• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Sun Red Hack - Alolan Fire Red

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Pokemon -SUN RED- Patch
Vers. 1.4
Pokemon Sun Red Vers. 1.4 Download
An ALOLA NEW way to play Fire Red! Catch classic Gen I & II Pokemon as well as Gen VII Alolan Pokemon in Kanto in a unique take on the Fire Red formula.
I wanted to play around with Alolan Pokemon but also make them my own and perhaps even fix some smaller issues people seemed to have with their attributes. Hence the Pokemon SUN RED hack for Fire Red. Choose your starter of Litten, Rowlet or Popplio to be your Pokemon partner.

Like a lot of other hacks, almost every Pokemon can be caught from Gen I and II but I wanted to limit it to only those Gens so as not to pull attention away from the Classic Fire Red gameplay. Since you couldn't find many Hoenn Pokemon in the original Fire Red, I replaced all Hoenn with Alolan Pokemon.

Rather than make a completely new game or add every Pokemon, the experience of SUN RED was mostly to have a more intimate and diverse group of Pokemon that you can use throughout the game. This is not a difficulty hack or anything, it's just a fun new way to play Fire Red with the ability to use Alolan Pokemon, catch them, and freely switch between Alolan and Kanto forms (with the right item).

That being said there are quite a few changes to the standard Fire Red with a complete overhaul of almost every Pokemon. There are also over 400 new moves added with updated move effects as well. I wanted a lot of my favorite Pokemon to be more viable or have a cool signature move so movesets have been changed quite a bit. However, I still tried to keep things balanced as best I could, just to make it fun (there aren't really any brokenly powerful moves).

Minor type changes have been implemented and evolution methods have been changed for several Pokes including trade evolutions. A full list of changes can be read in the ChangeLog.
As for why Hoenn Pokemon were removed from this Hack, I have been making an Emerald Hack that is very similar to this though it only includes Sinnoh and Kalos Pokemon that will accompany the Hoenn Pokemon (So Gen IV, VI and III while Gen I and II are excluded. I chose those Pokes for the same reason as I chose Alolan Pokemon for this hack, I simply don't have a 3DS and do not plan on getting one so I can't play with X and Y Pokemon.​

Screenshot_20190523-144210_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190523-144237_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190523-165316_My+Boy%21.jpg

Working Version: The only Rom I could get everything to work on initially was the Pkmn FireRed v1.0 (Cleaned) version which was how the patch was made. After testing, 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba and Pokemon - FireRed Version (USA).gba seemed to work fine with the patch as well. However, I did have an issue with the patch on Pokemon - Fire Red Version (U) (V1.1).gba since it seems to have different offsets.

Known Bugs - So there are a few known bugs that I found while testing that I am not sure how to fix but are in no way game breaking. The only one that is kind of a pain is the Pokedex Glitch but that is only a very slight issue for the most part. If anyone knows how to address these, I would be more than happy to try and fix them.
Pokedex Glitch - So after any Gen I Pokemon is caught, the capture screen is glitchy, as well as when the area Pokedex is brought up. All other Pokedex entries are fine for all regions so you can still view the Pokedex entries.
New Move Glitch – When one of the new moves is Disabled then used, rather than saying the move is disabled, there is a weird encoding that appears in the text box until it is pressed out of.

-EVOLUTION GLITCH IS NOW FIXED THANKS TO FERALIGATRMASTER-
Evolution Level Glitch – A few of the Alolan region Pokemon have their level raised or lowered when they evolve. Mudbray for instance evolves at Level 30 but after evolving into Mudsdale, the level may be lower or higher than 30 for some reason. I have no idea why this is. Known Pokemon this affects: Mudbray, Charjabug, Crabrawler.

CHANGE LOG:
Additions:
-Physical/Special Split
-Over 400 new Attacks with new Move Effects
-Fairy added to replace ??? (Struggle is Normal type and Curse is Ghost type)
-Added Fire as a Fairy weakness. (Fairy is now weak to Fire, Poison, Steel)
-Ice now resists Dragon and Water
-Steel now Resists Fighting and Weak to Psychic (Punching Steel would break your fist, don't try to tell me that Fighting types bend steel, it's not the Muscle Type. Alakazam bends spoons with his mind. Psychics make more sense to bend steel with their power. Remember there is no spoon.)
-Day and Night Cycle Added

Starters:
Alola Starters: You now begin the game with the Alolan Starters to choose from. You can also receive the starters you did not choose as "In-Game Trades", using the Johto Pokemon that are gifted to you.
Johto Starters: You will encounter several aides of Professor Oak that gift you with a Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile.
Kanto Starters: You can trade for the Kanto starters at several of the "In-Game Trades" at the normal locations.

