• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fan Service

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
>If the same costume choices and camera angles were used in live-action programs, there'd inevitably be so much more public outrage and complaint.

Would there? I don't think so.

Western media is just as full as fanservice as those crazy Malaysian cartoons. Ok, there aren't many live action shows that consist of guys tripping and faceplanting the crotch of highschool girl alien wearing a short skirt but it's still everywhere.

>but because it's animation (and animation from Japan, at that rate), it seems to get a blanket seal of approval from the fanbase

Some fans go into a show for it but I'm presuming most, like myself, most just realise it's always been there and always will and that Complaining about is pointless.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
It annoys me in Fairy Tail (the only anime that does it rly that I watch anyway) because the girls always have either huge or no breasts and it's clearly only because of fanservice, the smaller girls have pointed this out on a couple occasions actually. It's just annoying because the manga is written for boys who seem to mostly care about big boobs than romance. (there's that forced romantic subplot, and then the obvious romance that is only being avoided because the writer doesn't want to write it in, but the two characters obviously like each other). I think I explained that alright!

I knew I was forgetting something!! in tengen toppa gurren lagann there's a character who's literally just wearing a bathing suit the entire time, she says "It's easier to fight without lots of clothing" but it's clearly just fanservice... it's a good anime but her standing there seriously just throws me off sometimes because she can't be serious can she? apparantly so.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I don't really mind fan service if the story can beat it and fan service is not the most important thing and the thing that is anime focused on. (Yeah, I do watch those kind of anime as well... but only if I need to clear head).
Overally, I don't mind fan service much if it's not overdone.
And I know that the trend of putting more and more fan service won't stop so there's nothing to do.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
If it's a good anime like Code Geass or Gurren Lagann, I'll watch it regardless of the amount of fanservice or scantily clad females. I can make exceptions. I mean, I really enjoyed watching Panty and Stocking too. XD; I would rather not have it on my screen, though. Why aren't fictional characters fighting, manipulating each other, using their powers, or dying enough?!

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
Fan service doesn't bother me. In some animes such as Highschool of the Dead, where the amount of fan service is ridiculous, I find it funny.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2013
Fan Service either bothers me or humors me. For example, in Highschool of the Dead, it became really irritating because there were so much and i actually enjoyed the action and plot of the anime.

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
The only time i appreciated the fan service was during Great Teacher Onizuka,where comical wise,it had me laughing for minutes Xd. Any other time it seems unnecessary to me *cough* Queen's Blade *cough*

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I don't really mind fanservice if it's not overboard or lame. I'm talking about fanservice in normal shows, as talking about fanservice in a show like Highschool of the Dead or Manyuu Hikenchou is pointless. Example: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure had a bit of it in that episode when Lisa Lisa takes a bath. She spent the rest of the episode with a towel. It was done nicely and didn't ruin the episode. On the other hand, I barely finished some Code Geass episodes because of fanservice. Why? Because it was cheap and wasn't done with style. "Look! A waterfall! I'm a girl so I must take a shower *takes of clothes*. I really liked Kallen in the first season, but as the show went on, I started disliking her because they ruined her character. She was nothing more than a character whose purpose was showing some T&A.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
It depends on the anime. I think High School of The Dead is just ridiculous. But if an anime is good overall, I can usually look past the fan service.

Rosario + Vampire is one of my favorite animes (although I like the manga better) and it has tons of fan service. But it doesn't take away anything from the anime in my opinion. It is just kind of there. Sometimes it can be really funny or add to the humor. I honestly wish were less of it, but I love the characters in Rosario so much that I can look past it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I don't mind fan service as long as it's not excessive. There's some anime where the artist just throws it in for no reason and it just ruins a good plot sometimes (Any thing by Ken Akamatsu seems to do that alot.) If the fan service doesn't ruin the story, then I'm fine with it.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
Now you all seem to be implying that fanservice solely exists for the male audience... It also exists for the female-aimed series, although it's less "panty-in-your-face", but more "sparkly-bishounen-with-his-chest-bared-at-any-given-moment-getting-very-close-with-another-male-of-the-same-kind".

That said, I'm not the kind of girl who enjoys in-your-face fanservice.
In fact, of the shounen series that I watched, it actually annoyed me when another character with huge wiggly boobs came on or when the viewer is treated to another gratuitous panty shot for no reason at all. And that's also the case for the female-targeted series. I'm not a fan of BL (just don't like it) and I regret to say that a lot of series tend to drop hints and shots just about everywhere, which makes me feel kind of uncomfortable.

What I do like, however, is the more subtle fanservice and that mostly means the artstyle. Hakuouki is one example of what I like for in a series: Strong story, very strong characters and very nice artwork (all main characters are pretty and handsome... haha |D;;) I'm a sucker for artwork and for me, that's enough of a reason to watch or not watch a series. So yeah, scenery pr0n, as one might call it, is more fanservice for me thnt gratuitous shots of certain (un)covered bodyparts.

My main oppinion: fanservice should not go at the cost of the story and character development. And it should not take away from the atmosphere (unless it's used for gags in an hilarious moment).

One example of a big-breasted girl done right, is Kanade from Chihayafuru. One person makes a comment about how her chest should weigh her down and limit her speed and agility in Karuta. And she replies that a hakama/kimono is perfect to wear with a big chest, and doesn't limit her at all.

GarlandDaHero

Cute Noivern is Cute.
Years
Bleh.

I'm kinda iffy about fan service. I've read the first four volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist, and the fan service is moderately low, with the character Lust providing the most within those volumes.

It really depends on the mood I'm in whether I like fan service or not.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Rosario + Vampire is one of my favorite animes (although I like the manga better) and it has tons of fan service. But it doesn't take away anything from the anime in my opinion. It is just kind of there. Sometimes it can be really funny or add to the humor. I honestly wish were less of it, but I love the characters in Rosario so much that I can look past it.
Well, it's not that fan service really ruins or takes away anything from an anime in particular, it's just that it seems unnecessary to some people because the anime does a fine job doing what it does and would continue to do so without the additional fan service. At least, that's how I feel about it. No anime has ever been ruined by fan service to me, just played up far too much.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I agree that it can be unnecessarily and it usually doesn't ruin the anime.

But then there's High School of The Dead... that anime was ruined for me because of the fan service. It is so over-the-top, unnecessary and ridiculous that I can't even sit through a few minutes of it. But this isn't true for most animes I have watched.

Back