• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bulbapedia -- Google Warning: May Harm Your Computer???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
Yeah, I've been able to get around it easily, but I did some research and from what I understand, Bulbapedia is confused with another website on Google's list-thingie, so it blocks it. It should be fixed at some point, but yeah, it's pretty annoying. Bulbapedia is absolutely safe, don't worry.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Bulbapedia The current issues are not only impacting Bulbapedia, but also a number of other large websites using these same ad networks.
10 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite
Bulbapedia Please be aware Google has updated their Safe Browsing diagnostic page for us again. Seems our ad network has not yet resolved its issues.
10 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite
Bulbapedia Based on the new information from Google, it appears we're suffering from the same rogue ad issue impacting other sites, including Twitpic.
21 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite
Bulbapedia Google has updated its listing on Bulbapedia, and we are investigating. It appears these are the result of rogue ads. google.com/safebrowsing/d…
21 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite
Bulbapedia We have requested a review by Google of their malware alert message. After our own review, we believe it's the result of a malicious report.
yesterday · reply · retweet · favorite

From Bulba for those that don't read its twitter.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I had this problem on Chrome, then I switched to Mozilla to see if it was a browser problem and it actually worked on Mozilla and it didn't detect any virus at all. So lucky me, eh? ^^

droomph

weeb
Years
Oi, I'm getting that too.

What could make Google so mad at Pokémon? x]

For me, though, I can just click the "screw you I love Bulbapedia" button. Might not be the case for other people though…

EDIT: The problem apparently is with advertisements…

Bulbapedia said:
Editing has been locked temporarily due to issues with malware from advertisements. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Please remember to follow the manual of style and code of conduct at all times. Check BNN and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or IRC channel #bulbapedia.

Yeah, I remember. Pop-up video ads all over the place. It got a bit annoying at times.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
I got this too, and I'm a Google Chrome user.

It sucks since I get most information from over there.
The back way in the web site I found is through email...Lucky I have a subsciption with Bulbapedia sending me links to the latest news from the web site.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I've got this notice too (since yesterday). Although I might have some Adblocker (I'm using Firefox), I think I'll have to wait until this notice is fixed.

Last edited:

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I got this too. I don't know why Google Chrome wants to keep us away from a amazing Pokemon website.

Sir Codin

Says the site may contain malware.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
let's all tell Google that this Bulbapedia malware warning is bull****

Go to Google's home page, type Bulbapedia into Google search, it will bring up Bulbapedia in the results and it will say that it will harm your computer, now scroll to the bottom of Google's results and click the 'Give Us Feedback' link... a text box should pop up and it should request feedback!!! tell Google that this malware warning on Bulbapedia's search results is a load of crap!!! (don't say it like that, just explain that Google is falsely reporting the site as harmful)

after you type your description in, it will ask you to highlight the areas related to your description. highlight ALL bulbapedia websites in the search results, make sure the malware warning is also highlighted... don't forget to black out personal information like your name in the left and right corners as well as your email (if displayed)...

if enough people complain, Google may take action!!! Google apparently STILL is reporting the site as unsafe and we NEED to tell them bull****!!!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I thought I was the only one that was affected by this Bulbapedia is a malware infected site thingy.

I guess I will support this stand as well!

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
I have Firefox and got this error from Bulba before. I have ads disabled and blocked though, nothing bad happened to my computer. Looks like it's back..and now I won't be going there for a while.

Oh wow. Maybe some kind of spam/ad bot attack? Yay for ad blocks.

Google's Report on Bulbapedia:

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 1523 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 300 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-01-01, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-12-31.Malicious software includes 9 trojan(s), 4 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 8 new process(es) on the target machine.
Malicious software is hosted on 6 domain(s), including _ _ _ .

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Not to be rude or anything, but is it that big of a deal that people need to get worked up over it? The problem will fix itself eventually, and in the meantime I'm pretty sure there's alternatives to Bulbapedia. I'm not saying you shouldn't take action, but it's been like a day, no need to get riled up by this.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
So, If anyone had bothered looking at Blubapedia's twitter page (just a few results down)
You'd realise that Google did nothing wrong, and Bulbapedia is actively trying to solve the issue

One of Bulbapedia's ad networks started distributing malware, so any site using that ad provider has seen issues as well.
In other words, Google is just responding to a legitimate claim, and Bulbapedia is actively trying to remedy the situation
https://twitter.com/Bulbapedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back