• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 36
  • U.K.
  • Seen Sep 6, 2015
Not a list, and by no means official but the ones I remember are:
* Route 2, right of the bushes
* 2 in Mt Moon, talk to the wall at the end of the long corridor right of the Rocket just before you fight the nerd who gives you a fossil. There's another in the top left corner of the first floor as well
* The basement of the game corner
* And there's one hidden in a pillar in Pokémon Mansion. It's to the right of the entrance I think

There might be more, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head

Thanks what an awesome memory :) I was missing the Hidden Mt. Moon one and the one in Poke mansion.

Question >.<
I have every single pokemon game, and on my yellow version I have all the pokemon, and all are lvl 100. Is there anything else really to do? Cuz i might as well sell it right?

Opinions please :3

That can't be every single pokemon at lvl 100, even pre-evos? Can it???

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • U.K.
  • Seen Sep 6, 2015
How do I get Bulbasaur from Pokemon Yellow? My Pikachu jumps up and down when I talk to it.
But when I talk to the girl in the house with the Bulbasaur, she doesn't give me anything, is there something i'm missing perhaps?

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
How do I get Bulbasaur from Pokemon Yellow? My Pikachu jumps up and down when I talk to it.
But when I talk to the girl in the house with the Bulbasaur, she doesn't give me anything, is there something i'm missing perhaps?

You either have to have a certain badge or your Pikachu has to be at a certain level of happiness.

If you already have the Cascadebadge, try giving your Pikachu loads of Potions to raise its happiness. Should work.

Years
Pikachu has to be extremely happy, to the point where he is waving his hands and what not when you talk to it. Best thing to do is keep it from fainting, beat Misty and then go talk to the lady who has it.

Years
  • Age 36
  • U.K.
  • Seen Sep 6, 2015
You either have to have a certain badge or your Pikachu has to be at a certain level of happiness.

If you already have the Cascadebadge, try giving your Pikachu loads of Potions to raise its happiness. Should work.

I can't give it any potions, it just says, "It wont have any effect".
Hm, that's weird, even though it says it wont have any effect, it seems to have worked.

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
I can't give it any potions, it just says, "It wont have any effect".
Hm, that's weird, even though it says it wont have any effect, it seems to have worked.

Yup, the Yellow Potions/Happiness glitch. For some reason, continually feeding Pikachu potions increases his happiness, even if his HP is already full.

Enjoy your Bulbasaur :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2011
In Gold, I don't know wether to evolve my Slowpoke into a Slowbro or Slowking. Which would make a better addition to a team?

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
In Gold, I don't know wether to evolve my Slowpoke into a Slowbro or Slowking. Which would make a better addition to a team?

Slowking is the more powerful option, surely?

Slowbro is good but i'd have thought if you were going to go for one it would be Slowking.

Years
It depends on what it is you are looking for to add to your team. They both learn the same moves pretty much. The only difference in base stats is that Slowbro has a better defense and Slowking has a better Sp. Defense.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
Years
Question: I have a trading question. Can someone link Color generation games (say blue and Crystal) together using two Gameboy Advances?

Another question. Say I want to trade evolve a pokemon. Would that work using the time capsule? Also what about pokemon from previous generations (like Onyx or Scyther).

Years
Question: I have a trading question. Can someone link Color generation games (say blue and Crystal) together using two Gameboy Advances?

Another question. Say I want to trade evolve a pokemon. Would that work using the time capsule? Also what about pokemon from previous generations (like Onyx or Scyther).

Yes you can trade between crystal and blue. The only catch is, you can't trade Johto pokemon to your blue version. So for example you can't trade Crobat to blue.

Also, say you want to trade a Graveller to your blue version to evolved it into Golem. You can do it, but it can't know any moves from the GSC generation. So if it knows magnitude, you can't trade it.

A little more specific to your question, your Onix or Scyther won't evolve if you trade them to a blue version, because Steelix and Scizor don't exist in RBY. So in that case, you would have to trade them to another GSC game. Graveller, Haunter, Machoke, and Kadabra can all be traded to blue to evolve, though.

Make sense? If the pokemon or any of it's moves don't exist in the RBY generation, you can't trade it to one of those games.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
Years
A little more specific to your question, your Onix or Scyther won't evolve if you trade them to a blue version, because Steelix and Scizor don't exist in RBY. So in that case, you would have to trade them to another GSC game. Graveller, Haunter, Machoke, and Kadabra can all be traded to blue to evolve, though.
Yes it makes sense. But a little more specific. How about if I want to trade a Scyther from Blue to Crystal? Or an Onyx to Crystal. Is it possible for them to evolve into their GSC post evolutions?

EDIT: Also I wanted to know wether you could trade between the GB games using two gameboy advances

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • U.K.
  • Seen Sep 6, 2015
How do you see if your Gen I pokemon are shinys, I think it has something to do with stats, but how specific?

Years
In these games, shininess was determined their IVs or individual values, which in these gens, are values that determine a Pokemon's stats. They range on a scale from 0-15 in each of the stats. In order for a Pokemon to be shiny in these games, their IVs must be the following values:
Attack: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15
Defense: 10
Speed: 10
Special: 10
HP: 0 or 8

To calculate your IVs, refer to the following (because I can't find any better way to explain it :3):

Bulbapedia said:
IVs for all stats except HP can be determined by a player first by determining the maximum and minimum possible stats, then finding how far off the stat on a specific Pokémon happens to be (at level 100). For every two points off from the maximum the stat is, the IV is one lower, meaning one Pokémon with an IV of 0 and another Pokémon of the same species with an IV of 15 in the same stat will have a difference in that stat of 30 points.

For example, Dragonite has a maximum Attack stat of 366 at level 100, and a player has a level 100 Dragonite with 360 Attack. Since the stat is 6 off, the Dragonite's Attack IV is 12.

The IV for HP is different, and is determined by the IVs of the other four stats:

* If a Pokémon has an odd number for its Attack IV, 8 is added to the HP IV.
* If a Pokémon has an odd number for its Defense IV, 4 is added to the HP IV.
* If a Pokémon has an odd number for its Speed IV, 2 is added to the HP IV.
* If a Pokémon has an odd number for its Special IV, 1 is added to the HP IV.

In the same way, the HP IV can range from 0 to 15.

I believe (almost 100% sure) that you can find a list of Pokemon and their max stats at lv. 100 here: http://www.smogon.com/rb/pokemon/ .

Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2011
In crystal, is there any way to deposit a pokemon in the pc, and then use the cloning glitch so that it will appear in the pc when you start a new game? I've gotten the reverse of this to work, but that might be because it loses the save data

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2009
can you trade pokemon between gold and silver without a data transfer cable

i am now just starting to pplay the pokemon on the gameboys i was just wondering

Years
No, the link cable is always necessary for trading between gameboys. However, if you have an N64, Pokemon Stadium 2, and a transfer pak, you can deposit the Pokemon you want to trade from one game into Prof. Oak's box system, switch games, and withdraw for indirect trading. If you have two transfer paks and two N64 controllers, you can trade that way as well.
On a related note, you'll need 150 Pokedex entries if you want withdraw Pokemon deposited from Gen I games (R/B/Y).

Last edited:

The Red Chain

So I started playing Crystal again lately, and I wondering..
What is a good HM slave in GSC?

Edit
; Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back