• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2018
99% of errors I have heard of with sprites come from people either manually repointing and overwriting data, or failing to uncheck the "fill with FF" box on sprites of expanded pokemon. You see, expanded mons all share the same sprite (I doubt you wanted me to waste a ton of space by inserting 800 blank sprites and 800 blank palettes, 2 for each). So, if you fill the old blank sprite with FF, poof, sprite doesn't exist anymore and every successive mon that still uses it won't load. Simple as that.

the error occurred when I was inserting spirtes and changing names, when finished i pressed the button save all , but on one occasion tighten the save button tab, and spirte was saved, but no the name, press the botton entoces save all, and then I came out the error message.
Now every time I open the tool and load my rom I get that message.
(the box fill sprites with 0xff on repoint? was disabled.)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
the error occurred when I was inserting spirtes and changing names, when finished i pressed the button save all , but on one occasion tighten the save button tab, and spirte was saved, but no the name, press the botton entoces save all, and then I came out the error message.
Now every time I open the tool and load my rom I get that message.
(the box fill sprites with 0xff on repoint? was disabled.)

Well, first, let me ask you a question, do you know why there are two save buttons? Perhaps you should take a closer look at the documentation. The "save tab" button saves the data of the current tab you are in, which for you was sprites. So, is the name changer in there? I don't think so.:P That explains one of your problems.

The other, I think is a forgotten code on my part to reset some variables. Let me go take a look....

Edit: Hmmm, I did forget to reset my dictionary that stores whether or not you made changes to the sprites. I have fixed this, but I don't think it could have caused issues since it would simply just write the sprites again on save....

Also you should add a cry editor on this awesome program :D.

I have never successfully inserted a cry in my life.XD How do you expect me to make a cry editor? I am willing to make one, I just have no idea how.

Last edited:

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
I have never successfully inserted a cry in my life.XD How do you expect me to make a cry editor? I am willing to make one, I just have no idea how.

lol Did not expect that.
Anyway. I used the method where you use Sappy to insert the cries as samples and then use YAPE to change the pokemon's cry to the custom/new one, then use a hex editer to repoint to the new cry.(I'm honestly confused what the point of using YAPE there is--if there is a point--but I did that anyway). Basicly I'm saying(if you decide to take a shot at making a cry inserting feature):
1. Have the cry inserter find free space at either a specified offset or an offset containing mainly FF bytes--whichever would be safer.
2. Have it insert the cry in a similar way that Sappy would(without any of the crashing or whatever).(Also I'm not sure if there's anything special about how samples and the like are inserted, really. lol)
3. Have it take care of all the repointing of data and changing of bytes etc.
4.(optional) Have it ask which pokemon you want to replace/add a cry for during the inserting process. Or make it replace/add the cry for the pokemon you were last on. Not sure how either would work out haha.
-I'd assume implamenting that sort of thing into the .ini would be a tricky task to do though.

If I knew how to make programs of any kind(still haven't found a non-video tutorial--which I really need to get around to) I'd take a whack at something like a cry inserter of my own. But alas no skill here. XD

Yeah I'm probably not helping but I thought I'd just put this out there in case it gives you any ideas or somethin'.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hiya~
I'm having some problems with the sprite editor tab...
I'll put it all in a spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'm not sure why the image's palette gets messed up like that. Wichu's editor works perfectly with this, but unfortunately I cannot use that once I expand the amount of Pokemon and Dex entries in the game. Any idea on how to fix?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hiya~

Spoiler:

I'm not sure why the image's palette gets messed up like that. Wichu's editor works perfectly with this, but unfortunately I cannot use that once I expand the amount of Pokemon and Dex entries in the game. Any idea on how to fix?

ACTUALLY, Wichu's editor IS built for expanded 'mons. It was built with that in mind I believe. Just change a few values in the INI and it'll work. However, if you want to keep using G3HS, just change a palette? If that fails, Wichu's editor is still great stuff.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
I've Actually made a ini for Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor that works with the expanded pokemon using the MrDS gamecode.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
ACTUALLY, Wichu's editor IS built for expanded 'mons. It was built with that in mind I believe. Just change a few values in the INI and it'll work. However, if you want to keep using G3HS, just change a palette? If that fails, Wichu's editor is still great stuff.

