• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Why does this Generation receive so much hate?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
the funny thing about complaints regarding trials is that, as I remember it, people were excited that Game Freak was "shaking up the formula" (lol) by replacing gyms with trials

even more ironic is that trials and gyms ended up being pretty much the same thing, at least on a basic level

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
the funny thing about complaints regarding trials is that, as I remember it, people were excited that Game Freak was "shaking up the formula" (lol) by replacing gyms with trials

even more ironic is that trials and gyms ended up being pretty much the same thing, at least on a basic level

Yeah, I guess. Honestly, I expected more from the trials than just some kiddish BS. Like the Lana one, that was honestly crap. Even Mallow's trial sucked. Kiawe's was also easy, but what amused me was the hiker in the picture. That was hilarious. The only one that I felt was worth the title of "trial" was against Totem Mimikyu, which wasn't too hard for me, but proved to be a challenge even when my team was filled with lvl. 40 + pokemon. I guess more than the trials actually being crappy, people just expected more because of all the hype from GF and the data mines and stuff. We wanted something that they just could not give us.

Years
lol

the reason why people dislike this generation is more or less because of USUM. because the way USUM was marketed made it seem like it was going to be another B2W2 instead of being a third game and that ended up pissing a lot of people off. there's nothing inherently wrong with alola as a region, only the way the games were designed to portray the region.

this is why i strongly wish that USUM was an actual sequel instead of a third game, that way seventh generation would get MUCH better reception. i just dont think game freak really treated seventh generation with the kind of care it really deserved in the long run because a sequel would've been a perfect send-off to seventh gen, being the last games on the 3DS line and all.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
Im sorry but gen 7 games just didnt give me the feeling that the previous games gave me. Perhaps its the lack of gyms or the weird UB's thing (horrible) or ENDLESS cut scenes etc. I really don't know. But these games just dont give me the Pokemon feel..

Yeah, they just didn't seem to have the grinding aspect, or the work for the results ideology. Everythign was practically given to you. The games were just too easy, and the post game was basically non-existant after the UB missions. Only competitive battling improved, imo.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I think the Pokemon Bank put me off considerably too.

I'd be willing to pay money to trade Pokemon over to a new system, like the Switch, but to suddenly have the same console now unable to connect, despite being able to do it in the last two games; that was intentional and it was intentional to squeeze more money out of fans.

That put me off right away, but then I just didn't like the game at all either.

As Jane mentioned, I recall the opening cutscene lasting an hour or so, the Pokemon designs and story being a bit uninteresting for me (though I did like the fire cat starter) and the fact the arrow keys no longer worked.... it began adding up for me. That I simply did not enjoy this game and had no desire to keep playing.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
I think the Pokemon Bank put me off considerably too.

I'd be willing to pay money to trade Pokemon over to a new system, like the Switch, but to suddenly have the same console now unable to connect, despite being able to do it in the last two games; that was intentional and it was intentional to squeeze more money out of fans.

What's wrong with pokebank?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
I'd rather the OG Sun/Moon's "easy" difficulty over US/UM's poorly balanced "hard" difficulty; which includes straight up unfair fights that more or less demand bringing specific counters or straight up cheesing with Z-Moves like Kiwae's Thick Club Marowak + Salazzle, Ultra Necrozma and the final trial's Ribome. This type of so called "elite" difficulty can straight up softlock less patient or experienced players from the rest of the game.
Even if OG Sun/Moon are easy, you still have to earn your victories and are not trivial; many of the totems like Mimmikyu are challenging unless you overlevel and steamroll them or otherwise cheese them.
Pokemon has never been really hard. It's always been a mild challenge at most (aside from some really unfair battles like the aforementioned battles in US/UM) to those who are experienced with the series.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
What's wrong with pokebank?

The annual fee to transfer Pokemon between the exact same systems that previously worked in every other game.

It's transparent as all hell that it was purely for profit. And they disabled any other option but it, to essentially bully people into using it, and the fee.

I could tolerate such a system, even the fee, if it was needed, like, say, to port 3DS Pokemon to something like the Switch, but in S/M's case, it was pure greed.
Put me off instantly.

