• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Triple and Rotation Battles

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Pokémon Black and White introduces 2 another ways of battling, Triple Battles and Rotation Battles. What do you think about these features, and which style of battling do you prefer among these two?

zroc

Pokemon trainer
Years
The introduction of triple and rotation battles is an amazing feature that i think helps break up the repetitive aspect of traditional pokemon battles. I personally prefer triple battles over rotation, because i find it easier to direct my attacks at specific pokemon in my opponents party. Both styles offer a fun and exciting new experience.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Rotation battles are annoying and unpredictable. When playing against AI it just seems unfair. I prefer the fun and excitement of Triple Battles. Brings out my Final Fantasy 7 memories. Much more to pay attention to much more you have to be aware of.

Long answer short? Triple Battles > Rotation.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
The introduction of triple and rotation battles is an amazing feature that i think helps break up the repetitive aspect of traditional pokemon battles. I personally prefer triple battles over rotation, because i find it easier to direct my attacks at specific pokemon in my opponents party. Both styles offer a fun and exciting new experience.

I could only repeat those words he said. There weren't many in the original, which made me feel disappointed, but in B2W2 you now have the option to choose whichever battle you want at the PWT. I feel that this has certainly made B2W2 more addictive than the original.

Reactions: T!M
Years
Personally, I'm not a fan of Triple or Rotation battles. They make the battlefield too clustered, making it hard to keep up with which moves affect which Pokemon according to the "move ranges". Rotation Battles require an exceptional amount of guessing strategy and the AI just likes to go "NOPE, gonna switch and make your move ineffective. /trollface" Triple Battles are slightly better in my opinion, although the switching mechanic is still there which makes things go awry if your opponent switches.

Years
I can honestly say I didn't like either triple or rotation battles when they were first introduced, but the latter has seemed to grow on me. Sure, the AI doesn't seem to have any sort of pattern when rotating Pokemon around, but I find half the fun is trying to predict what they're going to do, and see if you guessed right or not (and trying to outsmart the AI by rotating your own Pokemon). And at least at the heart of it, it's still mini 1-on-1 battles, unlike triple battles, where I find too much is happening at once.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I like triple and rotation battles, they really make you think rather than you repeatedly sending thunderbolts at one Pokemon. It makes you predict and they're quite harder than the normal trainer battle honestly, one slipup and the whole game can turn around. Personally I prefer rotational battles since they require more strategy and are a bit harder. The move range feature was also quite interesting- while it was frustrating it also helped to throw on another challenge for the player. Either way both of these battling styles are great fun to play.

Years
I loved these new battling styles, they were fun and enjoyed them although I do think triples were more fun cos you had to put thought into the position of the foes on the field, but also your own Pokemon. Some moves can hit foes on the opposite end, like Aerial Ace and several Flying attacks. It was pretty fun and I loved how intense it was.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I love Rotation Battles. There was an international GBU earlier this year in a rotation format and it's definitely been my favorite tournament of Gen V. Why? Because it's so much different from other formats and it's just really fun in general and it allows a lot more freedom in your strategy.

Triples are pretty neat, too. In myexperience they just became zerg fests, though, which is pretty yawn- but nice for grinding BP at PWT. But theres nothing funnier than 6 wailords in one battle.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I love the triple battles the most (hope they keep them in X&Y - goes for double battles too). I have lots of fun into thinking of a winning strategy to defeat my opponents as quickly and effectively as possible at the same time not to hurt any Pokemon on my own team.

The one I disliked the most was rotational battles, just when I thought I was about to win, opponents keep changing Pokemon..... so annoying and frustrating as well - making me waste a good move on a Pokemon that isn't too effective on.

Years
i liked them. especially tripple battles. they were a really nice change, but im glad they werent more common than they were in black and white 2. the only problem with them was the switch pokemon scene. it was SO confusing because when you had 2/3 pokemon faint at once, you had to pick the pokemon to swap in, and the pokemon it switch it with. but this wasnt explained so i would select a spare pokemon, and then go to select a second spare pokemon, but it wouldnt let me. id then get confused and just click around the place. they should have changed up the select screen, made it horozontal instead of vertical to mirror the battle setup, and include more text

bashau

Distinct Phantom
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2022
rotion battles take forever and frustrating since the AI consonantly switches pokemon
triple battles can be fun but renders one or two of completely useless after you kill one of enemy pokemon
i hate them both

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
But theres nothing funnier than 6 wailords in one battle.
I always wondered what such a battle would look like xD
Especially in a closed room.

Ingame triple and rotation battles annoyed me, because they caught me by surprise every time. I can see the strategic value such a battle can add to the game, though. Since I never played those kinda battle styles too often, I can't really say which one I'd prefer. In competetive battle both might be pretty funny...

matsuko

Alliterating Artist
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
i don't mind triple battles so much, but i HATE rotation battles.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I don't like either of them, but I like how GameFreak added these to the game. It introduces two new styles of battling, and they're fun while playing the game. Competitively, I despise both. I like rotation battling better though because it can be unpredictable.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I am so addicted to Triple Battles. I legit can't explain how much I've fallen in love with them. The dynamics, the effects and range of moves, it's all great to me. I love how even the most useless of moves in even Double Battles become staples within Triple Battles. I honestly love that they made this feature, and for crying out loud, who doesn't love Charles?

Pyrowolf

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2013
Well...

Personally I prefer triple battles because they is some strategy involved in it. To get all 3 pokemon affected by the same move, you have to move that pokemon into the middle position. Also some moves like dark pulse and hit pokemon on the complete opposite side!

Eg. Weavile,Scizor, caterpie
-
Dark pulse
-
-
-
-
Starly,Togepi, Sawk (Weavile hits sawk even though they're on opposite sides)

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I'm not really a fan of either. They take too long. But the idea is pretty interesting, especially with rotation battles; everything is even more random than before.

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
Years
Personally, I think rotation battles adds an interesting battle mechanic, but it's not really my type of thing; I prefer triple battles. I think that the two features were definitely a good addition to the games, whether they're loved or hated. At least they add more options; I enjoy options. Honestly, it irritates me that we can't select different borders in the new gen, but that's just me. :)

Years
I really didn't like rotation battles because the Pokemon could shift unexpectedly and throw me off.. not to mention it made little sense, haha. Triples were a bit rough sometimes since the Pokemon on your far left or right couldn't hit the Pokemon on the far end of the other side, but other than that, they were okay!

Back