• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CosmicEmerald Version [Updated! 12/24/2019]

Years
Its possible to allow legendaries on the battle frontier? I cant find an hackrom that do this, I ve see that soul dew its enabled, so maybe its possible to do it... Im not good enought with hacking roms so I cant do it myself... its useless to have legendaries if you cant use them for fights at post end-game battle frontier... and cosmic emerald its the hackrom that i like best

Hi, it's awesome to hear this is your favorite hack :)
I may actually be able to do this, hopefully without ASM though since I don't have a lot of time to be trying to figure all that out. Right now I'm thinking it may be as simple as removing some parts of the script that checks for Legendaries, but it might be way more complex than that. Upon the next release, I will add this as an 'extension' patch if I can manage it.

EDIT: Good news, @Fabbix96! I realized that Gamer2020's Pok?mon Game Editor already provides a way to edit Battle Frontier's ban list. So I figured, why not just make and release a patch now? Here you go, you can patch your CosmicEmerald (or even regular Emerald) ROM with the file below. It allows all Legendaries but bans Unown, since I had to pick something to fill the slots and choosing the "?" spaces seemed kind of risky. I'll put it up on the main page when the next release of the game is finished.

Attachments

• [EM]_AllowUberLegendaries_BattleFrontier.ips
    33 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
Waaaaa ill love you if you can do this! xD the feeling to use a legendary that you love and that you ve difficulty catched, for finish the last part of the story, complete the game and listen what scott and frontier brains/aces have to says to you, its indescribable... and yea! I love this hackrom because its a real 3rd gen game but it also feels like a remix/remaster, and its less bugged than the others hackroms that have this "new combat system" & newgen moves... because with this new combat system some new moves haven't the animation at all, and some pokemons haven't the sound/growl when comes in to the battle... and other some bugs like the u-turn move... so I think that your rom its much more treated in details than the others, (its not an hackrom, but more like an enhanced official emerald game) its simply the best emerald game at the moment.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 17, 2021
Hello Sky0fBlades, i'm also having a plan to remake Pokemon Emerald using the tools on the Internet. My version is not complicated like yours because i'm not good in Script Editing to use XSE or PKSV-UI Tools. I have some ideas for yours version and I hope you could share the way you do it, so I can also do for mine.
First, you can expand the capacity of the game by using Pokemon Game Editor - [email protected] (double capacity, automatically) or any hex editor tool (manually) (I think you knew it before)
You said you can change forms deoxys, i tried to rename the rom (deoxys's form depend on game's version) but it didn't work because Emerald only has data of Speed Form. Could you share how to add data of another forms to the rom and the script of npc to change form in game?
To make the game more interesting, I think we can create an underground city below Battle Frontier, adding 8 GYM + Elite Four from FR/LG version in here or using the ships (Slateport City, Lilycove City) to go to Kanto region, adding black market -> rare items (Rare Candy, Master Ball, PP Max,...)
In addition, we can add more options in selecting characters (Red and Leaf in FR/LG), create fashion shops to change cloth's color, change pokemon's sprite like HG/SS, change overworld sprites looks like HG/SS (without any error)
For each new feature, I hope you could detailed. Thank you.

Years
Hello Sky0fBlades, i'm also having a plan to remake Pokemon Emerald using the tools on the Internet. My version is not complicated like yours because i'm not good in Script Editing to use XSE or PKSV-UI Tools. I have some ideas for yours version and I hope you could share the way you do it, so I can also do for mine.
First, you can expand the capacity of the game by using Pokemon Game Editor - [email protected] (double capacity, automatically) or any hex editor tool (manually) (I think you knew it before)
You said you can change forms deoxys, i tried to rename the rom (deoxys's form depend on game's version) but it didn't work because Emerald only has data of Speed Form. Could you share how to add data of another forms to the rom and the script of npc to change form in game?
To make the game more interesting, I think we can create an underground city below Battle Frontier, adding 8 GYM + Elite Four from FR/LG version in here or using the ships (Slateport City, Lilycove City) to go to Kanto region, adding black market -> rare items (Rare Candy, Master Ball, PP Max,...)
In addition, we can add more options in selecting characters (Red and Leaf in FR/LG), create fashion shops to change cloth's color, change pokemon's sprite like HG/SS, change overworld sprites looks like HG/SS (without any error)
For each new feature, I hope you could detailed. Thank you.

