• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 19, 2018
Heyo, recently I've started mapping but I've never really got very far with my maps.
This is one of the first ones I've completed. Since this is one of my first maps I would love some constructive-criticism on it so I can improve on my mapping abilities.
If you like the map and would like someone to map for your game feel free to message me. :)
Spoiler:

Thanks! :D (Also I don't know how to get pictures to work so just right click on the thingy inside the spoilers and click open in new tab. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
Heyo, recently I've started mapping but I've never really got very far with my maps.
This is one of the first ones I've completed. Since this is one of my first maps I would love some constructive-criticism on it so I can improve on my mapping abilities.
If you like the map and would like someone to map for your game feel free to message me. :)
Spoiler:

Thanks! :D (Also I don't know how to get pictures to work so just right click on the thingy inside the spoilers and click open in new tab. :)
There isn't anything in there, or not as far as my browser can tell.

Kyther

Pokemon Freedom Developer
Years
Spoiler:

My only nitpick with it is that though I really like the different variations of trees, you have them in straight lines. Mainly visible (though wouldn't be in game) at the bottom of the map. Having them in those straight lines like that looks weird. Otherwise, I do really like the map. Its flow is great and a very good use of space.

Also, for displaying the image you want to right click the image and copy image address. Using the address bar doesn't work, though depending on the site I could be wrong. Anyway, all you were missing was the ".png" after the link. I put the example below, and also fixed your image in my post.
HTML:
[IMG]https://gyazo.com/c43e97899980eb8a717becce236f0fff.png[/IMG]

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 19, 2018
My only nitpick with it is that though I really like the different variations of trees, you have them in straight lines. Mainly visible (though wouldn't be in game) at the bottom of the map. Having them in those straight lines like that looks weird. Otherwise, I do really like the map. Its flow is great and a very good use of space.

Also, for displaying the image you want to right click the image and copy image address. Using the address bar doesn't work, though depending on the site I could be wrong. Anyway, all you were missing was the ".png" after the link. I put the example below, and also fixed your image in my post.
HTML:
[IMG]https://gyazo.com/c43e97899980eb8a717becce236f0fff.png[/IMG]

Heyo, thanks for your insight on the map. I only started mapping a couple weeks ago. Anyway I felt it was a tad to big for a first town and didn't work well on a small window. So I made a second version. Opinions on this one? :) (I'm currently recolouring some of those trees to add in)
5f180dc62eb4c3c9e152dd9241040d78.png

Kyther

Pokemon Freedom Developer
Years
Heyo, thanks for your insight on the map. I only started mapping a couple weeks ago. Anyway I felt it was a tad to big for a first town and didn't work well on a small window. So I made a second version. Opinions on this one? :) (I'm currently recolouring some of those trees to add in)
5f180dc62eb4c3c9e152dd9241040d78.png

Still looking awesome! A couple of tile errors (no shadow under left house, and water edge under top left bridge should be a straight line), to which you my have already noticed. Didn't notice them too much in the previous one since it matched better, but maybe you could tone down the amount of rocks in the water. Just seems like there are too many for the space, just my opinion on that.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
A new map? From Derxwna? Surely you jest!
Let's skip the formalities and go straight to the map and description:
Spoiler:

I built the Lake of Rage for F&P based off the gen 4 design, however I decided to stylize it differently. I didn't like the N/S downward stairs because they always looked odd in the Gen 3 environment. I also changed the trees up a bit to reflect a slight design change. The house at the top is also always accessible now. I think the map turned out alright! Much better than my old draft, that's for sure.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
5nixj3D.png

This is the starting town of my new fangame, it's just a mockup i really want to get some feedback on my maps before i finalise them.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Haven't posted a map in a while, but here's a very, very small little cave area I put together, mainly just to test tiles. Not sure about the borders or the rocks on the borders - personally I feel they add some extra depth and interest, but I suppose they're not necessary. The entrance / exit I'm not totally happy with either, but I'm not entirely sure how I'd change it.

Small%20Cave_zpsu0w1qraa.png

Does everything look alright here? Should probably point out that the single wall at the bottom is intentional, it looked far better than stacking them like the top and side ones. Any feedback would be appreciated!

