• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Hi, I've noticed this bug in my game, so I recreated the situation in fresh Essentials and the same
thing happened. When walking on the edge of the cliff with an event following you, this happens:

Spoiler:

It seems as if the event does not recognize that the tile the player is walking on is passable.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
When i try to translate my game, the text doesn´t change. This is what i made:
-Extract text with editor
-Translate the second line of some text in "intl.txt"
-Compile text
-Change "INTL.dat" to "spanish.dat"
-Put "spanish.dat and "english.dat" in "Data" folder. (english.dat is just the text extracted an compiled again)
-Modify the "settings" script
-Change the pokemon load script so i don´t get an error (change "14.times" to "15.times")
-I test the game, change the language and load my savegame and nothing changes

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2014
I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but it seems that whenever I use a healing item such as a Potion, Oran Berry, or Ether in the middle of the battle, the battle scene goes black and I'm only able to see the command prompt (Fight, Pokemon, Items, and Run). Here's what happened to me in detail: I got into a battle with a Hoothoot at night, my Cyndaquil was getting low on health, so I decided to use an Oran Berry to heal it. When it took me to the party screen, I clicked on Cyndaquil and he was healed. After that, the screen faded and attempted to go back to the battle scene, but all I saw was a black screen. I could still continue with the battle and end it, but I couldn't see the Pokemon's Sprites, HP or EXP bar, or the background. While using attacks like Tackle or Leer, I could see the sprites flash for a second, then disappear again. I'm no expert when it comes to coding or programming, so I have no idea how to solve this issue. Is there a way to fix this?

I took a screenshot of what I'm seeing.
View attachment 71333

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 11, 2014
I'm using v12...which might be the problem. This is my first time using Essentials, would it be okay if I PM'd you how to update to v13?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
When i try to translate my game, the text doesn´t change. This is what i made:
-Extract text with editor
-Translate the second line of some text in "intl.txt"
-Compile text
-Change "INTL.dat" to "spanish.dat"
-Put "spanish.dat and "english.dat" in "Data" folder. (english.dat is just the text extracted an compiled again)
-Modify the "settings" script
-Change the pokemon load script so i don´t get an error (change "14.times" to "15.times")
-I test the game, change the language and load my savegame and nothing changes
After doing the "15.times" thing, http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8022430&postcount=550 and http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8028274&postcount=556 changes, the translation system is working here.

SoulfulLex

Empiricist-at-Large
Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2019
I apologize if this was already addressed elsewhere, but I've noticed that the HiddenAbility line in pokemon.txt is missing every time the game is compiled. You can look at pokemon.txt yourself and see that the HiddenAbilities for Pokemon that are supposed to have them are missing (i.e. Bulbasaur's Hidden Ability is Chlorophyll. Whenever I try to put the line back [HiddenAbility=CHLOROPHYLL], it always disappears the next time I open pokemon.txt after Compiling). What's even stranger is that when I put the Hidden Ability in via the Editor, the game registers it, but it still doesn't show up in the pokemon.txt file. That and I have no way of knowing if the game will keep the Hidden Abilities when the time comes for me to finish my project.

I even tested this by giving a Pokemon multiple Hidden Abilities according to the wiki, but the same thing happens. Is there a fix for this?

Again, I apologize if the issue's been addressed elsewhere, but I haven't seen any posts about how to keep the HiddenAbility line from disappearing. I wanted to add some Hidden Abilities to some entries.

EDIT: The HiddenAbility lines are erased only if the PBS files are compiled via the External Editor program. They are not erased if they are compiled directly from RMXP.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
When you have the pause menu open and you press the arrows while you have pressed the "run button" it doesn´t move but the sprite of the player changes to the running sprite.

Vod

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2015
I've noticed that if I set a trainertype's pre-battle ME in the PBS file, and the battle begins while the ME is still playing, Essentials will stop playback of the ME and fail to load the battle BGM. This occurs both with midis and mp3s/wavs. If the ME is allowed to play all the way through before the battle begins, such that the regular BGM resumes playing, things will proceed as expected.

I'm not really sure why this occurs, but I can say for sure that it kind of defeats the purpose of having an encounter ME if it stops other music from playing unless it finishes first. Any suggestions?

This is something that apparently only happens with midis because a line was removed a long time ago(2-3 years) and never added back into the script.
Anyways if you want to use midis for trainer intros then find these lines of code in the script "PokemonTrainers"
Code:
  trainer=pbLoadTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)
  if !trainer
    pbMissingTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)
    return false
  end
add "Audio.me_stop" here:
Code:
  trainer=pbLoadTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)
[COLOR="Red"]  Audio.me_stop[/COLOR]
  if !trainer
    pbMissingTrainer(trainerid,trainername,trainerparty)
    return false
  end
That should solve the issue.

