• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
This is amazing!

xdKyPa2.png

The only problem I've encountered is that when you battle your rival after Cerulean, it says his name is Blue instead of whatever name is given to him.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2014
I saved the link, but it won't run or anything. There is no software. I prefer something like a file that I can just install and it'll patch it for me - or even a command line for auto patching using the terminal.
I don't want to use WINE since I've read that it'll open my Linux to viruses, which I don't want, even if it won't harm my computer. That is one of the reasons why I switched to Linux.

ips for xp works perfectly fine under WINE for Linux. Tis what I use to patch, and I have no issues, unless I screw up. zophar dot net has the patcher there. Try that. I was able to play Beta 1.0 under it.

EDIT: And Linux doesn't get Viruses from WINE. Really don't know where you got that from. WINE was the first thing I installed under 11.04 LTS, and I have no viruses.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
ips for xp works perfectly fine under WINE for Linux. Tis what I use to patch, and I have no issues, unless I screw up. zophar dot net has the patcher there. Try that. I was able to play Beta 1.0 under it.

EDIT: And Linux doesn't get Viruses from WINE. Really don't know where you got that from. WINE was the first thing I installed under 11.04 LTS, and I have no viruses.

Just to clarify, WINE is run in a sort of sandbox. It can modify WINE system files, but not Linux system files. So if you did get a "virus", it'd only be available when running WINE and if that did occur you can create a new wineprefix.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
yeah most people are probably waiting for a full release/or only caring about XY
but this hack look very promising, would try it out

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2015
The game is great. I think draco bullet is nice. But the best idea was static hit: a physical electric type that doesn't come in mid-late game (thunder punch) or have recoil (wild charge). Please make one or two physical electric move like this so we wont have to rely on mediocre thunder punch or use at risk wild charge. And some special fighting type move too.

Years
Just to clarify, WINE is run in a sort of sandbox. It can modify WINE system files, but not Linux system files. So if you did get a "virus", it'd only be available when running WINE and if that did occur you can create a new wineprefix.
Ok, thank you for clearing it up. I've been reading so much into it, I should stop when I find an answer instead of over thinking these things. I will install WINE so I don't have to switch to a Windows computer every time I want to patch a ROM.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
So glad this is in the showcase now.

This is such a well polished and great hack. Kudos.
Absolutely matched my expectations and more. The S.S Anne
was a particular highlight.

I noticed a slight error. Really slight. When you or the
opponent disables a move it causes a line of hex to spout
off. I believe I know what the limiter is though.

Just go to D7E96. You should see a B1, just change that to
FF and you'll be good to go.

But yeah I absolutely love it. I'm playing through it a second
time with a second team I love it so much, very good pre-XY
hype game.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Spoilered because spoilery rant:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
So glad this is in the showcase now.

This is such a well polished and great hack. Kudos.
Absolutely matched my expectations and more. The S.S Anne
was a particular highlight.

I noticed a slight error. Really slight. When you or the
opponent disables a move it causes a line of hex to spout
off. I believe I know what the limiter is though.

Just go to D7E96. You should see a B1, just change that to
FF and you'll be good to go.

But yeah I absolutely love it. I'm playing through it a second
time with a second team I love it so much, very good pre-XY
hype game.
Thanks for your feedback, I'll fix that for 1.1.

u8kFZxW.png

So, when I said on IRC that your Misty's levels seemed high, this was before I knew she has goddamn Scald. I know you consider it unfair for me to compare your weird curve to anything in YAFRH, and I know you want this game to be "challenging", but I've had people flame me for putting Scald in the optional third gym- seriously reconsider putting it in the mandatory second gym, especially when it's on something much more aggressive than Ludicolo.
I still stand by what I said that YAFRH and DarkViolet are not comparable. DarkViolet has a lot more battles than FR, not to mention the Nugget Bridge is now mandatory before the 2nd Gym. This game is still a lot easier than some of Mother 3's bosses.

Also by the 2nd Gym, you have access to Pikachu (you can evolve your Pichu easily with a Luxury Ball and pseudo-infinte massages in Cerulean City), Magneton, Gloom/Bellossom, and freaking Sunflora.

Other things:

8l6zdSm.png

Copycat is not Mirror Move, it works quite differently.
I'm aware of that issue, unfortunately I don't have the right ASM knowledge right now, but hopefully by final release I can take care of it.

As64EtB.png

Pretty sure this is supposed to be a Rare Candy.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll fix it for the 1.1 release.

s1iDHD3.png
vYdmwvj.png

Your early game tweaks baffle me- it feels like instead of making the game less of a joke for Bulbasaur you just decided to screw over Charmander even harder. At least RBY had Ground-types in the gym, but those seem to have vanished in favor of yet more Geodude at annoyingly high levels.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. You have access to Double Kick Nidoran (which you even took a screenshot of), as well as Karate Chop/Low Kick Mankey, and Confusion Butterfree. I'm not putting Diglett's and Sandshrew's in Pewter Gym because I'm following more-modern established rules of only using the Gym's type in the Gym. I'm not going to hold your hand throughout the entire game like FR/LG does.

