• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer/OS Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Pretty much all of the features you mentioned are in windows. Many features are copied from Windows. Windows copies a few too but far less than Macintosh does. Macintosh still boasts the classic document centric interface that it has had for years. Version 10.3 still boasts it (although it did copy the category view) while Windows has become more and more task centric since with Windows 95. Longhorn won't be doing catching up, it will be giving Apple more work to do in order to catch up.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Well, I don't think a Apple comes with a Web Server, eh? -_-... I can't get it working though... *.*

Well, Apple has way too much eye candy... Should we looking at proformance, not eye candy?

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Haruka, did you install the IIS Snap-in and go to computer Management? ^_^;;

Vito Winstrate, exactly which site/magazine awarded Macintosh the OS of the year award? Macintosh fan magazine?

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Shining Arcanine said:
Haruka, did you install the IIS Snap-in and go to computer Management? ^_^;;

Vito Winstrate, exactly which site/magazine awarded Macintosh the OS of the year award? Macintosh fan magazine?
Yep... It's already installed on the computer.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Vito Winstrate said:
Nope. Quite frankly, it was Australian Personal Computer Magazine.

Then they are biased. Btw, we can talk about ratings all we want. For example, PCMagizine rated Windows XP Home the best operating system.

Haruka, then you misconfigured something. I have never played with IIS + FTP so I wouldn't know what that would be.

punkie90, a 1.2Mbit/sec connection is faster than a 256KBit/sec connection.

Shingo`

The `Latios` Owner
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2004
20GB iPod I got. -_- Its buttons are quite annoying to use without some kind of case or cover on it.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Vito Winstrate said:
Actually they aren't biased on the Mac OS. They mainly use PCs, mind you. And Panther got Editor's Choice and if you want to know why they said that Panther got their OS of the year?

They said Windows XP, which was supposed to be stable, had a lot of viruses and hacking holes that Mac OS X would otherwise be unaffected by. It is based on UNIX, after all.

Does Windows have Spring loaded windows? No.
Is Windows based off the UNIX core which makes it very stable? No.
Switching users with a menu? No.
Expos?? No.

They've been freely adding compatibility features to Mac OS X, and did Microsoft pay them back? Not without turning on Windows File Sharing.

Anyway, off that topic.

I want an iPod. Kairi, what model have you got?
The latest one with the dock, 10 GB. I don't have 10+ GB of music by far. o_o; It certainly is nice though. I keep it plugged into the firewire port in the back of my PC. First Firewire device I've ever used actually.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
Years
Vito Winstrate said:
Actually they aren't biased on the Mac OS. They mainly use PCs, mind you. And Panther got Editor's Choice and if you want to know why they said that Panther got their OS of the year?

They said Windows XP, which was supposed to be stable, had a lot of viruses and hacking holes that Mac OS X would otherwise be unaffected by. It is based on UNIX, after all.

Expos?? No.

They've been freely adding compatibility features to Mac OS X, and did Microsoft pay them back? Not without turning on Windows File Sharing.

Anyway, off that topic.

Well, ether way, you can get viruses without a virus scan..

I don't have a iPod and I am not planing to get one. It's a price as a Pocket PC and... you can only play music?

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
Years
Vito Winstrate said:

Expos?? No.

Anyway, off that topic.

Stability and Security are two different things. The reason there are viruses on Windows XP are for 2 reasons. Users are ignorant and virus writers specifically target it since they consider it worth their time. People's ignorance is not a reason to use a different platform that does that same thing just slower. Why? Because it makes it worth the effort virus writers put into writing viruses for that platform. Do you know that it took 6 years for virus writers to target Windows NT? Why? Because after 6 years they considered it worth their time. If virus writers considered it worth their time, Apple would be under fire for security all of the time. Btw, since you can't tell the difference between stability and security, I will spell it out for you. When a computer is stable, it does not crash often. When a comptuer is secure, it doesn't get hacked often.

Do you know that Unix is a dead operating system? Unix was written in the 80s. It did not have a GUI, all it did was have commandline that you typed extremely complex strings into. Companies that are still running Unix are replacing them either Linux or Windows computers. With Mac OS X Apple brought a license from SCO (if it didn't they would be bring sued around now), slapped on a GUI, and then made a ton of modifications to add features. Nothing revolutionary there.

By the way, since Mac OS X is based on Unix I figure it has the same security holes. E.g. Unix Raw Sockets that allow people to send packets from a computer that look like another computer sent them.

punkie90

You can call me PK!
Years
WOW^ . Well ALl I have to say, Is that I might be getting a computer in my room, And I might get a betwork, so both ca be online. How much a month that costss extra!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back