• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon you like more than their evolved form

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
So, the other day I was playing FR, and it was time to evolve my Haunter to Gengar. Then I thought: "Man, I really love Gengar, but Haunter just looks kinda cooler." Now I still haven't evolved it and I won't until the Pokemon League xD

So, the question is, are there any Pokemon you love more in their base form than their evolved form? Here are some other examples of mine:
Rhydon > Rhyperior
I just think that Rhyperior has too much details on it, which give it a weird look. Rhydon is simple and cool.
Voltorb > Electrode
I know they're pretty much the same, but I like red-white more than white-red. Also, that smile on Electrode is kinda annoying.
Grovyle > Sceptile
I don't really know why, I just thinks Grovyle looks better.
Bagon > Shelgon
Bagon is this awesome small dragon, while Shelgon is a... a... seriously, what is that?! Salamence is still the best, though.

Well, that's just to name a few. Sorry if a thread like this already exists.

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
Ivysaur > Venusaur
Dont get me wrong. I liked my bulbasaur (even though my first starter ever was a Shiggy)
But DAMN is Venusaur ugly. I know certain people who'd say its awesome and indeed it is (in Gen I in which it is the best starter)
Smoochum > Jynx
Really...just no. Never liked her evolution
I rather want her to sit on my head instead
Dragonair > Dragonite
For me the second evolution had much more style then that thing
Beautiful and mysthi...wai..no.no nono..why did you become orange?
And that face? Godness I cant take you serious anymore dangit
Larvitar > Pupitar
Probably my favourite Pseudo Legendary but why the heck does it turn into....this?
It isnt a bugtype. So why do I get a coccoon? This makes no sense!
Vigoroth > Slaking
Three words:
The ability SUCKS!
Stunky >Skunktank
Never liked those two but why does the design of Skunktank have to suck soooo much?
Klang > Klinkklang
Again just the design but I really wonder if Gamefreak just went out of ideas for the form
Add some stuff and...no...it just looks like you built it together. Seriously BAD gamefreak!
Eevee
Generally my favourite Starter (from Gen III in PkMn:XD).
I guess it is cheating since I love every of its evolved forms really
But I cant take it to make a choice for evolving! It rips me apart. Then Gen II happend
Urgh...what now? two more to chose from. It cant get any
Gen IV......
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
As cliche as this is going to be, I much prefer Pikachu to Raichu. It's probably influenced as much by nostalgia for the anime as anything else, but I really like Pikachu's design, especially in comparison to Raichu. While Raichu seems like Pikachu's fatter older sibling that has eaten one too many carrots and turned a horrible orange as a result, Pikachu is much more appealing in the design department. It's no wonder why it, as opposed to its evolution, was chosen by marketers to be the face of Pokemon all those years ago. I probably wouldn't have either of them in a game, but from a purely design point of view, Pikachu >>>>> Raichu. No question.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
The only couple I can think of are Foongus and Happiny, and it's pretty much based on designs. Amoongus is realllly ugly in my opinion. Blissey and Chansey aren't exactly ugly, but their designs are kinda boring to me.

Years
Elgyem > Beheeyem
Beheeyem's colors look silly and its head is so weirdly-shaped.

Drowzee > Hypno
I don't know why, but after seeing the Hypno's Lullaby skin on PC I thought Hypno looked creepy.

Blitzle > Zebstrika
Zebstrika's cry is so shrill. Also I think Blitzle is cuter.

Cubchoo > Beartic
I just think Cubchoo is much cuter, and Beartic looks scary.

Woobat > Swoobat
Swoobat's face looks ugly.

Stunky > Skuntank
Skuntank looks weird with its tail all over its body.

Buneary > Lopunny
I find Lopunny weird, especially if male.

Slowpoke > Slowbro & Slowking
Slowpoke just looks better than the two it evolves into.

Smoochum > Jynx
Jynx looks horrid, no wonder I'm on Luke's bandwagon and prefer the baby better.

Happiny > Chansey & Blissey
I just think Happiny looks more adorable, and I was so glad they left Brock's Chansey as a Happiny until his departure.

Piloswine > Mamoswine
It looks way fluffier and cuter than Mamoswine.

Glameow > Purugly
Purugly's cry sounds like a retarded cat, and Glameow's tail looks much better.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Obvious fact about Sydian: I prefer Petilil to Lilligant. I love Lilligant, don't get me wrong, but Petilil is MAGICAL and FIERCE and all these crazy adjectives and it's just so great. It was one of the first gen V Pokemon I saw (I was trying to avoid seeing them) and it just kind of stuck lmao. I just really liked it, but can't put a finger on what made me love it the way I do. It's just a cute Pokemon and it's got this awesome mysterious charm to it, and you should all love it too. Not as much as me though. I'm the queen.