Hi CONANTEPPI,

Yes the ROM's capacity can easily be increased to 32MB, XSE also has a similar option in its Tools menu called "ROM Resizer". For CosmicEmerald however, I am aiming to keep its size as 16MB so it loads/transfers at maximum speed on older or slower systems (Playstation Portable for example, which doesn't really have stellar transfer speed but is great for emulation) and takes up only half the space. Additionally, the ROM I used has been through my Stabilization tutorial which allows for a lot more free space within the original ROM. Right now it looks as if I'll be able to implement all of the features planned without even coming close to running out of space.

As for Deoxys' forms, it looks to me like the only way to get the other forms in the game is to either replace/add existing Pok?mon data slots, which would inevitably change the game's save structure (when adding) or make some classic Pok?mon unavailable (replacing). It essentially becomes similar to adding different Pok?mon entirely since all forms cannot use the same slot. I honestly have no idea how to get all of them in the game at once without running into a compromise situation like that, but those with proficiency in ASM could be able to bypass this. Now, I do know of a way to change Deoxys to its 'normal' form and back to 'speed' again without major complications, though it requires applying an external patch to the ROM to alternate between the two (one patch to turn it on, another to turn it off). Pretty easy if one is willing to keep those patches handy, I'll include them with the next release and with appropriate credits for its original author(s).

The idea of adding more content from FR/LG does seem interesting, though placing all of Kanto underneath the Battle Frontier seems a bit illogical to say the least. The ship idea is great, though trying to reconstruct all of Kanto (especially all of those scripts and events) would take me FOREVER quite honestly. It could only be made worse by my tendency to nitpick every detail of what I do, and will no doubt require expanding the ROM as collateral. The 'black market' idea sounds really cool to me, though it would make the game entirely too easy and reduce the need for exploration to find good items. I did make the PP Max item slightly more common in the next release; only a few more out there to find though. Same with Master Balls, there is already 1 (or 2 IIRC?) more out there than there are in the original game.

A 'character select' system would be amazing, but it's way outside the scope of this project unfortunately. I did also want the ability to change the characters' clothing colors, sort of like in Pok?mon Prism (one of my favorites BTW). Though of course it would almost certainly require some serious ASM, which is something I barely know the basics of and don't have time for. If someone already made this for Gen 3 (and would be OK with sharing such unique code), I would be more than happy to make it a part of this game.

Changing all of the overworld sprites is something I could - and might even do, though it is not a priority at the moment. As for the Pok?mon sprites, I'd change them if I can find pre-made ones that have an animation frame (since animated sprites are awesome).

Hopefully this helps you, I know it's a bit of a text wall.

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I'm so happy too see this hack going smoothly. Love the updated battle backgrounds, although I do have a question. Will you consider remapping Hoennwith more attractive tiles? Or maybe a separate patch for those who prefer a more aesthetically pleasing playthrough? Same with the sprites as well.

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2022
Just wanting to make sure, but surskit is 100% available without mixing records in this (for obvious reasons) and is simply a 1% catch rate right?

Years
I'm so happy too see this hack going smoothly. Love the updated battle backgrounds, although I do have a question. Will you consider remapping Hoennwith more attractive tiles? Or maybe a separate patch for those who prefer a more aesthetically pleasing playthrough? Same with the sprites as well.

Thanks. I may eventually do another overhaul of the graphics if I can find better tiles that will blend well. I know there is the option of using FireRed's, but there are many RSE tiles I want to keep as normal and mixing those different styles is not something I imagine would go well. What is it about the current tiles that are putting you off? It may be an easy fix, perhaps a few color changes. Some of them though (like cave tiles) were chosen to keep the battle backgrounds as consistent with the actual terrain as possible, especially considering that there are different cave styles and only one cave background I can use.

Again, I could do a sprite overhaul too but for now I am focusing on gameplay and on making features available.

Just wanting to make sure, but surskit is 100% available without mixing records in this (for obvious reasons) and is simply a 1% catch rate right?

Yes, Surskit is available on several routes (its normal ones) but is a 1% encounter rate, and only found while Surfing. It's catch rate would be a different number though.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 17, 2021
Hi CONANTEPPI,

Yes the ROM's capacity can easily be increased to 32MB, XSE also has a similar option in its Tools menu called "ROM Resizer". For CosmicEmerald however, I am aiming to keep its size as 16MB so it loads/transfers at maximum speed on older or slower systems (Playstation Portable for example, which doesn't really have stellar transfer speed but is great for emulation) and takes up only half the space. Additionally, the ROM I used has been through my Stabilization tutorial which allows for a lot more free space within the original ROM. Right now it looks as if I'll be able to implement all of the features planned without even coming close to running out of space.

