• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where does the Pokédex get its information?

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
It dawned upon me, that there's a flaw in the Pokédex. Where does all the information come from? If it's built in, why the heck do you need to go on a long adventure to capture every single Pokémon? Does it like, scan the captured Pokémon to draw information out, as if the Pokémons had barcodes on them? I find it weird. What do you guys think?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
That's actually a really good question, I've never thought about it xD
Maybe the Pokedex scans the Pokemon while it's in the Pokeball, and analyzes its features, strengths/weaknesses based on the Pokemon's appearance... perhaps it can somehow scan the Pokemon's brain and get the information from there...

Professor Oak is either a genius for inventing a device that can get all the information from these fascinating creatures just by scanning them, or he's an evil ba***rd for sending kinds out on a dangerous journey for nothing xD

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I was thinking more along the lines of it gathering information when it's in a PokeBall as well, but that only applies to the Pokemon's physical feature, such as weight, height, color, etc. I don't see how the PokeDex can gather information about Pokemon and their typical behavior or hunting habits. It's probably just a logical fallacy that are sprinkled all over the Pokemon franchise.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
They probably know all of their regions' Pokemon beforehand and send you on your journey without the knowledge because it makes it all the more exciting for an adventurer like yourself; just full of surprises. Where would the fun be in a Pokemon journey if you just went around already knowing each and every one that you meet? Pokemon also have a bunch of different habits, so it could also be to make sure that even more possible data is gained and stored incase someone new happens to get involved in a situation where unknown habits, etc turn up.

That's something that used to bother me once I started getting more and more into the games, but this is how I ended up feeling about it, haha.

Or who knows...maybe it is some huge troll all of the regional professors are pulling off.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Prof. Oak must've researched about the pokemon to learn about hunting rituals and whatnot there are only around 151 pokemon in his area, while the other professors research their own region. But since the Pokedex is technically already complete then the probably just want to see who'll actually finish it. Otherwise, they just want you dead. Or maybe the Pokedex is secretly transferring the data to Route 51 so they can clone the legendary pokemon since their Mewtwo project failed! (Sounds like a good for a hack, right? You may use it) Anyway, I never really cared too much about the Pokedex, because I respect the Pokemon so I only capture 6, I mean what's the point of the other's in the PC if you just want them trapped there?

Sincerely
~PikakittenX

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I've come across a theory about this before: what if the player character is actually the one writing the entries? Like, whenever you catch a Pokemon, he just fills in whatever background info he knows and/or whatever nonsense he can come up with. It'd explain why they tend to make ridiculous exaggerated claims ("Charizard's flames can melt anything!", "Magikarp can leap over a mountain!", etc).

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
I've come across a theory about this before: what if the player character is actually the one writing the entries? Like, whenever you catch a Pokemon, he just fills in whatever background info he knows and/or whatever nonsense he can come up with. It'd explain why they tend to make ridiculous exaggerated claims ("Charizard's flames can melt anything!", "Magikarp can leap over a mountain!", etc).

I would love to believe that (quite an interesting theory) but I don't think it would work out. Professor Oak says in SoulSilver that "the Pokédex fill the pages automatically..."

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Just a theory, but the Pokeball and the PokeDex are both probably related and connected to some sort of computer containing Prof. Oak's collected data. The Pokeball probably scans the Pokemon caught and finishes and sends some data to the PokeDex so it can be recorded. This probably explained how Paul was able to scan his Pokeball using his PokeDex after catching a Pokemon...

Either that or it just came from Game Freak HQ itself lol.

Back