• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Masterquest (BETA 2 December 2020)

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023

DECEMBER 2020 UPDATE: NOT SURE HOW FAR THIS HACK WILL GO BUT SHARING A NEW BETA (SEE BETA 2 ATTACHMENT) WHICH BRINGS YOU TO CELADON CITY, ALL EVENTS COMPLETED

Masterquest

Welcome to the world of Kanto. A region full of excitement, and adventure. Travel throughout the land, while catching mysterious creatures called Pok�mon. To become successful, you will have to battle many trainers who raise these fantastic beasts.

Hello, we are team Masterquest. A few hackers who have collaborated over the years to bring you this new adventure. The Kanto Region is not unknown to the majority of us. However, the game Master Quest brings you a fresh viewpoint of the 20-year-old fan favorite. From the screenshots shown below, you can see Master Quest is filled with new scripts, interactions, dialogue, and trainers who will fight you along the way. As you, the player, partake in this adventure, you might find most of these events are based on the show/anime. And if you made this assumption, you would be correct! The inspiration behind this game came from the anime, but in addition to this-there are some story plot points added for additional excitement. Master Quest also features a decision based mechanism where your actions and choices will have a direct impact on the story that unfolds.

Play alongside Eve Green, Bonnie Amarillo, Alan Rouge, and other individuals as you make your way through the Kanto Region. Battle old rivals, and new heroes alike, as you complete your master quest!

Additional notes: Depending on the progress of the hack, it may also feature more than one region.

Features:
  • Expanded story
  • Potential additional regions
  • New rivals
  • A unique starter
  • Good/Evil choice decision making system

Tools used in the making of this game include:
  • Advanced Sprite Position Editor
  • Advance Map
  • NSE (Nameless Sprite Editor)
  • Unnamed Trainer Editor
  • Yape
  • Move Editor
  • Pksvui
  • Unlz
  • XSE

Releases:

August 12, 2018 Beta -The original release of this game.
December 2 2020 - Beta 2 - Up to Celadon City

Attachments

• Pokemon -Masterquest.ips
    688.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Pokemon -Masterquest Beta 2.ips
    755.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Pokemon -Masterquest.png
    Pokemon -Masterquest.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Pokemon -Masterquest2.png
    Pokemon -Masterquest2.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Pokemon -Masterquest3.png
    Pokemon -Masterquest3.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Pokemon -Masterquest4.png
    Pokemon -Masterquest4.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Pokemon -Masterquest5.png
    Pokemon -Masterquest5.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Pokemon -Masterquest8.png
    Pokemon -Masterquest8.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 52
  • pokemon-masterquest-7.png
    pokemon-masterquest-7.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 24
  • pokemon-masterquest-5.png
    pokemon-masterquest-5.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Pokemon -Masterquest7.png
    Pokemon -Masterquest7.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
tell me is this complete or it has a progression?

Hi, nope not complete yet. This is a beta that will take you until Lavender Town.

Also some other things to note

1. Trainer levels after Viridian City are on par with highest level in your party which gives incentive to raise the team evenly.
2. Gym leaders will always be 4 levels higher than your strongest party member
3. Area north of Route 3 is not passable as the area remains unfinished (will be sure to block it off in the next Beta)

Hope this helps

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
Years
This game is really interesting. And in a good way. I started playing this not that long ago and I like it so far. And I do like the addition to the good/evil alignment system because something like that could make the story more interesting and it gives us an option to be good or evil. And you also don't see that in a lot of rom hacks. Keep up the good work.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
This game is really interesting. And in a good way. I started playing this not that long ago and I like it so far. And I do like the addition to the good/evil alignment system because something like that could make the story more interesting and it gives us an option to be good or evil. And you also don't see that in a lot of rom hacks. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Appreciate it!

The moral decisions kick in after Cerulean City. We give the players a bit of time to get used to the game's mechanics. Also FYI gym challenges are optional. We're trying to give an open world experience to the players (with the limited space) to just go on a journey and explore.

MQ

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Congrats mq on getting this on the site. I know you worked long and hard on it.