As for Deoxys' forms, it looks to me like the only way to get the other forms in the game is to either replace/add existing Pok?mon data slots, which would inevitably change the game's save structure (when adding) or make some classic Pok?mon unavailable (replacing). It essentially becomes similar to adding different Pok?mon entirely since all forms cannot use the same slot. I honestly have no idea how to get all of them in the game at once without running into a compromise situation like that, but those with proficiency in ASM could be able to bypass this. Now, I do know of a way to change Deoxys to its 'normal' form and back to 'speed' again without major complications, though it requires applying an external patch to the ROM to alternate between the two (one patch to turn it on, another to turn it off). Pretty easy if one is willing to keep those patches handy, I'll include them with the next release and with appropriate credits for its original author(s).

The idea of adding more content from FR/LG does seem interesting, though placing all of Kanto underneath the Battle Frontier seems a bit illogical to say the least. The ship idea is great, though trying to reconstruct all of Kanto (especially all of those scripts and events) would take me FOREVER quite honestly. It could only be made worse by my tendency to nitpick every detail of what I do, and will no doubt require expanding the ROM as collateral. The 'black market' idea sounds really cool to me, though it would make the game entirely too easy and reduce the need for exploration to find good items. I did make the PP Max item slightly more common in the next release; only a few more out there to find though. Same with Master Balls, there is already 1 (or 2 IIRC?) more out there than there are in the original game.

A 'character select' system would be amazing, but it's way outside the scope of this project unfortunately. I did also want the ability to change the characters' clothing colors, sort of like in Pok?mon Prism (one of my favorites BTW). Though of course it would almost certainly require some serious ASM, which is something I barely know the basics of and don't have time for. If someone already made this for Gen 3 (and would be OK with sharing such unique code), I would be more than happy to make it a part of this game.

Changing all of the overworld sprites is something I could - and might even do, though it is not a priority at the moment. As for the Pok?mon sprites, I'd change them if I can find pre-made ones that have an animation frame (since animated sprites are awesome).

Hopefully this helps you, I know it's a bit of a text wall.

For some litte changes, I think we dont need whole 16MB, just 2 - 3MB. it's enough. But the work that adding "FF" for more free space is totally boring. lol

"FOREVER"? It is worth for our passion :)) . I've played Gen 3 games for 10 years and I think Emerald is the best. It includes a lot of things to do after Elite Four. Another generations aren't good enough. Gen I and II, the graphics have no color. For Gen IV+, they have 2 displays, it is not easy to play on the computer. Additionally, those emulators for them don't have turbo mode for playing faster like VBA. @@

For changing pokemon's sprites, I found this video. You can apply for the cosmic version. Personally, it is not as beautiful as the original version =.= .
youtube.com/watch?v=k1ViDa32ksI

Years
For some litte changes, I think we dont need whole 16MB, just 2 - 3MB. it's enough. But the work that adding "FF" for more free space is totally boring. lol

"FOREVER"? It is worth for our passion :)) . I've played Gen 3 games for 10 years and I think Emerald is the best. It includes a lot of things to do after Elite Four. Another generations aren't good enough. Gen I and II, the graphics have no color. For Gen IV+, they have 2 displays, it is not easy to play on the computer. Additionally, those emulators for them don't have turbo mode for playing faster like VBA. @@

For changing pokemon's sprites, I found this video. You can apply for the cosmic version. Personally, it is not as beautiful as the original version =.= .
youtube.com/watch?v=k1ViDa32ksI

Changing the bytes was actually pretty easy and didn't take too long, thankfully HxD allows for changing huge portions of files all at once. It was worth it too - especially since it freed up several million more bytes of space to use, and helps prevent programs from overwriting the wrong bytes (00s, in this case) and glitching the ROM. I decided to reserve the 0xE3CF64+ addresses for ASM code or as backup space if I'll ever need it. For details, check out the tutorial linked in my signature.

I had said it would take me forever to import all the Kanto stuff because I am getting an increasing number of serious things to worry about IRL and I no longer have a lot of time for these things anymore. Believe me, I wish I did since I still enjoy it, but unfortunately I'm 25 years old and this isn't something I could hope to pay any bills with. Several years back, I claimed that I wasn't going to even consider abandoning this project until every plausible feature I'd intended to add was in. Since this ROM hack seems to be what many people want to play (myself included if I could still play without feeling I have to speed-run everything), I am doing my best to not leave it as yet another incomplete game.