Didn't help I didn't like the game, but that certainly didn't help it.

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
Can you transfer Pkmn from SM/USUM to Switch via the Pokebank without paying for another service

I'd rather the OG Sun/Moon's "easy" difficulty over US/UM's poorly balanced "hard" difficulty; which includes straight up unfair fights that more or less demand bringing specific counters or straight up cheesing with Z-Moves like Kiwae's Thick Club Marowak + Salazzle, Ultra Necrozma and the final trial's Ribome. This type of so called "elite" difficulty can straight up softlock less patient or experienced players from the rest of the game.
Even if OG Sun/Moon are easy, you still have to earn your victories and are not trivial; many of the totems like Mimmikyu are challenging unless you overlevel and steamroll them or otherwise cheese them.
Pokemon has never been really hard. It's always been a mild challenge at most (aside from some really unfair battles like the aforementioned battles in US/UM) to those who are experienced with the series.

Dude, if you played Platinum or D/P, you remeber Cynthia, right? Probably the herdest NPC, mroe than Red. Atleast with him I had Lvl. 90 Pkmn. I used my level 60-65 team and was still steamrolled. That's the difficulty I want in the newer generations. ORAS wasn;t easy, but it wasn;t hard. SM was so easy, I trained on the league without items and won every single time. There's no point now. The games are damn tutorials to attract new players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Can you transfer Pkmn from SM/USUM to Switch via the Pokebank without paying for another service

Apart from direct trading (I don't have any friends with 3DS' and only have one myself), I think Game Freak has made the Pokemon Bank (and thus fee) mandatory if you ever want to trade Pokemon yourself from one generation to another.

And actually, I don't think trading between generations even works anymore P2P either. That's just between the same game.

Yeah, the ONLY way now is that Pokemon Bank. Pretty sleazy.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Yeah, they just didn't seem to have the grinding aspect, or the work for the results ideology. Everythign was practically given to you. The games were just too easy, and the post game was basically non-existant after the UB missions. Only competitive battling improved, imo.

It was the same with Gen VI.

I liked better this Gen than the previous 2 tbh xD. Though like Nah said before, the newest Gen does tend to get a lot of hate. I still recall how Gen III (and this was before I joined any Pokemon forums), IV, V, and VI got a ton of hate...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 3, 2019
I still haven't actually finished Sun & Moon. I think I'm currently in some library, looking up something about some legendary pokemon for reasons I can't remember. It makes for a strange contrast to the very similar X&Y and ORAS, both of which I just loved, and blitzed through in roughly two weeks, deliberately slowing myself down to make them last.

For me, the issue wasn't the new pokemon, or the available older Gen pokemon, or replacing gym badges with trials, or the difficulty level. All of those things seemed absolutely fine to me. What killed Sun & Moon for me was just how intrusive the story was.

I don't mind that the story wasn't very good. The vast majority of Pokemon games have pretty poor stories, but it doesn't matter. That's not what I play Pokemon games for. I don't care about the evil Team's plans, or the legendary being woken up this time, or my rival's personal journey. I just want to catch Pokemon and make them battle other Pokemon.

Sun & Moon's story wasn't any better or worse than any other Pokemon game's. But it was much harder to ignore. It seemed like the game was constantly stopping for yet another cutscene, and they were so pointless. Just Hau or Lillie or some other person rambling on about nothing for an eternity. To rub salt in the wound, they give you Mass Effect-style dialogue options - none of which make the slightest of difference in how the story progresses, meaning that all it achieves is slowing down the cut-scenes even further!

It probably wouldn't have been quite so irritating in earlier generations. Mostly because the cut-scenes were much simpler and progressed more quickly. NPC enters from offscreen, talks to you for a bit, you can hold down A to make the dialogue appear on screen more quickly, and then its over. B&W's storyline could be pretty frustratingly intrusive too (I could quite happily go my entire life without reading another of N's banal monologues ever again), but didn't suffer so much from this because the dialogue could be skipped through more quickly.