WZElroe.png

It gets even worse when you realize that instead of getting pushed back, Dragon Rage just got replaced with what is essentially Quick Attack...which is also a TM for some reason.
And does neutral damage to Rock types.
I'm considering giving back Charmander Metal Claw, however.

The rest of the game isn't that bad though, and it's all quite pretty...but it still feels very much like your typical FR reskin, which is kinda disappointing.
This is a game taking place in Kanto, you know... What else did you expect? If you were looking for a new game with new Gym Leaders and new evil team and a new region and such, then this game is not for you.
Thank you for playing it, and I appreciate your feedback. Comments in bold.

Last edited:

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I used Sunflora to beat Misty. Balance issues isn't really a problem for me as it was in the alpha. I started with Charmander and I'm doing well, although Charmeleon seems to be pretty weak even though he's in the same level group as everyone else. His defense seems pretty pathetic.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
This game is still a lot easier than some of Mother 3's bosses.
Also by the 2nd Gym, you have access to Pikachu (you can evolve your Pichu easily with a Luxury Ball and pseudo-infinte massages in Cerulean City), Magneton, Gloom/Bellossom, and freaking Sunflora.
I was under the impression that Mother 3 is balanced around the player having extremely precise parties as dictated by the plot, but I've never played the game so I could be wrong. Yes the gym may be easy if your team packs Bellossom/Sunflora/Weepinbell/Ivysaur, but that doesn't mean everyone wants to run many of those- while in a typical RPG it's fine to have a boss that you can't beat if you refuse to use certain items/equipment, in Pokemon it's kinda rude to have a boss that you can't beat if you don't use very specific mons.

With regards to that list of counters:

0 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 33-40 (45.83 - 55.55%) -- 68.75% chance to 2HKO (ignoring burn)
0 SpA Magneton Thundershock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 32-42 (41.55 - 54.54%) -- 11.33% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Magneton Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 32-38 (41.55 - 49.35%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(calcs are with both at level 27)

Not running calcs on Pikachu because it packs much less firepower than Magneton and has even less special bulk- both of them are also slower than Starmie by a good margin. You have a fair point about Grass-types, but this kind of design still does not sit well with me- I think most would rather the game focus more on battling than counter-teaming.

(also luxury balls *after* the forest is really unhelpful for pichu >_>)

My only objection to Scald is it being on Starmie, by the way- Poliwhirl with it is just annoying and Marill's Scald is pathetic. Starmie, on the other hand, cuts through hitpoints with it just as fast as attack stats. It's also faster than anything you can get at that point without overleveling, so any offensive answer has to assume that they're burned before attacking.

The game up to Misty so far has been fairly well-balanced outside of the gyms though- don't think I'm trying to bash it when I say it feels like a reskin, as it's still better than most custom region hacks. (I sure couldn't do a gripe LP about it, for starters). It just feels very much like a FireRed Enhanced style of hack, despite all the boasting in the OP about it explicitly not being that. If that's actually what you were going for, then it's pretty good.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I was under the impression that Mother 3 is balanced around the player having extremely precise parties as dictated by the plot, but I've never played the game so I could be wrong. Yes the gym may be easy if your team packs Bellossom/Sunflora/Weepinbell/Ivysaur, but that doesn't mean everyone wants to run many of those- while in a typical RPG it's fine to have a boss that you can't beat if you refuse to use certain items/equipment, in Pokemon it's kinda rude to have a boss that you can't beat if you don't use very specific mons.

With regards to that list of counters:

0 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 33-40 (45.83 - 55.55%) -- 68.75% chance to 2HKO (ignoring burn)
0 SpA Magneton Thundershock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 32-42 (41.55 - 54.54%) -- 11.33% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Magneton Spark vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 32-38 (41.55 - 49.35%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(calcs are with both at level 27)

Not running calcs on Pikachu because it packs much less firepower than Magneton and has even less special bulk- both of them are also slower than Starmie by a good margin. You have a fair point about Grass-types, but this kind of design still does not sit well with me- I think most would rather the game focus more on battling than counter-teaming.

(also luxury balls *after* the forest is really unhelpful for pichu >_>)

My only objection to Scald is it being on Starmie, by the way- Poliwhirl with it is just annoying and Marill's Scald is pathetic. Starmie, on the other hand, cuts through hitpoints with it just as fast as attack stats. It's also faster than anything you can get at that point without overleveling, so any offensive answer has to assume that they're burned before attacking.

The game up to Misty so far has been fairly well-balanced outside of the gyms though- don't think I'm trying to bash it when I say it feels like a reskin, as it's still better than most custom region hacks. (I sure couldn't do a gripe LP about it, for starters). It just feels very much like a FireRed Enhanced style of hack, despite all the boasting in the OP about it explicitly not being that. If that's actually what you were going for, then it's pretty good.

