• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: dakota was here! castform's a winner! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Manual labor jobs are tedious and boring to me. I prefer something more mentally challenging for working.

I lost around 40 lbs the first few months I had my last manual labor job, however, so that was a plus. Then my calorie intake caught up with me (I had to adjust it so that I wasn't getting hungry 2 hours into my shift despite having eaten not even half an hour before the shift started -- with the labor I was doing it took quite a bit of additional food to reach that point) and I stayed a stable weight for the remainder of the year I had that job. I tended to ache all over at the end of the day while working that job, but I had virtually no muscle strength before that job.

I did gain some perspective while working that, though.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Manual labor builds character and puts some things into perspective.

If the concept of putting things into perspective originates from 'working hard for what you want' I can work just as hard putting in hours of dance/song rehearsal or researching the next scientific advancement. You don't have to get your hands dirty to build character or realize nothing is achieved through doing nothing.

If that's not what you meant oops ^_^

Shining Raichu said:
I just watched a video on water birth so it took me a few seconds to realise you weren't talking about birthing labor lol

I'm linking you videos more often.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Manual labor jobs are tedious and boring to me. I prefer something more mentally challenging for working.

I lost around 40 lbs the first few months I had my last manual labor job, however, so that was a plus. Then my calorie intake caught up with me (I had to adjust it so that I wasn't getting hungry 2 hours into my shift despite having eaten not even half an hour before the shift started -- with the labor I was doing it took quite a bit of additional food to reach that point) and I stayed a stable weight for the remainder of the year I had that job. I tended to ache all over at the end of the day while working that job, but I had virtually no muscle strength before that job.

I did gain some perspective while working that, though.
I absolutely agree. I don't think manual labor jobs are at all jobs anyone should aspire towards. The better high paying and more rewarding jobs are the ones that don't require manual labor, after all. I often joke around with some coworkers at my job right now that a blind monkey could do the work we do, and yet we still have some incredibly dimwitted people who just can't get the notion of pretty much shopping (picking something off of a shelf and putting it into a cart) down. But contrary to what many people belief, manual labor jobs do have great benefits on their own (physically and mentally). If not only in the most affirming way (like progressing in your life), like you just confirmed.

If the concept of putting things into perspective originates from 'working hard for what you want' I can work just as hard putting in hours of dance/song rehearsal or researching the next scientific advancement. You don't have to get your hands dirty to build character or realize nothing is achieved through doing nothing.
Working hard for what you want and using a manual labor job as an example is terrible. The character it builds is different than the character that other jobs build. I can't really explain it.

Years
Perhaps it's humbling as it's your physical body that submits to the toil? You feel the strength and struggle somatically, and so it's an intimate, visceral character that you build.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Perhaps it's humbling as it's your physical body that submits to the toil? You feel the strength and struggle somatically, and so it's an intimate, visceral character that you build.
It's humbling, and also a great motivation at the same time. Nobody wants to work in a warehouse their entire life on minimum wage (granted, warehouse jobs start higher), barely able to survive on their own. But at the same time, you look at the people around you and you grow an appreciation for it. Depending on the type of person you are, it can also be the hardest job you'll ever have. Most people aspire to be something in something that they enjoy, after all. There's a difference between hard and challenging. People want to be challenged, but they don't necessarily want that challenge to be hard in the same way that the work that comes from living that life is. Of course, different jobs require different demands of you.

But its also not that much toil. Sure, in the beginning it's hard to adjust, but I've worked where I work now for about a year and a half now and I can pretty much do every job in the warehouse without any difficulty or physical strain on me at all. Your body adapts.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
If you can't explain it, why did you say it? :P

Though I do that all the time, so I can't talk.
Because it's true. I just can't describe it for you. It's something you'd have to experience to realize.

I think all the entry level jobs and jobs that you would get in high school or a summer job to help pay the bills, or anything along those lines, teach a lot of valuable life lessons, but I only have experience in manual labor and retail. And after working in manual labor, my position in retail was a complete joke in terms of difficulty. The demands were different, but there were correlations between the two jobs that related to one another that I could draw similarities towards. Maybe it also had to do with my maturity at the time when I had the retail job compared to the maturity I had now, which is significantly different. But after working where I work, I hear people complain about their jobs in retail all the time and I just can't help but roll my eyes.

Years
I sold stuff for my first job. Was pretty proud of myself. Better than flipping burgers or working at Walmart, at any rate.

Years
I sold stuff for my first job. Was pretty proud of myself. Better than flipping burgers or working at Walmart, at any rate.
Unfortunately, I've never heard back from employers that don't make you flip burgers, so I may have to wind up working in fast food if I really need a job for the first time ugh

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
My first job was at Chic-Fil-A lol it was kind of special but it was a first job and I got paid so /shrug

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
My first job was at Chic-Fil-A lol it was kind of special but it was a first job and I got paid so /shrug
I don't know how Chic-fil-a employees do it. Literally every single one of them is brimming with joy (even though I'm sure inside they're living in a storm) and are just delighted to see you and absolutely all of them do it in such a natural way. It doesn't seem at all forced. In other fast food joints, people fake enthusiasm and politeness all the time and it's so noticeable, but I've never felt like it was forced when I go there.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I worked in the kitchen, it was different back there hahaha. Real people work in the kitchen, robots are in the front. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back