• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 24, 2018
Hi!
I'm completely new here, but I've got a question about a weird Pok?mon card I found in my collection the other day. It looks like a (spanish) Gyarados card, but instead of Gyarados it says Prinplup. Is this a fake card that got it wrong, a misprint, or something else?

EjvQRSh.jpg

It's not in great condition as you can see, but I hope the picture is clear enough. I'm pretty sure it's fake, but I know close to nothing about Pok?mon cards, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out here!

Last edited:
Years
Hi!
I'm completely new here, but I've got a question about a weird Pokémon card I found in my collection the other day. It looks like a (spanish) Gyarados card, but instead of Gyarados it says Prinplup. Is this a fake card that got it wrong, a misprint, or something else?

EjvQRSh.jpg

It's not in great condition as you can see, but I hope the picture is clear enough. I'm pretty sure it's fake, but I know close to nothing about Pokémon cards, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out here!

I'm 99.9% confident it's a counterfeit, as such egregious errors in Pokemon name rarely happen (last one I can recall was a promo of a Garchomp card released in English being released with Garchomp's German name on them in its first print run back in 2009/2010), and to my knowledge they've never released a card with an entirely different Pokemon's name on it before.

That and the font looks off in a number of areas.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 10, 2018
Weird card

Can't seem to find this first edition otomaru card I have anywhere on the internet, making me hope it's expensive and rare. Any ideas would be appreciated?

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen May 15, 2018
My daughter has a card that says Ponyta LV.13 HP60 and the fire symbol at the top. Then it has a charmander in the little circle. It says Stage 1 Evolves from Ponyta. The picture is a foil rapidash (No.077 Fire Horse Pokemon HT3'03" WT:66.1 Lbs. The abilities are Tackle and Stomp. Is this some kind of misprint that might be worth something?
IMG_20180513_135830.jpg

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 28, 2020
I found these on ebay and I'm thinking about buying but the guy only wants $150, they have to counterfeit, right?

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Years
My daughter has a card that says Ponyta LV.13 HP60 and the fire symbol at the top. Then it has a charmander in the little circle. It says Stage 1 Evolves from Ponyta. The picture is a foil rapidash (No.077 Fire Horse Pokemon HT3'03" WT:66.1 Lbs. The abilities are Tackle and Stomp. Is this some kind of misprint that might be worth something?
View attachment 85369

Sorry to say, CheesyChocobo, but that "Ponyta" is a counterfeit all around. The Charmander in the "evolves" from circle is the first giveaway (meaning the base card may have been an edited Charmeleon), second is the the "Evolves from Ponyta next to it, which makes it look more like it was a Rapidash card that was edited. Third is the picture, which is of a Rapidash and looks poorly edited in. Fourth is that all the fonts on the card look completely off. And fifth is that the energy symbols on the cards look off.

I found these on ebay and I'm thinking about buying but the guy only wants $150, they have to counterfeit, right?

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

I think people are way overpaying for a PSA 10 graded holo 1st edition Aerodactyl. You only have to go back to March 10th to find one being sold for less than $100 US, but most auctions since and a couple around the time of the $100 one are going for $150 and $130. In comparison, the non-holo PSA one is consistently going for around $30 (outside of someone definitely not paying attention to what card was up for auction and spending $150 on it - yikes!). And an ungraded prerelease Aerodactyl fetches around $7. $150 may be below the eBay market's usual going rate, but it's not terribly far off.

I also personally don't see any counterfeit tells on the aerodactyls from the photo, but I'm not the ultimate authority for discerning well done counterfeits from a photo.

Last edited:

Awi

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 16, 2018
Hi everyone :)
Im new here, my name is David and I'm from Poland.
Yesterday I found my pokemon cards but I have a problem with their identification and valuation. I have only first generation. They have English language. I hope that the link from google drive will work here
For example:

CARD 1
Mewtwo
Base set two (symbol is pokeball with number 2)
10/102 with star symbol
It's HOLO
I google it but everywhere are two versions of this card:
a. Without symbol base set 2 they are blank OR have 1 edition symbol. They have 10/102 with star
b. They are with symbol base set 2 but they have numbers 10/130
I have combine these two versions of card: With symbol base set 2 and with number 10/102
Is this a error or something? They have trademarks, Im sure this card is original.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EYK170D1hRfGnzCtxYcXEKQGl-2JzfnW

CARD 2
I have a lot of these cards but take only one for example:
Machop
There is no symbol
52/102 with circle symbol
In this card I dont need valuation, I only want to know what is the edition and if this is the original card.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IOZkn_KMZKo9Azuxclz6REmj5leihUts

Last edited:
Years
Hi everyone :)
Im new here, my name is David and I'm from Poland.
Yesterday I found my pokemon cards but I have a problem with their identification and valuation. I have only first generation. They have English language. I hope that the link from google drive will work here
For example:

CARD 1
Mewtwo
Base set two (symbol is pokeball with number 2)
10/102 with star symbol
It's HOLO
I google it but everywhere are two versions of this card:
a. Without symbol base set 2 they are blank OR have 1 edition symbol. They have 10/102 with star
b. They are with symbol base set 2 but they have numbers 10/130
I have combine these two versions of card: With symbol base set 2 and with number 10/102
Is this a error or something? They have trademarks, Im sure this card is original.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EYK170D1hRfGnzCtxYcXEKQGl-2JzfnW

