• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I like your maps they have great shape and all the tiles seem to fit great aswell. My only issue would be the border block can be done but may be an issue. its all looking good so

9/10 :)

Map: Town 1
ROM: Firered
Hack: You dont know my hack :P
Comments: credits red-ex wesly fg and zein, I also changed the pallets it appears alot less dull now :)
Spoiler:
Why is there a sign only accessable across the pond? It's pointless to have two different paths right next to each other, connect them. Other than that, it's a nice map, love your tile choice! 8.5/10
---------------------------
Map: First town of my hack
ROM: FR
Comments: I really don't like this map for some reason. Any suggestions on how to improve it?
Spoiler:

credits to zein, XDinky, WesleyFG, and lalo0101.

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
Map: First town of my hack
Comments: I really don't like this map for some reason. Any suggestions on how to improve it?
Spoiler:

credits to zein, XDinky, WesleyFG, and lalo0101.

Your map seems a little on the bland side and you have the ocean why not put a small beach. You could also make the town vary in height with some house being lower than others, put some rocks in the water. You have space so do something with it. I rate your map a 5/10.

Map: Names will come later
Rom: Gold
Credits: Gamefreak
Comments: I got rid of some of the mountain things which I hope makes it look better is there anything else that would make it better. Any way I think I may end up using this when I make a hack.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen May 16, 2014
Map: Names will come later
Comments: I got rid of some of the mountain things which I hope makes it look better is there anything else that would make it better. Any way I think I may end up using this when I make a hack.

Spoiler:

I think this is a fine 2nd Gen map. The grass is laid out in such a way that you're forced to walk through it, but never for too long, which is great because walking through lots of grass is annoying. You have a nice balance of flowers and rocks, which is good because they make it look like a nice little path instead of a mini forest, the ledges are a nice, convenient, too. I say good job, 8/10 all together.

Name: Halcyon Basin
ROM: FireRed
Credits: Gamefreak and probably a few other people
Comments: This is the new starting island in my hack since I had to start over D:< Anyways, It's meant to be a small place, and over all I'm pretty happy with it. Of course since it's a "first draft" things are subject to change, but like I said, I'm pretty happy. Excuse the big land bridge, it's only there because I was testing the connections. Being that my hack is going to take place solely on islands and around water there's going to be lots of sand and beaches, which is why I added various "beach" tiles. I found most of them on Google, so if anyone knows who the actual creator of the shells, sand dune, and bench are, please let me know so I can credit 'em. Also, the dock is weird looking because I was messing around with different ways I could shape it.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I think this is a fine 2nd Gen map. The grass is laid out in such a way that you're forced to walk through it, but never for too long, which is great because walking through lots of grass is annoying. You have a nice balance of flowers and rocks, which is good because they make it look like a nice little path instead of a mini forest, the ledges are a nice, convenient, too. I say good job, 8/10 all together.

Name: Halcyon Basin
Credits: Gamefreak and probably a few other people
Comments: This is the new starting island in my hack since I had to start over D:< Anyways, It's meant to be a small place, and over all I'm pretty happy with it. Of course since it's a "first draft" things are subject to change, but like I said, I'm pretty happy. Excuse the big land bridge, it's only there because I was testing the connections. Being that my hack is going to take place solely on islands and around water there's going to be lots of sand and beaches, which is why I added various "beach" tiles. I found most of them on Google, so if anyone knows who the actual creator of the shells, sand dune, and bench are, please let me know so I can credit 'em. Also, the dock is weird looking because I was messing around with different ways I could shape it.

Spoiler:

I quite like this map. There are a few things that could be improved, though. For one, flowers are usually places in diagonal bunches, not by themselves or in the bunches you placed them in. I don't like the bridge to the bottom of the map either, man-made structures are usually built straight. There's a few tile errors, too. here's an image circling them.
Spoiler:
There aren't any tree shadows either. :(

8/10

--------------------------------------------------
Map: First town remapped
comments: I've remapped this so that it's bigger and looks less bland, but I'm still not 100% happy with it.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
I like it strangly it looks better smaller but add rocks on the water please it looks lonely i like the added trees and floral around the town so its looking great 8.5/10

Map town 2
map of game
credits zein red ex wesly me
is it too sqaure?

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I like it strangly it looks better smaller but add rocks on the water please it looks lonely i like the added trees and floral around the town so its looking great 8.5/10

Map town 2
map of game
credits zein red ex wesly me
is it too sqaure?

Spoiler:

Looks good again, the only things I don't like is that the left side of the town is too empty, and It'd look better if there was only one path type, are it was connected in the middle. :) 8.5/10
------------------------------------------
Map: Route 1
Comments: first attempt at route one in my hack.
Spoiler:

credits to zein, WesleyFG, lalo0101, and Javs.

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2013

This map looks interesting and challenging, but not too difficult for a 1st route. I think it would be an 8/10. The only big thing that I though was that the path felt very windy, rather than simple. I like to think of paths as water, in that they would be built in the simplest, easiest way. This path seems to have a lot of branches which to me seem a bit unnecessary.

