• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Not Another Pokemon MMO

Years
I have been working on an HTML5 game recently to make a "pokemon" online game. I named it PetPals! Here is a very basic demo of sprites, movement, and MMO aspect

http://petpalgo.com/

Not very nice looking right? This is only to demonstrate HTML5 graphics and MMO aspect. Open two windows to see your character move around! Please don't hack and spam the client and server. I know it is easily hacked right now.
I want to make a pokemon-like multiplayer game that isn't owned by Nintendo. This idea is called PetPals and it will be open source and free platform to write and create "pokemon" online worlds!

Game Play
This game will not have the same gameplay as Pokemon. Your controllable character (the master) will have a PetPel (pokemon) that will follow it around (much like pokemon yellow for Gameboy advance). Battles happen in the OVERWORLD at real time pace. You command your PetPal to attack another wild PetPal which will start an automated battle that you may influence by commanding your petpal to use 1 to 3 special moves. Battle happens in the OVERWORLD. No battle scene will initiate. Other people nearby can see the battle and join in against the wild PetPal much like other Online RPG games (world of Warcraft). Only one PetPal may follow you at a time, the rest are stabled.
Still don't understand? Combat is like the hunter character in world of Warcraft if you played before except the trainer does not physically battle and rather stays to the side, only using pet commands and items.

Story
All master characters are half human/half animal. Intractable NPCs will be mixed also with some that are full human. This will be the setup for the mid-game twist. I don't have the main story yet though.

Characters
I will use sprite layering to allow players to wear and mix/match clothes! PetPals will not be able to wear clothes because of the labor of making too many sprites and attachments.

Open Source!
This game won't be referring to pokemon to avoid royalties. This game will totally be free to use/edit the client and server code. I will maintain official servers free of charge to everyone and add more if people take interest in my project.

Cross Platform / All Devices Supported
Using HTML5, I will make the game available on PCs, tablets, and phones! Anything with an updated browser can play. I have multiple UI ideas for each device. You don't have to download anything to play. No outdated flash player needed. Sockets, HTML canvas, and Audio tags must be supported by your browser to play.

What I need?
I can code and do pixel art for the overworld. I need a story, character design, and a user interface designer. I already have tiles for the OVERWORLD background and I'm using deviant art fan made open source "fakemon" for the sprites. My email is [email protected]

Last edited:

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
Years
HTML/JS/PHP combination for a game that's not just a text browser game? Hmmm, I have my doubts... JavaScript doesn't seem like a reliable enough tool in order to have a game that big running smoothly, sure AJAX works wonders on websites when well implemented, I just don't think it'd be good enough...

I'd use PHP for the website but not for the game. The game would be run on Java like runescape and minecraft, I think that'd be the your best bet.

Good luck with tho, it's gonna be a lot of work :)

Years
Too bad my URL doesn't work. It was my example of simple character movement with javascript. It was slightly laggy at first, but i worked out the kinks. I'm not sure how it will handle movement of many objects at once.

Ajax won't be used. The flash player will be used to communicate with the socket server that will send the information to the HTML page. The server will run in PHP.

There would have to be a lot of dynamic loading/unloading to make javascript perform normally.

The point of making it a browser game would be to make it more accessible.

Anyways I'll post some multiplayer demo to demonstrate the capabilities.

Years
Ok well I made a demo of the game using javascript and PHP.
It kind of lags hahaha. its multiplayer now
http://140.114.200.149:900/petpal/

Tell me your: "move loss average" at the bottom.
That's basically how much your graphics lag. It has nothing to do with internet connection though.

Notes:
-only works on firefox and chrome
-If you see Error #2048 at the bottom then refresh the browser.
-Use arrow keys to move
-players don't disappear when they leave. refresh the browser if there are too many people.
-need flash player installed

Please give feedback.

Edit: gah should work now I forgot to take it out of sandbox mode. That's why people coundn't connect.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I gave this a brief test. I typically got numbers around 0.5ms, although it fluctuates quite a bit between 0.0 and 1.0. It rarely goes above that, and the maximum I've seen it go to is 1.9ms. Tested in Firefox 20.0.1. There was just my character on the map at the time.

I presume there'd be more lag once the maps get larger and use more graphics/tiles (or will they be pre-rendered?).

Years
Thanks maruno,
it seems 80% of people are getting values from -1 to 2ms which is acceptable. Anything below 10ms is fine, after that the animations will be jittery.

Actually I realized I can reduce the lag by using the HTML5 canvas element and use HTML5 websockets.

After seeing this game: http://browserquest.mozilla.org/
I now know browser MMOs are possible so I'm going to give this project the green light. I'll post the next version later. Also the game server is going down in 3 hours so it won't be multiplayer anymore (not that it mattered, no 2 people were on at the same time)

Back