• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

256/240 color Titlescreen (Firered)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
256/240 color Titlescreen (FireRed)

Tools used/required:
-NLZ-GBA Advance (for importing the big titlescreen image when done)
-UNZL-GBA
-APE
-NTME
-Irfanview (used for indexing and for the palette)
-FSF (Free Space Finder)

Step 1 – Preparing the titlescreen image

We start with making a full titlescreen image,
a full titlescreen image is the titlescreen with everything on it.
The pokemon, the logo, the press start button and the background.
This is a full titlescreen image:

6neh.png

See that's a "full titlescreen image", for those who still didn't get what I was saying.
Make sure the image is not bigger then 240×160 if it is crop it to size.

Step 2 – Indexing the titlescreen image

Now we have to index the image you can do this by opening the image in irfanview.
Then go to the menu in irfanview.
Go to image -> decrease color depth
Then uncheck floyd dithering and set colors to 239.
You should get this:

p6ws.png

Next while your still in irfanview go to image -> palette -> the edit palette.
edit the first color to a bright color by double clicking it.

gzcx.png

Then go to image -> palette -> the export palette.
And save the palette.
Then save your image with a different name then your unindexed image. Next open the unindexed image and the indexed image in paint. Copy and paste the unindexed image on to the indexed image and hit save.

Note, the modern version of Paint distributed in Windows 7 does no longer support indexed files. If you use this version, please find an alternative.

Step 3 – Importing the palette to the ROM

Open up your ROM in APE and then go to offset 00EAB6C4.
Then go to Edit -> Adjusted palette -> import
Import the palette you saved in step 2.

Then hit replace next go to offset 00EAB6E4 then click the > arrow in the most down index like shown in this screenshot:

f7p3.png

Then go on like that and hit replace until you had all 16 indexes.

Here are the offsets and which index they use of the palette you imported.
Quote:
00EAB6C4 – Index 1
00EAB6E4 – Index 2
00EAB704 – Index 3
00EAB724 – Index 4
00EAB744 – Index 5
00EAB764 – Index 6
00EAB784 – Index 7
00EAB7A4 – Index 8
00EAB7C4 – Index 9
00EAB7E4 – Index 10
00EAB804 – Index 11
00EAB824 – Index 12
00EAB844 – Index 13
00EAD5E8 – Index 14
00EAE094 – Index 15

Step 4 – Importing the image to the rom

First open unzl.gba en load your rom then go to 2009 or 2010 somewhere around that is your Pokemon logo image it should look like this:

1yh7.png

Then copy the image offset in my case (00EAB8C4).
Next open NLZ-GBA Advance and load your rom.
Then go to offset 00EAB8C4 click it on 256 colors then click import bitmap.
Then this popup should appear:

731w.png

I choose the offset to repoint to 800000 since I don't know how much bytes I need for the titlescreen.
This is because the normal of way of checking this through unzl.gba does not work as it crashes unzl.gba.
When you clicked ok you should get a message that states that the image is repointed.
Next click write to ROM and then close the program.

Step 5 – Making the raw

Open NTME then click File -> open tileset select the image you saved at step 2 the indexed image.
Next in the tilemap area make sure you set the preset size to FR/LG TS.
Next in the tile selection menu click on the + for width and height until you have the whole image this way you spare a lot of time making the raw.
It will look like this:

wozi.png

Then go to the menu again and click File -> save tilemap and save it as a raw.

Step 6 – Importing the raw

Next open unzl.gba and load your rom go to the location where the pokemon logo was 2009/2010,
then go 1 image further so 2010/2011 then click on file -> load raw and write that to your ROM.
It should give you an error as your tilemap size is to big.

ugym.png

Note the compressed size is: 564.
This shows how many bytes it needs to be written to the ROM.
Now open FSF (Free Space Finder) open your ROM through file -> open ROM.
Then select search from offset 700000 and type the 564 in the hex field it will show 1380 in the dec field this is the number of bytes it needs.
Next type that number in needed bytes and click search it will show it to you like this:

xezj.png

So now write that offset down/copy it.
And go back to unzl.gba to the raw image on number 2011 in 16 colors then load your raw again and this time repoint the image to the offset FSF gave you.

Step 7 – Removing blinking and blocks

I included a zip file with all replacement images.