Either way, what's your point? We all know its a hack of Firered. You're merely trolling at this point.

timson733333

Woah.
Years
Either way, what's your point? We all know its a hack of Firered. You're merely trolling at this point.

I think what he's trying to say is not that the game is bad but that some things feel out of place and should be changed

and the current alpha still kind of feels like vanilla FR to him with some minor tweaks, which is not what was promised in the first post (though that's kinda to be expected though since it only runs up until two gyms, I'm sure we'll see a lot more changes as the game progresses)

also legitimate criticism about the game =/= trolling

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
removed for shortness
Believe me, I appreciate your feedback, as you do bring up legitimate points, and I'm actually quite honored that you said that you can't make a gripe LP about it (I love your gripe LP's, they're quite hilarious), but understand that unlike seemingly many other hackers, I'm not making this hack for the sole enjoyment of other people, I'm making this hack for myself to play when it's done, so I'm suiting the difficulty to how I feel it should be, and I'm fine with it. Personally, I don't use a team of 6 right away, I gradually build up a team as I progress through the game. By the 2nd Gym, I intended for players to use 3-4 Pokemon, and that's how I did all my testing. I don't recommend using a full team of 6 until say, around the 4th or 5th badge, as that's generally what I do in Pokemon games.

And I think it's safe for me to say that the difficulty is on-par with Challenge Mode Black 2/White 2, if you want a Pokemon game comparison. If it felt like your levels were too low during the early Gyms, consider using less Pokemon, since I didn't balance the levels in the early parts of the games under the notion that you have 6 Pokemon, I balanced it on the notion that you have 2-3 Pokemon (hence why Blue and Green/Red on the S.S. Anne use only 3 Pokemon). I balanced it so that if you use the intended amount of Pokemon at what point in the game, then the Gyms levels should only be +1 above yours. Heck, when I played through White 2 on Challenge Mode, I had to grind my entire team 3 levels for Drayden just to stand a chance.

Allow me to defend my statement about this game being different from FR (spoilered because long):
Spoiler:

For me, it feels like a different experience from FR, because I am re-scripting the entire game, with very few exceptions. If you open up AdvanceMap and take a look at all the maps that I haven't worked on, you'll notice that all the events have been deleted. Basically, I am doing the same amount of work that the average hacker would do on a new-region hack (and I can even argue that I've done more work than the average hacker, since the amount of music work on Beta 1 alone was over 35 different Sappy tracks (I'm not kidding, feel free to count them yourself), and how all 210 Pokemon that will appear have updated DS-Style sprites (all 210 of which are already completed as of Beta 1 and are in the ROM), all Trainer sprites use the DS-style art style).

From what I know, the average hacker gathers a team of people to handle stuff like graphics, music, and scripting.

This is how DarkViolet is handled:
*All scripting done by me
*All graphical work done by me (with a few exceptions for some Pokemon sprites that were made by contributions to the DS-Style 64x64 Sprite Project)
*All music work done by me (with the only exception being Giovanni's battle themes composed by giradialkia)
*All mapping done by me

Last edited:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
I didn't find anything about this while searching the thread, but there's a minor bug in Teleport's field usage. No matter which Pokemon Centre I use after Viridian City, it just keeps sending me back there. Not major, but it sort of defeats the purpose of the move.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I didn't find anything about this while searching the thread, but there's a minor bug in Teleport's field usage. No matter which Pokemon Centre I use after Viridian City, it just keeps sending me back there. Not major, but it sort of defeats the purpose of the move.
That's probably because I used JPAN's respawn routine...God dammit didn't know it would cause this.

But I know how to fix it easily, basically JPAN's respawn routine allows me to choose what map you'll respawn to and even what coordinates, so you don't have to set a new Pokemon Center flag at each Pokemon Center. I guess I'll just modify the scripts so that it will set the new flags then. It will be fixed by Beta 1.1.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I think what he's trying to say is not that the game is bad but that some things feel out of place and should be changed

and the current alpha still kind of feels like vanilla FR to him with some minor tweaks, which is not what was promised in the first post (though that's kinda to be expected though since it only runs up until two gyms, I'm sure we'll see a lot more changes as the game progresses)

also legitimate criticism about the game =/= trolling

This is where I get confused. In essence, it is Firered. However, it is not because it has a brand new story and many modifications and differences. To me, it felt like a new game, an actual remake of Red version. Firered is a remake too(a crappy one) so there should be no surprise that there are similarities. And even though they exist, I don't feel that I'm playing firered at all, I feel like I'm playing an actual remake, and even though that's not what the author fully envisioned, what he did invision is a game that is not firered. And to me, it's done a great deal of replicating that.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2015
How does mukrow evolve in this game? I tried moon stone and it didn't work.
Otherwise the game is great (charmander is quite weak without dragon rage, early flamethrower, metal claw and evolve at lv 36). But I think the Tm are too overpowered. Thunderbolt, Scald and X-Scissors after gym 3 and some pokemon can sweep the game with it: magneon, nidoking, stayu (soon to be starmie) and X-scissors mukrow that can kill an electric gym with faint attack.

Back