• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"But Pokemon is for kids"

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
My initial response would be examine your relationship to the person who is questioning your maturity upon playing a video game.

Occam's Razor would dictate they are speaking out of ignorance, and simply need to experience the game(s) in order to break out of their (social) filters built upon their perceptions.

However, if the suspect(s) in question persist, you may want to steer clear of those individuals, since they are probably not your friends and/or allies to begin with, and are simply using you for whatever (political) machinations in mind.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Pokemon is for everyone but is aimed primarily at kids. That's how GF pulls off all the cheap marketing tricks and gets away with it. Pokemon isn't even complex, competitive battling isn't chess either.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
It actually makes it all the more fascinating to me when I see adults playing/wearing Pokémon merch in public, it's like meeting a kindred spirit, lol.

Not that big of a deal to me, I can totally understand why people would think that, especially people who aren't that familiar or into games in general in the first place. At first glance, it does present as more of a children's game with the art-style, dialogue, gameplay. It really only gets more complex in competitive play.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I see adults playing Pokemon GO all the time, so, I thiiink there's a small fan within all of us. c:

I remember when Pokemon used to be eeeeverywhere, from cereal, to stickers, etc. The advertisement was really grand; I saw adults with some kind of merchandise of Pokemon. Not as much these days, but, I think there are more fans than we think~!

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
.....I guess I just don't understand how the human mind works as well as maybe some of you do....

I could be talking more about me than other people in my last post o_o; See, as a kid, I would not of understood pokemon like I do now at 28.

Theory of mind is tricky...

I guess i understand the designs being 'childish' to people, though. Something like that I sort of get. Children tend to like cute things. Adults often will shy away from cute media, is what i've heard.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Years
In Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, you can say you've played pokemon for 20+ years.

So, the creators sure don't think this is 'just a kids game' :P

Years
It's so interesting because I think this whole "Pokemon is for babies/kids!!" kind of mindset, at least in my experiences, has been more perpetuated years ago than it is currently. I think because of the success of Pokemon Go, more and more people are getting into Pokemon that really haven't before, so you don't really see very many people make these kinds of comments.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
I keep saying about Pokemon in my workplace to my female friend, then she asks if i'm 3, then when i quote Aim to be a pokemon master's "under the girl's skirt" she thinks it's dirty

Pokemon and DB are for kids, but it's too mature for us

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I don't think it's untrue. It pretty much is aimed at kids. The anime alone is a prime example of it.

It's why when I say I like the games to those unfamiliar, I have to stress it's for RPG purposes only. Because of the stigma attached.
And if I'm being totally honest, apart from just the gameplay itself, I find the entire franchise of Pokemon to actually be quite embarrassing overall.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Years
Since I present myself as a 'girly girl' pretty much all the time in real life, I kinda don't care if people know if I like something 'childish' :P I mean, girly girls typically like cute things? So people probably don't care too much overall when I tell them i'm a pokemon fan. Not when I already wear cute dresses and make up when I go out a lot lol

They probably just assume i'm into something 'for kids' for the sake of adorable xD Not too bad I suppose.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
It's so interesting because I think this whole "Pokemon is for babies/kids!!" kind of mindset, at least in my experiences, has been more perpetuated years ago than it is currently. I think because of the success of Pokemon Go, more and more people are getting into Pokemon that really haven't before, so you don't really see very many people make these kinds of comments.

Yeah definitely, most of the people who've been joining our local TCG league since GO are 20+. Its part nostalgia, part rediscovery of a franchise they loved and now love again.

I keep saying about Pokemon in my workplace to my female friend, then she asks if i'm 3, then when i quote Aim to be a pokemon master's "under the girl's skirt" she thinks it's dirty

Pokemon and DB are for kids, but it's too mature for us

In fairness if someone tried to talk to me about sexual acts whilst calling themselves a pokemon master I'd probably either walk off or laugh at them. You should try either talking about why you like it despite its perceived audience, or if your friend doesn't like it or thinks its childish you could try not talking about it to her.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Pokemon is for kids, but that doesn't mean teens and adults can't enjoy it

(Fixed)

You should try either talking about why you like it despite its perceived audience, or if your friend doesn't like it or thinks its childish

Kinda like it, there's also a male friend who does pokemon related movies on YT, i want to exchange with him Pokemon trading cards, he claims he has 300 of them

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Years
Sometimes, its kind of FUN when other people claim to 'outgrow' Pokemon.

Just cuz you can possably get free pokemon stuff out of them then >D Hahaha.

(...even if its still silly they think they're 'too old' for it xP still, haha. THINK OF THE FREE HAND ME DOWNS PEOPLE!!! :P *evil laughter*)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Pokemon is for kids. That's something I got told a lot, well I used to hear a lot.

What do you think about it? Is this comment still present in your life? I don't know why but it is not as present in my life as before. Did it had an impact on how you play the game or call yourself a Pokemon lover? How do you respond to this kind of comments about Pokemon?

Well, Pokémon is for kids. That's a fact.

That said, something aimed at kids can be enjoyed by adults too. Adults only need to accept it for what it is.

Back