To remove the blinking you have to go to unzl.gba and open your rom.
Then go to offset 140 in 16 colors look around there for the flames if you find them hit 1 time the previous button so that you will see this image:

Save that image and then open it in paint. Turn the whole image to the transparent color so in this case the blue.
Make sure when you save it that it's indexed. Or you can use my indexed image and import it through unzl.gba the image file name is: "blinking image.png"

Next go to the charizard image around 2010, save the image and then make it 1px in both height and width with only the transparent color.
Make sure when you save it that it's indexed. Or use my included indexed image called: "transparent.png"

Next go to the image after charizard and import the transparent image this will make the animation before the titlescreen be black with just a blinking bar that goes through it else you would have wierd kind of blocks there.

Then go to the press start gamefreak image which is around 2012 save the image and then make it 1px in both height and width with only the transparent color.
Make sure when you save it that it's indexed. Or use my included indexed image called: "transparent.png"

Next go to the image after the gamefreak image and import the transparent image this will make the animation before the titlescreen be black with just a blinking bar that goes through it else you would have wierd kind of blocks there.

Once you've done all this your titlescreen should work completely have fun!

Credits Tutorial

- Horus/Seth/Black Charizard(.) (Me ;p)
- WilliamGJ (For his tutorial on how to make a 256 color titlescreen from which I have built upon)
- X-Buster (For helping with researching some parts)

Tutorial Files

Click Here!

Last edited:

Orangturttle

Magikarp MASTER!
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Ehh, I don't know if I did something wrong.. But I get this weird screen, which is the normal screen, just with messed up parts of it, it doesn't look like it combines both of them, like the Charizard Picture and the Picture I made, but it's really weird looking.
And I don't know If I just misplaced it, but, where is the files, you include? like, the .raw files and the indexed images.. And I got confused in the 7th step.
" Next go to the image after charizard and click raw dump. Open it in NTME with the titlescreen tileset, make the whole image the transparent tile. Or just import the raw I included called: raw2011.raw"
On the NTME it's saying it doesn't support Raw Files.. So what should I do?

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
This means we can make anything have more than 16 colors? Nice titlescreen!

KyotoTushoni

Veteran Trainer/Beginner Hack
Years
This is a good tut. My only problem with it is that you do lose a lot of creativity with it...I mean there is absolutely no layering, so its very easy. But you do get more colors out of it I suppose.

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2010
Next go to the image after charizard and click raw dump. Open it in NTME with the titlescreen tileset, make the whole image the transparent tile. Or just import the raw I included called: raw2011.raw
I also dont understand this.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
Wow, great tutorial. I just dont understand one thing.It's the NLZ-GBA part "Import a bitmap....of what?"

You click on import bitmap and then select the titlescreen image you want in the rom this is because unzl.gba chrashes when trying to write it to the rom.

Ehh, I don't know if I did something wrong.. But I get this weird screen, which is the normal screen, just with messed up parts of it, it doesn't look like it combines both of them, like the Charizard Picture and the Picture I made, but it's really weird looking.
And I don't know If I just misplaced it, but, where is the files, you include? like, the .raw files and the indexed images.. And I got confused in the 7th step.
" Next go to the image after charizard and click raw dump. Open it in NTME with the titlescreen tileset, make the whole image the transparent tile. Or just import the raw I included called: raw2011.raw"
On the NTME it's saying it doesn't support Raw Files.. So what should I do?

The image next to the charizard is the one after you hit the raw dump button on that image then go to NTME click open tileset select your titlescreen and then open that saved raw. or you can use the image raw2011.raw I included.

King Koopa

The Dark Spriter >>>>
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2012
What font is used for the "press start" >_< I want to make one in photoshop just for fun

KyotoTushoni

Veteran Trainer/Beginner Hack
Years
What font is used for the "press start" >_< I want to make one in photoshop just for fun
Its not a specific Font, Its custom for the screen. If you want you could just screenshot FR/LG and pull the "press start" off the screenshot. Or you can just make your own with some other font that looks decent.

stinger123

I wish to learn .!PKM HACKING!
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
Would it work for ruby?

