• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Well according to this tumblr link Leaf Storm sent me on my VM, there probably will be a Light type, but it will be part of a trio with Dragon and Steel, which possibly means no type advantage against Dark types thankfully.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Dunno if anyone noticed it, but in the Movie Short art of Ninfia the ribbons themselves are sparkling, and not Ninfia itself. Maybe its a clue as to what type it is?

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
just just look at electric.
this type has only 1 weakness, it's the most overpowered thing in the whole world.
what is the most common type in pokemon?
WATER, and that is weak to electric.
what is the third most common type in pokemon?
FLYING, and guess what, it is weak to electric too

and besides electric types has the best offensive stats and best moves(no, don't tell me you don't think thunder, thunderbolt, zap cannon, volt tackle are the best attacks ever, because you do and you are right)
they are so so so so so so so op. and you know what, they always attack first no matter what.

we must have at least one type to deal with this.

or must cover rock to have immunity against electric but i don't know, just it isnt fair and i hate all the electric pokemons, i want to kill pikachu.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
just just look at electric.
this type has only 1 weakness, it's the most overpowered thing in the whole world.
what is the most common type in pokemon?
WATER, and that is weak to electric.
what is the third most common type in pokemon?
FLYING, and guess what, it is weak to electric too

and besides electric types has the best offensive stats and best moves(no, don't tell me you don't think thunder, thunderbolt, zap cannon, volt tackle are the best attacks ever, because you do and you are right)
they are so so so so so so so op. and you know what, they always attack first no matter what.

we must have at least one type to deal with this.

or must cover rock to have immunity against electric but i don't know, just it isnt fair and i hate all the electric pokemons, i want to kill pikachu.

I don't think a new type is needed to put these in place, though. Like, there's a few Pokemon with volt absorb, water types have high sdef - there's Roost, and there's a few water/ground types, too. Plus grass/dragon resists it, sooo. The only thing I can think of is using Rubber but that'd be a weird type. :x

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Just to add a little more on the whole "Dark" type thing..If it really signified darkness, Shadow ball,Smokescreen,Shadow sneak,Shadow claw,Shadow force,Shadow punch would be Dark type. Instead, we have moves like Sucker punch,Fling,Fake tears,Foul Play,Taunt,Thief etc. as Dark. It's just a translation blunder. And If 'Light' type signifies 'Kindness', I fail to see how an offensive move can fit into that category.

My Point, If they do introduce new types, I am fairly certain a 'light' type will not be there.

Please. Light can represent two things just as Dark obviously does. Dark Void and Dark Pulse... Yeah.

Years
I don't think that they will introduce a new type. When 5º gen was released, almost everybody was thinking that Reshiram would be of Light type. But it was Dragon/Fire.
If Nintendo had introduced a new type, that would be at 2 gen when they introduced Dark and Steel types (not sure if the last one was already in Magnemite and Magneton in 1º gen, but I don't wanna check).

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Please. Light can represent two things just as Dark obviously does. Dark Void and Dark Pulse... Yeah.

Nah-ah. Dark Type in Japanese named as "akuma" or "evil" type. Mos move of Dark type are being pragmatic or cheating. Only few (and most of them being special moves) dark type moves involve the "element" of darkness at all.

I'm no longer against new type despite the meta match-up is still broken. Like Grass and rock have too many weaknesses and not so useful advantages, while electric have only one weakness. But to said that Light type should exist just because we have "Dark" wouldn't cut it. That argument have already being said thousand before and never really like it.

*Shiny*Monster0198

~ Just chillin'
Years
If they're thinking of creating new types, they should find a type that nerfs the other ones imo.
What I mean is finding something to counter steel and dragon types, but also taking effective damage from types that aren't particularly good at coverage such as grass and poison types - although I guess that they could just create new pokemon that are probably gonna be used alot and fulfill this reason.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
No thank you, there is absolutely no need for a brand new type, it hasn't happened again after gen 2, so no chance whatsoever of it happening again.
Also, as Shengar said, Dark type isn't named as such cause of a dark element, it's named as such because of its basis on Fighting dirty and cheating, in which case the polar opposite of Dark is its weakness, Fighting type, which is based on fair and honourable combat. Not Light.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
No thank you, there is absolutely no need for a brand new type, it hasn't happened again after gen 2, so no chance whatsoever of it happening again.
Also, as Shengar said, Dark type isn't named as such cause of a dark element, it's named as such because of its basis on Fighting dirty and cheating, in which case the polar opposite of Dark is its weakness, Fighting type, which is based on fair and honourable combat. Not Light.

What about Dark Pulse and Dark Void?

Nah-ah. Dark Type in Japanese named as "akuma" or "evil" type. Mos move of Dark type are being pragmatic or cheating. Only few (and most of them being special moves) dark type moves involve the "element" of darkness at all.