My two all-time favorites of the series are Crystal and Emerald, with Yellow not far behind. Gen 1-2's graphics may not be great by today's standards, but the story and gameplay totally make up for that IMO. This is also one of the reasons I've been trying to add some of their content into this ROM hack as well, to make an all-around fun game. I never really got into Gen 4+, aside from a few of the Pok?mon designs that I believe are really cool.

Thanks for linking the video concerning changing the sprites.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
EDIT: Good news, @Fabbix96! I realized that Gamer2020's Pok?mon Game Editor already provides a way to edit Battle Frontier's ban list. So I figured, why not just make and release a patch now? Here you go, you can patch your CosmicEmerald (or even regular Emerald) ROM with the file below. It allows all Legendaries but bans Unown, since I had to pick something to fill the slots and choosing the "?" spaces seemed kind of risky. I'll put it up on the main page when the next release of the game is finished.
Yayyyyyyy, Ty Sky!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Years
I stumbled upon an update for this hack on a separate website. How come the latest patch hasn't been dropped here? :S

I made tons of changes to the last thread, and since the posting format between these 2 places is different (a lot the BB code gets converted automatically to simplify editing), I wasn't able to copy everything over without mutilating the whole thread. I had even gotten it looking really nice over there too, which already took me a while since I'm nitpicky. So it turns out it was incompatible trying to copy it here (if I had known that before, I would have updated here first). I picked that site first because it was based on the first ROM hacking forum I became a member of, and my biggest reason for putting it here was because of popular request, as I said in the original post when I made it. It's not that I don't like this place, its just that it's not really the same.

I removed the attachment downloads from this thread so people won't be still going for the outdated version. I could put the new files here, but then everyone who gets them won't know what or how many changes I made unless they look at the source. Apparently I can't point them there because it turns the thread into an unwanted advertisement.

Sending people here before I've posted the files and information will just cause frustration for them. So I'll have to re-write all the changes or copy it all and re-do the formatting, but I seriously don't feel like going through the trouble right now; especially since I have been spending late nights (including this morning) trying to fix serious issues I just found with the game's events.

Don't worry about it, I'll get to this thread sometime soon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2022
I've found the new version, I thought wattson was supposed to only show up if you have 170 Pokemon in your pokedex? I only have 120 and he's there now

Years
I've found the new version, I thought wattson was supposed to only show up if you have 170 Pokemon in your pokedex? I only have 120 and he's there now

Hm... maybe I made a typo in the guide, I'll check it out.
Oh nevermind, it says 150+. The earlier versions however did have a steeper requirement and it was all Hoenn Dex instead of National.

Do you have your National Dex yet? You may have caught 120 Hoenn Pokémon but also at least 30 non-Hoenn ones. If you have your National Dex, check to see if it says 150 or more captured (if it does then this would cause him to show up). I have the script set to count for overall National Dex progress, and its value to check for is 0x96 which is 150 in decimal.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2022
Alright, I guess that's why it happened, also I Can't get eevee to evolve into Umbreon. Its become night and I only get Espeon

Years
Alright, I guess that's why it happened, also I Can't get eevee to evolve into Umbreon. Its become night and I only get Espeon

This appears to be a result of the evolution method being logically backwards in the 3rd Generation games. Apparently it evolves into Espeon from noon to midnight, and Umbreon from midnight to noon. It is stated here. I'll probably change that in a future update if I can figure out how to.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2022
There are 2 fishermen (thus far) that black screen the game for me. One on route 127 and the other on route 119.

Years
There are 2 fishermen (thus far) that black screen the game for me. One on route 127 and the other on route 119.

Thanks for letting me know, I just found out about this a little while ago actually. It's a result of Magikarp's learnable-moves list apparently having an invalid offset after a data repoint, which causes the game to crash whenever a Magikarp is encountered in the wild or with a Trainer.

This will be fixed in the next update (which comes with some minor graphics fixes too), which I intend to release within the next couple of days. Initially I was going to take a bit of a break from this project, but this problem is definitely significant enough to warrant an early update. I still plan to add the latest files to this thread too eventually.

For now, just save your game before facing Fishermen and try to avoid Magikarp encounters (they are not usually found when surfing, except in Sootopolis City). It also happens when facing the Fisherman between the rocks north of Dewford town and the one just below Rustboro City.

EDIT: The problem has now been fixed, and the new release is now available on this site.

Last edited:
Years
Just letting you all know that the latest release is now available at the bottom of the original post. I won't be working on this for a while, real life is getting to be extremely stressful right now.

As always, if you need any help or find any more glitches in-game then post here or PM me wherever you can find me. I'll try to answer when I can get some time for it.

Last edited:
Back