Honorable mentions:
Dragonair > Dragonite
Nidorina/o > Nidoking/queen
Quilava > Typhlosion

that's all for now bye xoxo

Squirtle > wartortle + Blastoise.

Just cuz its soo damn cute, too bad its too weak to actually win anything

You'd be surprised! I had to use Wartortle in a challenge once and it was pretty decent. :) It was in Black, so I stuck an Eviolite on it and it was pretty good! So there is hope if you ever wanna try keeping it as Wartortle. :D

Years
Magmar>Magmortar
Sure, hand cannons are cool and all, but Magmar has the butthead, and no one can top the butthead.
Tangela>Tangrowth
I grew attached to Tangela a little more during the Stocking Stuffer challenge, and I used Tangrowth. Not my favourite.
Aipom>Ambipom
Ambipom just looks stupid to me.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Tepig > Pignite.
I just love Tepig so much more, at least it evolves into Emboar.
Grovyle > Sceptile.
I really got attached to Grovyle when I was playing RSE. He just looks so much better.

I probably could think of a lot more, but those are all for now.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Joltik is SO MUCH CUTER than Galvantula. It really is. It's the best bug-type after Volcarona.

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
Years
Chikorita > Bayleef and Meganium. It's just so much cuter.

There was another, but I forgot it... :/

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2013
Magikarp > Gyarados is an obvious one, i cant think of any others at the moment though

EDIT: Also Feebas > Milotic

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I have quite a few Pokemon that fit into this scenario:

• Larvitar >>>> Pupitar
  • Larvitar > Tyranitar
  • Sneasel > Weavile
  • Phanpy > Donphan
  • Piloswine > Mamoswine
  • I also find that I like Feebas > Milotic, to somewhat of a degree.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Oh, I have a whole host of these!

• Wartortle - I can't really explain why, I just prefer Wartortle massively (aesthetically) to Blastoise
  • Nidorina - again, purely aesthetically, but Nidoqueen just creeps me out with the boobs, so yeah haha, I prefer Nidorina
  • Oddish - I really don't like Gloom and Vileplume, they look derpy. Although I do love Bellossom, so yeah haha
  • Lickitung - I'm not a huge fan of Lickitung anyway, but Lickilicky... the name, the looks... yeah, can't get on board with that
  • Tangela - While I do like Tangrowth in battle, I think it looks ridiculous
  • Electabuzz - Such a cool line, and i know Electivire is a good Pokémon to battle with, but again, I think it looks silly
  • Dragonair - I do love Dragonite too, but Dragonair just looks so beautiful and elegant, and its shiny forme is a much nicer colour
  • Croconaw - Just never liked the way Feraligatr looked tbh
  • Aipom - Ambipom just looks weird, and I was so gutted when Ash/Dawn's Aipom evolved
  • Yanma - the noise Yanmega makes in the anime just irritates me no end
  • Lairon - Aggron is a beast, but I just prefer how Lairon looks
  • Duskull - Dusclops and Dusknoir just look ridiculous haha
  • Magneton - I really don't like most of the new evolutions added in Generation IV, Magnezone being one of the worst ones
  • Herdier - I love dogs, but Stoutland's just... yeah haha
  • Pansage - again, just aesthetics really
  • Pansear - same as above
  • Fraxure - for being a beastly dragon, Haxorus is incredibly derpy
  • Zweilous - Deino and Zweilous are cute yet awesome, Hydreigon just looks weird... like I know it's not meant to be all cute and fluffy, but still haha

I know most of those are just aesthetics, but yeah. I also used to prefer Dewott to Samurott, but once I let my Dewott evolve I came around :D

Rain Dancer

Wanderer
Years
Sandile.

And most importantly of all, Dragonair > Dragonite!
This one, this one made me even hack into the game and redesign Dragonite myself!

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Aipom>Ambipom

Ambipom freaks me out. o-o It really does.

Quilava>Typhlosion

Quilava seems cute and a bit awesome.

Wormadam<Burmy

Oh god no. NO. I hate that Pokemon. No. It's too ugly and slow. I prefer Burmy and Mothim.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Snivy>the other 2
Oshawott>the other 2
Tepig>the other 2

Yeah, practically the 3 Unova starters.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Jigglypuff > Wigglytuff
Togepi > Togekiss
Eevee > Any Eeveelutions

Of course I'm talking about how they look not stat wise.

Back