• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official PokeCommunity Adoption Center [Read first post!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaster234

Pokemon Trainer
Years
1. What section/board are you most interested in?(recently)Chatting and having friends
2. What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and and learn more about?

About everyplace my mentor would guide me!
3. Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here?yeah,for now,chatting
and friends(I in here have none).

Cid

Years
1. What section/board are you most interested in?(recently)Chatting and having friends
2. What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and and learn more about?

About everyplace my mentor would guide me!
3. Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here?yeah,for now,chatting
and friends(I in here have none).
Having friends is a pretty huge undertaking that doesn't restrict within a single section, but pretty much everywhere on PC. You'll have to be familiar with VMs and other means of talking to people, while still posting around and concentrating on the forums that you particularly fond, so that you don't spread yourself out too thinly. That being said, I think a global mentor would suit you best! There's [supporter]Leaf Storm[/supporter] (wait I'm still unsure if Megan's available, I'll have to ask her) and Cid (that's me) with mentee spots open for you to fill in! We'll both be able to show you around the whole place in general. Only one mentor per mentee, though, so choose which of us you'd like! :) Unless the chatting part you mentioned is specifically for serious discussion about topics unrelated to Pokémon, which the Other Chat section is pretty much all about. But probably not. :p

Pokemaster234

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Having friends is a pretty huge undertaking that doesn't restrict within a single section, but pretty much everywhere on PC. You'll have to be familiar with VMs and other means of talking to people, while still posting around and concentrating on the forums that you particularly fond, so that you don't spread yourself out too thinly. That being said, I think a global mentor would suit you best! There's [supporter]Leaf Storm[/supporter] (wait I'm still unsure if Megan's available, I'll have to ask her) and Cid (that's me) with mentee spots open for you to fill in! We'll both be able to show you around the whole place in general. Only one mentor per mentee, though, so choose which of us you'd like! :) Unless the chatting part you mentioned is specifically for serious discussion about topics unrelated to Pokémon, which the Other Chat section is pretty much all about. But probably not. :p
Okay thanks. I will decide which of you should I choose.

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
What section/board are you most interested in? I'd say Battle Center, because I'd love to battle other people in the community and help me with my team.

What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and learn more about? Trade Corner, because whenever I go to check it out it seems they're talking about a bunch of gibberish abbhreviations such as IV's, RNG, DW, Ut, etc. I just want to learn more about the trading system and what people here are interested in so I can commonly be active in the trading community.

Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here? I would like to create an active Trade Shop and trade with others often so I can get used to the new concepts of trading and explore new battle styles with those pokemon.

Years
What section/board are you most interested in? I'd say Battle Center, because I'd love to battle other people in the community and help me with my team.

What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and learn more about? Trade Corner, because whenever I go to check it out it seems they're talking about a bunch of gibberish abbhreviations such as IV's, RNG, DW, Ut, etc. I just want to learn more about the trading system and what people here are interested in so I can commonly be active in the trading community.

Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here? I would like to create an active Trade Shop and trade with others often so I can get used to the new concepts of trading and explore new battle styles with those pokemon.

PlatinumDude is open for Battle Center, but if you'd like to try Trade Corner we have tabor62 and Livewire open in that area. :3 They're all well-versed in those sections, so take your pick!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Hey, Pokemaster! I am available, and am willing to take you in if you like! :)

Also, I don't really have a minimum number of mentees for me to take in so I'm pretty much available unless otherwise noted~

Thereaperofdeath19

The Rookie
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2018
hmm i have no idea what mentor i want hmm i think i want a emulation mentor not sure though man i never though i be nervous on the internet wow

Cid

Years
Welcome to the forums, Reaper! :3 Aww don't be nervous. There's nothing to be nervous about! I was nervous when I was new too, but I realized that it was really irrational to be like that because as I say, no one's out to get you for making a small misstep or anything. :p Like if you feel like you might do something wrong, then don't worry too much about it. Just grasp the rules as much as you can, and if that isn't enough, then learn from your mistakes! Don't let it get to you.

Back to the topic, haha. Although it might have been cooler if you filled out the form I posted above, your post seems to tell me quite simply that you want an Emulation mentor. ^^; So if that's true, then we have DrFuji and Abnegation for that. Take your pick, then reply here which one you'd like so that we can try to get you two together. :D Of course, you could always fill out the form if you want more suggestions for mentors of other sections.

Thereaperofdeath19

The Rookie
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2018
Welcome to the forums, Reaper! :3 Aww don't be nervous. There's nothing to be nervous about! I was nervous when I was new too, but I realized that it was really irrational to be like that because as I say, no one's out to get you for making a small misstep or anything. :p Like if you feel like you might do something wrong, then don't worry too much about it. Just grasp the rules as much as you can, and if that isn't enough, then learn from your mistakes! Don't let it get to you.

