• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Alomomola] vs Basculin

Who do you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Black and White Weekly Poll: Alomomola vs Basculin

594Alomomola_Dream.png
550Basculin_Red_Stripe_Form_Dream.png

The two fish Pokemon with not that much special about them!
Who do you pick? Discuss!

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
Eh I said I wouldn't post my reason but what the hey.

Also going with Basculin 'cause of what Drakow said and 'cause Alomomola isn't really that good unless in a double or triple battle ^^; Also it isn't everywhere like Audino thus making it inferior even to that o3o

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Basculin HANDS DOWN. I don't like Alomomola, I don't like the name (Girafarig was cool being the only palindrome), and I also don't understand why this is just essentially a Luvdisc evo. Basculin looks p cool for a 5th gen pokemon fish, and I like the fact that he has two forms. He has some potential for a shark/piranha like evo too.

AND adding a friend's opinion here!!

(18:03:02) Laws 1: say that they both suck and I'd rather use specs mantyke
I am very tempted to agree!

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Basculin to me seems more orginial in design the Alomomola who seems to be Luvdisc 2.0. The name Alomomola is -_- quite a mouth full. I liked the two form difference with Basculin like Shellos. For future games I really hope they expand on Basculin seems it seems like it could have branch evos and stats are lackluster.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
ihatealomomolabecauseitdoesn'tevolveintoluvdiscalthoughitlooksmorelikeanevolutionthanoctillerydoestoremoraid.

The choices are pretty poor, to be honest. No, not the Pokemon chosen and how they relate to each other. I can understand that. Just how useful they are. I'd rather use Generation V water-type Pokemon like Carracosta or a personal favourite of mine, Jellicent. Both aren't really outstanding. Anyway, Basculin at least has the edge due to having two forms and being more unique (although it's still a Carvahna rip-off.) Alomomola would actually win it for me, had it evolved from Luvdisc. It is probably the most obvious evolution, but since it doesn't evolve from Luvdisc, it just annoys me. :S

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I voted Alomomola(lomomolalomomola).

When B/W was first introduced, I quite liked its design. Even though I was disappointed by the fact that it isn't related to Luvdisc, I still like it better than Basculin. Also I love how big the Wishes it gives off are.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Palindromes rock, so Alomomola gets my vote easily. If Basculin had anything resembling a palindromic name, I'd vote for it in a heartbeat; it doesn't, so I didn't vote for it.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Basculin i think is a better design and a better pokemon id much rather have basculin in my team than i would Alomomola

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
Years
Basculin
Only for personal reasons though. When I saw Alomomola, I was like "omg liek now they're maiking useless pogeymans useful through much needed evolutions!"
And then it turns out that Alomomola is still somewhat useful, Luvdisc will always be useless.

That and Basculin is my preferred surfing/waterfalling/diving/cutting HM Slave >:D

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I don't like the name (Girafarig was cool being the only palindrome),

Ho-Oh is a palindrome and was introduced in the same generation as Girafarig, and Eevee, also a palidrome, predates Girafirag.

Anyway, I voted Alomomola because it's a feminine pokemon because Basculin is, quite frankly, a stupid pokemon. It's not original in any way. It's like Magikarp, but without the mythology that it had (that a carp that climbs a waterfall becomes a dragon). It's also like Carvanah, but without a nice evolution. And I personally don't like piranhas anway. :K

Alomomola, on the other hand, is based on a sunfish, possibly one of my favorite fish species. And you may be thinking, "Hyopcrite, but you just bashed Basculin for being unimaginative, yet Alomomola is a Luvdisc-wannabe!" Well, I think differently. Alomomola is an improvement of Luvdisc (I will always hate Gamefreak for not making it a Luvdisc evo) while Basculin is a crappier version of other pokemon.

So, I think Alomomola is AWESOME.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Basculin, because its stats are oriented towards offense, and I'm more of an offensive player. What I don't get is why Almomola doesn't evolve from Luvdisc (which is one of the reasons why I don't like Alomomola so much).

Years
I have both forms of Basculin as well as an Alomomola in Black, all of them female.

I caught one of my Basculin in a Quick Ball, the other in a Dusk Ball. My Alomomola was also caught in a Dusk Ball.

I like Alomomola's design better plus it's pink (a sign of feminine Pokemon) and helps your team out in Double/Triple Battles.

And yes guys, you can catch both Red-stripe and Blue-stripe Basculin in the same Black or White game, so trading isn't needed to obtain both forms. It's just that one form is found normally while the other is found in rippling water.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Blue Striped Basculin for sure!

However, I do LOVE Alomomola's name. It's awesome, and I like the blue striped Basculin best. The red striped Basculin, like the one in the main first post, however, I do not like

I'd choose Alomomola over that one. So it's an even 50/50 vote for me here.....but picking Basculin for this one

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I'm choosing Alomomola because it's shaped like a heart and has a palindrome name.

Back