• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Evo-Yellow - All Pokemon Follow, Evolve Pikachu, catchable 250+ pokemon, alt. Minimalist 151 vers and Eevee/Meowth Starter Versions

If I made a spin-off version with a different 1-evo pokemon starter, which would you want most?

• Meowth (I strongly lean this way because Team Rocket had following Meowth/ kitty is cute.)

Votes: 124 25.9%
  • Magikarp (might be hard to draw emotions... I mean, it's a fish)

Votes: 53 11.1%
  • Vulpix

Votes: 91 19.0%
  • Eevee - with one Happiness evo only, alas; other evos in wild. Rival has other Eevee evo or Pikachu.

Votes: 186 38.8%
  • Other (Light, black, or Pikachu-similar palettes preferred so I don't have to mess with it >_>)

Votes: 25 5.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
EVO-YELLOW

It always really annoyed me you can't evolve Pikachu and catch all 151+ Johto-mons. So time to fix that.
(Note: The Poll is outdated, I've done both Meowth and Eevee versions by now.)

Latest Updates:
I FIGURED OUT THE PATCH CORRUPTION ISSUE. My computer's memory re-write is genuinely corrupted, because it's so old. So if I make a patch with the same name as an old patch it corrupts. The newest Evoyellow ups patch is working, I created a new patch with a completely new name. Eevee and Meowth, use 3.9 vers. x_x The minimalist may or may not be fine because I thiiink I only wrote to it once.

Fixed Brock's Junior Trainer Crash. So sorry for the like, 2 people who saw that for as briefly as it was up.
TMs now display types, or at least most of them do, not all, to make going through them more bearable.
Spikes bug fixed.
Move Deleter Bug fixed. The move deleter now doesn't actually delete moves, instead, you can delete HMs on your own. Be careful - you could get yourself perma-stuck that way!
The latest IPS apparently didn't work, possibly because I shifted too much around or my lunar got corrupted idk. So now it uses UPS, from the program Nups patcher. Or you can just compile. People apparently have been having issues with wavs not getting auto-converted to .pcm files (which your tools prog should be helping with), so you may need to edit out the .wavs; I might try to alter that to make it more friendly for other people later, although since it has always worked for me I can't exactly check if my fix works...

By popular demand, there is now a Github of EvoYellow, and there is also a simpler https://github.com/longlostsoul/pokeyellow-gen-II version with only 151 which is also quite a bit easier because it lacks the AI and item changes. IF you miss the weird typings, check out its sidebranch!

Weird typings should have all been reverted as of 3.6 in the main Evoyellow game, however there can be some alolan typing in the Meowth sidebranch if I remember correctly, or Galar, if you choose Steel Meowth that's a galar typing.

H2dkkU2.png
7PAbwot.png
oKwEbFB.png
ND0H2u8.png
qsVtPBl.png
XolIpEF.png
UYgVLIP.png
EoEE4tL
sVuUQV0.png
HTqmVnn.png
EoEE4tL.png

Raichu Walking Sprite (on evolution!), New multiple-shiny forms!
P2osTYr.png
pikashiny.png
pikashiny2.png
pikashiny3.png
pikashiny4.png
YuTj3tL.png

Features:
+Get any of the 151.
+Eevee as starter in the Eevee version, evolve to Sylveon via happiness (emotion sprite stays eevee for now, still under development, open to the idea of different eevee evolutions here instead). Same for Meowth in Meowth Version.
+Evolve Pikachu into Raichu. (Depending on happiness, emotion sprites will be Pikachu or Raichu; Pikachu can evolve by happiness now!*) Raichu will still follow, and will update its sprite.
*Don't do the potion trick at the start of the game. I made it so that won't work. :P Forgot to mention that earlier, sorry. Battle with Pikachu when Pikachu is happy.
+ Move deletion of HMs
+ New Emotion sprites, Raichu Faces (not all were used, grumpy ones kept pikachu face due to evolving by happiness thing.)
Spoiler:

+Ride a Pokemon with a Saddle.
+Press B to run.
+Play as Boy or Girl (Thanks to Red++). Pokemon have genders too.
+ Level up enough, Pikachu learns Surf. :D Also Raichu learns it from HM too.
+Modified Trainers to make their teams a bit more interesting. Bosses have more pokemon now, like I felt they should. Blaine now has a Rhydon just like in the anime, Brock a Vulpix, etc. If you have a diverse team, or are good with strategy, this doesn't really make things too much harder.
+Pokemon names are decapitalized now.
+ Uber basic hold item system, Leftovers (is also a potion), Full Heal, extremely simple Mega Evolution, and Stones that Change Types.
+ Move Relearner (unfortunately kind of obnoxious, however the one from Red++ didn't seem to like working with the newer moves for some reason in Yellow)
+Multi-Shinies
+ LEVELIZER and NO Cut/Surf HMS NEEDED Openworld MODE, you can toggle it on and off in the options!
+ Improvements to AI as of 3.6. More trainers use type effectiveness, some will heal, and there should be less 'forever status spamming.'
+ As of v3, all pokemon follow!

Pokemon Route Changes: (note: this is outdated)
Spoiler:

Type Changes:
Steel, Dark, Fairy added.
To species: Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Mr. Mime should have been updated. :D There was an older weird typing version so let me know if you see any slip ups in the 3.6 version.
Level up at 50 for the four trades-evolvers, Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, Haunter.

TM Changes
Spoiler:

Move Changes:
Spoiler:

+Added Physical/Special Split.

In addition to the above, more moves have been added, like Fairy Wind, Crunch, Steel Claw. 2.7+ Update: And now, Mirror Coat! 3.6: Spikes (only partially works on switches, but still fun), Splash turned into Rain Dance
2.8: Hidden Power, which is decided by type instead of stats right now, because restarting a million times to get that Hidden Power Grass Pikachu is incredibly annoying.

Minor changes:
Pikachu on level up will evolve into Raichu if she/he has 160 happiness; shortly after the 'fist raised animation' appears, that is. Moon Stone now sold in Celadon, and there are other, brand new Love, Frost, and Sun stones elsewhere.

New Species! see github for list.

Updates:
Spoiler:

Update: Fixed all pokemon over number 201 get interpreted as trainers. So now can have moar mons. However side-effect of my fix is you get lots of empty rows in your pokemon until you fill it all up. :P
DO NOT USE THE IPS HERE, THEY ARE OLD AND OUTDATED and I can't seem to figure out how to remove them any more, wtf. Go look for the ups in the github.

Game Crash Warning: IF you view a lot of TMs at once, sometimes the game crashes, so be sure to occasionally close your bag if after looking at a tm to use, it doesn't reset you back to the top of your bag (Which was my quick fix to stop most of the crashing). This is the same bug that plagued the old move deleter and move rememberer: for some reason, the Yellow game really hates New Moves getting loaded a lot. I don't know why it's finicky about this when Red and Blue aren't, but it might have something to do with the fact Missingno doesn't work well in Yellow either - there are little changes here and there to the engine that mess with things.
Minor Bugs: Some of the new moves don't work /super/ well, so don't expect them to be identical to their actual original versions; consider them more like half baked versions that just increase functionality a bit for fun, hah. Spikes, for instance, doesn't actually work on actual switches, only on 'switch on faint', but enemies almost never actually do switching so that's minor.

Credits: Red++ for some stuff and code I ported over to Yellow, and Danny-E 33's Yellow Gen 2 Sprites Base, Yellow Disassembly.

Attachments

• Evoyellow v3.2.ips
    519.6 KB · Views: 1,787
  • Evo Yellow Eevee Edition (EvoYellow v3.2ish).ips
    529.6 KB · Views: 1,057
Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
If you're finally making Pikachu evolve in Yellow, then how about changing the evolution methods for Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, and Haunter too?

As for Ninetales, I think you should keep it as Fire/Ghost, since it's said to cast curses, which sounds more ghost-like.

