• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Steel Monotype Challenge: White Version 2
Complete!

I defeated Iris today. The E4 were not too much of a threat, though there were a good few Pokemon who had Earthquake which was extremely annoying. Victory Road was the same as always, long. Iris took me 2 tries. The first round I lost because of how OP Dragon Dance Haxorus is. Second round she never even used Dragon Dance and was thus her downfall.

So glad to be done with this challenge, it's been over a year since I started it, mostly because I used it as my bored in between other challenges challenge. It was fun but it had to end.

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Forum User Name: Luke
Pokémon Type: Normal
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Game(s): Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, X
Previous Progress:

Decided to make my buddy Necrum happy and do an Ultimate Mono Run. Went with normal because it's a great type with a lot of Pokemon to choose from!

I'm gonna start from the beginning and do my run through Yellow first. Named myself Norman and my rival Blue. Did all the boring beginning game stuff and then started the hunt for a Level 4 Rattata on Route 1. Upon finding it I caught him and named it Nibbles. Grinded a bunch so I could beat Blue on Route 22 with ease which I did. Beat all the trainers and grinded to Level 14 so I knew Hyper Fang before Brock. With a few creative Tail Whips I surprisingly beat him with little trouble (after nearly having a heart attack because of Bide.) Maneuvered around as many trainers on Route 3 and Mt. Moon to leave experience for my next Pokemon: Clefairy! After a little searching I found her and started her training regimen. After looking her up I realized she didn't really learn anything good after Sing so I made my way to the Moon Stone and evolved her! Beat up Team Rocket and after defeating Jesse and James Nibbles evolved! Just beat Blue on Nugget Bridge and getting ready for Misty and her dang Starmie!

Spoiler:

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Ultimate Bug Mono: Pokemon X Update
Spoiler:

CURRENT TEAM
Spoiler:

The Sceptile King

Just came back from a break!
Years
Taking a bit of a break from X today
SO I was home sick today, so I played pokemon, I am this far now, will update later tonight

I am at Celadon Game Corner, about to go into the lair
Fun Fact
Spoiler:

Overleveled Team -

wartortle.gif

Shelk
Level 34
-Water Gun
-Mega Kick
-Mega Punch
-Bite
Shelk hasn't seen much action recently aside from tanking the whole Dark Cave, but he is close to evolving, and I can't wait for that, especially aside from my X playthrough, I have never owned a Blastoise legitimately.This far in, Vap hasn't really gotten to shine, so Shelk gets MVP

gyarados.gif

Cry Now (Formerly Laugh Now)
Level 28
-Tackle
-Dragon Rage
-Bite
-Splash
OMG, this guy has huge stats for early-game, but he doesn't have the movepool right now to really utilize those stats, so I will give him the honor of the infamous LVP award!

vaporeon.gif

Vap
Level 26
Water Pulse
Sand-Attack
Growl
Quick Attack
Vap is really new to the team, so I can't judge him just yet, but his stats rival Cry Now's and he is two levels under him, along with the fact that he is new and has the most HP already at 103! Vap is up and rising!

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2021
Forum User Name:ravenboy9
Pokémon Type: Flying
Challenge Type: Single
Game:X
Previous Progress:Nope

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
ANNOUNCEMENT!

I have begun a poll to let you guys decide the fate of Mega Evolution in the Monotype Challenge! I will not be voting myself to keep it as neutral a decision as possible. Please refrain from debating the details in the thread itself, just vote your own decision. The poll will last 2 weeks, which should be plenty of time for all the regular participants to vote.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Update for my Normal Ultimate Mono Run!

Didn't progress too much storywise but my team is coming together. Spent too long in the Safari Zone trying to catch Tauros so I gave up and I'm sticking to the four I have now! Just beat Erika and now I'm gonna make my way south down to Koga!

Spoiler:

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Forum User Name: blueredemption
Pokémon Type: flying
Challenge Type: single
Game(s): SoulSilver
Previous Progress: No

Maybe golbats won't be a problem this time

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Plans got cancelled so decided to grind out the end of Yellow. The Elite Four/Champion were actually quite challenging because I was kind of underleveled! But I did it! The time count is off because of the emulating by the way.

dDthBg3.png

wp6gHLx.png
IcqSFXz.png

Ambrosia was the MVP of this run. With her coverage, bulk and just overall awesomeness she helped me beat the E4!
7RFqU2N.png
NHBzV78.png

PVaJueV.png
m3GBDPs.png

Ocin7UX.png
thQdzMk.png

Now onto Crystal!