Back to the topic, haha. Although it might have been cooler if you filled out the form I posted above, your post seems to tell me quite simply that you want an Emulation mentor. ^^; So if that's true, then we have DrFuji and Abnegation for that. Take your pick, then reply here which one you'd like so that we can try to get you two together. :D Of course, you could always fill out the form if you want more suggestions for mentors of other sections.

hello Cid sorry it took three days to response to this i been a bit busy i like DrFuji for a mentor for he/she can show me the ropes of it and start working on a rom to improve it also if you got advice for please tell me what you would recommend thanks.

iLoveHate

Hmmmmmm.... :D
Years
Haia there Cirno, i hope you can find a mentor for me :D

What section/board are you most interested in?
Im interested in ROM hacking (emulation), Im not a noob anymore cuz i already can script, even complicated ones although it takes some time. But I want to learn another part of that which i already tried without succes, its tiling.

What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and learn more about?
Hmm, if you dont mind I'll stick at emulation ^^

Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here?
Yup I want, not only rom-hacking but also make some pals or something to chat sometimes about nonsense ^^

Thats it, Circo now you got more work to do thanks to me :p

Cid

Years
hello Cid sorry it took three days to response to this i been a bit busy i like DrFuji for a mentor for he/she can show me the ropes of it and start working on a rom to improve it also if you got advice for please tell me what you would recommend thanks.
Nah, don't worry about it. I've been busy too so I also tend to reply really late, haha. But sure, maybe I'll PM you sometime, if I think of useful advice or something to recommend. I won't do that here because we might derail the thread with unrelated posts. :p

Haia there Cirno, i hope you can find a mentor for me :D

What section/board are you most interested in?
Im interested in ROM hacking (emulation), Im not a noob anymore cuz i already can script, even complicated ones although it takes some time. But I want to learn another part of that which i already tried without succes, its tiling.

What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and learn more about?
Hmm, if you dont mind I'll stick at emulation ^^

Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here?
Yup I want, not only rom-hacking but also make some pals or something to chat sometimes about nonsense ^^

Thats it, Circo now you got more work to do thanks to me :p
Welcome. <3 Hope I can do a good job of recommending in Cirno's place!

Now onto this post's purpose. :3 We have just a few spots left for Emulation; you can either be DrFuji's third mentee, or be mentored by Abnegation. However, I hope you know that your chosen mentor won't be able to help you with the process of hacking itself (unless the mentor personally offers to help), since the Adoption Center only covers stuff related to the forum and how you can get into your mentor's section more easily. So asking your mentor how to tile would not fall under the mentoring process, unfortunately. You could ask where the necessary tiling references are in Emulation section, though!

In any case, take your pick!

iLoveHate

Hmmmmmm.... :D
Years
Nah, don't worry about it. I've been busy too so I also tend to reply really late, haha. But sure, maybe I'll PM you sometime, if I think of useful advice or something to recommend. I won't do that here because we might derail the thread with unrelated posts. :p

Welcome. <3 Hope I can do a good job of recommending in Cirno's place!

Now onto this post's purpose. :3 We have just a few spots left for Emulation; you can either be DrFuji's third mentee, or be mentored by Abnegation. However, I hope you know that your chosen mentor won't be able to help you with the process of hacking itself (unless the mentor personally offers to help), since the Adoption Center only covers stuff related to the forum and how you can get into your mentor's section more easily. So asking your mentor how to tile would not fall under the mentoring process, unfortunately. You could ask where the necessary tiling references are in Emulation section, though!

In any case, take your pick!

I know Cid, if i need help with my hack i wouldnt post it here, i want a mentor so i can learn that part of hacking as well ^^. Hmm, I dont know why Abnegation is yellow, but I'd like him to be my mentor if possible. Cuz he is more of the graphical part of it all and thats exactly what i need now ^^. And he only has 1 mentee at the moment and Dr.Fuji already 2. Shall i contact him? or is that a job for you to do?
Thanks for your help btw Cid.

Years
I know Cid, if i need help with my hack i wouldnt post it here, i want a mentor so i can learn that part of hacking as well ^^. Hmm, I dont know why Abnegation is yellow, but I'd like him to be my mentor if possible. Cuz he is more of the graphical part of it all and thats exactly what i need now ^^. And he only has 1 mentee at the moment and Dr.Fuji already 2. Shall i contact him? or is that a job for you to do?
Thanks for your help btw Cid.