Other than that, this map looks great and playable. I would consider adding a few more small trees, and possibly adding rocks in the water to match your starter town. Possibly make the lake water match the ocean a bit more (but that's a tile discussion).

Now onto my map...
Name: Route 101 N
ROM Base: FireRed
Credits: FireRed
Comments: This would be the first route, with the town at the north end and Route 101 S at the south end. By design it is supposed to be able to be traversed without grass from North to South

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Name: Route 101 N
ROM Base: FireRed
Credits: FireRed
Comments: This would be the first route, with the town at the north end and Route 101 S at the south end. By design it is supposed to be able to be traversed without grass from North to South

Well that map is quit well buddy :3
But still there are a lot of empty parts on the north path of the map you should add more flowers and grass, same applies to the south path.
The sand path is supposed to be 3 tiles wide not 2 , otherwise its a quit nice map :3

7/10

now to mah map...i didnt post for the last 2 months or something...O_o
Name of map:Intaka Town
Base ROM: FR
Map:
Spoiler:

Credits:Princelegendari/me , Reck/me and Kyledove/me

Last edited:

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Well that map is quit well buddy :3
But still there are a lot of empty parts on the north path of the map you should add more flowers and grass, same applies to the south path.
The sand path is supposed to be 3 tiles wide not 2 , otherwise its a quit nice map :3

7/10

now to mah map...i didnt post for the last 2 months or something...O_o
Name of map:Intaka Town
Base ROM: FR
Map:
Spoiler:

Credits:Princelegendari/me , Reck/me and Kyledove/me
Nice to see you back i like this map one thing i like is its shape its very nicely spread and the tree's i love how you havnt used 20million tree's but instead used one tree with diffrent shapes it looks nice. the layout itself does appeal me and i cant help but to love it, this map is really great mate 9.5/10.

Map: route 1
credits:me elisa wesly fg
map
Spoiler:

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
Map: route 1
credits:me elisa wesly fg
map
Spoiler:

I quite enjoy your map I like the layout and how you go through the beach is quite neat I do think. The only problems I have with it is the little pocket of empty space towards the north entrance/exit and the grass in the flower garden it just bugs me. I give it a 9/10.

My Map
Name: Route Dos
Comments: Just felt like mapping and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I was trying to not use to much grass because I do that often.
Map:
Spoiler:

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
My Map
Name: Route Dos
Comments: Just felt like mapping and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I was trying to not use to much grass because I do that often.
Map:
Spoiler:

You're still using waaaay too much grass. Gen I and II don't have a lot of open space, usually only one half, one, or two tiles wide. Keep your grass in squares/rectangles mostly as well. It looks better like that, in my opinion.

So:
-Add more trees (big and small)
-Curb the grass
-that ledge above the sign lets you jump onto the tree

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
Years
Looks good again, the only things I don't like is that the left side of the town is too empty, and It'd look better if there was only one path type, are it was connected in the middle. :) 8.5/10
------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

credits to zein, WesleyFG, lalo0101, and Javs.

This looks very good, it has a nice look to it and from what I see there are no tile errors. Also it seems to have a nice flow to it and I like how some parts of the route on the east side go to the edge of the cliff and show the player the ocean. Some things I would change would be adding a few of the medium trees on the right side of the map to kind of balance the few you placed on the left side. Overall I'd give this map an 8/10.

Now for my map,

Map: Volare Town
Comments: The starting town in a possible hack I might work on. It's the player's hometown and located towards the west of the region. To the east is Route 701 and to the west Route 717. Some things of interest in the town are the beach where the first rival battle takes place and the small path behind the player's house where an item is located.

Spoiler:

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
Map: Volare Town
Comments: The starting town in a possible hack I might work on. It's the player's hometown and located towards the west of the region. To the east is Route 701 and to the west Route 717. Some things of interest in the town are the beach where the first rival battle takes place and the small path behind the player's house where an item is located.

Spoiler:

I must say you map is quite nice. I like how you involved the town being at different heights and I can't see any tile errors but don't take my word for it 3rd gen mapping is not my thing. You could use the smaller trees some it might add to the map, but other than that I didn't find any other problems with the map so I'll give it a 9/10.

My map
Name: Route Dos V2
Comments: I took hinkage's advice and fixed some of the problems, added trees, and tried to cut back on the grass.
Spoiler:

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
Years
I must say you map is quite nice. I like how you involved the town being at different heights and I can't see any tile errors but don't take my word for it 3rd gen mapping is not my thing. You could use the smaller trees some it might add to the map, but other than that I didn't find any other problems with the map so I'll give it a 9/10.

My map
Name: Route Dos V2
Comments: I took hinkage's advice and fixed some of the problems, added trees, and tried to cut back on the grass.
Spoiler:

Looks pretty good, you fixed up some things like you said. There is one thing I would fix though. Don't worry its just a minor things, the fenced area going to the cave. It creates a one square path which I think you should fix by making it a plain path or change the trees touching the path on the side paths. I'd give it an 8/10, it's coming along well.

