• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen Lugia or Ho-Oh?

Lugia or Ho-Oh?

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
I have to go with Ho-oh. Gold was the first game I had, and I've played it countless times so Ho-oh has always been a part of my team. And it's sprite is gorgeous.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2013
Lugia. No competition. It looks so magistic and I loved its role in pokemon 2000 or whatever that was called xD
Ho-oh just seems like a copy of moltress to me :\
Plus I caught luging with my first dusk ball ^^

Shaf

Lonely MadNooB Trainer
Years
I prefer Ho-OH cuz my first game was Pokemon Gold :P and I always prefer Fire types cuz these are quite awesome.... :D

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
Would say Lugia for nostalgia, but i recently bought and played through Heartgold and i was impressed by Ho-oh having never before used one in 10+ years of playing pokemon

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
It's kind of a mix for me, hard to pick one. Lugia has been my companion since Silver, and SS as well, it's one of my favorites. I like the typing on this pokemon as well, but I might have originally liked this pokemon because it looked like a water type, one of my favorite types back then. I remember watching the anime and Lugia's few appearances. It always seemed so angry, and I remember yelling at the TV for Lugia to stop raging at the good people rather than the bad.

As for Ho-oh, I like Lugia's design and typing better, as Ho-oh's seems kind of messed up, but my vote goes to Ho-oh, simply because of its appearances in the anime, particularly the first. I remember watching that episode, and Ho-oh seemed really cool to me, flying over all gold and sparkly. So yeah, Ho-oh gets my vote for this.

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
I've always had some sort of troubles on deciding which one is my favourite. They're not like the other pair of legendaries, which I can pick one easily and without a second thought.

I like both designs and maybe what it could disappoint me a bit it's the type combination of Lugia, but it's actually no problem, I still like it.

Since I always like to answer what it's asked in threads like this, I will go with Ho-oh for one only reason: maybe the storyline fits a lot more with Ho-oh rather than with Lugia. It seems like they made Ho-oh first and thought everything about what its storyline could be, and then came Lugia and they made something up very quickly - because I don't know what you think but, it's really weird to see the Kimono girls in the deepest of an island summoning a monster of the sea (at least it sounds weirder than the Kimono girls in the top of a tower summoning a bird of the sky.)

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
Lugia <3

It's so beautiful and aquatic and can fly at the same time. It's perfect for me, who likes water and air, and it also has a combo with it's psychic typing so it's it all the way in.

Ho-oh is pretty too!

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2013
I prefer ho-oh... because it's move set is more convenient than Lugia's... Besides.. I play heart gold...

Mintyy

Minty~
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 4, 2019
I love polls <3

I like Lugia because I started out with Silver first, so I might be a bit bias :P But being a Psychic/Flying type that can learn Water attacks, it sure comes in handy if the two were going to battle it out :D

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I like Lugia and Ho-Oh a lot. Ho-Oh is one of my favorite Pokemon, but Lugia is my number 1 favorite. So I choose Lugia! :D

People are presenting some good arguments! I have a few questions though :3. Why is Lugia your number 1 favourite Pokemon? Is its design appealing to you, just a badass Pokemon in general, typing, it's role in a movie? What makes Lugia your favourite <3? If you don't mind me asking :3, however if you prefer not to answer that's perfectly and always fine! And also what do you like about Ho-oh too make it one of your favourites? <3.

I've always had some sort of troubles on deciding which one is my favourite. They're not like the other pair of legendaries, which I can pick one easily and without a second thought.

I like both designs and maybe what it could disappoint me a bit it's the type combination of Lugia, but it's actually no problem, I still like it.

Since I always like to answer what it's asked in threads like this, I will go with Ho-oh for one only reason: maybe the storyline fits a lot more with Ho-oh rather than with Lugia. It seems like they made Ho-oh first and thought everything about what its storyline could be, and then came Lugia and they made something up very quickly - because I don't know what you think but, it's really weird to see the Kimono girls in the deepest of an island summoning a monster of the sea (at least it sounds weirder than the Kimono girls in the top of a tower summoning a bird of the sky.)

This I agree with :3! I've always found it easy picking out a favourite legendary out of a duo or trio, but for Ho-oh and Lugia it's a completely different case. I find it mind numbingly hard sometimes to choose and my mind often can't make up, I love both of their designs! Ho-oh being the beautiful colours of the Rainbow and its storyline I have to agree makes much more sense, the Kimono Girls look like they more fit into Ho-oh's plot honestly. A tower and Kimono Girls makes much more sense then them deep in an island...what would they be doing there?

Although I love Lugia, but sometimes I honestly believe it should be Water/Flying, Ho-oh just makes more sense to me and I love its design much more, so Ho-oh was always my favourite too <3.

pokefangames

Sinor Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2013
I would have to say Ho-Oh is my fav of the 2. even though I only have Soul Silver and a working copy of Silver ._.

Ryusu

Pokétopia Master
Years
I think Ho-Oh has a better design but I love Lugia. Probably the main reason I watched Pokemon 2000 about a million of times as a kid.

satotaku

Generation 1's last hope
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Lugia. THE coolest legend of any Pokemon movie aside from Mewtwo.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
In terms of design and battles, Lugia is more superior in my opinion. Ho-Oh is pretty much a useless Pokemon when you're battling competitively due to Stealth Rock removing half of it's HP as soon as it comes into the battle. Lugia's the best Defensive Pokemon in the game. No attack can 1-Hit KO it. As for Ho-Oh, 1 Stone Edge from the right Pokemon(even if Ho-Oh is at full health) can KO it.

Years
Lugia was part of the reason why I chose to play Soul Silver, I still remember the Pokemon movie featuring Lugia that I saw when I was a kid.I wish they'd make a movie about Ho-oh though.

Back