Okay, thanks for the info. But what exactly do I change? It's a bit confusing to me, I believe I'm supposed to change the species number (FireRed.ini) but currently it says 440. There are only originally 387 in the Dex, so what does this number mean exactly? If it matters, there are 718 Pokemon in this ROM, so I added 331 Pokemon with Gen III Suite. The extra entries are stored at offset 0x720000.

jkid101094

Anime Girl Obsessive
Years
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 440 corresponds to the Pokemon's actual entry in the code, like how Chimecho is at the end. I know for a fact from my own endeavors that Turtwig is #440, so you'd just add the number of Pokemon from Turtwig onward to select your other Pokemon.

karatekid552

Years

lol Did not expect that.
Anyway. I used the method where you use Sappy to insert the cries as samples and then use YAPE to change the pokemon's cry to the custom/new one, then use a hex editer to repoint to the new cry.(I'm honestly confused what the point of using YAPE there is--if there is a point--but I did that anyway). Basicly I'm saying(if you decide to take a shot at making a cry inserting feature):
1. Have the cry inserter find free space at either a specified offset or an offset containing mainly FF bytes--whichever would be safer.
2. Have it insert the cry in a similar way that Sappy would(without any of the crashing or whatever).(Also I'm not sure if there's anything special about how samples and the like are inserted, really. lol)
3. Have it take care of all the repointing of data and changing of bytes etc.
4.(optional) Have it ask which pokemon you want to replace/add a cry for during the inserting process. Or make it replace/add the cry for the pokemon you were last on. Not sure how either would work out haha.
-I'd assume implamenting that sort of thing into the .ini would be a tricky task to do though.

If I knew how to make programs of any kind(still haven't found a non-video tutorial--which I really need to get around to) I'd take a whack at something like a cry inserter of my own. But alas no skill here. XD

Yeah I'm probably not helping but I thought I'd just put this out there in case it gives you any ideas or somethin'.

That is not the issue. It is parsing through the actual audio/midi file thing and converting it to a GBA readable format.

when can we expect the next release :0?

When I finish it.:P All I need to do is add one more save function and then some testing.

Hiya~

Spoiler:

Look at the palette that you are using. It does not have the same colors as the image. Wichu's editor parses through all three palettes and finds the best one. I have had trouble getting this to work. So, I figured it wouldn't be too much to ask you to check three different palettes. Eventually I will get that code to work, but for now you just need to load it in each of the icon palettes and find the right one.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Look at the palette that you are using. It does not have the same colors as the image. Wichu's editor parses through all three palettes and finds the best one. I have had trouble getting this to work. So, I figured it wouldn't be too much to ask you to check three different palettes. Eventually I will get that code to work, but for now you just need to load it in each of the icon palettes and find the right one.

Mkay, but when I scroll through the 3 different palettes, none of them really match the uninserted sprite:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 440 corresponds to the Pokemon's actual entry in the code, like how Chimecho is at the end. I know for a fact from my own endeavors that Turtwig is #440, so you'd just add the number of Pokemon from Turtwig onward to select your other Pokemon.
It's not just that, you have to change all of the offsets to the ones from the Pokeroms file.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Okay, there's another problem. If I upload the sprite with the correct palette and everything and then save the ROM, it looks like this:
Spoiler:

Which is all fine and dandy. But when I switch to any other Poke's data then switch back to Turtwig's, the sprite's palette automatically changes to palette 0 instead of palette 1:
Spoiler:

karatekid552

Years
Okay, there's another problem. If I upload the sprite with the correct palette and everything and then save the ROM, it looks like this:
Spoiler:

Which is all fine and dandy. But when I switch to any other Poke's data then switch back to Turtwig's, the sprite's palette automatically changes to palette 0 instead of palette 1:
Spoiler:

I was just going to post that my latest dev version has code implemented to auto-select the palette when loading an icon. After thinking for about 3 hours on it, I had a brain blast and started coding.:P

Now, I just looked through, and yes, that is an issue. I shall go fix it. I am probably just not saving those values properly.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
I was just going to post that my latest dev version has code implemented to auto-select the palette when loading an icon. After thinking for about 3 hours on it, I had a brain blast and started coding.:P

Now, I just looked through, and yes, that is an issue. I shall go fix it. I am probably just not saving those values properly.

Okay, sounds good. Make sure to shoot me a message or something when it is fixed. :)

Back