• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Who was the hardest Gym Leader in B/W?

Hardest Gym Leader in B/W?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I just got Black a couple of days ago(finally. Money has been really tight the past year and a half) and I'm in Nimbasa City right now training to fight Elesa(who my little cousin says is hard). For now, I have to say Lenora who forced me to train a Sawk just so I could finally move on. I'm not surprised really; the normal gyms have always been one of the hardest to ones(I guess to compensate for normal's lack of an elemental/specialized power).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Elesa's Emolga were irritating with their fast and strong attacks and annoying good typing for resistances, but the hardest in my opinion was the Striaton trio. I don't like the monkey Pokémon so I don't train them, therefore I'm stuck using only my starter against their Pokémon which isn't the easiest match up xD Usually I have to resort to using the monkey I was given to help out, but even so I still think they're the hardest for the point in the game that they're at.

vlay

Picnicker
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
I think Lenora, her Watchog have Hypnosis make my pokemon sleep, it make me frustated @-@. And her Herdier have Retealite is powerful when her Watchog is dead.

Years
Elesa Op...? Or I just suck...?

I just beat Elesa on my new save file a little while ago, and it got me thinking about how OP Elesa's gym is, and I really got goin' on this cuz I forgot to save and I have to do the gym over again =_=

First of all, Elesa has like...3 Emolgas now? And she just volt switches in and out the whole battle, and you can't do anything about it because the only Ground type available when you battle Elesa is Sandile, and because Emolga is a flying type so ground moves don't do anything! It seems to me that GameFreak just flicked everyone off by making a gym leader with 3 emolgas that can't be countered.
I mean, even if Emolga wasn't a flying type, Sandile doesn't get Earthquake, or any other useful ground type move until lvl 40 or so, just the stinky Mud Slap, and Sand Tomb, etc. crap.

I mean, maybe I'm just missing something, or I just suck, and Elesa isn't as hard as I think.

Usually Pokemon Games are way too easy, the reason b/w2 has challenge mode now, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but I think Elesa is TOO hard.

I know I'm not the only one who hates Elesa(Sorry Elesa being sexy doesn't mean people will like you) cuz I've watched Let's Plays of people raging at Elesa for her OP volt swith Emolgas.

What are your thoughts

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I just beat Elesa on my new save file a little while ago, and it got me thinking about how OP Elesa's gym is, and I really got goin' on this cuz I forgot to save and I have to do the gym over again =_=

First of all, Elesa has like...3 Emolgas now? And she just volt switches in and out the whole battle, and you can't do anything about it because the only Ground type available when you battle Elesa is Sandile, and because Emolga is a flying type so ground moves don't do anything! It seems to me that GameFreak just flicked everyone off by making a gym leader with 3 emolgas that can't be countered.
I mean, even if Emolga wasn't a flying type, Sandile doesn't get Earthquake, or any other useful ground type move until lvl 40 or so, just the stinky Mud Slap, and Sand Tomb, etc. crap.

I mean, maybe I'm just missing something, or I just suck, and Elesa isn't as hard as I think.

Usually Pokemon Games are way too easy, the reason b/w2 has challenge mode now, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but I think Elesa is TOO hard.

I know I'm not the only one who hates Elesa(Sorry Elesa being sexy doesn't mean people will like you) cuz I've watched Let's Plays of people raging at Elesa for her OP volt swith Emolgas.

What are your thoughts

Hey Krazz sorry but if this thread hadn't have existed I'd have left this on its own, but people have brought up Emolga here, and generally people should get into discussions within threads like this rather than just post once and disappear, and your post can lead to discussion. n_n;

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2013
I beat Lenora using his own tactic using an Attract-Audino. I shoul say the last gym may have been the hardest, just because i got no ice/dragon moves within my movesets.

Years
@Nica; Err, I don't remember posting here...I thought that was a new thread O_o, also I don't understand what you're saying

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Elesa ._. I hate her. And electric types. I mean, volt switch is a pain.

Khawill

<3
Years
Lol I blasted through all the gyms with a Stoutland (Dig, Return, Work Up, and Crunch, had take down until I got the return TM) literally ditched my starter (oshwott) for it (Xp share on a trapinch/vibrava). Even the second gym was pretty easy, the only hard gym for me was Elesa. Mostly because all I had for her was dig and that wasn't helpful on two of her Pokemon. Oh and paralyze sucks, hate it and static. Return is a pretty Bakker move, It one shots pretty much anything and Stoutland doesn't have many weaknesses, paired with a good defense.

I did however have a Pokemon with rock tomb taught from a TM I had received before getting to that gym, so after I grinded him up, (along with torkcoal for some extra defense) It was a breeze.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
The only gym leader I only had struggles with was definitely Elesa. My team couldn't stand a chance against her, and the only thing I had to do was get a ground-type to cover up the bounds. I had to grind massively when challenging Elesa, and after all that, it was worth it.

Lunicli

Ongoing Competitive Battler
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
Volt Switches. Too. Many. Volt Switches.

Batel

A nothing.
Years
For me, the most difficult gym was definitely Skyla's.

This is because:
A: Every other gym was a breeze, my Pokemon just ruined Gym Leaders for the most part.

B: My Four-man team just wasn't ready for that darn Swanna. My team at the time had nothing to deal with water types... And BOY did I get a kick in the rump for it.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Elesa, but only in BW for some reason. All my Pokemon were slow and kept being paralyzed by Static. All the other leaders were pretty easy.

Years
For me, the most difficult gym was definitely Skyla's.

This is because:
A: Every other gym was a breeze, my Pokemon just ruined Gym Leaders for the most part.

B: My Four-man team just wasn't ready for that darn Swanna. My team at the time had nothing to deal with water types... And BOY did I get a kick in the rump for it.

I played through White a while ago, and I sort of breezed through that gym without even leaving for PokeCenter. I think it was because I had a Zebstrika on me though for her gym. I personally felt that as long as you had some sort of Electric Pokemon, her gym would be easiest of them all.

My hardest has always been Lenora with Elesa coming in close second.

Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2012
I say drayden, but, that might just be because of my liking for a specific pokemon type :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I say drayden, but, that might just be because of my liking for a specific pokemon type :P

Would that be... something that resists dragon maybe? (Just in case you accidentally mistook hardest for favourite!) As for me Drayden was still pretty easy tbh, I didn't really need to grind that much for him or Iris but I was a high level anyways.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
I had no problem with Lenora because of my Servine and Sawk, but Drayden was very hard for me. His Fraxure along with his Haxorus was very strong with Dragon Dance and somewhat overleveled me by just 5 levels that I had to restart at least 2 times and replace one of my Pokemon by a Deino.

Years
I had no problem with Lenora because of my Servine and Sawk, but Drayden was very hard for me. His Fraxure along with his Haxorus was very strong with Dragon Dance and somewhat overleveled me by just 5 levels that I had to restart at least 2 times and replace one of my Pokemon by a Deino.

But I thought you can't get Deino until Victory Road, which is after you defeat him?

Anyways, he did give me a little trouble cos I lacked Ice-types on my team.

Back