Screenshot_20190523-143917_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190523-143917_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190523-143953_My+Boy%21.jpg

In Game Trades:
Abra > Cosmog
Raichu > Zeraora
Horsea > Squirtle
Ditto > Type: Null
Cyndaquil > Litten
Growlithe > Charmander
Oddish > Bulbasaur
Chikorita > Rowlet
Totodile > Popplio

Event Encounters:
Legendary Johto Trio: Can now be encountered at specific location on the map.
Marshadow: Can be encountered in the Pokemon Tower after finishing the Mr. Fuji event.
Magearna: Can be encountered in Diglett's Cave at any time but is LVL 50.
Celebi: Can be encountered in Viridian Forest after receiving Surf.
Necrozma: Can be encountered in the Sevii Island caves where Moltres is. Must have Rock Smash ability.
Mew: Can be encountered after receiving the Mystic Ticket in the Sevii Islands after beating the Elite Four. The ticket can only be received on one of the Sevii Islands. After using the ticket in Vermillion City, you can find Mew.

Evolution Items:
Dawn Stone - Location: Fuschia City
-Use: Eevee > Espeon, Rockruff to Lycanday, Oricorio line to Pa'u Style (Oricoriu)
Dusk Stone - Location: Lavender Town
-Use: Evolve Misdreavus > Mismagius, Murkrow > Honchkrow, Gligar > Gliscor, Sneasel > Weavile, Eevee > Umbreon
Shiny Stone - Location: Vermillion City
-Use: Evolves Togetic to Togekiss, Dunsparce to Drampa
Ice Stone - Location: Celadon City
-Use: Evolve Alolan Vulpix into Alolan Ninetails, Alolan Sandshrew to Alolan Sandslash, Piloswine > Mamoswine
Trade Stone - Location: Cinnabar Island
-Use: Evolve Kadabra > Alakazam, Machoke > Machamp, Graveler > Golem, Haunter > Gengar, Poliwhirl > Politoed, Slowpoke > Slowking, Onix > Steelix, Scyther > Scizor, Seadra > Kingdra, Rhydon > Rhyperior
Form Changer - Location: Celadon City
-Use: Change Kanto Form to Alolan Form - Vulpix, Rattata, Sandslash, Exeggutor, Marowak, Grimer, Raichu, Geodude. (No Diglett because visually I think it didn't change much.) Also changes Mega Charizard Forms (Charagon > Charyvern)
Mega Stone - Location: Pokemon League
-Use: Evolve Venusaur > Venustar, Charizard > Charagon (Use Form Changer to change Charagon > Charyvern), Blastoise > Blastiking, Butterfree > Butterflow, Beedrill > Beedrillix, Pinsir > Panzer, Scizor > Swarmzor, Heracross > Heracrash, Gyarados > Gyaratros, Steelix > Ironix.
UP-GRADE2.0 – Location: Trade, Sevii Island Hideout
-Use: Evolve Porygon > Porygon2 and Porygon2 > PorygonZ
Type:Plate – Location: Pewter City
-Use: Change Sylvally type forms (detailed more below)

Evolution Changes:
-Use Water Stone on Pikachu to change into Surfing Pikachu (Alola Pikachu). Form Changer will change it back. Using a Thunder Stone on Surfing Pikachu will evolve it into Alolan Raichu.
-Electabuzz Magmar and Tangela evolve with Thunder, Fire and Leaf Stones respectively now
-Eevee evolves with Dusk Stone for Umbreon and Dawn Stone for Espeon
-Magneton evolves with a Thunderstone
-Lickitung evolves into Lickilicky through happiness
-Dunsparce now evolves into Drampa w/ a Shiny Stone.
-Yanma evolves into Yanmega at Lvl 36
-Azurill has been replaced by the Bounsweet line so don't breed Marills (Not sure what will happen)