But now there are establishing shots and camera angles, and the NPCs can actually gesture and do things beyond walk and stay still, you get to see the protagonist staring and grinning like has suffered brain damage in response to all of this, and in theory this should make these cutscenes more interesting, but in practice it just makes them longer. On top of that, the dialogue doesn't seem to be able to be sped through in the same way, instead the speech bubble appears, the dialogue appears, then it skips to the next line in its own time. (I could be misremembering here, it's been a while since I last fired up Sun & Moon.) I don't care about whatever the heck is threatening the world this time - just let me battle Pokemon!

It wouldn't have been so bad if the story - like in most Pokemon games - didn't take itself so damn seriously all the time. I liked, for example, how deliberately stupid Team Skull was, and that fire (?) trial made me genuinely laugh out loud in a way I rarely do while while playing Pokemon (those post-game scenes in ORAS where you get the extra starters were similarly uncharacteristically hilarious, to the point where it seems like you've just wandered into a different game.) Were the tone a bit more like this, and less aggressively dull, I wouldn't have nearly as much issue which how much prominence the story took up in the game.

Last edited:
Years
I liked better this Gen than the previous 2 tbh xD. Though like Nah said before, the newest Gen does tend to get a lot of hate. I still recall how Gen III (and this was before I joined any Pokemon forums), IV, V, and VI got a ton of hate...

Isn't that interesting? And yet all of those generations years later are one of the most beloved (except for Gen VI, people justifiably aren't a fan of that generation).

Really though, I think as we get older, our standards became much more stricter, because we expect Pokemon games to grow up with us. Pokemon games will always be, at their core, whimsical and nonsensical. The plot and characters were never supposed to be something to write home about, because that was never the point of Pokemon.

I think the best way to have fun with Pokemon games the way some of us did as kids is to stop giving a shit about all that in the first place and play Pokemon for what it's supposed to be: a pocket monster game that lets you breed, train, battle, and trade hundreds of creatures back and fourth. That's how Pokemon has always been and I think some of us need to drop the expectation that it'll change because it's likely that it won't.

Last edited:

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
Years
I just didn't like the Pokedex telling me where to go next all the time.
Plus having someone check on me all the time I enter a new place letting me know about the place or something else, was quite a pain.

NewtonRPG

Newton
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 7, 2018
True, you want to explore a new place on your own, then all of a sudden, it spoils for you. Besides, only you have the choice to catch Pokémon, not the dex...

I honestly like Gen 7, but I never understood why Gen 7 received so much hate... If Game Freak wants to try something new, let them try something new, because having the Gyms again would be repetitive for the game.

[align=center]
Name: Lucky
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage[/align]

2101d4dc-f93d-489e-9759-efad9a308a8c

Last edited:
Years
lol

the reason why people dislike this generation is more or less because of USUM. because the way USUM was marketed made it seem like it was going to be another B2W2 instead of being a third game and that ended up pissing a lot of people off. there's nothing inherently wrong with alola as a region, only the way the games were designed to portray the region.

this is why i strongly wish that USUM was an actual sequel instead of a third game, that way seventh generation would get MUCH better reception. i just dont think game freak really treated seventh generation with the kind of care it really deserved in the long run because a sequel would've been a perfect send-off to seventh gen, being the last games on the 3DS line and all.

I think you have the best point here. I was definitely deceived by the US/UM marketing too, especially since there was so many B2/W2 vibes I picked up on. I even feel the difficulty here was very unfair, especially with stuff like Ultra Necrozma or some very tough Totems like Marowak, Ribombee, and the new wide-coverage set on Kommo-o. Beating that Necrozma without a Zoroark is a pipe dream, and don't get how I was able to beat it without such a Pokemon.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
If anything, Gen 7 had a ton of flaws that really bothered me. The first and biggest problem that Gen 7 had was the incredible amount of hype it got, especially with it being an anniversary special. The whole thing felt like a major let-down. The game was incredibly slow (Especially with how fast paced gen 5 and 6 were) and by lord, the trials were a real bore and above, the poorly executed inclusion of Red and Green/Blue. I did not even bother buying USUM and boy am I glad that I did not.

Back