• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola's Legacy

pkmin3033

Every Pokemon game has new features and gameplay mechanics, and some of those will inevitably be carried over into future generations, even as some are left behind. Gen VI gave us Mega Evolution, and character customisation, for example. However, Super Training was omitted.

With that in mind, what do you think Alola's legacy to the franchise will be? What new features from S/M and US/UM do you think will be carried over to the next generation of titles, or what would you like to see carried over? Similarly, what do you hope is forgotten, or think will be, based upon past trends?

RIP Hyper Training, and go away, SOS Battles

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
Years
I'd like to think that they'll at least keep a way to max out Ivs from now on (even if its not called Hyper Training amymore) since it's related to competitive stuff and it made it possible to use mons that were either caught forever ago, shiny (with bad stats), or events.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Z-moves are likely to remain a part of the games forevermore, usually battle-related changes and additions don't get removed (except for special battle formats, ie Rotations, Triples, hordes).

I just hope that trainer customization and Hyper Training (in some form, also please make leveling to 100 not a bitch) stay with us.

Years
I feel out of the features in this generation that I think could get removed in 8th Gen, it's probably Poke Rides since it feels like it's part of Alolan tradition. I do hope other stuff like Trainer Customization and Z-Moves do get carried over though.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
TBH I want PokePelago, The IV, and EV checker as well as Pokemon Refresh to carry over. I think it's already given that Z-moves will be apart of the game for a while, but for now, I think that the three points above should stay for as long as possible. I honestly prefer Pokepelago to super training because my hand doesn't get tired after all the mini games XD... Plus as a growing adult I feel PokePelago is more convenient for my schedule.

Years
Z-Moves and PokeRide imo, although I really hope we see the latter in future Pokemon titles. Don't think we'll see Z-Moves outside of Alola in all honesty.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Z-Moves and PokeRide imo, although I really hope we see the latter in future Pokemon titles. Don't think we'll see Z-Moves outside of Alola in all honesty.

We might. Irc, Samson mentioned sending Oak and his grandnephew (Blue) some Z stones. So I can see them being like Mega Stones. A few might pop up here and there.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Pok?Pelago should be brought to future gen games, because I can interact with any Pok?mon that I have sent via PC storage boxes and I'm having great time there. Plus, I think it have almost similar accessibility and enjoyment from Pok?mon Refresh, which in turn has roots from Pok?mon-Amie from Kalos games. Speaking of which, I also wanted Pok?mon Refresh/Amie to return in future games, as well as Trainer Customization, and also Z-Moves, if possible.

pkmin3033

I feel out of the features in this generation that I think could get removed in 8th Gen, it's probably Poke Rides since it feels like it's part of Alolan tradition. I do hope other stuff like Trainer Customization and Z-Moves do get carried over though.

If history is any guide, things like PokeRide would probably remain in Alola and won't be carried over to future games. PokeRide, as notable and refreshing a concept as it is, seems to be more tied to Alola's culture than something that would seem to be easily carried over to future titles.
I'm curious, but if you guys think PokeRide will remain Alola exclusive, can you see us returning to the HM system in the future? Or do you perhaps think that a different system will be put in place? It just seems a bit less certain to me given the generally positive reception PokeRide had and the actual impact it had upon the gameplay...it'd be one of the few things I thought they WOULD keep. That it was implemented in a lesser manner in Gen VI would suggest to me it's something that they continue to have too.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
It would be such a drag to return to HMs, I don't think they would for future generations. There is precedent in ORAS for not needing an HM to do previously HM-only things, with soaring (I think they didn't let us soar on Charizard because of the archipelago structure of Alola and the fact that we don't have water routes in between islands). Even if they keep it simple, with maybe just three: one poke to fly, one to surf, waterfall and dive, one to both push (strength_ and charge (cut, rock smash).

It's possible that for remakes they keep the HM system.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Jun 21, 2017
I Think that in Pok?mon US/UM we wil be able to battle Lillie (yes yes {:3}) and having our first pok?mon following us.
Some hackers just entered Pok?mon Sun and Moon's data files. What they found was just INCREDIBLE.
Hundred of files of pok?mon 3D models that can walk and run behind trainer :) Unfortunately, it haven't been implanted in the game, probably too heavy.
Also, they found battle animations for Lillie (maybe we will be able to fight her in Pok?mon US/UM)
I hope these features will be in the US/UM game

Last edited:

