• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Imperial Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I don't want to sound rude nor offend you but, why do you use the B&W style? Why everyone uses it? I mean, when DP were released, the fan games turned into DP style, when HGSS were relased, EVERYTHING became HGSS style. Now, when someone is making a game, B&W come out and you change your graphical style?

I say this because of the Battle screenies: your pokémon is pixelated.

Whatever, I like your work, forget about what I said.

Well it's not uncommon for Game Developers to want their game's graphics to be as recent as possible, so that it doesn't have the feel of an "old game". Personal preference does come into play, too, some people actually like BW's style while others prefer HGSS.

On to the actual game, everything is looking nice, but in all honesty, some of the graphics just don't have the 'Pokemon feel' to them. In the beginning of the trailer, the grass palletes look far brighter than any that would appear in a Pokemon game, the trees in the scene where you choose Chamelica look very 'non-pokemon' as well; the spritework is excellent, but the palletes and overall height make it look somewhat alien.

Some of the sprites, such as Tentamar and Mossachusett are quite large, much larger than even those of legendary Pokemon and Pokemon that are commonly depicted as being large, not to mention the overworlds are much bigger than even those of B/W. Finally, the overworlds at the end are just huge, too big for any game, really, I'm fully aware that legendary Pokemon are suposed to appear intimidating and whatnot, but I think decreasing their height a bit might help them look a little more feasible in this game.

It seems like you guys are going for a new style here, and you obviously have the capacity to do it, but it's straying a bit too far from Pokemon, in my eyes, at least. I hope that wasn't too harsh, either way, good luck with the game.

Last edited:

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
On to the actual game, everything is looking nice, but in all honesty, some of the graphics just don't have the 'Pokemon feel' to them. In the beginning of the trailer, the grass palletes look far brighter than any that would appear in a Pokemon game, the trees in the scene where you choose Chamelica look very 'non-pokemon' as well; the spritework is excellent, but the palletes and overall height make it look somewhat alien.

There are a few things in there that we will be changing. I am not very fond of those trees, either. They don't fit the style of the game. However, I think the grass is fine the way it is. No one has ever really mentioned that, so i don't see it as a problem. And if I remember correctly...BW grass was even brighter?

Some of the sprites, such as Tetramar and Mosachuset are quite large, much larger than even those of legendary Pokemon and Pokemon that are commonly depicted as being large, not to mention the overworlds are much bigger than even those of B/W. Finally, the overworlds at the end are just huge, too big for any game, really, I'm fully aware that legendary Pokemon are suposed to appear intimidating and whatnot, but I think decreasing their height a bit might help them look a little more feasible in this game.

We are going for a completely new style for our game. It is not HGSS and it is not BW. It is our own style. The overworlds are bigger, as is the game screen. The sprite dimensions will also be bigger, however, the sprites will be very proportional to each other. Our dimensions are 115x115. The overworlds are not TOO big. They are the size they are and are very proportionate to the tiles in-game.

It seems like you guys are going for a new style here, and you obviously have the capacity to do it, but it's straying a bit too far from Pokemon, in my eyes, at least. I hope that wasn't too harsh, either way, good luck with the game.

I don't think it is straying from the style of Pokemon, though. I think it is just a "new-gen" sort of feel. People thought BW wasn't Pokemon enough, and yet, it is an official game.

Last edited:

Master-Pixel

Fakemon Artist
Years
So this is what became of Helio, eh?
Looks aesthetically stunning; Game Freak should take a leaf out of your book; for the style that's been used :D

The Unova style map looks cool also :D
For some reason though; Salavern (Chamelica's Evo) reminds me of a Yoshi?!
Anyway good work :D

PaulUrchin

Imma Spriter wanna be... meh.
Years
hey hey! nice re-boot! Everything is well made and saturated in epicness!

I don't know if you remember me, but I was the guy who kept moaning about the backsprite's trollface. I can't help but notice he still making one...

Aside from that, you guys have continued to a superb job. Keep at it!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
The only thing that bothers me in the video is the pixelated back sprites, everything else is top stuff.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
Hey guys--

ALSO WE COMPLETELY OVERHAULED THE MAIN POST. PLEASE CHECK THAT OUT!! :))))

And happy new year, guys! 2012's going to be a big year for Imperial Sky!

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'm a big fan of this project. I'm always checking it out and have been stalking it here since I came back. I was waiting for an update before I commented here lol.

First - I enjoyed the video. I hope you do more of them. I liked how well you (was that you?) spoke and the editing in of the game clips and so on.
It's good to see you excited about finally doing the events.

The first post looks a lot better now. Very attractive and because of it's updated images, I was kept reading it and didn't get bored reading all the text (since there wasn't too much). I commented on the trailer before (on DA) - but I'll say it again - I think whoever edited it did a good job on it!

