• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
On a side note, I wish this thread was more active. I love to see maps people make

well since you asked - I've been working on this map for a while, and I have it how I like, but I think the upper, mountain range area, could be better - any suggestions, guys?
Spoiler:

-one thing, I was to leave the bridge and the house up there, as well as the cave on the side and the fast travel station near the bottom - that still leaves a lot of the map open to change (although what do I know, maybe it looks fine :P)

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
well since you asked - I've been working on this map for a while, and I have it how I like, but I think the upper, mountain range area, could be better - any suggestions, guys?
Spoiler:

-one thing, I was to leave the bridge and the house up there, as well as the cave on the side and the fast travel station near the bottom - that still leaves a lot of the map open to change (although what do I know, maybe it looks fine :P)

To me, the map seems a bit empty. Maybe add some rocks here and there. Also, maybe it's just me, but I think the raised portions of the rocky section should be the same color as the cliffs, and not the same color as the ground level. Also, the two-story house is missing a tile of the roof. Otherwise, I like it.

Wait, are you mixing Gen 3 and Gen 4 graphics on the same map?

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
To me, the map seems a bit empty. Maybe add some rocks here and there. Also, maybe it's just me, but I think the raised portions of the rocky section should be the same color as the cliffs, and not the same color as the ground level. Also, the two-story house is missing a tile of the roof. Otherwise, I like it.

Wait, are you mixing Gen 3 and Gen 4 graphics on the same map?
there's also supposed to be various holes in the ground (like the edges of a mountain, but it leads to black emptiness) giving the bridge actual purpose, that and the missing piece of the house is a minor tileset error I had for some reason

I'll add some more decoration like rocks and stuff, I can't believe I hadnt already {XD}
the cliffs are fine, its all on a cliff, and the cliffs you walk on are different from the cliffs you can't, however I may change it to a grass mountain, or mix it with grass patch >.>

as for the gen3+4 its similar to how gba hacks use several different tiles, the mountains are proportional, and so are the trees, I've added several other things but they all fit the dimensions of GBA equivalents, but look much better, so I figured if it's good for one, its perfectly fine for another - and I know of no one else who does this, so I'm original :P

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Made a forest map, that is to be home to Bug-type Pokémon. I put more tall grass than dirt path because it's supposed to be a natural path through the forest. Suggestions on what I can improved?

View attachment 69043

A rule of thumb is to alway keep the path's size at 2 tiles minimum. Doesn't look too bad ignoring that fact.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Made a forest map, that is to be home to Bug-type Pokémon. I put more tall grass than dirt path because it's supposed to be a natural path through the forest. Suggestions on what I can improved?

View attachment 69043

I like the look, but the mountain looks too sparkly, but its a cool map - I especially like how you used the space you had. It could have easily been a small map, but the twists and turns and maze you created it's great the way it is. Good job.

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
I like the look, but the mountain looks too sparkly, but its a cool map - I especially like how you used the space you had. It could have easily been a small map, but the twists and turns and maze you created it's great the way it is. Good job.

Thank you. The mountain/cave is the one that's included in the HGSS set I have. I can only assume it's supposed to be mossy or something. Haha. I've been told my maps are too linear or square, so I tried to make it more winding.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Assuming you don't walk on liquid, how does one access the fire and water starter?

On a side note, I wish this thread was more active. I love to see maps people make, it's eye bleach for me. I might contribute some maps too soon since I'll be making maps in PokeSharp for testing purposes.

Here, I fixed it. Actually fixed it yesterday. The pokeballs indicate where the pokemon will roam around, then if you call them the pokemon will come to you. o.o
starter_selection_cave_by_0_rufus-d6fxe2e.png

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Ha, I've been trying to sprite some nice triple wide glass panes for interor pokemon enclosures. They look terrible.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Here, I fixed it. Actually fixed it yesterday. The pokeballs indicate where the pokemon will roam around, then if you call them the pokemon will come to you. o.o
starter_selection_cave_by_0_rufus-d6fxe2e.png

These are the thing i dont like about your map(I even circled them :P)

Pink: I think there needs to either be corner tiles there, or some sort of special flow(Lava Waterfall maybe) tile there.
Orange: I have never liked having 1 tile missing in paths like that. :L Might just be me.
Blue: There needs to be a better transition there.

Random note: Make the map about 5 tiles bigger each direction and add Cave Walls.

2zfqxzn.png

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
A new map for Pokémon Chaos my new tiles:

Spoiler:

Better transitions of the water waves. It detracts a lot. See the waterfalls? They denote that the water current isn't steady, hence some water should lash on the rocky sand.

Other than that I like the way you've used the sand and grass to good effect, maybe add some sandy effect on the roads?
Another thing you can do is make the cliff a bit more untidy, maybe a bit more protruding at the middle-right, just after the water rocks.

Lastly, the houses seem to clash a bit with the Pokécenter style, because of the perspective view.

I would certainly love to play on this map, however. So in the gameplay aspect this one is good.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
e4vZt.jpg

RBY Pokemon Center Revamped :3
I never liked the GSC Pokemon Center Layout.

Iunno, I always liked the classic kind of PC, it looks nice :P

A new map for Pokémon Chaos my new tiles:

Spoiler:

It's not too bad, I don't really see how the broken wall fits, maybe if there were rundown abandoned houses instead of those nice ones, but I guess it still works either way - I like the cliffs and the transitions from grass to sand, it flows nice - good work

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Cinnabar Island, from Blaze Red.

cinnabar_island_by_44tim44-d6gikyz.png

I'd really suggest improving the doors. They clash a lot with the style of things. Other than that nice tiles you've got there. I hope the waves near the land are gonna be animated, they look totally hype!

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
This one's in the form of a video, but this is the player's room. What do you think xD ?

Spoiler:

Oh my god, I love the tedious, unneeded extras, where nearly everything you touch has something to say, and the collecting books thing blew my mind, thats so awesome, they're like little hidden extras that can be hidden all over the game, its so awesome - and the room seems pretty decent, I'm not a pro on 2gen rooms, but it seems pretty cool - keep it up! it was fantastic

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
This one's in the form of a video, but this is the player's room. What do you think xD ?

Spoiler:

They should make a separate "Video Showcase" thread for things like this lol.

But I was attracted by the features, but the map overall looks OK lol. Might've had better luck in the Screenshot Showcase imo, because I can't really suggest much for the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back