• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cobalt [Indefinite Hiatus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
Hey dude , I don't know if it has been asked before ( I've been away for far too long :P ) But if the save system doesn't work , and we play the game all the way with save states then if we reach elite 4 / final battle etc. where the game saves and resets what will happen ? I guess you have a solution for that or is there a chance that the save system will be fixed ? I'm really looking forward for this , definitely one of the best hacks I've seen around . Good luck :)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Hey, I just wanna say the hack looks great so far. If anyone wants to see someone play through the game, search AllTimeIndie on youtube (It's the second result, with a green logo, I would paste the link but I don't have enough posts yet :( )

And yes, Spherical Ice has gave me premission to post this :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 16, 2015
I've started a new run, only because I didn't like my team, and i'm really enjoying this hack. Even tho the graphics are the same as fire red, the level design and the history are awesome. I only have some questions:

6 gen pokemons are already inserted? I've passed 3rd gym and haven't found a single one :/

It has/will have mega evos?

Is the project still alive?

Thank you very much and keep the good work, this one can be a reeeeeally good hack :D

Years
whenever i try to view data of a pokemon the game freezes. fix it please
I still need to test this as I think I've had a few reports of this already, so I won't be able to help you for now.

nice Pokemon game hack, i love the way you do that. i'll wait this game finish 100%, then i'll play patiently and hapily.
Good luck on ur progress <3
Thank you.

Looks awesome, I can't wait to play 1.5!
Thanks.

Great Game, doing a nuzlocke my zigzagoon didn't learn any moves until lv.9 headbutt,
my tailow almost died to a play rough. But I still love it, will there be a way to update from version 4 to 5 with my saves? LOVE fairy type, love the physical special split, thank if you reply
Hm, that's interesting. I'll look into it.

I plan to redo quite a lot of the storyline for 1.5 so I can't confirm or deconfirm, but you probably will have to restart.

I have a Solution for Saving Problem, Well if you wanna save then follow my steps,

1. Open the Game
2. Wait until it says "Press Start to play"
3. after you saw Press Start, Press UP button + Select button + B button, don't just touch them hold them until it says "Do you want to clear all save-states via in-game?"
4. Now Choose Yes and Wait until it resets itself, and you're done now save anytime you want via in-game.

---------------------------------------------
if it doesn't work then Re-Read what I said or Ask me via either PM VM or your Question Here. don't forgot the button combination is like

Hold, UP+Select+B
If this works, nice going. Hopefully before 1.5 is released I will (somehow) fix the saving bug.

Hey, would you (or anyone) mind giving me a rough estimate of how long the current beta is (hours/gyms)? I looked at the map and it seems like Corona Walk is pretty far into it, but I was hoping to let's play it blind (a.k.a. nuzlocke it and be miserable), but I figured I would wait if it wasn't too far along (though it seems like you've already put a lot of work into it!). I figured I don't want to check myself (since then it wouldn't be blind), but I do realize how useless this post is in general, and don't blame you if you don't wanna tell me :P Either way, it's looking really great and I'm surprised it took me so long to hear of it!
It's not too long, I tend to test it with the speed-up function so I can't give an estimate, sorry.

Can you make new sprites for the hero?
Eventually there will be multiple graphical improvements, including the sprites for the player, mother, Doctor Yew, Team Aura, gym leaders, etc.

I do appologize in advance if this was already reported but the game freezes
when i try to open summary to view my pokemon's stats.
As I said to sharathbhat, I shall look into this.

Nice hack i will keep an eye for 1.5 while maybe i play 1.4

Liked the funny dialogues
Thanks!

Quick question, where do you get rocksmash? O.O

edit: never mind...
Sorry, in 1.5 I will make the game a little more intuitive.

just started playing this. absolutely amazing!

EDIT: Just encountered a problem. After I delivered the letter to Dr.Yew, my screen freezes when I got to my starter's stat screen. Any idea what' the problem? I've tried repatching.
Thank you! This problem seems to be the same as the two previous reports, so keep an eye out.

This is one of my favourite hacks on PC right now.

The overall looks of this and the maps are amazing, and I love your idea of a revamped Hoenn region. The story doesn't look deep and complex but it's interesting enough, it kind of reminds me of Pokémon Ranger. You seem to have great ideas, I love Virtopia and the small things like the Shadow Trial house and the Berry blending contest.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that this hack is underrated and deserves more attention. Cobalt is probably one of the few hacks I'll probably play eventually, though just looking at the screenshots is enough to inspire and motivate me to actually ROM hack. Keep up the good work!
This means a lot to me. Liquid Ocean, your hack, was actually the first ROM hack I played and it inspired and definitely influenced me (it along with Azure Horizons, Sienna). Needless to say when I first read this I was pretty pleased with myself -- it means a lot, and I'm really glad to be working with you (even if only when I have the time) on Project Shinx.

