• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon with types\abilities that makes them "Bosses"

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Title says it all:

Pokemon with unique typing are not an uncommon thing these days. Gen V intruduced many new type combiantions.

But what are the pokemon you take to a battle only because of specific combinations?
Or what are some pokemon you hate fighting against because of a type combination or an ability?

For me there are quite a few-
First is Emolga,this little guy is nuts (no pun intended).
Electric/Flying with a unique movepool and because of his typing-No ground move can hit him.

Second, pokemon with any kind of "absorb" ability are annoying.
"water absorb" or "lightning rod" for example.

And Snover and Abomasnow. They are ice/grass and are un-affected by their own hail.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Zebstrika was very useful when taking on Elesa's gym. Just switch into a volt switch and you're set for some serious sweeping.

In fact, the electric type really received some killer pokemon this generation. Between Galvantula, Zebstrika, and Eelektross, there are some powerful contenders with unique typings/abilities.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I'll have to say if it's one ability I hate, it's Prankster. However, any Pokémon with it immediately gets a higher attacking margin.

Alright, Eelektross is one damn hard Pokémon to finish; due to a combination of typing and ability. And it's not everyday you run across a mold breaker with Earthquake, is it?

Some Pokémon get their own level due to their typing, like Water/Dragon. Palkia is a one good example, he isn't challenged by dragons either, and still gets to use other moves to counter types of his liking.

PS - Sometimes Normal types get awesome too. They only have one weakness, so provided they aren't challenged by fighting, they also get to be impervious.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
One Pokémon that truly stands out to me is Zoroark. It has a very unique ability, which enables it to transform itself into the last Pokémon in your party and trick the opponent. And since it has access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, this will give you the chance to take advantage of the situation and use either of those moves to boost your Attack or Sp. Attack without being knocked out. If you're able to handle this Pokémon properly, then it'll be able to defeat your opponent's entire team single-handedly. d:

Darmanitan is also pretty special. It's the only Pokémon that has access to the Zen Mode ability. This ability changes Darmanitan's form whenever it's in low health, which allows it to take less damage from any moves and survive for a few additional turns.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I dislike fighting against Boldore because of Selfdestruct/Explosion and the improved Sturdy.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
You're lucky then. Boldore doesn't learn Explosion until level 50+. But that's another thing. Pokémon with access to Sturdy can ruin the perfect sweeper out dry. And mostly they're rock types, meaning they can finish a lot of types.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I like the Wonder Skin ability, my Sigilyph in my Black version avoided so much damage with that ability it's ridiculous! It prevents your HP being lowered by sandstorms, hail and even burns and the poison status.
Also, the next Gen has a fossil Pokemon with the ability Freeze Skin/Refrigerate which changes all normal type moves to Ice type moves with STAB! That sounds really boss!

Back