I'm no longer against new type despite the meta match-up is still broken. Like Grass and rock have too many weaknesses and not so useful advantages, while electric have only one weakness. But to said that Light type should exist just because we have "Dark" wouldn't cut it. That argument have already being said thousand before and never really like it.

They are represented as evil and Dark spirited. Of course the Pokémon with this typing would naturally behave mischievously, which is why a.majority of the moves are that way, but there are plenty Pokémon that represent itbm in a more sinister way. Like Spiritomb and Darkrai. Light would simply represent holiness and purity. But just as Dark involves literal darkness with moves like Dark Void and Dark Pulse, Light Type would have its literal moments too.

Last edited:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
If they're thinking of creating new types, they should find a type that nerfs the other ones imo.
What I mean is finding something to counter steel and dragon types, but also taking effective damage from types that aren't particularly good at coverage such as grass and poison types - although I guess that they could just create new pokemon that are probably gonna be used alot and fulfill this reason.
I think that both Dragon and Steel is already fine as they are. Steel are supposed to be the defensive type anyway while most of them still have weakness against either Fire or Ground. Fire and Ground are common offensive type.
The same goes with dragon too. Their resistance and weakness are balanced and as far as I know there is no match up type that could render them without weakness.

What about Dark Pulse and Dark Void?

They are represented as evil and Dark spirited. Of course the Pokémon with this typing would naturally behave mischievously, which is why a.majority of the moves are that way, but there are plenty Pokémon that represent itbm in a more sinister way. Like Spiritomb and Darkrai. Light would simply represent holiness and purity. But just as Dark involves literal darkness with moves like Dark Void and Dark Pulse, Light Type would have its literal moments too.
I think SolarAbusoru have already address it better than me
|
V

We come back again to "dark" type original meaning in Japanese that known as "Akuma" or "evil". And as addressed by SolarAbusoru here, their "evilness" are counterpart to Fighting type whose represent "code of honour" or something like that.

Light being represent holiness and purity also too shallow. Those who use anime canon and Pokedex entry canon knows that Darkrai is only blessed with suck as it doesn't really have intention of harm others. And those "holiness and purity" being, which I could say that perfect that image nicely, Cresselia, is Psychic type. Ho-Oh, the pokemon that supposed to be holy is Fire/Flying type as well.

Its already been demonstrated by Generation V Black/White that the argument "There is dark, then there should be light as well" won't cut it. While it is more plausible and much more fitting that Reshiram and Zekrom are Light and Dark type respectively, they didn't do it.

Edit: And yeah, about Dark Pulse
The user releases a horrible aura imbued with dark thoughts. It may also make the target flinch.
I correct myself that even Dark Pulse isn't even involve any dark "element" at all. It like Psychic, only it is murk and contaminating your mind instead of crushing.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Also in regards to said typing we discuss a lot, Light Type would also get to have Light Screen/Reflect as moves of that type, and take from some of the best from Grass/Fire/Psychic, could be an awesome combination type and could balance out those other typings a bit, too. :)

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Maybe it wouldn't be called "light". Maybe something of a variation like say, Celestial, or Holy. I'm not sure; I'm throwing names.

Perhaps a light type would get new plasma based moves as well?

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I think we're all forgetting one type that gets the shaft every gen.

Poison types! If a new type were to be introduced it should at least be weak to Poison.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Maybe it wouldn't be called "light". Maybe something of a variation like say, Celestial, or Holy. I'm not sure; I'm throwing names.

Perhaps a light type would get new plasma based moves as well?

Ya maybe. But it needs to be a good name at least and not just something slightly related to Light. :(

I think we're all forgetting one type that gets the shaft every gen.

Poison types! If a new type were to be introduced it should at least be weak to Poison.

Ummmm idk what COULD be weak to poison, unless it's human type but that's close to fighting :(

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Ya maybe. But it needs to be a good name at least and not just something slightly related to Light. :(

Ummmm idk what COULD be weak to poison, unless it's human type but that's close to fighting :(

Well, to throw a bone to the people suggesting a Light type....Poison type could be super-effective against it because poison corrupts, corrodes, etc.

Some type advantages/weaknesses have no realistic reasonings behind by them....such as "Why is Dark weak to bug?"

The only real reason was balancing issues and I think Poison is particularly crap except somewhat decent as a Defensive typing.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Light, as in "holiness" and "purity" wouldn't fit well with Pokemon, I agree. But light as in the light spectrum would. Could you imagine a flashlight Rotom? lolz

I could easily see a Light-type being weak to the types that are underrepresented offensively, and resistant to the stronger ones.

But if Sylveon isn't a new type, my hope in there being a new type will diminish somewhat cause I can't imagine a better way to introduce a new type than with an eeveelution.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
If there was a Light type, then it better be a trio with Steel and Dragon based on the supposed claim Leaf Storm linked to me on my VM page. I would simply imagine Light being super effective against Dragon and weak against Dark and Poison (not sure about Steel).

Back