Hey dude , I don't know if it has been asked before ( I've been away for far too long :P ) But if the save system doesn't work , and we play the game all the way with save states then if we reach elite 4 / final battle etc. where the game saves and resets what will happen ? I guess you have a solution for that or is there a chance that the save system will be fixed ? I'm really looking forward for this , definitely one of the best hacks I've seen around . Good luck :)
Yes, it is a well known issue with the hack. As I mentioned before, I hope to get it fixed before 1.5 is released, so the Elite Four should not be affected by the time it is accessible. Thanks!

This ROM looks amazing! I would love to play it but I'll wait until a full beta, keep up the work!
Thanks.

Yo, any update to this hack? I'm very excited to see more screeny.
I haven't had the time to work on Cobalt as of recent: other projects, real life issues and a lack of motivation are to blame.

I've started a new run, only because I didn't like my team, and i'm really enjoying this hack. Even tho the graphics are the same as fire red, the level design and the history are awesome. I only have some questions:

6 gen pokemons are already inserted? I've passed 3rd gym and haven't found a single one :/

It has/will have mega evos?

Is the project still alive?

Thank you very much and keep the good work, this one can be a reeeeeally good hack :D
Thank you, I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying the hack! There are no Generation 6 Pokémon available in the game, though Sylveon's coding is in the game: I am primarily awaiting the creation of sprites for Generation 6 Pokémon at a high enough quality (or, at least, waiting until I can be bothered to make them myself). Mega-evolution is something I have considered but I don't think I have the technical abiltiy or willpower to make it happen. In my opinion, they are very much something that works well with the 3D aspect of the 3DS, and I think effectively translating them to a Generation 3 engine is just impractical. The project is still alive, but as I mentioned before I am not really motivated; I suppose you could say it is on a hiatus.

For 1.5, when I do become motivated to work on Cobalt again, I will be completely redoing the story: one of the worst things about this hack in my opinion is how counter-intuitive some parts of the game is, and how much of a patched-together storyline it is. I currently have a rather in-depth plan for recreating the storyline, and I have begun work on the very first scenes of the hack. Here's a video of it, to tide you over until I start working on Cobalt again. The two musical pieces in the background are by giradialkia. I'm sure you're all familiar with his compositions, and if not, what is wrong with you? Go and check out his soundcloud! I'm addicted to his newest track, Red.

Thanks for bearing with me, you guys are awesome. Don't expect anything too soon, but Cobalt will return, and, hopefully, will be much better. Thanks for playing and being so supportive!

While you're here, why don't you check out my latest project, Spheal Clicker? It's an idle game, a la Cookie Clicker, but cuter.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 16, 2015
Nice to see that quick answer ^^ Take all the time you need, after all we enjoy playing this games for free, so noone can complain about how long it takes. Btw, i noticed the crash when you look the status of a pokemon is only if the pokemon is in a luxury ball, so i supose it's related to the luxury ball, i hope it helps :) good luck with the hack!

lukasz_pro

Saiyan Prince
Years
looks amazing cant wait for 1.5 !

how many legendaries are in this hack ?
u gonna change tiles ? i mean grass , trees and their palets

new tiles makes always some new fresh look ! ^^
default fire red trees and grass look old :X

Years
Haha wow that's awesome, Spherical. So simple yet so pretty!
Thanks!
Nice to see that quick answer ^^ Take all the time you need, after all we enjoy playing this games for free, so noone can complain about how long it takes. Btw, i noticed the crash when you look the status of a pokemon is only if the pokemon is in a luxury ball, so i supose it's related to the luxury ball, i hope it helps :) good luck with the hack!
Oh, that is a useful thing. I'll look into it! Thanks for being patient.

looks amazing cant wait for 1.5 !

how many legendaries are in this hack ?
u gonna change tiles ? i mean grass , trees and their palets

new tiles makes always some new fresh look ! ^^
default fire red trees and grass look old :X
Thanks! As of 1.4, I believe there is only one legendary available to capture. Theoretically, the final version will likely have five or six legendaries available. I'm not going to change what doesn't need changing: in my opinion, the grass and tree tiles -- and particularly their palettes -- are fine.

Years
I haven't done this in a long time but here is a small bug report

1.in the Honeydew Gym the guy that tells you the gym leaders weakness challenges you to a glitch battle with ekans and " "

2.in the hoenn port the pokemon center is a house w/ no exit

I did patch using a different patcher so that could be why but everything else works fine so I don't know
I'll test it with the proper patcher being used and submit another report

Years
Very nice, this first event is a great introduction to the game! ;)
Thanks!
I haven't done this in a long time but here is a small bug report

1.in the Honeydew Gym the guy that tells you the gym leaders weakness challenges you to a glitch battle with ekans and " "

2.in the hoenn port the pokemon center is a house w/ no exit

I did patch using a different patcher so that could be why but everything else works fine so I don't know
I'll test it with the proper patcher being used and submit another report

Nice catches. Thank you!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I love the opening, scrolling across the town and the music is awesome!

Bit worried that your Mum didn't worry about your Sister /last night/ :P poor girl!

Years
I love the opening, scrolling across the town and the music is awesome!

Bit worried that your Mum didn't worry about your Sister /last night/ :P poor girl!

haha yeah that dialogue is pretty tentative. I did come up with something better but I forgot to actually use it.

or maybe ur mum is just rly evil lmoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back