• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Time Warp Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
That does answer my question, but I remembered a few more I wanted to ask. If one of the eras types is one of the banned types for the Time Rift, is it still banned? Also it is just one rule if the era has multiple rules? If I do this challenge, I'm probably going to put this up on YouTube so I want to make sure that I understand everything enough so I don't look silly.

Ok, since I've played part of Time Rift, I shall explain the process:
1. Start game following the Time Rift Era Types.
2. Proceed to the first Gym battle. You CAN use your starter but you also have to have at least one of the era types with you (for example, in Crystal, you would have to catch any Normal Type that you can find pre- Violet City. )
3. After you win your first badge, pick one other Era of your choice. Select one of the "era rules" specific to said Era and one type EVEN one that is normally banned in Time Rift. Catch a Pokemon of your chosen type and make sure it plays a part in your upcoming Gym Battle.
4. Don't forget your specific Time Rift types. They make your main team i.e. Elite Four/Champion/Red team.
5. After you obtained your 2nd badge, box the Pokemon you used for your first "rift" and select a different Era from the list then follow the same steps as point 3. This goes on until you've obtained all 8 Badges.
6. After you obtained your 8th badge, box the "rift" pokemon and take up Victory Road with you regular Time Rift team (DON'T FORGET the Mandatory pokemon!) and then take on the Elite 4 and Champion.
7. (applies to Johto only) After you've defeated the Champion, pick an Era again and repeat step 3. You are allowed to repeat Eras in Johto since there's 16 Gyms.
8. You are allowed to pick the same types where you have Eras that share types and reuse any of your "rift" pokemon should you not want to level up a new pokemon every time. Feel free to use the Exp. Share if your game has one. It helps ;)

As for your other question:
Even if the Era you've chosen has more rules (most Eras do), for Time Rift, you have to only pick ONE.

What helped me when I was doing my Time Rift (before I lost my save) was write up a spreadsheet of sorts before I started playing. I checked pokemon available for capture in between each Gym to make sure I could pick a type that would not lock me out of the challenge and made sure to pick a rule that would not obstruct my gameplay too much. I was playing a Johto game so I sorta needed the sheet.

I really hope this helps more than my previous answer :D

To be fair, Time Rift IS complicated, maybe that's why people shy away from it :P But I plan on doing another run soon ;)

Limesar

Pronounced Lime-sahr
Years
  • Age 25
  • No
  • Seen Aug 26, 2021
Before I sign up, I have a question about Sun and Moon in regards to the Time Rift rules. I'm putting my question in a spoiler just in case.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Before I sign up, I have a question about Sun and Moon in regards to the Time Rift rules. I'm putting my question in a spoiler just in case.

Spoiler:

Edit: I got some info so now I can work Time Rift for Sun & Moon.

Each trial represents a "badge" and each Kahuna should be battled using your main Time Rift team only.

Last edited:

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
Ok, since I've played part of Time Rift, I shall explain the process:
1. Start game following the Time Rift Era Types.
2. Proceed to the first Gym battle. You CAN use your starter but you also have to have at least one of the era types with you (for example, in Crystal, you would have to catch any Normal Type that you can find pre- Violet City. )
3. After you win your first badge, pick one other Era of your choice. Select one of the "era rules" specific to said Era and one type EVEN one that is normally banned in Time Rift. Catch a Pokemon of your chosen type and make sure it plays a part in your upcoming Gym Battle.
4. Don't forget your specific Time Rift types. They make your main team i.e. Elite Four/Champion/Red team.
5. After you obtained your 2nd badge, box the Pokemon you used for your first "rift" and select a different Era from the list then follow the same steps as point 3. This goes on until you've obtained all 8 Badges.
6. After you obtained your 8th badge, box the "rift" pokemon and take up Victory Road with you regular Time Rift team (DON'T FORGET the Mandatory pokemon!) and then take on the Elite 4 and Champion.
7. (applies to Johto only) After you've defeated the Champion, pick an Era again and repeat step 3. You are allowed to repeat Eras in Johto since there's 16 Gyms.
8. You are allowed to pick the same types where you have Eras that share types and reuse any of your "rift" pokemon should you not want to level up a new pokemon every time. Feel free to use the Exp. Share if your game has one. It helps ;)

As for your other question:
Even if the Era you've chosen has more rules (most Eras do), for Time Rift, you have to only pick ONE.

What helped me when I was doing my Time Rift (before I lost my save) was write up a spreadsheet of sorts before I started playing. I checked pokemon available for capture in between each Gym to make sure I could pick a type that would not lock me out of the challenge and made sure to pick a rule that would not obstruct my gameplay too much. I was playing a Johto game so I sorta needed the sheet.

