• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Latios or Latias?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
200px-Eon_duo_Adventures.png

These two dragons are legends that you can encounter in R/S/E as roaming Pokemon on lv.45. In Sapphire, you encounter Latias, whereas in Ruby, you encounter Latios. Which of the two did you prefer? How long did it take you to capture them? Additionally, which of the two did you select in Emerald after defeating the Elite Four?

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
Years
I personally preferred Latias. I can't deny that I prefer simpy because I grew up with Sapphire though.
Growing up, I never caught it, heh. I found it maybe twice throughout my original file? It was so elusive to me, so I thought it was just the coolest thing.

Erm... I think you can get them both in Emerald? It's been a long time since I've really played my copy of Emerald, so I can't really be too sure...

Kartanaheart

Origami King
Years
Dang..hard one.

I'd say I prefer Latias, I don't know why. I'm usually all for tough looking Pokemon over the conventionally cute ones, but Latias just has this appeal over it that I can't explain.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Boo, never could catch the buggers. I prefer Latios, though.

Years
I initially liked Latios better because it's blue, but over time I learned to love Latias as well especially with having the cuter eyes of the two. I now put them as equal faves since they both have good qualities.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
When I was younger, I preferred Latias purely because I got Sapphire first of the two games. But over the years, I started preferring Latios literally only because of his shiny color, haha. I really love that seafoam green... That's such a stupid reason to prefer one over the other, but god. It's so pretty okay.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I always preferred Latias because it's red, but nowadays I like Latios more because it feels like a better Pok?mon stat-wise...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I always absolutely loved Latias, and she's still one of my favorite Pokemon - maybe even my #1!

Part of that preference is aesthetic, as I love her design and her red and white color scheme. Another part of my preference is probably owed to the fact that I played Sapphire before Ruby, and thus whichever Eon I encountered first would take precedence. Like the third generation as a whole, the Eons to me represent exploration and the vastness of the world, which I love - Latias seems to represent it more for me solely because I saw her first.

Another facet to that, though, is using them; what Latias lacks in offensive capability she makes up for in diversity of abilities. To use her properly, you have to really think about how you're using her moves and capabilities and how she fits on a team. Her lack of offensive raw power means that using her requires a more intellectual and nuanced approach, and I kind of like that.

Catching each was always a challenge, but I did it, and I made sure to choose Latias in Emerald most of the time.

Last edited:
Years
I can't choose between Latios and Latias. Its a win-win situation! Latios is the dragon twin I usually get, but it doesn't matter which one it is- I know I will be happy. Watching the Pokemon 5th movie 4 or 5 times makes me really care about both of them as characters, sweet, whimsical Latias and courageous, serious Latios.

Latios was a piece of cake in the original Hoenn games because I had saved my master ball just for him! However, Soul Silver proved very hard because my master ball had long been used on the legendary dogs by the time you can encounter Latios. To complicate the situation further I ran into Latios taken completely off gaurd as I was surfing back from capturing Articuno. I was low on pokeballs, my team level was to high for Latios and moves geared towards whittling down the health of a stationary legendary, rather than trapping a roamer. My HM slave, a dewgong with whirlpool was able to save the day :)

LUXIOtheBEST

*Luxio//Hacks*'s New Account
Years
Personally, I would have to go with Latios. This is because even though that Latias has Sp Def and may survive longer. But Latios does have higher Sp Atk and loving the move called Luster Purge. Plus I love its design.

Back