Just want to say "good luck" to the team ;-)

aquakip

Years
I'm just here to inform you about the updated first post (in case you didn't notice it). And for those who enjoy some graphics in an update, here are screenshots of the game!

iaza11265059718400.png

I hope you like them! Please comment!

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Nice graphics but i think the trees look horrible ..

Perhaps explaining WHICH trees(there are trees in 6 pictures you know?), and more importantly WHY they look bad would help a lot more.

Personally I don't see a single thing about them thats different from hg/ss or other tiler's tiles. I myself don't care for how strong the shadow is, but thats all I could see to complain about.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
Well they look like some exact 2d versions of the BW trees, which i didnt like also..
And i mean all trees..
They just look horrific .. no offense.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Well they look like some exact 2d versions of the BW trees, which i didnt like also..
And i mean all trees..
They just look horrific .. no offense.

Hey, you don't have to say no offense. I was asking because I wanted to know how we might make an apsect of the game better.

With that said, I myself am not a fan of the B/W style tiles either, but thats the direction our artist has decided to take it, AND evolve from, so I think the problem may be since trees are obviously one of the first things you make, it may not blend in with the rest of the newer tiles.

Personally, I see the trees getting better with the newer pictures, so its possible you will see the tiles revamped once again down the road.

Thanks for your imput.

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

I love the 5th gen feel to this game, and the quality of the fakemon are fantastic. I do have a complain about Harouns sprite though... it looks really awkward haha. I think the shirt is far to large and baggy? Or his head is to small haha.

Anyway, I love custom work you guys are putting into this as well, it's turning out beautiful!

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
I love the 5th gen feel to this game, and the quality of the fakemon are fantastic. I do have a complain about Harouns sprite though... it looks really awkward haha. I think the shirt is far to large and baggy? Or his head is to small haha.

His shirt is supposed to be large and baggy, to add character though, though maybe its not the character people would like to see?

Anyway, I love custom work you guys are putting into this as well, it's turning out beautiful!

I agree whole-heartedly. I myself love custom work and have been trying to change quite a lot of things just for a fresh feeling. Though the most work you'll be seeing should be credited to aquakip, he does an outstanding job with the sprites and tiles he does.

Here is my first promotional poster for the game. Be mindful that I made this before and I have been advised its a little too crowded(which I understand). As well, I'm not entirely sure the date is correct.

Cupolaposter.png
Cupolaturntable.gif

Cupola is the steel type, and has a very interesting quirk about it, that you may or may not see in the demo.(just more reason to play the demo I suppose).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2012
Starters Evolutions?

I know that Kittorch evolves into Felayme, and then Flamane, but what do Fernling and Bubull evolve into?

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
I know that Kittorch evolves into Felayme, and then Flamane, but what do Fernling and Bubull evolve into?

As the starters were recently changed, the final forms of the starters are not yet complete. In addition, kittorch's evos are going to be remade/renamed.

While the sprites of them are under wraps currently, I can tell you...

Fernling ---->Volpant --->?
Kittorch ---->Arsoline --->?
Bubull ---->Hipotus --->?

But the demo isn't too far off, so stick with us and it shouldn't be too long before you can play as them yourself! Thanks for the interest in the game. :)

aquakip

Years
It's time for another update for Pokemon Imperial Sky!

---​

To begin, I'd like to say that the demo is going smoothly. We've come up with some new features for the game that will make it a bit more aesthetically pleasing. Not to say they deserve much purpose in the overall game, but it does make it look nicer. You might direct your eyes below, at the screenshots, and see that your Starter will now be following you. Only your starter, though, as to form a closer bond to the Pokemon. I think it looks rather nice, and so does the rest of the team!

---​

On that note, that brings me to the next update! The Pokemon: Imperial Sky Team has changed/updated! We have more people working on the game, and more people doing other things. We're slowly learning of everyone's new and exciting talents!

Starrmyt - Project Leader, Eventer
Aquakip - Co-project Leader, Mapper, Spriter, Tiler, Eventer, Overworld Artist
Rickyboy - Sound-making (cries), Occasional Fakemon Designer, Attack Animations
Flame-Koala - Stats, Movesets
WesleyFG - Buidling Tiler
Dementiondragoon - Occasional Fakemon Designer
Bards Sword - Story/Dialogue Writer

---​

Next, we have an update on graphics. If you look at the first post, you might see that the trees have been changed. We have gone for a more unique style, and I think it fits better with the essence of the game. It looks smoother and fluffier, and easier on the eyes, rather than the harsh and spiky tree we had before, that seemed to be a knock-off of the B/W tree. We have also thrown in some more dramatic biomes than you may have seen before.

iaza11265068937700.png

---

And thus the update ends. c:​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back