Also, how about making Hypno Psychic/Dark, Kingler Water/Steel, Rapidash Fire/Fairy, Electabuzz Electric/Fighting, Magmar Fire/Fighting, and Golduck Water/Psychic?

Years
EVO-YELLOW

Ride a Pokemon with a Saddle. Interestingly, my attempt at adding the girl bike led to 'BANK0 TOO FULL' so, hence riding on a pokemon replaces the bike.

This is quite possibly the most stupidly brilliant thing I've ever read in a Pokemon hack thread.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
If you're finally making Pikachu evolve in Yellow, then how about changing the evolution methods for Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, and Haunter too?

As for Ninetales, I think you should keep it as Fire/Ghost, since it's said to cast curses, which sounds more ghost-like.

Also, how about making Hypno Psychic/Dark, Kingler Water/Steel, Rapidash Fire/Fairy, Electabuzz Electric/Fighting, Magmar Fire/Fighting, and Golduck Water/Psychic?

Those are good suggestions. I will probably implement them. It's nice to have variety in typing - although there are several water/psychics already, so, unsure about Golduck, although it fits the change I made to Ninetales and Marowak so why not.

As an aside, you can actually use TGB dual to evolve and trade in Yellow version. But, that's kind of a pain, isn't it?

classiccartoonsftw

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Those are good suggestions. I will probably implement them. It's nice to have variety in typing - although there are several water/psychics already, so, unsure about Golduck, although it fits the change I made to Ninetales and Marowak so why not.

As an aside, you can actually use TGB dual to evolve and trade in Yellow version. But, that's kind of a pain, isn't it?
Yeah. If I were you, I'd make the trade evolutions evolve either by level, or by using a Moon Stone. Speaking of the Moon Stone, you should make it available at the Department Store, just like all the other evolution stones.

Speaking of Golduck, you could make it into a Water/Psychic type with high physical attack, to set it apart from Slowbro and Starmie. Or you could make Starmie Water/Electric alongside a Water/Psychic Golduck.

Also, could you perhaps make Venusaur learn Sludge by level, and Earthquake by TM?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Yeah. If I were you, I'd make the trade evolutions evolve either by level, or by using a Moon Stone. Speaking of the Moon Stone, you should make it available at the Department Store, just like all the other evolution stones.

Speaking of Golduck, you could make it into a Water/Psychic type with high physical attack, to set it apart from Slowbro and Starmie. Or you could make Starmie Water/Electric alongside a Water/Psychic Golduck.

Also, could you perhaps make Venusaur learn Sludge by level, and Earthquake by TM?

Trades evolutions done by level, all at Lv 50. I also implemented your earlier typing ideas.

New update coming in a minute, as I just figured out how to get pikachu to evolve by happiness, one of my major goals! It went faster than I expected, being that I'm a novice. That just leaves the annoying walking sprite issue, which honestly I'm not sure I can fix at my novice level, although thankfully Nintendo's Pikachu sprite looks pretty good. You can still force evolve pikachu by thunder stone instead if you really want, for those people who cruelly box their pikachu and hate raising its happiness.

Moon Stone being available in shops is a good idea, since it's a 151 hack. I'd forgotten it can be hard to find enough moon stones to evolve all the mons, thanks.
Yeah, I haven't looked at altering TMs yet, but that should be simple. I think I might have already altered Venusaur to have Sludge (like I did a number of poisons) but I'm not sure, need to double check as I forgot. Coulda sworn it already had earthquake but I guess that must be later gen.

I have difficulty seeing Starmie as part electric, but it would be different, give a great new typing (I always loved Lanturn) and definitely make the Misty battle harder, heh; I know putting Thunder on Starmie is a very popular moveset, so it wouldn't be that different in some ways. Although Starmie is one of my favorite psychics, won Pokemon Stadium with her. Losing that STAB would hurt a bit, although STAB thunder on Starmie is nothing to sniff at either.
I think it might also be interesting to have Golduck Water/Dark instead as dark types often learn psychic moves too? Or would that just be counter-intuitive?

