• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kinect: Your Opinion!

pichuspark

looooooooooooooool :3
Years
At the Microsoft conference at E3, the company revealed the Kinect; something that I'd define as the Wii...without a remote!

What I hated about Kinect was how it WAS PRESENTED. It was basically copying half of Nintendo's Wii games (Kinect Sports=Wii Sports, etc.). Yeah...although I heard some fanboys saying how Microsoft ripped off Nintendo's show...last year or so?

Anyway, what do you think about Kinect? Will you buy it?

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
The gimmick to end all gimmicks.

It doesn't have buttons, and it doesn't have enough versatility to even do the genre that sustains the 360, FPS.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
Years
The Kinect and the Move amuse me so much. Microsoft and Sony spent ages ragging on Nintendo because lol a Wii what a ridiculous idea! ...and now they've realised that the Wii is more popular than the Xbox or PS3 (casual gamers or no, you can't deny this) they've made their own. So much for saying a hardcore fanbase is all you need!

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
To be fair, how the Move was presented obviously was still with hardcore style games in mind. It is extremely similar to the Wii, but its not cheap.

Theodore Bruno

ADORABLOODTHIRSTY
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2011
The Kinect and the Move amuse me so much. Microsoft and Sony spent ages ragging on Nintendo because lol a Wii what a ridiculous idea! ...and now they've realised that the Wii is more popular than the Xbox or PS3 (casual gamers or no, you can't deny this) they've made their own. So much for saying a hardcore fanbase is all you need!
Best part is. Now that PS3 and 360 gone casual, it seems Nintendo stepped it up a bit and will be releasing more "hardcore" games. Perhaps they planned this in the beginning.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I don't like the idea of Kinect. Or the name.

I agree with Sony--you need buttons or some kind of tactile way to input controls. Or you need something to hold while you pretend to do something. The PS Move might be a very blatant rip-off of a Nintendo Wii remote & nunchuk but at least it makes sense. I may not need two controllers to pretend I'm holding a bow and arrow, but if I'm pretending to shoot a bow and arrow at a target in a video game... I might as well go outside and pretend to do it. :/

I dunno, I'd just feel a lot more ridiculous flailing around in my living room without a controller to at least signal to other people in the house that I swear I'm not totally crazy but it just doesn't sound as natural as Microsoft is toting. It's just not clicking with me and I haven't seen a reason to buy it.

Though I admit there are some games I wouldn't mind trying out on Kinect. Katamari is a big one, especially since I know it's doable as it was a basic tech demo last year. :O But the one game, even if it were announced, isn't enough to make me want to spend $150 or whatever it is for the upgrade.
Best part is. Now that PS3 and 360 gone casual, it seems Nintendo stepped it up a bit and will be releasing more "hardcore" games. Perhaps they planned this in the beginning.
I think it's moreso that Nintendo doesn't have to show off their motion control anymore because they've been using the tech for years. :/ It's not new and they know that even the casuals would be bored if that was all they had to offer.

(Though I won't deny that Nintendo probably pulled in a lineup of all-star games in order to one-up the competition who had really, really boring presentations. XD)

Years
I don't like the idea of having no controller what so ever. I like being able to not move when playing a game.

Although controlling your menu with your hands is cool, it is just gimmick and doesn't interest me at all. :/

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I'm a bit surprised so many people are hating on it. I found it to be rather amazing. All the stuff they showed us without the use of a controller, I think it's awesome.

At first I'll admit that I wasn't too fond of the idea, nor was I excited. It's true that the idea of not having a controller is odd and uncomfortable. After seeing the footage at E3 though, something grabbed a hold of me. I loved pretty much everything they showed that was related to Kinect.

That being said, I can't picture myself playing a shooter, or something like Assassin's Creed on it. It almost seems like its more geared towards movies and social network aspects than it is gaming.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Natal seems annoying. It just feels more natural using buttons or grasping something instead of trying to be a shadow boxer the whole time. I can't ignore that $150 is pretty expensive and Move is only $50 or $100 if you don't have the camera.

No, Sony still realized that they need to appeal to the hardcore gamers as well. That's why SOCOM 4 and Killzone 3 will come with full Move support. They'll probably come with much more hardcore games for Move.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Move is more expensive in the longrun. :/ A full controller (both main wand and the nunchuk-wannabe) is... what, $80? Plus say the one-time camera is $30 at least and you're dropping $110.

And if you want to play a two-player game or something? Another full controller set and you're nearing $200. At least Kinect would only be the one-time $150.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
I think it's a great way to attract casual gamers, but the price is counterintuitive in this sense. Assuming said person doesn't have an XBOX 360, why would they buy a 360 and the Kinect when the can get the Wii for a cheaper price? Not only that, but I believe the Wii's library of games for the casual gamer completely blows Microsoft's out of the water. I honestly don't think anyone is going to go buy a 360 just to play Kinect games; the Kinect seems more or less aimed at people who already have the system. But from what I've gathered the most popular XBOX games are FPS, and other types of games where button controls simply cannot be done away with.... Same goes for Sony's Move. Who in their right mind would buy these expensive systems in favor of the Wii?

Ah, it would make a great Christmas gift, though. I suppose for the parents of an 8 year old casual gamer and a teen-aged hardcore gamer, this could be the perfect system for them. It'd also be a great system for the all-around gamer who plays casually and seriously. *Scratches head.* But still, $150 bucks? I'd rather pay the extra $50 for a Wii! Maybe I'm just biased.

Sucks for Sony. :/ <--- ETA: lol, I mean t to take that out of my message but I forgot. To explain, I think Sony is just way too expensive and, dare I say it? ...Unoriginal.

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Move is more expensive in the longrun. :/ A full controller (both main wand and the nunchuk-wannabe) is... what, $80? Plus say the one-time camera is $30 at least and you're dropping $110.

And if you want to play a two-player game or something? Another full controller set and you're nearing $200. At least Kinect would only be the one-time $150.

But Kinect still can't be used for any real games, like the only genre keeping the 360 around, FPS. It has no potential for any real game. The move does, and it seems to be targeted at that exact goal.

mehappy

The Happiest Him
Years
Just videotape yourself playing with the Kinect and then watch it.
You'll see my point of HOW RIDICULOUS YOU LOOK using it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think it's ridiculous. I wouldn't wanna dance around the play room (where my 360 is) because of Kinect. Like Lightning said, at least with the Wiimote, people will know you're playing a game. With Kinect, they'd just think you're being a complete idiot dancing and waving around. Another point I'd like to make is that when I play a game, I want to have a controller in hand. I want a good ole A button. There is no A button on my body, so Kinect, consider yourself crap.

Can't wait for AVGN to review this in 20 years! 8D

Agent Clank

Bye PC
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2011
I think its Impressive how good of tech Microsoft has but I dont think I would buy Kinect.
I like sitting down and playing video games with a PS3 or Xbox 360 controller rather then Standing up and Playing with a Wii remote,Kinect or Playstation Move.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023

Because of that though, everyone has to share with only one camera. Natal can't remember voices so anyone can just troll you by saying "Xbox-STOP" when you're watching a movie. It seems that Microsoft is mimicking Apple with their war on buttons.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
Here is a really good read on Kinect. Admittedly I was never very keen on the idea of not having a controller or something to hold, but apparently it can work alongside a controller which is great. The guy made it seem like he preferred Kinect over the Move or the Wii which is surprising for me to hear.

Back