• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen beating Ultra Necrozma

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I got completely swept many times before I started looking for how to beat it. I had the following pokemon when it was wiping me.

Incenaroar, Lycanroc, Leafeon, Hawlucha, Espeon, and Alolan Ninetails.

I could never get an attack in. It would 1 hit KO everything.

When I found the method, I needed a Zorua. I had planned to use Zorua throughout the game, but it seemed very weak to me. I had Hawlucha in the back.

I wasn't expecting it to completely break the fight. Because it kept using its Psychic attack thinking Zorua was a Hawlucha. I used Foul Play with Zorua at Lv 30, and beat Necrozma within a few hits. The method was saying to use toxic and hold out, so I thought it was going to kill Zorua after 1 try.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 12, 2018
Well I managed to defeat it in my first try (since my pokemon were over grinded) my pokemons were around lv 75 but still had quite a struggle since I had a party of only 5
4 died but primarina kept it together and won the battle for me :)

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I used a Toxic-stall strategy. I had my Tsareena hold a quick claw, and reset a bunch of times until it went first. I had her use Toxic then just stalled it out. Probably the best strategy as anyone can do it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 17, 2018
Phantump/Gastly with destiny bond and focus sash, easiest way to deal with it.

DmitritheDitto

Ditto Fanclub
Years
Ultra Necrozma

I know this is late but I finally got the game,about 3 days ago and fought Ultra Necrozma about 3 hours ago.He was TOUGH AF.One Hit KO garaunteed
I think I was seriously under leveled with none of my Pokémon's over 50 But I managed to beat him first try.Im not the biggest fan of moves/tactics and strategy so my move set is way off.
Primarina-Moon Blast,Disarming Voice,Physic,Sparking Aria.
Hawlucha-Brick Break,Sky Attack,High Jump Kick,False Swipe
Lycanroc(Dusk)-Stone Edge,Rock Climb,Rock Slide,Thrash
Zoroark-Night Slash,Torment,Pursuit,Embargo
Vikavolt-Thunderbolt,Bug Buzz,Charge,Zap Cannon
Skarmory-Air Cutter,Fury Attack,Steel Wing,Toxic
So what I did was use Toxic and just started using revives while Toxic did it's work
And sure enough after 4-6 revives or something I won!haha.I'd was expecting to lose like 6 or 7 times like I did on totem Togedemaru.So all that's left is to finish up the game and complete the dex wish me luck guys!
P.S:Screw you exchange rate and shipping

Rapture11

All about Battle Spot <3
Years
What I did was use stakataka and use toxic then keep using full restores, had to trade for one because this fight is holy godness haha.

Jayzco

Pokemon BUSINESS
Years
Ultra Necrozma was a piece of cake for me. I two-shot it with my Decidueye.

My recommendation: use priority moves like Sucker Punch. It's already a glass cannon.

Dam, I regret not learning Sucker Punch. I used Decidueye's Z-power 2 times then I won. But after all it was really tough, I won on 2nd attempt. What lvl was your Decidueye? Mine was lvl 55.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I beat it in one try but it was clutch. I let it knock out all my Pokémon with Photon Geyser, then restored two of them as I let my Mudsdale stall for a bit. I have to thank my Primarina's Moonblast for this victory.

Sparkin

Never spent so much time trying to figure out how to win a battle before this xD
At the first tries, my team got wiped out entirely, I kept grinding up til all my mons were at least lv. 60, then added Zoroark to my team
That helped a lot

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Step 1: Have Mimikyu in front.

Step 2: Ultra Necrozma used Smart strike, which was of course protected.

Step 3: Mimikyu used Toxic.

Step 4: After Mimikyu fainted I summoned my Ferrothorn which used Leech seed.

Step 5: Stall for few turns.

Step 6: Dead Ultra Necrozma.

There all done. Though I'm pretty sure that won't fly in a nuzrun tho, so I might have to think of somthing different next time.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
There are only two consistent ways of beating Ultra Necrozma, from what I gather.

Bring in a Steel type with good Special bulk that resists its whole movepool. I used a Bronzong for this, but that requires having either a Gen V game or OR/AS and trading it up from there. Going by base stats, alternatives for this strat include Metagross and Magnezone; who can shrug off nearly any hit bar crits off Photon Geyser (in Magnezone's case) after having X-Sp.Def used on it. Bring the Steel type into the fight and boost it up with X Sp.Def so it can stand up to Necrozma's attacks. And then continue the fight like normal; attacking and healing when your Pokemon's HP gets low.