Now for my map:

Name: Mt.Omnita W-E Pass
ROM: Gold
Comments: A pass that passes through Mt.Omnita a major mountain in the Omnita region. This pass connects Helita Town to Torrain City. The east end is more barren with tall grass and trees growing along the edges. Also there are plenty of trainers along this path proving a tough endurance challenge for new trainers. The west end is much more diverse with a winding path going past small ponds and through tall grass. As well there are fewer trainers on this side. Caves dot the mountainside as well with caves interconnecting within the mountain. The two on the inner-most area of the mountain actually connecting both sides together.

Area's location in Omnita:
Spoiler:

Map (Warning! Very wide image):
Spoiler:

Last edited:

onelifeleft

McLovin Waffles
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
This is a map for my upcomming Mod/Hack.

Name: Pokemon Dreamworld
Map: Route 2
ROM: Fire Red
Comments: I really liked this one. See the attachments to see the map.

Dark pokemon

Beginner Hacker
Years
Name: Mt.Omnita W-E Pass
Comments: A pass that passes through Mt.Omnita a major mountain in the Omnita region. This pass connects Helita Town to Torrain City. The east end is more barren with tall grass and trees growing along the edges. Also there are plenty of trainers along this path proving a tough endurance challenge for new trainers. The west end is much more diverse with a winding path going past small ponds and through tall grass. As well there are fewer trainers on this side. Caves dot the mountainside as well with caves interconnecting within the mountain. The two on the inner-most area of the mountain actually connecting both sides together.

Area's location in Omnita:
Spoiler:

Map (Warning! Very wide image):
Spoiler:

I like the custom town map. Anyway the map is great I can't really find anything wrong with it but I don't know if you did this on purpose or not but for the first two caves you can access you can just bypass them and ignore any event that could occur in those caves. 9.5/10

Name: No Name
Comment: My first map ever. This is not a hack, I'm just using this rom to improve my mapping skills to make a quality hack.
Map:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
This is a map for my upcomming Mod/Hack.

Map: Route 2
ROM: Fire Red
Comments: I really liked this one. See the attachments to see the map.

8/10

I like the shape of the mountains and the use of trees looks natural, and the pallette and tiles look great

However, there is a lot of explorable mountain which doesn't really lead anywhere (unless of course there are events or something). Also the pond area looks quite small, and could maybe be expanded, leading to an item or something to make it have reason.

onelifeleft

McLovin Waffles
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
Name: No Name
Comment: My first map ever. This is not a hack, I'm just using this rom to improve my mapping skills to make a quality hack.
Map:
Spoiler:

The first thing I noticed about this map, is that there is a lot of empty space. I know there's not much to fill it with in Gold, but you should try anyway, or make the map a little smaller. Other than that, I don't have anything else to say. I'll give your map a 6/10.

Here's another map I made today for my hack/mod.

Map: Route 3
ROM: Fire red
Comment: Thanks to Wesley FG for making this awesome winter tileset public. See the attachments for the map.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
The first thing I noticed about this map, is that there is a lot of empty space. I know there's not much to fill it with in Gold, but you should try anyway, or make the map a little smaller. Other than that, I don't have anything else to say. I'll give your map a 6/10.

Here's another map I made today for my hack/mod.

Map: Route 3
ROM: Fire red
Comment: Thanks to Wesley FG for making this awesome winter tileset public. See the attachments for the map.

You need to work on this map alot more; all it has is ground, trees and grass all placed in a square-like manner. I'm not going to lie - it is boring to look and play through that map. You can't have grass all over it, getting through all those battles would be tedious. Its shape is square; I think it needs to have some kind of better pathways, less grass & more special "twists" like flowers (e.g.)

Here's my map; I whipped this stuff after nearly 2 months of break, and I finally found the inspiration to continue my work onto my hack.

Hack Name: Pokemon Aegis
Map: Velonoth Hills
Credits: Kyledove, (!) zein (!), scarex, redex, Alistair and myself
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Hack Name: Pokemon Aegis
Map: Velonoth Hills
Credits: Kyledove, (!) zein (!), scarex, redex, Alistair and myself
Spoiler:

I think this map is 8.5 or 9/10

There are some issues though I think.

Sign placement - 3 of the signs are impractical (in the middle of the path) or facing trees.

Grass - I think I can see 3 types of grass, in my opinion they don't look good clustered together - perhaps if they were separated it would look nicer. Although I guess you are trying to make a 'natural' pattern.

Puddles - they have a very bright palette, they were the first thing I saw when I looked at the map and they should be the least prominent features.

Tree placement - Around the border your tree placement is great, I like that bit. However, in the sparser areas I think it would look more natural and pleasing to see a few trees grouped together. In lots of the map it looks like you've been keen on using every type of tree you could. I also think having so any single, small trees on their own looks bad and like filler.

On the plus side I do like the variety and originality of the tiles used, there is a lot of difference in all your trees which you don't often see in hacks. No tile errors (except the signs). The complexity of the map is good too, especially how there are multiple paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back