I've read the rules and i think its is fine to post this!
Sorry if this is a bit OFF TOPIC.
Hey would this work for ruby? I know it says fire red but I've made a title screen and I've forgot about keeping 16 colors only in my mind. I don't want to redo it because it took me AGES and its my first title screen. Also if i put it in 16 colors it is going to look horrible :(. I've checked ruby tutorials on youtube and they all say different things, on other websites and they say very little explanation and about put it in tiles or something. I've checked the tutorial on poke community for title screen editing for ruby but I don't think it would work because I got a few objects dotted around. May I please try this method for ruby just it case it saves me because my title screen is more than 16 colors.
Thanks in advance :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
I've read the rules and i think its is fine to post this!
Sorry if this is a bit OFF TOPIC.
Hey would this work for ruby? I know it says fire red but I've made a title screen and I've forgot about keeping 16 colors only in my mind. I don't want to redo it because it took me AGES and its my first title screen. Also if i put it in 16 colors it is going to look horrible :(. I've checked ruby tutorials on youtube and they all say different things, on other websites and they say very little explanation and about put it in tiles or something. I've checked the tutorial on poke community for title screen editing for ruby but I don't think it would work because I got a few objects dotted around. May I please try this method for ruby just it case it saves me because my title screen is more than 16 colors.
Thanks in advance :)

it's possible in the same kind of way for ruby but with different pallete offsets and different unzl.gba numbers I still need find the raw for the titlescreen for ruby.

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
it's possible in the same kind of way for ruby but with different pallete offsets and different unzl.gba numbers I still need find the raw for the titlescreen for ruby.

Thanks for replying :). Since i've just become a hacker in scripting and raw stuff and yeah yesterday I dont know what you mean by raw :P I just follow tutorials :D. Anyways so its possible with ruby even 256 colors? But with different offsets and stuff. Is it hard to find the 'raw' for ruby because I can wait as long as you need, no rush. :) By the way I think I know the unlz - gba numbers for ruby (titlescreen bit) Number 78 or 79 for the whole titlescreen to replace without title and press start and bit later on there is the font and the roms name to replace.

ดูดดื่ม

Hello! Im from Thailand.
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2011
Thank you so much.

Thanks for replying :). Since i've just become a hacker in scripting and raw stuff and yeah yesterday I dont know what you mean by raw :P I just follow tutorials :D. Anyways so its possible with ruby even 256 colors? But with different offsets and stuff. Is it hard to find the 'raw' for ruby because I can wait as long as you need, no rush. :) By the way I think I know the unlz - gba numbers for ruby (titlescreen bit) Number 78 or 79 for the whole titlescreen to replace without title and press start and bit later on there is the font and the roms name to replace.

I am interested as well.
If the emerald is great with it.
*I may be strange expressions. Because I used google to translate.
My English is not strength. (*๓*)

stinger123

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2010
I saw a another tutorial like this one and this person also said that he wash trying to find the offsets and stuff for ruby as well.
OFF TOPIC:
Thank you so much.
Eh? Who you saying to and why?
Are you a beginner at this scripting stuff and hacking because then your on the same level as me :)
Anyways what is you original language? :)

EDIT: Check your PM ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2016
that a good tutorial
I really like is a great contribution
thanks

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Pre-insertion:

Sweet.png

Result:

Hmm.png

Comments:

Alright, I followed every step exactly as written, and I have now attempted this two times. For whatever reason my rom just does not want this to work for me... Both times I have had this result and I am not sure why. In NLZ-GBA after each time that I write my new image to the rom. I check its new offset and the image is screwed up. I know I made tilemap right at 32x20, the TS standard. It's an indexed images as you can tell by the result. Everything should be good. But it's not.

N.D.

Cossack
Years
Alright, I followed every step exactly as written, and I have now attempted this two times. For whatever reason my rom just does not want this to work for me... Both times I have had this result and I am not sure why. In NLZ-GBA after each time that I write my new image to the rom. I check its new offset and the image is screwed up. I know I made tilemap right at 32x20, the TS standard. It's an indexed images as you can tell by the result. Everything should be good. But it's not.
I'm also have this problem.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
Pre-insertion:

Sweet.png

Result:

Hmm.png

Comments:

Hello teh panda I did it for you with the indexed image and there are no issues here:

whatlol.png

So get on msn soon so we can talk and discuss what you did wrong.

Back