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Ultimate Bug Monotype Challenge: Pokemon X Edition
2 Gyms for the Price of 1

Spoiler:

CURRENT TEAM
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2018
Ultimate Fire Monotype Emerald Update:
-defeated Juan
-defeated Wally in Victory Road
-defeated Elite Four and Champion

Final Team:
Spoiler:

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Normal Crystal Progress Update!

Continuing as Norman I'm slowly making my way through his homeland of Johto! I've got my three team members already and he's gotten six badges so far! Jasmine was definitely the hardest because she was a much higher level than me! But thankfully I had two Revives to keep Winston the Ursaring alive! Just cleared out the old ninja hideout in Mahogany and gonna take on Pryce now!

yU5puEv.png

GJwWTvc.png
DypGvxJ.png

kiwog8r.png
0CH7sj5.png

q7u8nnk.png
Cqq4Z8q.png

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Pokemon X Bugmono update
Fairies oh god!

Spoiler:

CURRENT TEAM
Spoiler:

ravenboy9

Arkansan Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2021
Guess I'll give an update. First badge was no problem, I haven't made it to the second one yet. Shouldn't be too difficult with Wingull though, especially since I've spent the past few hours grinding. For the sake of convenience, assume everyone is level 19. (Because I'm still grinding at the moment, and 19 is the level I plan on stopping at)

Current team:
Spoiler:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
Aaah, after taking a quick hiatus, I returned to my poison monotype today! Time to finish this!

-After replacing Venusaur in my party for my Strength slave, I headed off to Route 22 so I could get through Victory Road.
-Battled Apple. Everything was going very smoothly until he sent out his Charizard, which, I saw with horror, was one level higher than my own Pokemon, and I lost Gengar to a critical Wing Attack from it. -_-
-Made it past all the guards at the Pokemon League and started into Victory Road. While in Victory Road, I lost Golbat to an Exeggutor. Other than that, everything went fine.
-As soon as I made it to Indigo Plateau, I went straight back to Kindle Road to grind..
-Battled Crush Girl Sharon, Black Belt Hugh, and Black Belt Shea for what seemed like FOREVER. Eventually, though, I managed to get everyone to a high enough level to take on the Elite 4.
-I completely destroyed Lorelei with Gengar, as Thunderbolt was able to OHKO all of her water types except for Lapras. Lapras was taken down to the yellow from the attack, but was paralyzed as a side effect; it was unable to move during that turn, and was promptly hit with another Thunderbolt, knocking it out. As for Jynx, I switched in Golbat, who was able to take care of her easily with a Shadow Ball.
-I kept Gengar at the front of my party for Bruno, thinking he would lead with a fighting type; however, when he led with Onix, I switched in Tentacruel and took it down with ease. Of course, the stupid idiot sent out his other Onix immediately after, so Tentacruel didn't even need to leave the battlefield. After those were taken care of, I sent Gengar back out and took out his fighting types with ease, scoring OHKOs on Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, and a 2HKO on Machamp.
-I continued using Gengar against Agatha, who honestly was a joke; I had absolutely no issues with her whatsoever.
-Lance was a bit more difficult. I kept Gengar in against his Gyarados and Aerodactyl; I took them down with ease. When he was about to send out Dragonite, I switched to Tentacruel, expecting to wipe them out using Ice Beam. However, Dragonite turned out to be more bulky than that, surviving the Ice Beam and using Safeguard, then healing the next turn. It took two more Ice Beams to knock him out. The first Dragonair was similar; the first Ice Beam didn't do it, and he managed to paralyze Tentacruel before getting knocked out from Ice Beam. The second Dragonair was killed in one hit, thankfully.
-I was expecting Apple to be ridiculously difficult after Lance, but he actually wasn't so bad. Everybody was taken down by either Gengar, Golbat, or Tentacruel. I had a bit of trouble against his Exeggutor; I thought I would be clever and try to use Poison Fang against it, but it barely did anything, and he nailed Golbat with Sleep Powder, forcing me to spend a turn healing. I got him the next turn using Shadow Ball, like I should have in the first place. Charizard also didn't faint from the first Hydro Pump I threw at him; it took another one to kill him.
-Became the Champion and secured my place in the Hall of Fame, completing my poison challenge!!!