CARD 2
I have a lot of these cards but take only one for example:
Machop
There is no symbol
52/102 with circle symbol
In this card I dont need valuation, I only want to know what is the edition and if this is the original card.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IOZkn_KMZKo9Azuxclz6REmj5leihUts

So, your Mewtwo is a counterfeit/fake. The combination of the 10/102 collector's number and the Base Set 2 symbol are the first tell. All Base Set 2 cards would have their collector's number be some variation of "x/130", where X is the card's number for Base Set 2, so in a Base Set 2 Mewtwo's case, it should read "10/130". The next tell is the fact that the fonts used, particularly for the attacks and the Pokedex flavor text (the text in that box near the bottom of the card), are off. And another tell is that the Energy symbols are off center, and all official energy symbols are centered. And a final tell is that holographic pattern used in the picture. I don't think I've seen any official card use that particular holofoil pattern with the dots arranged in that particular way. This last one I'm the least certain on, but I am 100% certain your Mewtwo card is a counterfeit/fake.

Card 2, in comparison, is, as best as I can tell, a 100% legit English shadowed unlimited print run Base Set Machop.

Did this clear anything up for you?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 20, 2018
Common-instead-of-rare misprint value

I recently discovered one of my cards, a Samurott 31/114 Black and White 1 Set, has a misprint. Instead of the rare should have in the bottom right corner, it has a common circle. I haven't ever found any information about something similar, so what is it worth?

Years
I recently discovered one of my cards, a Samurott 31/114 Black and White 1 Set, has a misprint. Instead of the rare should have in the bottom right corner, it has a common circle. I haven't ever found any information about something similar, so what is it worth?

Hello, I've moved your question to the appropriate thread for these types of questions.

What you have is most likely a counterfeit card, unfortunately, which means it has no value. Would you mind posting a picture of the card as an attachment so we can confirm this?

Years
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eIpwUc2QNyEr4Kq0jp88fylCTvZiVbXn/view?usp=sharing

Here's a picture. I could be mistaken but I believe I got this card in a pack.

Yep. Counterfeit. Getting in a pack doesn't inherently make it legit because there are places that sell counterfeit boosters, and also places that sell repackaged boosters.

In addition to the rarity symbol, all the fonts are wrong as are the energy symbols, and the card is too dark overall.

Here's the one they were trying to counterfeit, for reference:

displayimage.php

Years
  • Age 53
  • Seen May 21, 2018
1996 Japanese holo pocket monster cards

in 1998 I bought a friend's son's collection of Pokemon cards for my son. But he was into another card game and I put them away. I've been looking at them recently and there are 5 Japanese holo pocket monster cards that are absolutely shiny and beautiful, and which I can't find on the net.
They are Meowth HP50 no.052, Nidoran HP60 no. 029, Geodude HP50 no.074, Mankey HP 40 no. 056, and Seal HP50 no.086. All of them say c 1996 Nintendo inc., c 1996 Creatures inc., c 1996 GameFreak inc and All Rights reserved on the back.
I have spent hours looking for these cards on the net and can't find them. I think they are from the first Japanese base set, but I'm not sure if they were promos or what. Any help would be most appreciated.

Years
in 1998 I bought a friend's son's collection of Pokemon cards for my son. But he was into another card game and I put them away. I've been looking at them recently and there are 5 Japanese holo pocket monster cards that are absolutely shiny and beautiful, and which I can't find on the net.
They are Meowth HP50 no.052, Nidoran HP60 no. 029, Geodude HP50 no.074, Mankey HP 40 no. 056, and Seal HP50 no.086. All of them say c 1996 Nintendo inc., c 1996 Creatures inc., c 1996 GameFreak inc and All Rights reserved on the back.
I have spent hours looking for these cards on the net and can't find them. I think they are from the first Japanese base set, but I'm not sure if they were promos or what. Any help would be most appreciated.

I've gone ahead and moved your post into the appropriate thread for this type of question.

Anyway, from your description, I think they're actually counterfeits that are actually stickers. Mind uploading a photo as an attachment to your next post in this thread to confirm that?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen May 23, 2018
Is this fake?

I have a basic Cubchoo that says the HP is 7000. But when I Google search for this card nothing appears. Is this card fake?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I have a basic Cubchoo that says the HP is 7000. But when I Google search for this card nothing appears. Is this card fake?

Moved this to the right place. :) Please feel free to post a proper introduction though!

WkDpesD.png

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 26, 2018
Hello,

Sorry if this is not in the correct spot. I have two Nidokings from the base set (11/102). One of them has a noticeable darker green background. Its not shadowless or 1st edition. Everything about the card looks legit, but I'm just not sure. Would anyone be able to provide any insight? That would be so great.

Thanks!!

Darrin

Years

Your Cubchoo is 100% certainly a fake/counterfeit. They've never typoed the HP for a card to have an HP that high.

Hello,

Sorry if this is not in the correct spot. I have two Nidokings from the base set (11/102). One of them has a noticeable darker green background. Its not shadowless or 1st edition. Everything about the card looks legit, but I'm just not sure. Would anyone be able to provide any insight? That would be so great.

Thanks!!

Darrin

Is the other one shadowless and first edition? They were tinkering with a lot of the coloring of the cards with the Base Set print runs from what I've read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back