• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The charm of the Shiny Charm

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Hey everyone, I am aware that there already is a thread regarding Masuda Method shinies and that some people on Smogon are trying this out too, but Im really interested in trying out the Shiny Charm in combination with the Masuda Method, Horde Battling, Chain Fishing, Pokeradar, Friend Safari and random encounters.

So, I would like to know what luck you guys ran into since you obtained the Shiny Charm? Do you experience any more luck or more frequent shinies in the methods listed above?

Im really curious and would like to know what everyone's progress is now ;) It would be fun to see if the Shiny Charm does make a difference and what the effects are :)

For example, I set a goal for myself to start breeding for a new shiny using Masuda Method ofcourse since I obtained the Charm. I posted this in several other threads in here too, but after only 7 eggs I hatched my shiny Amaura ! :)

So now I wonder if this really does make a difference and if this would also take effect on for example the Pokeradar or Random Encounters. Would be nice to test it out on these different obtaining methods to see what happens!

Im now breeding for a shiny Charmander but will do something with the Pokeradar too really soon to test some things out! :)

So please let me know what your experiences are since you obtained the Shiny Charm! ;)

Reactions: Sun

codem8kr

Team Rocket Boss....
Years
Well I feel that the shiny charm works best with the Masuda Method over random pokemon encounters.

Combining MM and the Shiny charm has enabled me to hatch these pokemon as shiny:
Furfrou (100 eggs)
Snivy (100+ eggs)
Kangaskhan (49 eggs)
Eevee (137 eggs)
Shuppet (78 eggs)
Froakie (140 eggs)
Pichu (30 eggs)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
Before Shiny Charm:
Hoard shiny: Hoppip, Arron and Psyduck.
Friend safari: Krabby, Palpitoad, Masqurain (Fainted it...) and Bravary first form.
Masuda: Froakie, Bulbasaur, Fennekin, Vulpix, Spritzee, Marill, Swinub and Aipom.

WITH Shiny Charm:
Hoard: Wingull and Ice cream thing
FS: tranquil
Masuda: after 2000+ eggs, Charmander. That's it.

I regret getting the shiny charm. Since getting it I have put more time into both methods but get less results!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
Shiny Charm definitely seems to work well in FS. I got both a shiny Dunsparce and also a shiny Ditto within only 45 minutes. I also got an Aipom the next day.

Haven't got any MM yet with it though. Almost 300 eggs and no shiny Mawile yet. It only took me 146 to get my shiny Scatterbug WITHOUT the shiny charm.

At first I was thinking it worked with chain fishing, but now I'm not so sure. When I first tried it out I got my first shiny in only 5 hooks! then I got another in about 20. But since then I haven't got any and have had several chains over 100+.

Years
The only shiny i've obtained since getting the Shiny Charm is a Noibat that I MM'd, but that's it. Although that can partly be owed to the fact that I haven't really been paying X much attention lately. :/

Funnily enough, I got two shinies in a Friend Safari the same night back in January before I got it.

Elements1

Meh
Years
Got 1 MM shiny, Magikarp in about 150 eggs, that being said I went for a MM Turtwig and I got to about 200 before I got one here ^^ I ran into two geodudes from hordes, both fainting from their horde "friends".

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
I've had more luck without the charm. My MM projects are taking me much longer than before I had it. I just breed a shiny scatterbug on my game without it, only took me about 350ish eggs. Last shiny i got on my game with it was about 1000ish. l:
I haven't tried any other methods than MM though.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Within like 10 days of getting the shiny charm, I hatched a shiny without Masuda Method. I didn't expect it at all and I was glad it happened the way it did, as I've been breeding Pokemon since Emerald with no luck. :D

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2020
Within like 10 days of getting the shiny charm, I hatched a shiny without Masuda Method. I didn't expect it at all and I was glad it happened the way it did, as I've been breeding Pokemon since Emerald with no luck. :D

Sounds like you were overdue for a shiny with or without the shiny charm anyway. xD

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
The luckiest shiny I got since I got my shiny charm was a Shiny honedge I received from breeding with a Wide Guard. The parents weren't foreign to each other and are owned by me so the shiny really surprised me. It had max on Defense and SpDefense and outstanding overall. Other shinies I got was a Larvesta, Braixen and Ninetales from the Friend Safari. I encountered a shiny Braixen twice(probably heard me rant about losing the first one back at "Your Generation 6 Shiny Pokemon") and only some 6-7 Hours between both their encounters with no other Shinies in between.