Abnegation is yellow because he's a super moderator on the forum. :3 And I'll contact him for you now since Cid is asleep! We'll let you know what he replies with as soon as possible. =D

Lunar Crescent

I choose you pikachu!
Years
1. What section/board are you most interested in? Community stuff, i don't really Play hacks :p
2. What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and and learn more about? Possibly trading section.
3. Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here? Become community and people to know me, and that i should know them obviously!

Cid

Years
1. What section/board are you most interested in? Community stuff, i don't really Play hacks :p
2. What other sections/boards do you want to venture in and and learn more about? Possibly trading section.
3. Are there any specific things you like to do while you're here? Become community and people to know me, and that i should know them obviously!
I'm really sorry to say this, but you'll be the last mentee for a little while. :( Cirno and I talked it out, and at the rate at which things are going, I currently believe that a break will help us fix some issues. It might be for weeks, or a few months; at this point in time, it's hard to say. But in a few paragraphs, I will be closing this thread, and it will remain closed until we fix the problems that the Adoption Center has been encountering.

Still, it wouldn't be fair to rob you of the privilege since you posted here before it was closed, so if you'd like a mentor for Trade Corner, we have Livewire, TwilightBlade and tabor62 available. Pick one of those three, tell your choice in a message to me or Cirno through VM/PM, and we'll try to get you in touch. But this will be the last, at least for a few months.

From here on out, The Official PokeCommunity Adoption Center shall be closed until further notice.

To put it simply, the New Users / Welcome moderators think that closing the thread for a few months is for the best. Some problems that have been brought to the surface are really hampering on the joint effort. Sure, this joint effort was something that every mentor has contributed upon, to a moderate, yet commendable, amount of success. <3 But the problems were still there.

• First off, some mentees still think that the program is for helping them out with matters not covered by the Adoption Center. Asking for competitive battling help, breeding and IV help, or seeking aid on technical matters about the Pokémon games— these are just part of the problem, because mentees still tend to bring up queries solely related to their personal projects such as art, hacks, etc. rather than the forum, despite what is indicated in the first post. That's not how the mentorship works; we're here to help you get used to sections within the forum, not to act as a walking Bulbapedia / Serebii / Google / Emulation subforum. It might be an honest mistake, but it can really test the mentor's patience if you put things in perspective. It's stressful enough that you have a busy schedule and things to do, but having a mentee that mistakes the program for a way to help them with matters unrelated to the forum might just push you over the edge.

• Another problem was that more often than not, mentees fail to stay active enough after a couple of days into the program. Not understanding how mentorship works is one thing, but taking up a mentorship slot without staying active is another. Sure, new members rarely stick around, but if you plan on getting adopted, staying active should come with it. :< Some do stick around, but they rarely ask questions, so the point becomes moot real quick. Ask questions! Be inquisitive and ready to learn, because mentors won't know which areas you need help with unless you tell them yourself. Also, I noticed that some members, to the point of inactivity, become really scared of posting around when they get taken under someone's wing. But guys, this is just a forum! Don't be afraid to make mistakes, because if you're trying your best to follow the rules and not offend anyone, then minor flubs shouldn't intimidate you from posting around. If you get corrected, like if your post gets deleted or your thread is closed, then don't take it too personally. :( People are just trying to make the experience for everyone a little more streamlined, and more importantly, these same people only tell you that "Hey, you made a mistake," to learn from it. To grow. Not to generate flames. But I digress.

• In the end, the Adoption Center has just been really stressful to handle for everyone. Some mentees don't benefit a lot from it for reasons stated above. Mentors have expressed concern that it gets bothersome once in a while, too. And really, we'd be lying if we didn't say that it gets incredibly stressful to manage, a sentiment that Cirno has had especially, because she's been handling this thread on her own for almost half a year now. Just imagine how much stuff she had to deal with. It's something I can't even fathom.
Now, does this mean that mentees get dropped off in the middle of the PC desert, left alone to fend for themselves? Of course not. Despite all this, current mentors and their respective mentees are still encouraged to continue with the mentorship like before. It's just that no new mentees will be accepted from now on, until the Adoption Center is ready to reopen. I'm sorry if you're a new mentee or a new mentor and wasn't able to experience the program to the fullest. It's gonna be a long wait until the Adoption Center reopens, but I hope that you can still go on with your daily lives despite that.

That being said, it's time to bid farewell. ;~; If you're a new member, you should never forget that it doesn't hurt to ask for help from fellow members or staff if you ask knowingly and kindly. Help comes in many shapes and sizes, and even if the Adoption Center temporarily removes itself from those options, I know that you can still make it through those newbie stages if you try. I was here before the Adoption Center even existed, along with countless others, so I suppose we can attest to that.

I wish you luck. I know that you'll get through that. Look out into the sea.
Until the Adoption Center comes back, keep on keeping on.

3LFWq.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back