Type:Null & Silvally
-Type:Null evolves into Silvally through Happiness
- Silvally changes forms using the Type:Plate item or into Dragon type at LVL 45.
- Silvally has 17 forms, one for each type (no Fairy). Use the Type: Plate to access the new types.
-The Type:Plate item begins changing Silvally's forms starting with Fighting type and moving down a sequence of all other types. An example is normal Silvally will evolve with the Type:Plate into Silvally:F (Fighting type) Continually using a Type:Plate will change to the next type in the sequence.
-The sequence of types is Fighting, Flying, Poison, Ground, Rock, Bug, Ghost, Steel, Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Ice, Dragon, Dark. (no Fariy)
-A Shiny Stone will skip a typing in the sequence.
-Lastly, each Silvally type can also evolve with the stone of the type it is weak to. For example, Silvally:I will evolve into SIlvally:F with a Fire Stone, (Ice is weak to Fire). The only types that can't evolve with this method are Silvally:E (Electric) and Silvally:K (Dark)

Screenshot_20190528-053927_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190604-122213_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190604-122535_My+Boy%21.jpg

Pokemon Changes: Detailed in the PokemonSUNRED_Pokemon file
-Azurill has been replaced by the Bounsweet line so don't breed Marills (Not sure what will happen, you may get a Bounsweet)
-Stantler has been replaced to make room for other Pokemon (I have never cared for Stantler and don't see it as a huge loss.)
-Deoxys cannot be caught. (I want to have him exclusively in my Emerald Hack)
Pokemon Location Data: Detailed in the PokemonSUNRED_Pokemon file

New Moves: Over 400 New Moves have been added with updated Move Effects that are closer to later entries. Some move effects are not exact but they closely adhere to the original type of move.
Many more Pokemon also have signature moves to distinguish them better and add more variety. Someone in a forum once said that giving every Pokemon a signature move would break the game or something. I disagree and many of them have a fun alternative to common weak and strong moves (No more Psychic as the strongest move on every Psychic Pokemon).
In addition to the new moves, there have also been extensive changes to the regular moveset to add variety and balance. Psybeam for instance is now physical type, Cut is a grass type move and there are now more special Rock type moves among many other changes. None of the moves are game breaking and all are pretty balanced as well as they could be, which gives many Pokemon a much more varied and expanded moveset.
Detailed in the PokemonSUNRED_NewAttacks file and the PokemonSUNRED_Pokemon file

Future Changes: I wanted to change the title screen to add a Solgaleo and the Sun Red text but could not figure out how to do it even with tutorials. If anyone were to guide me on how to fix the glitches I could do that as well.

Screenshot_20190604-122041_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190604-122352_My+Boy%21.jpg

Screenshot_20190523-144150_My+Boy%21.jpg

Credits:
FeraligatrMaster
Bulbapedia and Pokemon Database for all the info
Gamer2020 for Pokemon Game Editor
MrDollSteak and Chaos for the resources on Sprites and Icons
Jambo51 for the tutorial on adding new moves
Itman for tutorials on expanding the move effects and Chaos Rush for the animation tutorial
JackHack96 and Hack Rom Tools for the Advance Trainer, Advance Text, Advance Starter and Advance Map tools
Scizz for the Advance-Mart Tool
Those that contributed to PGE:
HackMew
thethethethe
ZodiacDaGreat
mewthree9000
Darthatron
LU-HO
linkandzelda
userpr
Jambo51
JPAN
Kawa and the Elite Map team.
Bulbapedia
Agastya
Wichu
colcolstyles
RomHackersWorld
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
AkameTheBulbasaur
doom-desire
DizzyEggg
KDSKardabox

UPDATES:
Version 1.3 -
Updated TM/HM list of all Alolan Pokemon as there were some inconsistencies. Thanks FeraligatrMaster for the heads up.
Too many to list but specifically Toucannon line can learn Fly now and Alolan Raichu can learn Psychic. I went through every Alolan Poke again to double-check but let me know if something should learn a move that can't and I will fix it.
-Fixed the Necrozma encounter (You can now access his event)

UPDATES:
Updated the Pokemon Changelog Here. It shows all of the Alolan Evolutions now.
Pokemon Change Log