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
I have gotten 3 since getting the charm but haven't hunted as often. I believe it works better, although I found 17 without the charm but had more free time there. As for masuda I will be trying it out soon with the continuation of my mawhile hunt. I hope it reduces the time for that as the 3 shinys I found were all in under an hour of hunting.

She_Delphox

Years
So far, that's awesome everyone! :) To keep you guys updated, yesterday evening I hatched a Shiny Charmander (female) on 'just' my 532th Egg! :3 Since I don't spend much time on hunting hordes or anything else like the Friend Safari (will do that later), I haven't had any experiences with those except for breeding just now. The mother was holding an Everstone (first time I tried this), so my Shiny Charmander has a Brave nature now, which I wanted :) Ofcourse you still need some luck, I read things about people WITH the charm hatching over thousands of Eggs to get their shiny ... :S (hang in there!) But I got lucky it didn't take me to that level.

It is my second Masuda Method shiny since I obtained the charm which leaves me now with:
1. Amaura - 7 Eggs
2. Charmander - 532 Eggs
3. ---> next project: possibly Squirtle ;)

I have obviously more shinies, before obtaining the charm and not only from the Masuda Method, but now I'm really going for the Masuda Method, almost 80% of my playtime so I'll have more shinies I really want, using MM :) May start with a new MM soon! (I think Squirtle)

Will keep you guys updated! :3

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
Years
I don't like the idea of the shiny charm. Why would I want to sacrifice the place of an Everstone--or even worse, a Destiny Knot--in favor of that thing?

Years
I don't like the idea of the shiny charm. Why would I want to sacrifice the place of an Everstone--or even worse, a Destiny Knot--in favor of that thing?

All you have to do it is keep it in the key items, it's not a held item.

As for me, I've gotten 0 shinies with the charm so I guess there's no charm in it for me.

She_Delphox

Years
Oh? I thought it was a hold item for breeding. Thats MUCH better! Shame there's no chance of me completing the pokedex though, with how massive it is now.

Yes, that it true luckily, like said earlier by Aeroblast :)

And, I get your concerns filling up the Pokedex in Gen.6 because that takes A LOT of your time, and I mean, really a lot... I didn't even want to complete the Pokedex first because it just sounded like too much of a hassle (especially the legendaries), but I managed to find a way and spend a few weeks to obtain as many Pokemon in my spare time as possible ;)

Glad I did all this hard work, 'cause for me, it really paid off and it was totally woth it! :)

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jun 20, 2015
But how do you get Latios and Latias, and Zekrom... etc... in 6th gen? When you say 6th gen, that means not having that pokeball symbol but the hexagon, right?

James

Make it double!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 31, 2017
Combining the shiny charm and the Horde's has been my #1 shiny producer. I have been able to obtain several shiny's in a day because of the huge bonus the charm give to the shiny rate and then basically dividing that by 5 when you fight a horde. Ive found several Nosepass, Flaffys, and electrikes merely by using sweetscent and letting them come to me.

Oh? I thought it was a hold item for breeding. Thats MUCH better! Shame there's no chance of me completing the pokedex though, with how massive it is now.

I wouldnt say that. I was able to obtain 1 of all 718 in the pokedex AND i have them in order from bulbasar to Zygarde in my boxes. I was even able to complete it before the Pokebank had come out in the US the vast majority of those pokemon are from all over the world.

Years
All I've found was a shiny Foongus after three hours of non-stop horde battles. Other than that I've had absolutely nothing; was easier to find shinies prior to getting the charm even. Oh my bad, bad luck.

Back