EDIT:
The Bug Catching Contest Pokeball glitch was resolved on the wiki. So, I'll remove my method.
And I can't hyperlink yet so yeah. Just copy paste.
pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Bug_Contest:_Ball_is_not_working

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
In the mining minigame, the pick gives hits+=1 and hammer hits+=3. When hits>=49, the wall colapses. I guess that the value for hammer is 2 instead of 3 in DPP. Are you sure that the correct value is 3?

Years
So I upgraded from Essentials V. 12 to V. 13. It works fine, until I go to the main screen where you get to open your save file and all that. Every time I get to that screen, I get this message:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

SpriteWindow:218:in `initialize'

PokemonSprite:113:in `new'

PokemonSprite:113:in `pokemon='

PokemonSprite:99:in `initialize'

PokemonLoad:166:in `new'

PokemonLoad:166:in `pbSetParty'

PokemonLoad:165:in `each'

PokemonLoad:165:in `pbSetParty'

PokemonLoad:317:in `pbStartLoadScreen'

DebugIntro:6:in `main'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\William\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

Help?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 1, 2016
I have two bugs.
1. No spaces between words
postimg .org/image/hnkm0hxn1/
2. When i try to change my Pokemon in battle, first black screen with "Choose a Pokemon" show up and after this battle continues.
postimg .org/image/dd5y4wsjx/

Please help!

Years
Deleting save file apparently doesn't work, it crashes with an error in PokemonLoad at line 227 (@scene.pbStartScene), deleting the line allows you to delete save data but after deleting it or saying no it crashes again

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 29, 2020
Hi all,

Let me say this first:
- I'm not posting this bug to get help because I seem to have solved it.
- I'm posting the bug here because I think it also applies to a clean version of this release, but I did not test that. I am using version 13 for my game though.

Error message:
Spoiler:

Code (line 1440 of PokemonField obviously):
Spoiler:
Cause and trigger:
Spoiler:

Solution code:
Spoiler:

My question is: did I do anything dumb here?

If this also applies to a clean version of essentials, maybe this (minor) change could be in a potential future updated version.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 4, 2014
There are a few bugs with specific attack animations and I somewhat know how to fix them. Apologies if any of these were already reported, I'm too lazy to look through the whole thread.

Fly: When used in battle, Fly's first turn animation and message are skipped and it's as if the attacker doesn't do anything on the turn. The move functions perfectly fine otherwise.
I found that this is because of a faulty animation call code in PokeBattle_MoveEffects in the Essentials script under Fly's function code, near line 4900.
Code:
@battle.pbCommonAnimation("Fly",attacker,[COLOR="Red"]opponent,hitnum,alltargets,showanimation[/COLOR])
I changed it to
Code:
@battle.pbCommonAnimation("Fly",attacker,[COLOR="red"]nil[/COLOR])
After that change it's been working properly for me. I have no idea if this is a proper fix since I don't know anything about scripting, I just copied how other common animation calls were done.

Aerial Ace: I know this has been mentioned before, but whenever an opponent uses Aerial Ace, its sprite temporarily disappears, causing some weird occurrences with the battle system.
Example: I choose Weepinbell to use Stun Spore, but opponent is faster and uses Aerial Ace, which is enough to bring Weepinbell's HP to 0. Opponent's sprite disappears. Weepinbell's fainting animation is skipped and the party window for replacing the fainted Pokémon comes up. I send out Empoleon normally and the opponent reappears, but before the turn ends Empoleon uses the Stun Spore Weepinbell would've used it didn't faint.
Anyway, to the actual problem: the fault is with the attack animation OppMove:AERIALACE. While the opponent's sprite does persist throughout the animation, there is no cel labeled "1" in the final frames of the animation, which is probably why the opponent's sprite disappears after the attack animation.
I fixed it by copying the cel "1" from the earlier frames to all the frames so that it exists throughout the whole attack, although just having it in the last frame might be enough. I had to copy the cel because although they can be renumbered, you can't number the cel 0 or 1 even if 0 or 1 don't already exist for the frame.

Icicle Spear: This is more of a minor nitpick as it's only cosmetic, but might as well report it. Icicle Spear shows wrong animations from second hit onwards because there are no separate entries for Icicle Spear hits 2-5. This would be easily fixed by copying the Icicle Spear animation 4 times and reordering the animations so that the additional hit animations are right after the original animation, but I can't find an easy way to reorder them.

Back