I've also made Golem pure rock in latest update; I believe this matches the Alolan form and would give it less weaknesses, although Geodude can stay part ground to add more difficulty against your starter Pikachu.

This is quite possibly the most stupidly brilliant thing I've ever read in a Pokemon hack thread.

While this is the first time this has been implemented in Yellow and any 151 hack to my knowledge, I have to say I think I've seen similar ideas before, so I can't claim to be that brilliant, sorry. It is a shame more hacks don't use it, though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Cute Raichu sprite!

You and I had some of the same ideas for retypings. If you make Starmie Water/Electric, I'd suggest leaving Golduck Water/Psychic to compensate. For more Dark types, how about Alolan Poison/Dark Muk? Also, Alolan Golem is Rock/Electric, and Alolan Dugtrio is Rock/Steel.

Will you add new-gen evolutions like Kingdra and Scizor?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Cute Raichu sprite!

You and I had some of the same ideas for retypings. If you make Starmie Water/Electric, I'd suggest leaving Golduck Water/Psychic to compensate. For more Dark types, how about Alolan Poison/Dark Muk? Also, Alolan Golem is Rock/Electric, and Alolan Dugtrio is Rock/Steel.

Will you add new-gen evolutions like Kingdra and Scizor?
Ooh, I could have sworn I heard Alolan Golem was pure rock, my bad! Rock/Electric is definitely interesting. I'm not sure about making Dugtrio Rock/Steel; I already made Onix that, and we'd be left without any pure ground types.

And yeah, I made Arbok part dark when I should have made Muk part dark to match the Alolan. :P There's already a poison/dark in my game, I just made the wrong one dark because I wasn't paying attention, heh. I guess there is a good variety of dark types, three isn't too bad.
And okay, I guess I'll go with Starmie Water/Electric and Golduck Water/Psychic.

I'd love to add new gens, but that's hard because of the BANK0 full issue meaning the existing code from Red cannot just be ported over to dynamically load sprite banks - the code makes the bank too big, you see, and I haven't figured out how to get around that yet. The issue is not that sprites can't be added, there's still space; it's just that they load all messed up and looking like missingno. Maybe a more experienced ASM hacker could weigh in? I'm pondering if maybe I could sacrifice the two fossil sprites, since they load correctly and have a Missingno, I think. That would grant two new pokemon. Which should it be? I'm leaning Houndour line or Togepi because Togepi I feel should have been in Yellow like the anime, but Houndour is damn cool. :P

I did, as compensation for lack of new pokemon, give Scyther, Onix and Seadra the same typings as their evolved forms. Since Scyther has same stats as Scizor I think, that makes it pretty much identical, imo.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
My experience is with pokecrystal, not pokered/pokeyellow, but in general you should be able to move sections of code to another bank as long as they don't depend on anything in their old bank. (This means in pokecrystal that if routine A "call"s routine B, you should either keep them in the same bank or change it to a "farcall". I don't know the details of pokeyellow; maybe Crystal_ or Mateo can help?)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
That sounds like it should work. My first attempt at moving stuff around didn't work, but I bet it depended on something in that bank. Thanks.

Hmm, no, farcall doesn't seem to exist. Everything else in that bank seems to depend on each other. So, no new pokes for now.

edit:

OK, so, the Gen 2 Graphics Patch has it. And much nicer sprites, although I prefer Pikachu's Yellow Sprite tbh which is why I didn't use it before, but I could just copy it back. I think what I may do is restart over to Gen 2 Patch (or at least copy over its changes in bank0, although if I'm doing that I may as well update the whole thing). :/ Then I think I can do extra pokemon species. Pain in the rump, but okay-doke. As long as I remember where I made all my changes won't be that hard to just copy them, I guess, not like I have to actually redo.

