• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has this PSA case been tampered with - Base Charizard Gem Mint 10 (apparently)

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2019
Hey guys,

Im new here, but I have quite a collection of older pokemon cards, as well as a few Charizards graded PSA 10 - shining, dark, CD promo, Arceus, Base, Gym, etc.

When studying my Base charizard, I notice that the bottom is particularly crappy for a psa 10 and there is a lot of foil showing on the edges that reflects light. None of my other 10's have this.

Other than the edge stuff, the card looks to be gem mint.

Thanks

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
I've had cards come straight out of the pack with edgewear all around the card. It's not uncommon, and that's not really something anyone has control over. Some cards have the top/bottom sandwiched into the pack when it gets sealed, that's much uglier.

My guess is it came out of the pack like that. The only other thing is if the card is capable of rattling inside the case it might have worn down over time.

Considering how many Base Charizards I've seen that are just badly abused because no kid EVER takes proper care of their cards, I think you're lucky. I've seen people with 1st ed Charizards and the cards have every defect possible and you just want to cry.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2019
Granted that is true, not all cards come perfect out of the pack, with defects and OC a major thing, but thats not my main issue, if it came out of the pack like that, surely it still should not have been given a gem mint 10?

or has PSA dropped the ball?

there is actually a tiny mark on the corner where the foil is also visible, by the eye. surely that is not gem mint. or am I being to pedantic?

I actually feel as though if I sold it, people would call me a fraud like the guy who opened up PSA cards and did the switcheroo on them, forget his name.

Here is a full picture, you can see the speckle on the bottom right corner, and along the bottom under 1995, 96 etc. Then again on the LHS.

Last edited:
Years
How long ago was it PSA graded? Maybe it's time to get it re-graded. Though those flaws aren't very noticeable, so most people won't notice them, which is probably why it had a 10 grading. Looks flawless other than those two flaws.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2019
its been a while since grading, S/N is 146xxxxx. But i doubt the edge wear would have occured whilst it was in the case.

The seller told me that the base cards were particularly stingy around the edges in terms of the amount of ink used. and so the card is still a gem 10 with a minor printing error.

Don't get me wrong, it is minor, but just being cautious.

Back