• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Hacking Next Gen...

~Wind~

Detective
Years
in refferal to the 5th gen discussion, ive come over the information that the 5th gen will include photo and microphone mechanics, and if you want to hack that, it will be hard.
anyway, for the 4th gen hacking tools, theres a thread in this main section right here, so try that ; )
~Wind~

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
in refferal to the 5th gen discussion, ive come over the information that the 5th gen will include photo and microphone mechanics, and if you want to hack that, it will be hard.
anyway, for the 4th gen hacking tools, theres a thread in this main section right here, so try that ; )
~Wind~
This thread is about the 4th gen. Taken in the context that Pokemon ROM edits are mainly made for 3rd gen, the next gen is 4th.

Skully367

Bored...REEEEALLY bored.
Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2012
~Wind~

Not confirmed. And why would you need to hack photo and microphone features?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
There is a map VIEWER for the fourth generation. Which can be found here. It may not be a map editor, but a map viewer is a step in the right direction.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
So far as what I've heard... the next generation handheld will be the Nintendo 3DS. Which I am 100% sure that the 5th generation Pokémon games will be on that new handheld which will be shown at this year's E3 (on June 15th, 2010).

Which basically means we'll be even more stuck in the past in ROM hacking if we cannot make a 4th generation map editor.
I'm pretty sure the 5th generation will have actual models of characters rather than sprites. As far as I'm conserned... we aren't getting anywhere in creating a map editor for the 4th generation. Man I wish I knew how to program, then I possibly might be able to create one.

Models, blocks, offsets, scripts, movement permissions, and boarder blocks. Those are the things I've realized in the 4th generation. If only if I learned how to make programs and all that... it could be possible I would've made one by now.
Sadly... I have to take many courses before I would be able to know how to make programs. Which would possibly take a very long time indeed (probably about 6 or more years).

There is a map VIEWER for the fourth generation. Which can be found here. It may not be a map editor, but a map viewer is a step in the right direction.
A map viewer would be indeed be good enough in viewing the maps and all that... all we need now is something to be able to edit all of that. The question is... how?

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
crap...didn't we just now come out with the DSI?
dangit! i just got one too....now i can't play the 5th gen games cuz of the new ds comin out?

Platinum Lucario

Years
Prahaps in the 5th Generation will also have a sky? 'Cause I know in the 4th generation, there was no sky at all. Probably the 5th generation will have a camera angle adjusting like what Pokémon Colosseum did.

But I am assuming the sprites will be 3D Models with black lines around the outside which will always be facing you and adjusting to whatever side of the model.

EDIT: I know it will defenantly be for the Nintendo 3DS, 'cause...
  1. The Nintendo DSi doesn't have games that are made exclusively for it, only the DSi Ware Games.
  2. The Nintendo DS won't have enough space on the card to fit in 250 extra Pokémon. And the improvments would require a file size of 1.10 GB.

Who knows if the Nintendo 3DS will have very small optical disks or cartrages?

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
The only thing closest to a map editor for GEN4
Is the PG4 Map viewer its somewhere on the toolbox
Hopefully the guy who made that willprogress it into a editor

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
Years
Prahaps in the 5th Generation will also have a sky? 'Cause I know in the 4th generation, there was no sky at all. Probably the 5th generation will have a camera angle adjusting like what Pokémon Colosseum did.

But I am assuming the sprites will be 3D Models with black lines around the outside which will always be facing you and adjusting to whatever side of the model.

1. The Nintendo DSi doesn't have games that are made exclusively for it, only the DSi Ware Games.
  2. The Nintendo DS won't have enough space on the card to fit in 250 extra Pokémon. And the improvments would require a file size of 1.10 GB.

5th gen WILL BE FOR NORMAL DS and here is quote from bulapedia
Bulbapedia said:
...have been announced to have an expected release date of late 2010, and will, in an unprecedented move, be released for the Nintendo DS, the same console as Generation IV's main series games...

tinix

PearlShipper & C Programmer
Years
When they define "DS", they define it as any version of the DS. It could be for the DS, DSi, or the 3DS. No one knows, yet. Just because they say "for the Nintendo DS", it doesn't mean that it will be for the DS lite/DSi/DSIXL. It still has the chance to be used on the 3DS, unless the 3DS is released after the Gen 5 games.

Okay... But the 5gen will be released later this year and 3DS in 2011 and also there is written "same console as IV generation games" proof of release 3DS in 2011 http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf and nintendos annoucment it will be for ds
http://translate.google.sk/translat...ww.pokemon.co.jp/info/2010/01/g100129_02.html (translated by google)

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years

It is wrong that they wouldnt be able to fit in more pokemon, as the games are aprox. expandaple to double the size that is used for pokemon right now, the only reason they havent done that yet, is because they wouldnt be able to justify that they didnt add more features!

When they define "DS", they define it as any version of the DS. It could be for the DS, DSi, or the 3DS. No one knows, yet. Just because they say "for the Nintendo DS", it doesn't mean that it will be for the DS lite/DSi/DSIXL. It still has the chance to be used on the 3DS, unless the 3DS is released after the Gen 5 games.
Im gonna go ahead an higlight in that short wuote, whee it exactly point out that it isnt gonna be on any other generation ds! Even tought the 3ds wasnt announced when this was written, people did expect the next generation to be on another console!

Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
...have been announced to have an expected release date of late 2010, and will, in an unprecedented move, be released for the Nintendo DS, the same console as Generation IV's main series games...

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

Years
It's kinda weird having the 5th Generation on the Nintendo DS, since the Nintendo DS will might be the first handheld in history to ever have two generations on it.
If it's gonna be on the Nintendo DS... then that would mean... all the model layouts and all that will be the same. And they will use both overworld and battle sprites once again. If only they announced the Nintendo codename 3DS at last E3. Or what if they have actually announced the 5th Generation too soon?

But anyways, I'm sure all the mapping style will be exactly the same as the 4th generation. No difference whatsoever, which kinda sucks really, I was expecting more from them.
I kinda wish I was a programmer, that way I would be able to create my first 4th and 5th Generation map editor.

EDIT: If it really was on the 3DS... Pokémon Sunday would have no choice but to leak the info and the looks of the Nintendo 3DS. And I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't want that.

Last edited:

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
Just as a quick thought... Shouldn't the name of the thread be changed now that the names have been unbeiled?

"Pokemon White/Black hacking"?
You do know that PC Rom hacking basically lives in the 3rd gen. Here the next gen is 4th gen. Read the first post please.

Neon Hydra

Master of Visibillity
Years
It would be usful to be able to hack the 4th gen games like the 3rd gen but it would probably be quite a bit harder.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Yeah from the new looks of Black and white it will without a doubt be much tougher to hack.

NDS games can expand up tp 215 MBs because I downloaded one game that reaches that far but I forgot what game it was...think it was Phantasy Star 0.

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
Yeah from the new looks of Black and white it will without a doubt be much tougher to hack.

NDS games can expand up tp 215 MBs because I downloaded one game that reaches that far but I forgot what game it was...think it was Phantasy Star 0.
The memory sizes have to be a power of two, so I don't think there's a game that's natively 215 megabytes. Maybe it's 256 trimmed to 215.

Back