I really hope this helps more than my previous answer :D

To be fair, Time Rift IS complicated, maybe that's why people shy away from it :P But I plan on doing another run soon ;)

OK that helps quite a bit. Thank you.

Limesar

Pronounced Lime-sahr
Years
  • Age 25
  • No
  • Seen Aug 26, 2021
Edit: I got some info so now I can work Time Rift for Sun & Moon.

Each trial represents a "badge" and each Kahuna should be battled using your main Time Rift team only.

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for the clarification!

RedHead!

flying-type enthusiast
Years
Cool! I want to as I an Ultimate Challenge.

Name: RedHead!
Era: Egyptian Era
Game: Y

Also I have a couple questions:
1. Can we use pokemon that aren't an allowed type of the era as long as it evolves into one of the allowed types?
2. Does Onix count as having a nose?

First Update!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Cool! I want to as I an Ultimate Challenge.

Name: RedHead!
Era: Egyptian Era

Also I have a couple questions:
1. Can we use pokemon that aren't an allowed type of the era as long as it evolves into one of the allowed types?
2. Does Onix count as having a nose?

First Update!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

1. You can use any type that's NOT on the Banned list as long as it evolves into one of your era types. You can also use dual types with an Allowed type and one not specified in either the era types and banned types sections.
2. I honestly never thought of that but I think it DOES have a nose? I just looked at a picture and yeah, that does look a bit like a nose. I guess Onix is in a bit of a gray area (pun not intended).

RedHead!

flying-type enthusiast
Years
1. You can use any type that's NOT on the Banned list as long as it evolves into one of your era types. You can also use dual types with an Allowed type and one not specified in either the era types and banned types sections.
2. I honestly never thought of that but I think it DOES have a nose? I just looked at a picture and yeah, that does look a bit like a nose. I guess Onix is in a bit of a gray area (pun not intended).

Ok, Thanks! I guess probably no Onix for me.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Username: CaptainGizmo
Era: Jurassic Jam

My first time attempting this challenge, sorry for taking years to starting this one, ninja xD

Last edited:

RedHead!

flying-type enthusiast
Years
Second Update!
Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
Username: ShinyHoundoom
Game: Silver
Era: Time Rift

Time to try the Time Rift and I'm crazy enough to randomize the rifts. This might bite me in the butt. I should be able to post update frequently enough since I plan on streaming it Saturday-Tuesday until I'm done.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Jurassic Jam Challenge Update!

Badges Obtained:
50px-Bug_Badge.png

Pokemon Team:

venipede.gif

Solia, the Venipede?
Level 20
Ability: Swarm
Rollout, Poison Tail, Infestation & Pursuit

fletchinder.gif

Haastelle, the Fletchinder?
Level 24
Ability: Flame Body
Return, Growl, Ember & Peck

wartortle.gif

Nem, the Wartortle?
Level 22
Ability: Torrent
Bite, Tail Whip, Bubble & Withdraw​

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
Years
Jumping Through Time - A Pokemon Silver Time Rift Challenge​

So this has been fun for me so far. I've been streaming this and chatting up with a few friends while doing this. I'm going to break down what all has happened badge by badge.

Start to Falkner: The first rift doesn't happen until I beat Falkner. So I take this time to work up a team member that will need to be around no matter what. So since I'm playing at night, I grab a Hoothoot. Now I have never used Noctowl until now and I'm going to be in for a ride. It's not a fun moveset to work with outside of Hypnosis and Reflect with out TMs. Falkner was no problem at all.

Falkner to Bugsy: The first rift was randomized to Stone Age. Rock will do wonders against Bugsy so that is my chosen type. I stocked up before Falkner just incase I did get a no buying rift. I catch a Geodude and to my best to get in as few trainer battles as possible to preserve items. Getting my EXP from grinding. I also made sure to do the second rival battle before Bugsy to make sure it wasn't just my Hoothoot.

Bugsy to Whitney: I got Mobster Mania and since I wasn't planning on gambling I went for the buy everything rule. Poison was my chosen type. That does make it so I buy less Super Potions than I wanted. I grabbed and Oddish, but then realized Grass is banned normally under Time Rift rules so I dropped it and got a Nidoran F. The Togepi egg hatches at this point too. I also catch a Drowzee. Whitney takes two tries to do because of Miltank.