The other consistent strategy (and the easier one of the two, if you didn't train up a good Steel type) to do, and is probably something Gamefreak added at the last minute after their testers ran into issues with the fight, is to catch a Zorua at around the Trainer School in Route 1 and level it up until it learns Foul Play (Level 29). Then take it into battle with Ultra Necrozma and put it out in front, with a pokemon weak to only Photon Geyser in the last slot of your party, and spam Foul Play until Necrozma falls.
The result is that Zorua/Zoroark transforms into an illusion of said pokemon weak to Photon Geyser and Necrozma spams the move on Zorua/Zoroark, doing no damage and not getting the message that it should use other moves, while you knock it out with Foul Play. Surely Necrozma's fatal vulnerability to this strategy was a last-minute nerf to the pokemon during testing.

The reason I am not listing any strategy involving Focus Sash is that it is consumed upon usage. If you by chance used it in an earlier encounter or you want to save it so you don't have to drop 48 BP on another one, you are not always going to have one on hand to use in the fight.

I appreciate making the game harder, but the Ultra Necrozma battle is just poorly designed because beating it demands you to bring in one of a few select Pokemon that happen to be equipped to handle it, have had EXP Share on for the whole game (and trivialize the rest of the game as a result) or use luck-based strategies and hope they work.
Ultra Necrozma could have been just Level 50 (or even Level 55) and the fight would have been fair.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
...I'm not sure how to feel about my experience with Ultra Necrozma.
See, my plan was to put the Poni Wilds Focus Sash on my Toxapex, use Toxic and stall it out with a bunch of Revives (44, to be exact). A little cheap, but I could live with that. (:P) It went off as it was supposed to; after Tox fainted, I randomly decided to send out Mimikyu next. I selected "Let's Snuggle Forever" just for giggles, since I knew Photon Geyser negates Disguise...But then Necrozma used Smart Strike instead?!
I got to take off most of its HP with the Z-Move, and then poison damage knocked it out next turn...So basically, I was planning to win by employing a cheap strategy, but instead I won because of the AI making a really stupid move. ~_~

User19sq

Dam, I regret not learning Sucker Punch. I used Decidueye's Z-power 2 times then I won. But after all it was really tough, I won on 2nd attempt. What lvl was your Decidueye? Mine was lvl 55.

Mine was at Lv. 65 at the time. Mainly because of that Lucky Egg Kukui gives you. :3

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I think Ultra Necrozma is either hard af, or easy af depending on what strat you use. For me, he was hard af since I chose not to read up on it beforehand, but I ended up getting lucky and beat it in one try.

I remember leading off with my Incineroar since I figured he was still Psychic type, but he one-shotted it with Power Gem (bruh). So I sent out my Golisopod, hoping to get a nice First Impression. Barely did around 30-40% (bruuh), and he got one-shotted with another Power Gem. ;-; So I went out to Kommo-o for more damage, but then he outsped and it got one-shotted with Dragon Pulse, revealing to me that he was also part Dragon-type (bruuuuuhhh). I then went into Tsareena, and managed to get a Teeter Dance off when it missed a Photon Geyser (thanks Pokemon Refresh). I revived Kommo-o and Incineroar before Tsareena got one-shotted. I sent out Incineroar, then swapped to Kommo-o to bait out the Power Gem. Next turn, it hit itself in confusion, and I managed to take it out with Devastating Drake.

My dudes were like level 54-55. I did not expect a Lv60 monster beast capable of vaporizing teams without even getting out of bed. Then again, I'm glad Game Freak actually tried to provide a really good challenge in a Pokemon game since Colosseum and XD, and I hope this continues, but on less of an Exodia-like scale. I've never thought so much about what I had to do, and it most likely would've downed my entire team if not for that Photon Geyser miss.

Last edited:

UmbreonMaster99

UmbreonMaster99
Years
OMG guys, I literally had to use my LV. 100 Milotic shiny JUST so I could beat the d*** thing! That sucker literally wiped my team three times, which made it more infuriating.

So I went to the PokeCenter and said, "F it. I'm pulling in the big guns." After needless tries of using Milotic to listen to ME, I finally defeated Ultra Necrozma! XD

I was just sooooo upset, and that is how I beat him.

Years
In my Water Monotype, I beat it today thanks to my Lapras (with a -Sp Def nature no less, but quite a few EVs) surviving its Photon Geyser with 7 HP and using Perish Song. Protect helped on that note, and it did a little over half to my Primarina with Power Gem (who I had a Charti Berry ready on Lapras for) and then OHKO'd my Swampert with Photon Geyser before it succumbed.

Back