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Ooh, I could have sworn I heard Alolan Golem was pure rock, my bad! Rock/Electric is definitely interesting. I'm not sure about making Dugtrio Rock/Steel; I already made Onix that, and we'd be left without any pure ground types.
Did you make Onix Rock/Steel? You said in the OP that you made it Ground/Steel. If I were you, I'd make Onix Rock/Steel, and make Dugtrio Ground/Steel.

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Some good ideas in this. Have stats or move pools been changed? Would you consider making a harder version?

classiccartoonsftw

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
So you finally managed to add new Pokemon, didn't you? Could you perhaps add Marill, Azumarill, Crobat, Porygon2, Porygon-Z, Tangrowth, Lickilicky, Magnezone, Kingdra, and Blissey as well?

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Pikachu Does not evolve through happiness, even though the OP says it does. I used the Potion at full health trick to get it to maximum happiness, leveled it up, and nothing. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or what?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Pikachu Does not evolve through happiness, even though the OP says it does. I used the Potion at full health trick to get it to maximum happiness, leveled it up, and nothing. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or what?
Oh, sorry, I made it so that trick wouldn't work. You do have to level it up some first. I did that so you wouldn't start the game with a Raichu. My bad. Get it past level 16 and /then/ you can do the potion hax if you really want to.

edit: Um I could remove the level requirement entirely if people want. It's just that without potion haxxing there's no normal way you'd have gotten a completely happy pikachu by the very beginning of the game so it's a little bit of a cheat.

Some good ideas in this. Have stats or move pools been changed? Would you consider making a harder version?
Yes, move pools have been improved, for instance I wrote that Golduck learns Psychic eventually now, and a lot of poisons have been given Sludge. No stats have been changed.
I've been making the game a bit tougher, I'd have to complete a run through of the game to see how much more difficult that makes it before making an even harder version, I think, heh. But yeah, I'd consider it,

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
So you finally managed to add new Pokemon, didn't you? Could you perhaps add Marill, Azumarill, Crobat, Porygon2, Porygon-Z, Tangrowth, Lickilicky, Magnezone, Kingdra, and Blissey as well?
Updated! I've added a lot of those, except Marill and Azumarill, and Porygon-Z. I guess I can put them on the to-do list. :3 I was planning on doing a bunch of Johto pokes anyway. I don't entirely like Porygon-Z because it feels redundant but if you really want.

Oh, and previous version had bugged up stones, so I definitely recommend switching to the newer version if you want to enjoy new pokemonz.

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Oh, sorry, I made it so that trick wouldn't work. You do have to level it up some first. I did that so you wouldn't start the game with a Raichu. My bad. Get it past level 16 and /then/ you can do the potion hax if you really want to.

edit: Um I could remove the level requirement entirely if people want. It's just that without potion haxxing there's no normal way you'd have gotten a completely happy pikachu by the very beginning of the game so it's a little bit of a cheat.

Actually, you can easily get a fully happy Pikachu, or any Pokemon for that matter, by abusing the Turbo button, and running back and forth, so it's still extremely simple to raise happiness up to the maximum. I'd say keep the level requirement, it makes it harder to break the early game that way. Besides evolving, the happiness is required for getting Bulbasaur, thus why people would even invest in the potion hax, so that they could have no problems getting said Bulbasaur.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Actually, you can easily get a fully happy Pikachu, or any Pokemon for that matter, by abusing the Turbo button, and running back and forth, so it's still extremely simple to raise happiness up to the maximum. I'd say keep the level requirement, it makes it harder to break the early game that way. Besides evolving, the happiness is required for getting Bulbasaur, thus why people would even invest in the potion hax, so that they could have no problems getting said Bulbasaur.

Ah. I've never had any problems getting Bulbasaur by that point in the game, I guess I don't tend to notice that because I usually keep my Pikachu happy. And yeah, I do like having /some/ difficulty in the beginning. Perhaps I'll code some alternate way of getting Bulbasaur so people won't resort to potion hax for anything, although I do kind of like that you get a reward for a happy chu.

I'm pretty sure only Pikachu has happiness in Yellow. But maybe you were referring to later gens.

Back