• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirfetch’d

It's WPA, that's why. SouSilver, HeartGold, Diamond, Platinum, Pearl, and a lot more don't support WPA. Looks like your in the same boat as me. I got WPA but ordering the WiFi USB adapter tomorrow so I can get WiFi.

Ok thanks! I will place an order for one now!

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2012
Egg moves/breeding

Hey Guys! I have a few questions about breeding and moves.
Can one/how does one breed Outrage onto a baby Dratini?

A little off topic but here's another one: If you teach a Pokemon a move that it will learn naturally using a TM, do you have to go to the move forgetter to "forget" it?

P.S. If this is in the wrong place or has already been adressed somewhere PLEASE let me know cuz I'm kind of new here.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
You can breed Outrage into a baby Dratini via-Getting a male Dragonair or Dragonite knowing Outrage then breeding with a Ditto or female Dragonair/Dragonite.Then hatch your egg and the Dratini will know Outrage n_n.

You don't have to get the move forgettor to help you forget TMs.They only apply to HMs which are only deletable via the Move Deleter.If you want to replace the TM for another move,it's perfectly fine nothing will stop you saying you can't delete it :3.

Hope I helped a bit :3!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
A little off topic but here's another one: If you teach a Pokemon a move that it will learn naturally using a TM, do you have to go to the move forgetter to "forget" it?
Nope. As Rainbow Arcanine mentioned, TM's are replaceable moves unlike HM's where in order to replace their slot with another move, you'll need to visit the Move Deleter.

Anyway, I'm going to push this off into the Fourth Gen Help Thread where quick questions like these are better suited!

Merged

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2012
Thanks guys that was really helpful.
I have a few more questions though
1)How big a deal are IVs? I just recently decided to EV train my Pokémon in Black 2, but I haven't done anything about IVs.

2)What is the best/conventional strategy in terms of EV training and how do natures factor in? Like I know what natures do, but... which should I do?
Examples:
a. Get a nature that is high in the best base stat and low in the lowest base stat
b. Get a nature that is high in the lowest base stat and low in the best base stat
c. Get a nature that is high in the lowest base stat and low in another one, not necessarily the lowest base stat
d. Get a nature that doesn't change anything.

3) And then there is also the EV spread itself. When I train it, do I just completely avoid battling any Pokémon that aren't the EVs I'm looking for?
And should I
a. Max out the highest base stat and the lowest base stat
b. Max out the lowest base stat and the second best base stat
c. Max out the highest and the second best
d. Any other combination you think would work well.

Last one for now (lol)

4)What is the easiest way to EV train? In terms of using the stat raisers like HP up, Protein, other stuff like that in addition to those single use items like wings(?)

Sorry I know this is a long post and a lot to ask.
Thanks to Curious and Rainbow Arcanine and thanks in advance to you guys who are (hopefully) about to answer these next few!

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I'll be glad to help you out again applefandroid n_n.

I'm going to say IVs take a huge part in Competitive battling as they make up the value of your certain stats.They're hidden from your view,but Pokemon have IV values for each stat-31 in one means you receive a Pokemon for eg. lets say Golem,it will get the highest attack stat possible for a Golem.

If its just for in-game,IVs won't affect you too much at all.For natures it depends on what Pokemon really.If you owned a Staraptor and wanted to EV train it you'd aim for speed and attack,since Staraptor isn't the defensive sort.

So a nature would probably be the same like that-boosts its highest stat then lower the lowest one since it doesn't give much already.For EV training,it is important not to battle Pokemon that have EVs you're not looking for as that messes it up and wastes EVs in a stat you don't necessarily want to train.And like earlier you should train Pokemon in the stats,they're best at.So if you have a speedy attacker,speed and attack would be the ones you'd wanted to train.

EV training isn't easy,but there is a method to make it quicker.You can feed it I believe a max of 10,stat boosting items to make the process faster,then battle wild Pokemon for the rest of EVS.

Hope I helped again,if this was confusing just say and I'll try put it in better words n_n.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2012
I'll be glad to help you out again applefandroid n_n.

I'm going to say IVs take a huge part in Competitive battling as they make up the value of your certain stats.They're hidden from your view,but Pokemon have IV values for each stat-31 in one means you receive a Pokemon for eg. lets say Golem,it will get the highest attack stat possible for a Golem.

Sorry I don't really get that^

For EV training,it is important not to battle Pokemon that have EVs you're not looking for as that messes it up and wastes EVs in a stat you don't necessarily want to train.

It's kind of hard for me to completely avoid Pokémon that give off the wrong EVs in the beginning of the game. literally impossible.
Here is my situation: I have a
Snivy with
5 At.
2 HP
0 De.
0 Sp. De.
2 Sp. At.
4 Sp
I don't know if I used those abbreviations correctly...In case you couldn't tell, they are supposed to be (in order) Attack, Hit Points, Defense, Special Defense, Special Attack, and Speed.

It has a Quiet nature, and is Thoroughly cunning.
In this case, I was trying to train the Speed, for sure. What would you recommend for the other ones? Based on its nature and characteristic. (Which I understand even less.