Whitney to Morty: Rift here was Westward Expansion. Geodude buddy comes back since Rock is a type I can use here. Having to sell things i find before I buy isn't too bad of a rule. Rival battle #3 is here and is not too much of a problem. Morty actually also too two tries because I forgot to buy Awakenings for when mons get put to sleep by Gengar.

Morty to Chuck: Medevial Era was where I was sent next. Rule is almost the same as Westward Expansion except I can sell anything and I can get Nidorina back. This lets me finally sell the Flower Mail I was forced to buy in the Mobster Mania rift. Before actually going to Olivine I take a detour to Mahogany to go to the northern route and get my required Girafarig. The lighthouse wasn't a problem, but now I was starting to get behind in levels.

Level grinding session to level 25 was needed. Actually found a Shiny Tentacool while level grinding. I catch it just because that's what you do. And figured if I get into a Rift where water was a type, I could use it. Chuck was quite a bit of a problem with his Poliwrath.

Chuck to Jasmine: To Egypt we go and I couldn't so the no nose rule since all but 1 team member had a nose. No buying items again. Poison was still a used type, but it really wouldn't have matter. Jasmine is Steel type and another level grind session happened. This time to level 30 since the level jump goes from 30 to 35. Steelix wasn't as much of a threat as Magnemite was. It's a short rift time.

Jasmine to Pryce: Post-Apocalypic. If this was earlier in the game I would have been more ok to buy the lowest grade items, however this is Badge 6 to 7. I had to do the Left for Dead rule since no now one could learn bite at the time. Good thing is Lance does give a free heal at the Mahogany Rocket Base.

Now I interpreted the rule as I can go to a center once per town when you arrive at a town. While I did have fly, I only was going to go to places I needed to go for other things. So Mahogany was before I did Lake of Rage. Lance heal at the Rocket base. With no Pokemart at Mahogany I needed to fly back to Olivine to buy items. I did heal there. I didn't heal there after I got Jasmine's badge. If that is still breaking the rule for Time Rift variation, that is my mistake.

And as I was writing this, I actually remembered that the Rocket base gets converted to basically a Pokemart once the Rockets leave. So I think I did break the rule. Oops.

Pryce himself was no problem since he's a lower level than Jasmine.

That is where I am right now 7/16 badges. Current Rift is Jurassic Jam and my chosen type is Water.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Time Warp - Jurassic Jam Challenge Completed!

Badges Obtained:
50px-Bug_Badge.png
50px-Cliff_Badge.png
50px-Rumble_Badge.png
50px-Plant_Badge.png
50px-Voltage_Badge.png
50px-Fairy_Badge.png
50px-Psychic_Badge.png
50px-Iceberg_Badge.png

Pokemon Team:

blastoise.gif

Nem, the Blastoise♂
Level 79
Ability: Torrent
Bite, Return, Surf & Skull Bash

talonflame.gif

Haastelle, the Talonflame♀
Level 80
Ability: Flame Body
Return, Roost, Flamethrower & Fly

scolipede.gif

Solia, the Scolipede♀
Level 80
Ability: Swarm
Rock Climb, Poison Tail, Steamroller & Double-Edge

tyrantrum.gif

Megalo, the Tyrantrum♂
Level 81
Ability: Strong Jaw
Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Crunch & Rock Slide

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
This challenge looks really sweet, I have to do it

I am going to Play Pokemon X and try to beat every challenge in chronological order, kinda like I have to beat each era as I am going to get back to my time in the future.

Username: Xander729
Game: X
Era: Everyone starting with Jurassic Jam

I have a question:

The Jurassic Jam states we need to use a fossil pokemon, the fossils in X, Y are Tyrantrum and Aurorus however aurorus is Ice type which is banned, is Aurorus available for use or do we have to take Tyrantrum

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I have a question:

The Jurassic Jam states we need to use a fossil pokemon, the fossils in X, Y are Tyrantrum and Aurorus however aurorus is Ice type which is banned, is Aurorus available for use or do we have to take Tyrantrum

Mandatory Pokemon are exempt from the banned list. You can use mandatory pokemon regardless of their typing.

Years
Username: TheRealDylanator
Era: Egyptian

EDIT: What's the policy on starters when none of them are an allowed type? Do we have to remove them first chance possible? Can I give myself a level 5 qualifying pokemon found in the game I've chosen?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Username: TheRealDylanator
Era: Egyptian

EDIT: What's the policy on starters when none of them are an allowed type? Do we have to remove them first chance possible? Can I give myself a level 5 qualifying pokemon found in the game I've chosen?

You can use your starter until you get your first era type. Then you have to store/release your starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back