Attachments

• PokemonSUNRED_ChangeLog.docx
    21.2 KB · Views: 191
  • PokemonSUNRED_NewAttacks.xlsx
    44.8 KB · Views: 189
  • PokemonSUNRED_Pokemon.xlsx
    36 KB · Views: 289
  • Pokemon Sun Red.ips
    769.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
The evolution level glitch can be fixed by giving all Pokemon in the same evolutionary line the same EXP growth rate. The Grubbin line should take 1,000,000 EXP to reach level 100, and the same goes for Crabrawler, Crabominable, Mudbray, and Mudsdale.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Wow. Thanks so much FeraligatrMaster. I will update the patch accordingly and list the glitch as fixed.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
No problem! Also, you can only get an Azurill if you breed a Marill or Azumarill that holds a Sea Incense. If you breed a Marill or Azumarill without a Sea Incense, you'll get a Marill egg. No Azurill or Bounsweet. So maybe make the Sea Incense unobtainable?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Hey uh.. this is pry a dumb question but how do I upload the updated patch? I tried to edit the post to change the attachments but it doesn't look like I can delete the old patch. It only allows me to Download File or Save to Dropbox. Thoughts?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
Hey uh.. this is pry a dumb question but how do I upload the updated patch? I tried to edit the post to change the attachments but it doesn't look like I can delete the old patch. It only allows me to Download File or Save to Dropbox. Thoughts?
You could make a .zip file with the patch and the documents included, then upload that to MediaFire, and then share the MediaFire link here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Ah, I see. Well if there is no other way.
Here is the updated patch for Pokemon Sun Red Vers. 1.2. The Evolution Glitch has now been fixed. Thanks again senor FeraligatrMaster.

Pokemon Sun Red Vers. 1.2

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
This looks nice. Is the given original rom name the exact name though? Google fu returns no such name, but similar ones like squirrel, v1.0 (USA), (U) (Independent) and some romhack reddit threads.

This, I mean: Pkmn FireRed v1.0 (Cleaned) version

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Sorry, yea I can't seem to find that particular rom that I used for making the hack anymore. However I have tested the patch with these two with no issues:
1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba
Pokemon - FireRed Version (USA).gba

These work but I did have an issue with the patch on the following rom:
Pokemon - Fire Red Version (U) (V1.1).gba

nemesish

Azure Trainer
Years
Sorry, yea I can't seem to find that particular rom that I used for making the hack anymore. However I have tested the patch with these two with no issues:
1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba
Pokemon - FireRed Version (USA).gba

These work but I did have an issue with the patch on the following rom:
Pokemon - Fire Red Version (U) (V1.1).gba

Dunno why, but 1.1 is rarely (if not) used for hacking.
Stick to the 1.0 you have.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Yep I didn't know about how it wouldn't obey but I found that out the hard way during testing. The Mew will obey.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
For some reason, Psybeam is a physical move in this game, when it should be a special move. Also, I think the Alolan Pokemon have the TM learnsets of the Pokemon they replaced. I tried to teach my Toucannon HM02 Fly, but it can't learn it, even though it should.

EDIT: Alolan Raichu can't learn Psychic by TM, even though it's Electric/Psychic.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Hey FeraligatrMaster, thanks for the heads up. The tm list has been updated, I went through and caught the inconsistencies so hopefully everything should be working correctly.

Version 1.3 -
Updated TM/HM list of all Alolan Pokemon as there were some inconsistencies. Thanks FeraligatrMaster for the heads up.
Too many to list but specifically Toucannon line can learn Fly now and Alolan Raichu can learn Psychic. I went through every Alolan Poke again to double-check but let me know if something should learn a move that can't and I will fix it.

As for Psybeam being a physical type, I had changed Psybeam specfically to a physical type move for variety and to make up for the abundance of special type Psychic moves. With Confusion, Extrasensory, Psychic and others, Psybeam gets overshadowed pretty easily and I wanted to give it something to make it different.

There are quite a few changes to old moves that are based on balance as well as other hacks such as Volt White, like Cut being a grass type move now. I have listed that in the description now as well.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
You can beat the Elite Four and do the Sevii Quests. So pretty much everything. I only put a version 1.3 on the description since there were a few small fixes that needed to be addressed.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Hey. So, Decidueye got the ability called Arrow Storm. I think it's the signature ability listed in the SUNRED_Pokemon.xlsx guide, Endless Arrow, but how does it work? It's got a rather low listed attack at 40 while my current stab move, the HM Cut is at 60. EDIT: Nvm, Endless Arrow is 40 per hit for multiple hits.

Also, Typhlosion has a rather low amount of fire type moves and good moves in general, with mine only having Flame Wheel and the 2-5 hit signature move thing at level 42.

Lastly, is there a move list guide somewhere? I would certainly appreciate knowing what moves my pokemon would learn in time.

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerKonner

PkmnTrainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
This may just be me but there seems to be an invisible wall where I use rock smash to try and catch Necrozma. I can't seem to get to it. Do I need to have Solgaleo and Lunala in my party first? Also where are Solgaleo and Lunala even located?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 6, 2023
Enjoying the hack so far! I have one question though, how does Charjabug evolve into Vikavolt? Is it through leveling up or a stone?

Back