Just wondering, from what I've told you, can you deduce its current stats?
These are its stats btw. Can you tell me if it's even possible to do that, and if so whether or not you were right?
17 Attack
19 Defense
18 Sp. Atk
18 Sp. Def
19 Speed

Sorry for taking up so much space, and thanks again. Also, if someone wants to move this somewhere else please do.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Sorry I don't really get that^
IVs are random values ranging from 1-31 assigned to each pokemon once it is obtained as an egg, encountered, given, etc. IVs affect the stats you get, i.e. an IV of 31 is the best, whereas 1 etc would be horrible. Although, getting IVs of 31 are extremely hard. Getting a perfect IV pokemon is harder than getting a shiny. So if you want a speed maxed pokemon, one with max speed EVs would have less speed if it had an IV of 20 than the same pokemon with maxed speed EVs and a speed IV of 31.

It's kind of hard for me to completely avoid Pokémon that give off the wrong EVs in the beginning of the game. literally impossible.
Here is my situation: I have a 
Snivy with
5 At.
2 HP
0 De.
0 Sp. De.
2 Sp. At.
4 Sp 
I don't know if I used those abbreviations correctly...In case you couldn't tell, they are supposed to be (in order) Attack, Hit Points, Defense, Special Defense, Special Attack, and Speed. 

Just wondering, from what I've told you, can you deduce its current stats?
These are its stats btw. Can you tell me if it's even possible to do that, and if so whether or not you were right?
17 Attack
19 Defense
18 Sp. Atk
18 Sp. Def
19 Speed

Sorry for taking up so much space, and thanks again. Also, if someone wants to move this somewhere else please do.

Well, the thing is, its impractical to EV train at the beginning of a game. Unless the EV you want is there right at the beginning, you'd have to cheat to get the right EVs. And I'm a bit lost here, what did you mean with deduce the stats?

Hope I helped.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2012
Thanks. When I said deduce, I meant if you could figure out what my pokemon's stats were given the base stats of Snivy, the level, the nature, and the evs gained. Is that possible?
And what do you mean by impractical? Why is that? I think I'm training for speed and there are plenty of Purrloin available... I'm thinking I should probably move this to some 5th gen thread, although my questions for EVs still stand for 4th gen too.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Thanks. When I said deduce, I meant if you could figure out what my pokemon's stats were given the base stats of Snivy, the level, the nature, and the evs gained. Is that possible?
If you have the IVs too, then yes, you could find out the stats.
And what do you mean by impractical? Why is that? I think I'm training for speed and there are plenty of Purrloin available...
Sure, just for speed it is fine, but what about the other stats that aren't necessarily doable early on without some tediousness? That and it just tends to be easier to do that sort of training after beating the game (so you have everywhere available, better for breeding the Pokemon you want which is part of the competitive team creation scheme for many, etc). Nearly everyone I know who does EV training doesn't bother with it in doing it before beating the E4, especially as it is not necessary to just beat the game.

Years
Getting back into playing

Basically, I am going to start playing the games again and I dont know where to start. I have beaten up to Heart Gold, but i sold my diamond and I dont remember anything about that game. What should I do next? I was thinking of starting at Platinum and going up from there. Any thoughts?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Platinum is probably my favorite from Gen IV, so I definitely recommend it!

I liked HGSS, but the only thing that really kept me playing those games was the PokeWalker, in all honesty. I wish they continued with those, I loved them.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Yeah, Platinum EASILY. Diamond and Pearl aren't very good - Platinum fixes almost every single issue those games had, and is actually a lot of fun to play.

I'd recommend any Pokemon game for the GBA or later, really. If you're just starting, it's hard to go back to the GBC ones as they're so old. Get FireRed or LeafGreen and Emerald if your DS can play GBA. And Black/White and their sequels. If you can afford all of that, anyway.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'd highly recommend you have a go at Plaitnum, since it's the perfect game for those who want a great Sinnoh experience and is a much much improved version compared to that of Diamond and Pearl.

Anyway, as this isn't an 'actual' discussion, but a simple question seeking some answers and advice, I'm going to merge this. Please use the Fourth Gen Help Thread sticky at the top of this board for future questions!

Enjoy your game.

Merged

Last edited:
Years
Like the others said, definitely get Platinum. It was my fave Sinnoh game and it has a nice expanded Sinnoh Dex and better speed compared to Diamond & Pearl.

I enjoyed it when I played it, so I guarantee you'll like it too.

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
I was told to post my question on breeding here I know almost everything about ev's and iv's and in soulsilver by giving a pokemon a power item e.g. a power bracelet there is a 50% chance that the iv stat of the parent will be passed to the egg and everyone knows the everstone trick for the nature but here is what I need help with:
I'm trying to get a garchomp with 31 IV's in attack and speed with a jolly nature
I've tried 2 method's the 1st is with a ditto with 31 atk ivs holding a power bracer and a garchomp with 31 Iv's holding a power anklet If my math is correct I have a 33% chance of getting both IV's onto an egg but the jolly nature can take between 12-25 eggs
method no.2 is a garchomp with 31 atk IV's holding a power bracer and a jolly natured garchomp with 31 IV's holding an everstone I've hatched around 50 eggs with each method and my best result is 31 Iv's in attack 22 Iv's in speed with the 2nd method for some reason the everstone garchomp just doesnt want to pass its Iv's am I doing something wrong or have I just been unlucky?

servine101

hatched, evolved egg
Years
Whats the correct pattern to tweak in to get the fused route 203 to the right of jubilife city?
Pokemon diamond / jubilife city (i know how 2 tweak btw :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back