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
i seriously doubt that the features will disappear. like mentioned above, some things may be altered, and though GF and Nintendo are known trolls, you have to agree, many of the pokemon games have become predicatable. now im not talking like a surprise like gyms returning or anything (i hpoe they do :) ), but lets look at B & W. They had sequels/ remakes too, and i say remakes becuase many of the locations are either changed or killed off. Examples being the new locations and cities, and the destroyed areas being the path leading to victory road, challengers cave, and the moved areas are giant chasm, and the older starting cities. some of the features, like the xtransciever are completely changed. And if you have noticed, the box legendaries were given a fusion with a completey unknown pokemon (in black and white, not their sequels), kyurem. even necrozma is hidden, and is not mentioned much in the story, except *Spoiler alert* after the UB mission. This says a lot about what could be coming, A few knew cities, a couple new pokemon, a lot of returning legendaries to catch like in ORAS perhaps, revamped features, and finally, a chock full of new adventures awaiting us... but i could be wrong. becuase im wrong about everything. But these are the things i hope DO NOT return-
sappy crap- u know what im talking about. like i dont mind family reunions and such, but there are those extremely dull times when u just spam the a button through dialogue. i mean, there isnt even dope slow music like N's, or meaningful words like... N's to compensate. When he spoke, you understood a lot of his "mysterious" past, and one other thing i do NOT want is a villain lik ghetsis. he was cool and all, but he was a cliche comic book villain, trying to use someone to take over the world, but after that dude realized that some bad stuff waz going down, the villain tries harnessing an ancient evil to take control of everything. Nad his dialogues (no offense pokemon) were so unbelievable garbage-y, that they reminded you of a two year old pretending to lose a war with his parents when he was denied an extra scoop of ice cream. (do 2 yr olds eat ice cream?) but anyways yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... also i want the bike to return.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Z-moves are likely to remain a part of the games forevermore, usually battle-related changes and additions don't get removed (except for special battle formats, ie Rotations, Triples, hordes).

I wouldn't be so sure on that. Z-moves are more similar to those battle formats than they are mega evolution. For starters, Mega Evolution was a pretty universally liked idea(outside of some people complaining their favorite pokemon didn't get one). On the other hand, Z-moves seemed to be a fairly ignored feature in-game, and even in competitive, which it was made for, it's not really THAT game changing.

Another thing to keep in mind is, those animations for Z-moves are extremely resource intensive. They can get away with just doing a resolution upgrade for them for gen.8 probably, but I can't see them continually remaking huge animations for a feature that isn't new, or that people really cared for.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
We will probably retain Z-Moves.

Pokepelago and and pokeride will probably gone.

I'd prefer to have pelago and ride though, rather than z-move.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Definitely want the IV training to make a return (or at least revamped) and likewise with Pokémon Refresh. Z-Moves will 100% be carried on to the next games since its a HUGE competitive play feature, like Mega-Evolution, but it probably will be harder to access like Mega-Evolution in future gens.

Alola's Legacy imo definitely will be it's mark on unique type-combinations. It introduced a Ice-Fairy, Dragon-Fighting, Ice-Steel, Fighting-Ice, Ghost-Fairy, Bug-Fairy, Rock-Electric, Rock-Poison & etc. It added on the variety of types & weaknesses in the Pokémon Franchise which is amazing to cater more types :)

Years
Alola's Legacy imo definitely will be it's mark on unique type-combinations. It introduced a Ice-Fairy, Dragon-Fighting, Ice-Steel, Fighting-Ice, Ghost-Fairy, Bug-Fairy, Rock-Electric, Rock-Poison & etc. It added on the variety of types & weaknesses in the Pokémon Franchise which is amazing to cater more types :)

I can definitely agree, since a lot of these were type combinations we wanted for so long. Definitely explains why there's a fair amount of these 7th Gen Pokemon making my favourites lists.

pkmin3033

I honestly can't see Hyper Training being carried over, if only because Super Training wasn't carried over, and there was no earthly reason to remove it. I suppose you could argue that there are ways to EV train in the games without Super Training, and no way to IV train as a reason to include it, but given the relative simplicity of both features, and the fact that they're clearly designed with people who battle competetively in mind, it seems unlikely to me that they'd keep one whilst they ditched the other.

I see a lot of optimism in here regarding Z-Moves, but honestly I'm not sure about those either, if only because of the ridiculous poses you always have to watch (please, god, let those be skippable in USUM) and the fact that, as BadSamaritan mentioned, they are very resource-intensive. Now, if Pokemon goes exclusively to Switch after US/UM, that goes out the window, but if the series continues on the 3DS in some form too - which it ought to if Nintendo are serious about supporting the handheld - then I can see it disappearing to somewhere down the line.

Years
I honestly can't see Hyper Training being carried over, if only because Super Training wasn't carried over, and there was no earthly reason to remove it. I suppose you could argue that there are ways to EV train in the games without Super Training, and no way to IV train as a reason to include it, but given the relative simplicity of both features, and the fact that they're clearly designed with people who battle competetively in mind, it seems unlikely to me that they'd keep one whilst they ditched the other.

I see a lot of optimism in here regarding Z-Moves, but honestly I'm not sure about those either, if only because of the ridiculous poses you always have to watch (please, god, let those be skippable in USUM) and the fact that, as BadSamaritan mentioned, they are very resource-intensive. Now, if Pokemon goes exclusively to Switch after US/UM, that goes out the window, but if the series continues on the 3DS in some form too - which it ought to if Nintendo are serious about supporting the handheld - then I can see it disappearing to somewhere down the line.

I can see your point on Hyper Training, but if Game Freak do keep competitive players in mind with features like this, it may not be scrapped after this generation. Z-Moves I definitely see getting carried over like the Mega Evolutions.

Pinkie-Dawn often did tell me that Nintendo do plan to continue supporting the 3DS in the future, though sometimes I don't believe his claims.

Back