• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Just caught an Articuno with a Friend Ball!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
OMG I can't believe I caught it in a friend ball! I only had 4 ultra ball, but 16 friend balls, so I did it to save ultra balls. Woot!

Have you ever caught legendary Pokemon with a really basic ball?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Yup! I've caught loads of legendaries with the stupidest pokeballs imaginable. Groudon in a Net Ball? Check. How about Articuno with a Pokeball? Been there, done that. I'm not sure why I make things more tedious for myself. I mean I could just chuck Ultra Balls and get it over with. But the satisfaction you get from throwing a stupid ball is probably worth it. It's like you've achieved something... really dumb. And who doesn't love a challenge?

I think my most memorable one was probably Mespirit in a Pokeball. I didn't have anything to block it from escaping so I just chucked it in hopes that it'd work. I practically screamed when it did. :p

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
The only time I ever did this was with Dialga. I managed to catch it with a pokeball. :p

Years
Congrats on your Articuno catch ! I once caught Cresselia with a friend ball. I think it's just your luck ! After wasting about 20 ultras on a legendary, then catching it with a basic ball - feels like quite an achievement ~

Reddo

Happy!
Years
I caught Modest Ho-oh in a Friend Ball in HG. It took a lot of work but it was cool. Also, it was the last Pokémon I caught in that game. In this game I had trained a Parasect (even with EVs) with Spore and False Swipe to catch pokémon, but it was difficult to use against Ho-oh.

Last edited:

Jet Pilot

I killed Spiderman.
Years
I use to catch every legendary as a kid in Yellow and Fire Red with Pokeballs and save my Master Ball until I got to Mewtwo. Legendary dogs were always a problem with me, catching w/o master since you had like.. once chance. Pretty sure I once had to catch mewtwo with pokeballs because I used my masterball. Used like 350 pokeballs.

Years
I caught Rayquaza with 16 Pokeballs by hurting a lot! There is a trick to catch rayquaza while that gendreless pokemon using a move called "REST" :) then you have to throw poke balls as you can! For me caught from 16 poke balls!

Latias in Sappahire Caught via Poke Balls
Kyogre in Poke balls

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I don't usually try to do this, as I don't really have the patience for it and because sometimes the legendary will KO my whole team eventually if I waste time throwing useless Pokéballs at it.

However, I did catch a Lugia in SoulSilver with a Luxury Ball. The weird thing is, this battle was probably the hardest I've ever had to catch a legendary. I thought I would get it with some Dusk Balls and Ultra Balls, but they ran out quickly enough. Then I started throwing any random Pokéballs I had, because of my lack of preparation had left me with only a few left. I literally gave up and was about to restart when I decided to throw my last Luxury Ball, and it worked. I was so excited, as after all the others had failed, Luxury Balls had saved me.

nundo

Quick! Dance like an eggplant!
Years
Catched Mewtwo after throwing 12 pokeballs, I couldn't believe my own eyes haha. I also got Zapdos with a great ball on the second try

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I usually catch legendaries in the more basic balls, for aesthetic reasons:

Ho-Oh in a Luxury Ball (1x)
Lugia in a Dive Ball (1x)
Suicune in a Dive Ball (1x, because on land)
Entei in a Luxury Ball
Moltres in a Premier Ball (1x)
Articuno in a Great Ball
Latios in a Great Ball

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I caught Articuno one time with a Fast Ball!
And Lugia with a Premier Ball!

Years
When I was playing HeartGold, I tried throwing a Poke Ball at Mewtwo on my first turn just for laughs, and actually caught it. I was half shocked at it working and half disgusted at catching it without a struggle, so I honestly just released it. Looking back on it, stupid idea, but I could always catch another if I really want one that bad.

Back