Couldn't have done it without you! Thanks for all your help with the hack and the encouragement. Look forward to continuing our work for Beta 2.

MQ

Last edited:
Years
I started playing and found some minor issues:

Pallet Town:
Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_02.png

Minor cutoff.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_04.png

The text glitched (overflowed) here.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_06.png

*instructions.

Route 1:
textbox.gif

This text box shows the "press button" arrow but it either closes or blanks out when you press a button.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_08.png

*natural.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_09.png

Tree cutoff.

Viridian City:
Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_10.png

*practice.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_11.png

The Pokémon Center's roof looks slightly weird.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_12.png

The circled tiles are solid. You can't walk on them.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 17, 2023
Forgot to read the Notes because i didnt realise that the trainer pokemon lvl was the same as mine XD so a little more difficulty but love the hack anyways

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I started playing and found some minor issues:

Pallet Town:
Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_02.png

Minor cutoff.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_04.png

The text glitched (overflowed) here.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_06.png

*instructions.

Route 1:
textbox.gif

This text box shows the "press button" arrow but it either closes or blanks out when you press a button.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_08.png

*natural.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_09.png

Tree cutoff.

Viridian City:
Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_10.png

*practice.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_11.png

The Pokémon Center's roof looks slightly weird.

Pokemon_Masterquest_Beta_1_12.png

The circled tiles are solid. You can't walk on them.

All addressed, thank you!
Keep em coming please, greatly appreciate it.

MQ

Forgot to read the Notes because i didnt realise that the trainer pokemon lvl was the same as mine XD so a little more difficulty but love the hack anyways

Yup, my bad for not posting it in the intro! Best of luck!

MQ

Last edited:

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
This looks absolutely gorgeous! Played a bit of it so far and I love it already. I really hope this gets completed. Good luck!

Thanks, that means a lot :)

This has been in the works since 4-5 years ago, off and on. Since a lot of the scripting in the earlier parts of the game (up to Cerulean City) was done in 2013/14 one of the concerns is grammatical and tile errors so please do let us know if you spot anything

Thanks!

MQ

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 18, 2019
very impressive hack, I love the new cites that are around kanto, I was wondering you consider making the new cities like kingdom hearts where there from another show or movie. domino, hyrule, mushroom kingdom, etc etc, like the gym challenges, the pace of the game is really great. you guys thought it through very well. keep it up guys! pikchu early thunderbolt instead of volt tackle?

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
very impressive hack, I love the new cites that are around kanto, I was wondering you consider making the new cities like kingdom hearts where there from another show or movie. domino, hyrule, mushroom kingdom, etc etc, like the gym challenges, the pace of the game is really great. you guys thought it through very well. keep it up guys! pikchu early thunderbolt instead of volt tackle?

Thanks! Appreciate it!

The additional cities included are all Anime inclusive cities. Tentatively there maybe 4 in total for Kanto. Other regions are still being planned.

Thunderbolt and Electroball are both moves that Pikachu can learn later in the game.

Additional information:
1. All 151 Kanto Pokemon can be found in the wild (Lengendaries still being worked out)
2. No more trade evolution
3. Seeking views on whether Pokemon used in the museum should be nerfed

MQ

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Man I love this beta so much!... To list All the things I like about it would take up half a full page!

Eventhough I'm playing this game as a beta tester, it has not taken anything away from the richness of this game at all!!
.... the colorful storylines, the difficulty curves, seeing some of my old poke favorites from 1st gen.. in 3rd gen gaming with their old school battle sprites i missed so much!.. the multiple rivals.. the additional content you can play in it... the nicely done the kanto remapping, makes it so fresh!
..... Even for playing a beta that's rough around the edges, this game is Awesome!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 19, 2020
Well just started and I wasn't able to nickname my starter for some reason, I clicked yes and it acted like a clicked no.

Also just a question but will there be a physical Special Split in the future? (If it doesn't already and just not showing like in other hacks) A lot of mons I like to use a useless in gen 3 setting but I don't really mind if you don't plan on putting it in.

Back