Team and Final Thoughts

Spoiler:

Next up, a bug type adventure through Unova! I can't wait!

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Forum User Name: Black Ninetales
Pokémon Type: Electric
Challenge Type: Single (For now)
Game(s): Sacred Gold
Previous Progress: No

I'm determined to actually beat a monotype for once...

Last edited:

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Beat the E4 on Crystal! Time to conquer Kanto and Red!

WRNgzrz.png

JDXBMsG.png
NZvw3uA.png

ROVgX1d.png
v1TF65z.png

Ga1PGj8.png
BuK6t2V.png

Honestly this run is kind of tough because none of them are hitting super hard. But I'm going to persevere in the end! Hopefully with a little help from some TMs available in Kanto.

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
I'm a little over two hours into my bug type challenge, so time for an update!

-Picked Tepig from Professor Juniper; and, no, the reason was not so Cheren and Bianca wouldn't have a fire type, but rather, because I knew Pignite would do best against Lenora. :P
-Got through the first two gyms using just Tepig/Pignite. Well... Almost. There were some pesky twins outside of Striaton who refused to let me go past them until I had two Pokemon for a double battle, so I picked up Pansage and battled against them. I boxed Pansage immediately afterwards.
-Went to Pinwheel Forest and caught Sewaddle and Venipede; boxed Pignite.

Team

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 3, 2022
Ultimate Water Challenge, SoulSilver part 3
Spoiler:

And...

Ultimate Water Challenge, Platinum part 3
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
I've been playing all day! Lots of stuff happened...

-After boxing Pignite, I headed back to the outside of Pinwheel Forest to grind; because, screw your stolen dragon bones, I have cute, fluffy, pink Pokemon to beat up on!
-Sewaddle evolved into Swadloon.
-Venipede evolved into Whirlipede.
-Got to Castelia City and challenged Burgh; I honestly had a lot of difficulty with him, as he kept healing his Whirlipede every time I had it close to fainting, and his Dwebble had Smack Down. His Leavanny was faster than my Whirlipede, and knocked it out with Struggle Bug; thankfully, I was able to defeat it with Swadloon.
-Battled both Bianca and Cheren on Route 4; I was surprised by just how difficult they were. I had a lot of trouble against Bianca's Servine and Cheren's Pansear particularly. I also managed to lose Swadloon against Cheren's Pidove, which was...embarrassing, to say the least. ._.
-Caught Dwebble.
-Made it to Nimbasa, then immediately went to Route 16 to train for Elesa.
-Swadloon evolved into Leavanny.
-Challenged Elesa's gym; however, by the time I got to her, my main Pokemon were paralyzed, and I had no Paralyz Heals left. To make a long story short; I lost. Badly. So, I bought as many Paralyz Heals and Hyper Potions as I could afford, and went to challenge Elesa again. I led with Dwebble, and was badly damaged by a Volt Switch from Emolga – I was able to OHKO the second Emolga with Rock Slide. She sent the first Emolga back in as I healed, and hit me again with Volt Switch to Zebstrika. I healed again, but it used Volt Switch, and I realized that there was absolutely no way Dwebble would ever be able to get a hit in, so I sacrificed it and sent out Whirlipede. I began hitting Elesa's Pokemon with Poison Tail whenever I can, healing as often as I needed to. Both her Emolga and Zebstrika were affected by Poison Point, so I literally just stalled her, healing nearly every turn, and on the turns I didn't heal, hit them with Poison Tail until they eventually fainted from the poison damage. But, in the end, I got the Bolt Badge.
-Whirlipede evolved into Scolipede.
-Caught Karrablast.
-Evolved Karrablast into Escavalier immediately because Karrablast is terrible.
-Trained everyone up to Clay's level, and battled everyone in Cold Storage.

Team

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back