if any one can do it nintendo can.
seviper again no idea
zangoose again no idea

PS.
I absolutly hate LICKY LICKY just as everyone had almost frogot about lickytunge they have to relase the stupidest pokemon to date lickylicky i hate thet thing the pokemon should stop living

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
Years
I suppose Likyliki or however it's spelled is rather useless, though I don't see the reason for extreme hatred for that. Apathy maybe?

I agree with the idea of Mime Jr, except it shouldn't evolve into Madam Mime, it should just be an all-male type, just like Jynx is the all-female counterpart. Then I think they should have an evolved form of Jynx and Mr. Mime. Not sure about Jynx yet, but Mr Mime could evolve into Mime Sr. or something.

I agree with Torkoal, and I think also Pachirisu needs an evolved form (though it's so adorable already).

Years
I like the idea about MR Mime But i do not agree with you about the likkylikky (how ever it is spelt) it is crap and i absolutly hate it it is just one of those things that you cannot stop and also no evolution for Jinx i hate it as it is and if it evolved again it would become even more creepy

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
Years
I like the idea about MR Mime But i do not agree with you about the likkylikky (how ever it is spelt) it is crap and i absolutly hate it it is just one of those things that you cannot stop and also no evolution for Jinx i hate it as it is and if it evolved again it would become even more creepy

I guess all I can do is LOL at that because it doesn't seem like a serious argument. More of just extreme bias. Plus, who's to say it would look more creepy? I don't think Smoochum is too creepy. It could evolve into something that's quite the opposite of creepy.

Years
I agree i love smochems but then Jinx it becomes ugly and no pokemons final form i cuter than its baby form the either cooler more pretty more handsome or just plain UGLY

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2009
You can stop evolution o_O...

Just press B, right?

Anyways, I agree: I absolutely detest lickily! I love lickitung though, as it was oh-so cute. Lickily, however, is ugly, and bloated-looking, and grotesque.

I kinda don't like Floatzel either, because I think Buizel is much cuter.

Hmm, maybe they should add an evolution bridge for the snakes. Who doesn't remember that trainer's choice flaw: ARBOK EVOLVES INTO SEVIPER!!

Azonic

hello friends
Years
Perhaps they should be making pre-evolutions of only the recently introduced generations instead of going back to the older and original generations. Pre-evolutions and evolutions are only needed if the base Pokemon was widely disliked. Examples include Roselia and Aipom, which proved pretty terrible and useless in-game, received evolutions in the following Generation(s). Lickitung, however, did not need a new evolution since Lickitung was quite enjoyable in the older days and this Lickilicky looks like a blob of crap. What I'm trying to say is that Nintendo should only make pre-evolutions / evolutions to Pokemon with less or no interest to most or all of the players instead of just trying to make a Pokemon stronger and cooler. Some Pokemon were completely fine until the fourth generation was introduced, such as Piloswine and Rhydon.

Moonlit Umbreon

Elusive Within The Shadows
Years
First of all. LMAO at Gymnotide. Hilarious. - LICKILICKY!! xD

Second of all. I said this before and I'll say it again. NINTENDO ARE RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS. And no, I am not yelling, just making the point clear to some people who can't even read the word "cat". Ok, look at Purugly. Oh my holy Swinub - the thing is worse than Snorlax selling donuts at a Mr. Whippies factory!! It clearly suits it's name. Do you know just one person who adores the thing?? "Purugly Land - Population: 0".

My opinion on the evo's; Pre-evo's are ok, so long as they look good, have a decent name, and don't look like Purugly's grandmother. I have one word for new evo's - B A D ("evee"lutions not included). They are recking the original Pokemon! I absolutely HATE Rhydon's evolution. Ruined. I used to think Rhydon was awesome, but now since it's stupidly-named and horrid-looking evo came along, I don't even consider it. Everything went downhill ever since the 4th generation PKMN were released, and guess what? There is even a walking hedgehog plant! What an awesome idea! Why not bring a flying guineapig into it? We'll call it "Mr. Guineakins"!! Seriously. Where are they getting all these new Pokemon creators from?? "Clowns R ' Us"??

Full Stop.

Years
Don't bagggggggg LickiLicky. He/She's just too good for you, that's all. I liked Gallade, Dusknoir and Rhyperior heaps. Weavile, Mamoswine, Magnezone and the newest Eeveelutions are awesome as well.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 14, 2009
I'm somewhat stuck in the middle with this topic, I'm more satisfied with a few evolutions then the pre-evolutions. For example, I really like Weavile, Rhyperior and Magmortar etc. They, in my opinion, are decent in terms of design and stats. But only found the pre-evolutions to be a nuisance.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
Years
I think I sadly just disagree with all of you. I think Mamoswine, Magnezone, Rhyperior, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Magmortar, etc. are all way way cooler than their previous forms.

And if you don't like it, don't evolve them. But geez I think people are just too resistant to change or something.

Back