- - - - - - - -
This is the starting town of my new fangame, it's just a mockup i really want to get some feedback on my maps before i finalise them.
It's a pretty nice map - my only real criticism would be that it's probably too big, meaning there's a lot of empty space. There's lots of long paths and open areas that aren't 100% necessary, and would slow down gameplay and serve no real purpose. Maybe condense it a little? The same layout would be totally possible, just smaller and closer together.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Hey @TheCliffStudios, I'd rate your starting town an 8/10. I think the town is a little bit too straight. The hills are straight lines (which could indeed be human-made), but I think it looks a little bit boring. Then the lantern placement looks a little odd in my opinion. The sand path looks a bit lame too, you should either make it a real path and connect it to the main gravel path, or remove a bit. Besides that, I think it's a pretty original design for a map.

Remember that this is all my opinion and what I would rate the map.

By the way, I'll be posting some of my own maps once I finish my tileset. The one I've been using needs refreshing.

Does everything look alright here? Should probably point out that the single wall at the bottom is intentional, it looked far better than stacking them like the top and side ones. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I like it! The quality is fine and the edge of the rocks makes it look better. But when you make a cave, I recommend that the player is never able to see any black, so it makes it kind of useless. For the entrance, I'd leave it as is. It's clear for the player to see where the exit is and it's looking good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Wakey wakey, here's a route I makey:

Spoiler:

My project corrupted or something, this one map was unaffected (carried it over to the new project) but the towns and interiors did not survive. I must rebuild them and make them stronger than ever

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Wakey wakey, here's a route I makey:

Spoiler:

My project corrupted or something, this one map was unaffected (carried it over to the new project) but the towns and interiors did not survive. I must rebuild them and make them stronger than ever

Biggest concern I'd have with that map is that you don't really have a good gauge of depth - In particular, the trees are taller than a single cliff face, but you've got a bridge going over them from a 1-high ledge.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Biggest concern I'd have with that map is that you don't really have a good gauge of depth - In particular, the trees are taller than a single cliff face, but you've got a bridge going over them from a 1-high ledge.

Dang it, didn't even realize

Thanks for the pointer, I shall be mending this ugly mistake soon
edit: mended ugly mistake
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
edit: mended ugly mistake
Spoiler:
Well the ledge around the path at the top is entirely redundant, as is that big U-shaped section a bit lower down. Really, ledges should be as short as practical and have as few corners as practical to restrict your movement or force you to walk through some patch of grass. Other than that, pretty good, although the map is a little overlarge, and those cutable trees to the far left now seem redundant.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 20, 2017
Urgh... how I wish I'd discovered this thread much sooner. I could use some critique on some of my maps.
The region in my game is relatively small and is almost entirely surrounded by a steep cliffside, hence why most maps share similar traits (rocky edges around the maps, many trees, etc.)
Spoiler:

I've mainly used Fire Red and Leaf Green as points of reference (since I've mostly kept to the default Essentials tileset which is 99% from those games) and always told myself that as long as I include more detail in my maps than there was in those GBA games, I'm doing a decent job.

But recently I realized those games weren't focused on detail. They were focused on translating the original Red and Blue as literally as possible, including their lack of detail due to their technical limitations.
So I looked up the Hoenn worldmap from Ruby and Sapphire. Glanced at a few maps from those games. And my god, some locations look absolutely beautiful.
It's obviously too late now to transform my entire game's region into a similar tropical resort kind of region nor do I intend to, but I definitely want to introduce some more detail in a few of my least favorite maps:

Spoiler:

Any tips on how to improve them? Perhaps a few ways to introduce a little more "uniqueness" to both locations so they don't feel like "yet another template town"?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Any tips on how to improve them? Perhaps a few ways to introduce a little more "uniqueness" to both locations so they don't feel like "yet another template town"?
I'd recommend using more different kinds of trees, for example adding the smaller ones. Then I'd give decorations such as flowers, dustbins, banks etc. a try.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
This is a map from a friend's project I'm working on. It's a hot spring that has a waterfall which leads into an inner volcano. I might change the water from the waterfall to traditional surf water, just so it feels like there's a distinction between the hot spring and the surfing segment.
Spoiler:

Hyrine008

Aspiring Developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 16, 2017
This is the first draft of my first map for an upcoming fangame I started making recently. It is a small part of a rundown city. I'm still working on it but all critiques are appreciated. :D I'm using FRLG tilesets with some recolored/ custom tilesets but I'm still very much so working on those also. (I'm spriting all these myself while developing the game)
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back